• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp Says Fox Is Ready to Make His ‘Alien’ Movie Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Geoffroy Thoorens, the concept artist who did those drawings, uploaded them in higher quality.
geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-poster.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-weyland.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-melting.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-hicks.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-hunting.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-alien5-building2.jpg

geoffroy-thoorens-2526adfb9e0fc4cbdaf955724d177073.jpg

jtb

Banned
baffled by the positivity here.

do not want. a terrible idea, questionable (at best) talent, etc.

Chappie looks terrible, too

Dude has released two movies and is already typecast? His greatest strength is his eye for art and industrial design. I think that would compliment Alien well!

About to be three and the third looks like it's going to come with another heavy handed, preachy message. The trailer itself makes it look like an ultra violent Short Circuit. Alien already has violence, robots, high tech guns and mech suits in the canon so it's probably like his favorite set of movies based on his body of work, lol.

Sephzilla

Not sure I'm okay with Hicks looking like Two-Face. I don't remember that much of his face getting hit with Xeno blood in Aliens. I always figured he'd have slight scarring above his eye onto his forehead at most.

baffled by the positivity here.

do not want. a terrible idea, questionable (at best) talent, etc.

Gotta love it when people act like they know everything about a film without reading a script or even before it goes into pre-production.

No offense of course, and I hope there's none taken. :p

- J - D -

Dude has released two movies and is already typecast? His greatest strength is his eye for art and industrial design. I think that would compliment Alien well!

His upcoming Chappie looks to be another in his vein of sci-fi social allegory films, which isn't a bad thing, mind you, but it doesn't belong in Alien.

Cardon

This seems like a concept better suited for a game.

Yeah, if the movie would potentially have Ripley and Hicks battling again and what have you, I would prefer it presented as a game rather than a movie. Just can't imagine what the effects work would be like to present an age appropriate version of Ripley and Hicks without it being too distracting.

jtb

Banned
Gotta love it when people act like they know everything about a film without reading a script or even before it goes into pre-production.

No offense of course, and I hope there's none taken. :p

haha, none taken. I'm just scarred by all the wonderful Alien movies we've gotten lately. and Elysium. none of these things seems to inspire much confidence and yet everyone's overjoyed. I don't get it!

His upcoming Chappie looks to be another in his vein of sci-fi social allegory films, which isn't a bad thing, mind you, but it doesn't belong in Alien.

It's a bad thing when it's handled as clumsily and heavy-handed as Blomkamp does it.

Yeah, if the movie would potentially have Ripley and Hicks battling again and what have you, I would prefer it presented as a game rather than a movie. Just can't imagine what the effects work would be like to present an age appropriate version of Ripley and Hicks without it being too distracting.

I imagine that like with any movie, the production and story would change based on what they can and can't realistically do. We've just seen concept art, and the script could still change radically. It's basically too early to start calling shots about any of this.

haha, none taken. I'm just scarred by all the wonderful Alien movies we've gotten lately. and Elysium. none of these things seems to inspire much confidence and yet everyone's overjoyed. I don't get it!

I mean, I don't really know either way right now, I just like to wait and see stuff before making any calls. I'm by no means a Blomkamp fan; I didn't even care for District 9 and have no interest in Elysium or Chappie. That being said, the guy can do atmosphere and I think he would know how to respect the franchise.

Is it me, or does this read a little like "Gosh I sure hope there are people out there who might want me to make this, the Hollywood grind is just sooooooo much to deal with but if there is a fan base maybe I'll put myself through it"?

LastNac

Doesn't seem like this is confirmed just yet but the possibility is exciting. Having the Prometheus story and this existing simultaneously is cool. Yes, I liked Prometheus. No, I don't care what you thought.

Damn it, we might clash hardcore over Star Wars EU but I got nothing but respect for you concerning everything else.

giphy.gif

You don't have to know much more than to know they're planning on doing a pseudo-sequel to ALIENS that ignores ALIEN 3 and continues on a weird parallel timeline, almost 30 years later than the movie it's sequelizing.

Again - we've seen this happen before, (Bryan Singer making a pseudo-sequel to the then non-existent Director's Cut of Superman II with Superman Returns) and the results were ultimately pretty disappointing.

You don't have to actually know the details of the story specifically to know that the concept's start point is problematic in and of itself.

I'm curious to see what his Non-Ripley idea was. THAT seems like something that could be interesting to pursue. But getting Weaver to come back and "fix" what happened on Alien 3 by essentially calling do-over 30 years later? That's a busted idea from jump.

LastNac

About to be three and the third looks like it's going to come with another heavy handed, preachy message. The trailer itself makes it look like an ultra violent Short Circuit. Alien already has violence, robots, high tech guns and mech suits in the canon so it's probably like his favorite set of movies based on his body of work, lol.

Wait, more violent?

18s0g3grlnxr5jpg.jpg

You don't have to know much more than to know they're planning on doing a pseudo-sequel to ALIENS that ignores ALIEN 3 and continues on a weird parallel timeline, almost 30 years later than the movie it's sequelizing.

Again - we've seen this happen before, (Bryan Singer making a pseudo-sequel to the then non-existent Director's Cut of Superman II with Superman Returns) and the results were ultimately pretty disappointing.

You don't have to actually know the details of the story specifically to know that the concept's start point is problematic in and of itself.

I'm curious to see what his Non-Ripley idea was. THAT seems like something that could be interesting to pursue. But getting Weaver to come back and "fix" what happened on Alien 3 by essentially calling do-over 30 years later? That's a busted idea from jump.

More like Chest-busted!

Sephzilla

Honestly I think I'd be perfectly fine with this movie not having Ripley and having Hicks as the main character

I actually wasn't calling you out and I get your concerns. I have no opinion of the story because I don't know what the story is beyond what it might involve based on early concept art, but that's not enough for me, personally, to go on. I imagine that if the film gets a greenlight that the current script will see changes based around what they think they can feasibly accomplish.

Damn it, we might clash hardcore over Star Wars EU but I got nothing but respect for you concerning everything else.

That makes you one of a kind, especially around here.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I was talking about Blomkamp's skill as a director a few weeks ago and realized how spotty his track record is. District 9 and that Halo spot were both great...but pretty much everything he's done since then has been shitty to meh quality. But considering this is Alien then I say go for it, can't possibly be worse than what's already been done.

Violet_0

Banned
some plot details: "An extraterrestrial spaceship strands near the townships of Cape Town. The film documents the ensuing struggle of Xenomorphs and humans trying to co-exist peacefully as scrupulous weapon manufacturers exploit the Alien visitors to create highly advanced weaponry. After a freak accident, Ripley finds herself slowly losing her humanity while also becoming more humane in the process"

I actually wasn't calling you out

I know, I was just using your response as a jumping off point.

I mean - bringing Weaver back is probably not the greatest idea anyway. Same with Biehn. Setting aside the weird vaguequel status this movie would occupy, I just don't think hauling those two back in front of the cameras (or shoving Weaver into a Tanookimorph suit) is a great way to move ALIEN forward. Prometheus WAS that opportunity, but then Fox & Scott essentially hollowed out the potential of the film by trying to distance the series from ALIEN (which they didn't even do well) and wrecking the script in the process.

There are possibilities for new stories in this universe. I wanna see what Blomkamp's pitch for the new story was, not the pitch for Ripley & Hicks' grimacing curtain call.

Believe it or not Alien 3 is my favourite film of all time. Why not eradicate AvP? We might have common ground there haha.

I actually like the Assembly Cut and the overall tone of the film. I'm glad Fincher recovered, because I admire him a good deal.
The younger version of me that was obsessed with ALIENS when Alien 3 hit the theater never forgave them for killing Newt and Hicks, though.

Some wounds never heal. :(

- J - D -

It's a bad thing when it's handled as clumsily and heavy-handed as Blomkamp does it.

Depending on how Chappie turns out, I might be willing to consider Elysium as an off-project, a misstep that he hopefully learned from.

Not ready to write him off yet.

LastNac

I was referring to myself, actually :p

I agree and I hope that Ripley/Hicks is cut from this if it happens.

Well let me dial that back, given I don't know your stance on Uncharted 3.

I alter what I said earlier to reflect that a lot of what you say I agree with.

And I was ready to see that shit close to the garbage bin where it belongs.

Oh, was I supposed to be hyped?

I know, I was just using your response as a jumping off point.

I mean - bringing Weaver back is probably not the greatest idea anyway. Same with Biehn. Setting aside the weird vaguequel status this movie would occupy, I just don't think hauling those two back in front of the cameras (or shoving Weaver into a Tanookimorph suit) is a great way to move ALIEN forward. Prometheus WAS that opportunity, but then Fox & Scott essentially hollowed out the potential of the film by trying to distance the series from ALIEN (which they didn't even do well) and wrecking the script in the process.

There are possibilities for new stories in this universe. I wanna see what Blomkamp's pitch for the new story was, not the pitch for Ripley & Hicks' grimacing curtain call.

Prometheus was basically just Scott's fanfiction, not the work of many individuals coming together to make something that had no right to be as great as it turned out. Reading up on how ALIEN came to be is like seeing a web of serendipity. The way that the studio wrote in Ash as a robot, made two characters female (allowing Scott to write backstories for each of them which then fueled the movie's dialogue), put in a fourth act, and then avoided 'laughingly bad' catastrophe by telling Scott that his idea wasn't going to work (biting Ripley's head off and giving the log speech in her voice... yes, that was his suggested ending. For realsies), not giving any information on the derelict ship, and both strangely and serendipitously having a clash with the composer of the movie thereby making SILENCE the major theme. Which then resulted in the infamous marketing tagline.

It's straight up bizarre how that project avoided torpedo's from all directions, including O' Bannon himself, who didn't like the direction it took one bit, but also never wrote a script on par with it either.

for the interested, this is his original screenplay:
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_early.html

Notice what he starts with: a map of how far (and not!) humans have gotten. That simple chart is where the entire story is basically laid out: space is slow, big, and silent. He actually bothered to put some real data in it:
starmap.jpg

This kind of data is nowhere to be seen in the Prometheus scripts.

Well let me dial that back, given I don't know your stance on Uncharted 3.

I thought it was... like the other Uncharted games. I have no clue where the hate stems from, apart from Uncharted 2 being placed on a pedestal which bred elitism. That might have something to do with it.

Sliver

People getting mad about sequels/reboots has always confused me. Worst case scenario is that it sucks... the original will always be there.

I say they should throw as much shit out there and see what sticks.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
As long as Sharlto Copley isn't in it, could be interesting on a purely visual level. They couldn't shit up the franchise more if they tried, at this point.

Still, I agree with the 'semi faithful slog' comment earlier - dress it up like the early movies, but they'll never achieve that greatness again. Move on.

I will say that the only thing that has genuinely impressed and amazed me from this franchise in decades has been Alien: Isolation.

rou021

Given how there have been more bad Alien sequels than good, my expectations are already low. I've become numb to being disappointed by them. I've now just accepted anything new will probably be shit. Yet, I'm still excited by a Blomkamp Alien film. I doubt it could get any worse with him at the helm anyway. I mean even if everything else is terrible, it'll at least have top notch SFX and cool action sequences. And that's something this franchise hasn't much of in awhile.

You apparently don't remember when J5 dons the Mohawk and gold chains and goes berserk Mr T style.

I'm interested in Chappie's preachy message, whatever it is. Robots and Aliens have rights too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom