• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neill Blomkamp Says Fox Is Ready to Make His ‘Alien’ Movie Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All I can think when I see that Riplalien pic is Starcraft's Kerrigen. So basically Alien->Starcraft->Alien if it happened :p

Branduil

Going to reiterate what I said the last time this came and just say how stupid it is to make Ripley this quasi-mythical figure when all she was only ever just a space trucker who was lucky and quick-thinking enough to survive. There's no logical reason she should automatically be in an Alien movie.

Agreed with BobbyRoberts on a non-Ripley and new story in this cinematic universe being the better course of direction. He could do something like Prometheus but nail the execution, and that all depends on the script or relying less on simple messages but more on overwhelming unnatural horror.
No.

I don't want this.

You're going to end up with ALIEN universe equivalent of Superman Returns. A semi-faithful slog through notes we've already seen hit better by better directors, occupying a strange storytelling space that is almost guaranteed to leave people feeling like they went in hoping for a blowjob and got dryhumped instead.

You don't have to know much more than to know they're planning on doing a pseudo-sequel to ALIENS that ignores ALIEN 3 and continues on a weird parallel timeline, almost 30 years later than the movie it's sequelizing.

Again - we've seen this happen before, (Bryan Singer making a pseudo-sequel to the then non-existent Director's Cut of Superman II with Superman Returns) and the results were ultimately pretty disappointing.

You don't have to actually know the details of the story specifically to know that the concept's start point is problematic in and of itself.

I'm curious to see what his Non-Ripley idea was. THAT seems like something that could be interesting to pursue. But getting Weaver to come back and "fix" what happened on Alien 3 by essentially calling do-over 30 years later? That's a busted idea from jump.

I know, I was just using your response as a jumping off point.

I mean - bringing Weaver back is probably not the greatest idea anyway. Same with Biehn. Setting aside the weird vaguequel status this movie would occupy, I just don't think hauling those two back in front of the cameras (or shoving Weaver into a Tanookimorph suit) is a great way to move ALIEN forward. Prometheus WAS that opportunity, but then Fox & Scott essentially hollowed out the potential of the film by trying to distance the series from ALIEN (which they didn't even do well) and wrecking the script in the process.

There are possibilities for new stories in this universe. I wanna see what Blomkamp's pitch for the new story was, not the pitch for Ripley & Hicks' grimacing curtain call.

Tesseract

Banned
Going to reiterate what I said the last time this came and just say how stupid it is to make Ripley this quasi-mythical figure when all she was only ever just a space trucker who was lucky and quick-thinking enough to survive. There's no logical reason she should automatically be in an Alien movie.

say that to her face not online fucker

Honestly, I was happy just leaving it so that it was:

Alien > Alien: Isolation > Aliens

Cause that sets up my perfect Alien saga.

But if this film actually was made, and it was as good as I hope in my brain, and it totally wipes away 3 and 4, I am so down.

I have no faith in Blomkamp, especially if he's going to write it too. Dude is very limited in his storytelling. Let him handle the special effects, but that's it.

shaki123

Maybe this is a stupid question:

Is it his plan to use Sigourney Weaver or not? I wonder this because of this statement: "I had come up with an idea that didn’t have Sigourney, it was a different idea. But I spent all of the shooting time with her, it was like, holy shit, that could actually be really interesting."

It would be awesome to see Weaver close off her legacy in the Alien universe with a final (and more fitting end) to her saga. She is in tiptop shape and can even be in better shape if she trains for it. I am very sure she would want to do it one more time. but please make her the focus of the move ala Alien (1) or Alien: Isolation. Actually, an Isolation-kind of story would be awesome. I don't want much action. I want more suspense and tension like the first one. While Aliens is a great movie, it is totally different in tone compared to the original Alien (and vision of the universe). I really hope they go back to their roots if they continue on with this. Also, Blomkamp as a director doesn't seem like a very good idea. He has made one amazing movie among good or avergae ones and the risk is simply too big for him (and his resume) to take on a movie in this franchise. I think Guillermo del Toro would be a better choice (at least visually).

District 9 is a good movie but Elysium was crap, sound mixing sucked.plot, plot was dull and paper thin.

Chappie looks really good but only for Chappie himself. Poor bastard.

I don't know....

He has some amazing direction but his stories are morally obvious and paper thin.
District 9 was interesting, but still a high school level lecture on treating poor people as equals. Elsyium was so anti capitalism it was insulting at times, while his Chappie looks like a short circuit ripoff on the Frankenstein/Pinocchio trope.

+_7163990b4f3a977689286e8655533874.jpg

You have to dumb these things down for Americans. Even then they get confused.

Honestly, I was happy just leaving it so that it was:

Alien > Alien: Isolation > Aliens

Cause that sets up my perfect Alien saga.

But if this film actually was made, and it was as good as I hope in my brain, and it totally wipes away 3 and 4, I am so down.

Blomkamp and co. should just give this to Creative Assembly. They showed that they figured out how to nail the tone and design of that world without feeling reliant on continuity nods, far moreso than anyone associated with FOX has done in the last few xenomorph-focused films.

Judging from this concept art, I'd love to see a Ripley/Hicks team-up game which starts with them infiltrating W-Y's bioweapons division (with Ripley using the explosive vest as a dead man's switch like that concept art shows), then progress to them discovering that the company has successfully bred the xenos in their absence and shipped them offworld to a station/another planet. Have them conducting guerilla warfare on W-Y before progressing to the all-out warfare that was hinted at in the early concepts of A3 and you'd have a winner.

Say what you want about Prometheus, but it wasn't lacking for visuals. I'd take Scott's visual eye over Blomkamp's 'throw dirt on it' mentality any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Between this and your love for John Carter's 'dog', I must say I'm in love with you. :p

Agreed. I don't want to see her in this. Frankly, Weaver shouldn't have been in any of the movies...her acting is terrible.

andycapps

I'd love to see this happen. I would hope that he'd tone down some of his political views some. While I don't mind seeing them in movies, his tend to be pretty heavy handed and make me roll my eyes at how overt the themes are.

That said, Alien has always been a fairly political film series, IMO. But it hasn't been as overt as Blomkamp's are, which is where I would hope that if Fox greenlights this that he is told to tone it down some.

I don't know....

He has some amazing direction but his stories are morally obvious and paper thin.
District 9 was interesting, but still a high school level lecture on treating poor people as equals. Elsyium was so anti capitalism it was insulting at times, while his Chappie looks like a short circuit ripoff on the Frankenstein/Pinocchio trope.

District 9 was subtle as a sledgehammer, but at least the movie had something to say. It was very well-directed too.

This is a very unpopular opinion amongst fans. I do presume you know this?

I know, and I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. Mostly I liked the first two films. Everything I've seen her in, I get the impression that she's struggling to remember her lines. Maybe that's just her style.

RDreamer

I still haven't forgiven him for how freakishly bad Elysium was. The previews for Chappie really make me think it's got the same sort of awful as hell script, too.

Sephzilla

I've always kind of felt the same way. I was perfectly fine with Ripley being the main character for the second half of Alien and all of Aliens, but she should have been allowed to have a happy ending and be phased out of the franchise after Aliens. I still wish we would have gotten the Alien 3 where Bishop and Hicks take over as main characters and go Xeno hunting.

shaki123

I cannot believe this script (or outline) will be approved by Fox. Reason is that they consider Alien 3 and Colonial Marines as canon in the Alien universe. With this script everything should be retconned.

spookyfish

I don't know....

Interesting. I didn't see Elysium as being anti-Capitalist -- I saw it as being anti-Elitist, which isn't the same thing. (More Fascist, in that certain groups are allowed to thrive, via government intervention.)

But then, that's what I thought was good about it. I think "both sides" could see what they wanted to see in it, which for me was pretty adept.

I cannot believe this script (or outline) will be approved by Fox. Reason is that they consider Alien 3 and Colonial Marines as canon in the Alien universe. With this script everything should be retconned.

After X-Men: DOFP, maybe Fox isn't scared of retconning ...

shaki123

Co-signed, and I actually quite liked Alien 3
Director's Cut

There is no (real) Alien3 Director's Cut or Alien 1 Director's Cut. Alien 3 has an Assembly Cut which (according to the guys who made it) closely resembles David Fincher's original vision for his movie before the guys at Fox stripped his movie down to the original Theatrical Cut. Fincher always declined to work on the movie for a Director's Cut.

Sephzilla

Colonial Marines kind of goes against your entire point though considering
Colonial Marines retcons Hicks death in Alien 3
. Plus Fox also approved Days of Future Past.

A-V-B

time to fuckin' erase Alien 3 from the timeline, baby.

Bring back Rip and Hicks, boyeeeeeeeeeee!

Shit, I'd bring back Newt, too. With the same actress. And Lance Henrikson is still going, right? Dunno how they'd explain him looking so old, but... eh, the script probably wouldn't do all these guys justice. There was a time when this story needed to be told, on Earth, with Weyland-Yutani as a major antagonistic force, but that time has passed.

Yen

I don't know....

:lol

Lime

Please no Ripley. She's like the drunk uncle that overstays his welcome and awkward refuses to leave the party

rou021

Weaver's acting being bad in the Alien films? Did I...did I read that right? Wasn't she nominated for an Oscar for Aliens?

I doubt Fox--or really anyone--gives a shit about Colonial Marines enough to keep it in canon. That's if Randy Pitchford was even telling the truth about it being canon in the first place. He wasn't exactly honest about the rest of the game. And as much as Alien 3 might have a cult following these days, I similarly doubt most would care if it were written out (provided the newer movie is better).

As much as I'd love to see a Hicks/Ripley reunion, it probably wouldn't work though. That Superman Returns analogy is pretty on point. Yet, it would probably still be better than the last few installments. With a bar so low, I'd be more easily impressed.

Ezalc

Shit, I'd bring back Newt, too. With the same actress. And Lance Henrikson is still going, right? Dunno how they'd explain him looking so old, but... eh, the script probably wouldn't do all these guys justice. There was a time when this story needed to be told, on Earth, with Weyland-Yutani as a major antagonistic force, but that time has passed.

Apparently the girl who played Newt decided not to pursue a career in acting.

As people seem to be saying an alternate sequel from Aliens. Have the cryopods malfunction to account for the ageing. Undo Hicks' death, recast Newt and boom. Intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom