• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp Says Fox Is Ready to Make His ‘Alien’ Movie Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about Blomkamp's skill as a director a few weeks ago and realized how spotty his track record is. District 9 and that Halo spot were both great...but pretty much everything he's done since then has been shitty to meh quality. But considering this is Alien then I say go for it, can't possibly be worse than what's already been done.

What has he made besides elysium since then?

spookyfish

Doesn't seem like this is confirmed just yet but the possibility is exciting. Having the Prometheus story and this existing simultaneously is cool. Yes, I liked Prometheus. No, I don't care what you thought.

But what if my thought was that Prometheus was flawed, but fantastic nonetheless?

This is the best day ever.
What a wonderful time to be alive :')

I just can't get my hopes up yet. I just ... can't. A great wrong would be righted with an attempt such as this film.

I'm a Blomkamp fan. District 9 remains one of my favourite films. Elysium is a flawed film, but far from terrible. As a visual experience it's one of the better bits of science fiction I've seen in a long time.

But I'm not sure about this. I don't want to see clone Weaver don a xeno-suit and split people in half in HD slo-mo.

give him an 80 million dollar budget with this

because the moment you start increasing your blomkamp movie will become shittier and shittier

WedgeX

Banned
Bloomkamp going to fulfill my Alienated prediction?

Huh. I buy this.

Gleefully awaiting Alienated starring Carrie Henn and co. awakening to an Earth surrounded by Queen-ravaged space stations. Only one aging couple and their precocious 40 yo adopted daughter can hear Earth scream.

Hell yes.

SArcher

Banned
Ignoring some of the sequels worked for the X-Men franchise. Maybe it could work for this. Get grown up Newt in there too.

Nameless

Xenoripley looks & sounds like an all-time terrible idea. Would rather have D9II if that's really the direction he's going down.

bengraven

Might not by XenoRipley. That's the Jockey's gear she's wearing. Might be using it to fly something.

FOX should just combine the Fantastic Four and Alien universe already.

Written by Warren Ellis.

No one knows how to cause misery with Aliens better...and no one loves to give misery to the FF like him.

I just got rock hard at the though of an Alien movie with the visual effects of D9 and Elysium.

Say what you want about Prometheus, but it wasn't lacking for visuals. I'd take Scott's visual eye over Blomkamp's 'throw dirt on it' mentality any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

abadguy

Banned
Doesn't seem like this is confirmed just yet but the possibility is exciting. Having the Prometheus story and this existing simultaneously is cool. Yes, I liked Prometheus. No, I don't care what you thought.

I liked it too.

I was talking about Blomkamp's skill as a director a few weeks ago and realized how spotty his track record is. District 9 and that Halo spot were both great...but pretty much everything he's done since then has been shitty to meh quality. But considering this is Alien then I say go for it, can't possibly be worse than what's already been done.

"Everything he's done since district 9 and the Halo shorts" So basically the ONE movie he directed after District 9 right?

Busty

Banned
As far as directing is concerned Neill Blomkamp is an emperor with no clothes.

District 9 was a great film. Elysium was poor and I hear Chappie isn't knocking it out of the park either.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm excited to hear about this, though I'm not familiar with Elysium or the word on Chappie. Might be the guy has great concepts and messaging, but loses focus in them.

Project like this would likely be far more focused and keep him to task if that's the issue.

So Aliens sound exciting, sure...
but the bigger news? He did the art himself? He's QUITE an artist. Wow. Had no idea! Assumed he hired someone!

First the MCU Spider-man news and now this? Hicks and Ripley? Yes, please.

What awesome week for my movie fanboy self. Didn't realize he made those artworks himself. Wow.

Busty

Banned
There is zero doubt in my mind that Fox will give Blomkamp $100m+ to make a glorified fan fiction Aliens sequel starring 65yo Sigourney Weaver and 58yo Michael Biehn.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
X-Men vs Aliens would be hot stuff!
4751x.jpg
Like this?

Mechazawa

*Hey, this art looks pretty cool, I can't remember why I was so ambivalent to th-"

*scroll down to Ripley xenomorph exosuit*

"Oh right, kill me now."

I don't know....

He has some amazing direction but his stories are morally obvious and paper thin.
District 9 was interesting, but still a high school level lecture on treating poor people as equals. Elsyium was so anti capitalism it was insulting at times, while his Chappie looks like a short circuit ripoff on the Frankenstein/Pinocchio trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom