• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp Says Fox Is Ready to Make His ‘Alien’ Movie Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, I'd bring back Newt, too. With the same actress. And Lance Henrikson is still going, right? Dunno how they'd explain him looking so old, but... eh, the script probably wouldn't do all these guys justice. There was a time when this story needed to be told, on Earth, with Weyland-Yutani as a major antagonistic force, but that time has passed.

I'm fairly sure that Carrie Henn never acted again outside of her role as Newt. She didn't even bother to come back for A3 because (a) they killed her character off, and when you do see her for a couple brief moments, it's a different actress, and (b) she grew up quite fast between 1986 and 1992. They could bring the character back, but then they'd need to put in an explanation over why she aged so much - or just recast the part.

I think Weaver and Biehn could conceivably be brought back if they toned up a bit, but Henriksen's up there and seems to be split between voice work and film roles as the older gruff authority figure.

You can't really say that "W-Y's time has passed" when Isolation used a similar plot as the original film and had a different spin on things that worked really well (namely, showing that not all W-Y employees were mindlessly corrupt, just that they don't understand what they're up against). A new film could do justice to W-Y if it's handled well.

A-V-B

I'm fairly sure that Carrie Henn never acted against outside of her role as Newt. She didn't even bother to come back for A3 because (a) they killed her character off, and when you do see her for a couple brief moments, it's a different actress, and (b) she grew up quite fast between 1986 and 1992. They could bring the character back, but then they'd need to put in an explanation over why she aged so much - or just recast the part.

I think Weaver and Biehn could conceivably be brought back if they toned up a bit, but Henriksen's up there and seems to be split between voice work and film roles as the older gruff authority figure.

You can't really say that "W-Y's time has passed" when Isolation used a similar plot as the original film and had a different spin on things that worked really well (namely, showing that not all W-Y employees were mindlessly corrupt, just that they don't understand what they're up against). A new film could do justice to W-Y if it's handled well.

It's not specifically that W-Y can't be the antagonists anymore, but the specific combination of Ripley and company living on Earth, and the xenomorph outbreak going down. That story would've been perfect had it been the sequel to Aliens, at close to that time, with James Cameron writing and directing. It needed a specific chemistry, and I don't think you can dig that one up anymore.

It's not specifically that W-Y can't be the antagonists anymore, but the specific combination of Ripley and company living on Earth, and the xenomorph outbreak going down. That story would've been perfect had it been the sequel to Aliens, at close to that time, with James Cameron writing and directing. It needed a specific chemistry, and I don't think you can dig that one up anymore.

There's no time limit on these things. If the material's good enough, I don't see why they shouldn't take another crack at it, regardless of whether it's a movie or a game.

I'd opt for the latter, as Isolation did a stellar job of making the material sound credible by including the cast of the original film and staying true to the overarching concepts and themes at a level that hasn't been seen in years.

I'd love to see a film that knocks A3 and 4 out of canon if the story's up to snuff, Earth war or not.

Really REALLY conflicted on this. I loved District 9 (haven't seen any of his other works), but still I'm a bit "eehhhh...."
It will be interesting to see what direction this will take during production.

Blomkamp has made two full length features each about class conflict with sci-fi twist. Class conflict (wealth) is the strongest tension in modern society, more so than racism and religion. So why do some people not want to see a morality tale featuring this perspective? What does too obvious mean? Because these issues exist but some don't like the guilt from seeing the other perspectives. At least he has a voice and is trying to say something!

Blomkamp has made two full length features each about class conflict with sci-fi twist. Class conflict (wealth) is the strongest tension in modern society, more so than racism and religion. So why do some people not want to see a morality tale featuring this perspective? What does too obvious mean? Because these issues exist but some don't like the guilt from seeing the other perspectives. At least he has a voice and is trying to say something!
I really enjoyed Elysium. I actually liked it more than D9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom