• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giolon said:
The MvC stick has a slightly different button layout (at least on the 360)

The SF4 sticks go like this:
X Y RB LB
A B RT LT

But the MvC sticks go like this:

X Y LB LT
A B RB RT

Big deal? Not really, but it's a difference.

But as far as build quality they're the same? I'm just worried one sucks as far as build quality but they're both made by mad catz I think so they should be the same...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But as far as build quality they're the same? I'm just worried one sucks as far as build quality but they're both made by mad catz I think so they should be the same...

I own both the MvC2 TE and a regular Round 1 - yes, build quality is identical. They have the exact same cases, quality of buttons/joystick lever, and PCB. Just different colors/art/button layout.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
h3ro, after talking to my web store dudes, he said he was going thru the refund list still. It might take awhile to show up on your bank/credit statement.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I didn't even know this thread existed and since Markman is ignoring me I hope someone can help me here. Is there any difference between the marvel vs. capcom 2 sticks and the tournament editions of the SF4 sticks? Or are they the say build wise but just have different graphics on them? I want the MVC2 one but I just wanted to make sure the build quality was good like the street fighter one is. Thanks.

I wasn't intentionally ignoring you. My apologies. You gotta understand, I don't get a chance to even read/view all my PMs (just saw yours now).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Building an army of these things...

4677582269_719caf24e6_b.jpg

Giolon

Giolon said:
I placed my first ever order with Lizard Lick earlier in the week. Unfortunately it was half wrong. I ordered 1 White Sanwa Balltop, 2 White OBSF-30 buttons, and 4 Black OBSF-30 buttons. What I received were 2 Black/White buttons and the 4 black buttons - no ball top. I double checked my Paypal receipt to see if I ordered the wrong things by mistake, but nope it clearly says White and not Black/White as they are listed on the site.

Based on everybody's experiences with these guys, I am fairly confident that this will get resolved in an acceptable manner (already e-mailed them), but I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

Previously I had ordered from arcadespareparts.com in Hong Kong, and never had any problems.

The update: My missing balltop and correct buttons arrived today. They even let me keep the incorrect Black/White buttons as spares! Thanks for the great service. I doubly endorse Lizardlick! (thumbs up!)

Byshop

Completely custom 4 Player Control board. Ordered the wood precut from an online arcade parts company. All Happ buttons, two Happ 8 way joysticks for players 1 and 2, two Ultimarc analog joysticks for players 3 and 4. Ultimarc control board converts all the microswitch inputs to KB input. Not pictured in these older shots are the 3" trackball I added later and the two Cthulhu boards for PS3 support. All of this is mounted in a cabinet that is powered by a PC, PS3 and 360.

9616_163095908264_760983264_2592910_3113028_n.jpg

6332_114352568264_760983264_1993726_2806676_n.jpg

-Byshop

Awesome job man, love the fact you went with HAPP parts. Most of this Kids born in the late 80's and early 90's think Sanwa is the greatest thing since the first arrival of Christ. Is there anything else your gour going to add to the cabinet(Like Artwork or lighting)?

Ledsen

ShinobiFist said:
Awesome job man, love the fact you went with HAPP parts. Most of this Kids born in the late 80's and early 90's think Sanwa is the greatest thing since the first arrival of Christ. Is there anything else your gour going to add to the cabinet(Like Artwork or lighting)?

...or people who aren't American. We never had any Happ stuff.

ShinobiFist said:
Born in 1980, and I despise the bat top sticks. They're too chunky. And don't get me started on leif switches.

ShinobiFist said:

I prefer Seimitsu to Sanwa to Happ. I don't like how inaccurate the Happ stuff feels now that I'm used to the others.

Byshop

ShinobiFist said:

Thanks man. This has been the most fun geek project I've ever worked on. The thing I love about this project is that it doesn't ever have to end. :)

Current plans are adding a spinner (I have a hole for it) and light guns since my monitor is a Wells Gardner d9400 27" CRT and can use real arcade light guns (know any good ones with motorized slides?)

After that, I may work my way back around to cosmetic mods like lighted buttons, glowing trackball and some other fun stuff. Currently I'm puzzling through the best way to get it to work on an Xbox 360 with 2 players. I have an XFPS 360 hooked up to it now that converts the keyboard keypresses of the Ultimarc controller into 360 controller input, but that only works for one player since I can't split a bidirectional serial keyboard signal into two XFPS controllers and expect it to work. Double wiring players 1 and 2 into a Cthulhu board each works for PS3, but 360's locked down controller spec makes this difficult. Best I could do would be to triple wire players 1 and 2 between the Ultimarc, the Chthulhus and a couple hacked up wired 360 controllers. That's a lot of work and I anticipate problems (I already had an issue where the Cthlulhus didn't want to be double wired to the Ultimarc with a common ground). As for art, I have to admit I'm not very artistic but I'll circle back around to that once I get all the functionality done.

Eventually I'm going to build a second cabinet for "modern" fighting games that support HD and widescreen and reserve this cabinet for legacy stuff, but I have a wedding coming up and dropping that kind of cash wouldn't thrill the fiance.

I'm pretty old-school so I like the Happ controls. I also have square restrictor plates on the joysticks because that's what I'm used to from back in the day, even though I know that the modern SF games use octagonal plates.

-Byshop

GeorgeC

Banned
ShinobiFist said:

I'm old enough to remember when Pac-Man was a brand-new game...

I NEVER liked the joysticks in American arcades.

It wasn't until I got my first Mad Catz TE that I discovered the wonders of Sanwa arcade parts.

Sorry, but I prefer sensitivity and joystick parts and buttons that don't wear out my hands after 10 minutes...!

Okay, the LS-32-01 and Pearl buttons are great, too!

GeorgeC

Banned
jepjepjep said:
Anyone know where to find a HRAP2 SA these days?

Good luck finding one in the States!

One of the harder sticks to find now.

They were so plentiful around a year ago and seemed to have disappeared last fall.

They occasionally come up in Trader's Forums in different gaming sites but that's about it now.

Maybe people just think the blue-and-white combo is sexy and desirable? :lol

IF you're okay with modding and button-swapping, it'd be easier at this point in time (and far less expensive) to buy an HRAP 2 (standard) and install Sanwa buttons and capsocket screws.

Capsockets are a worthwhile mod that'll make it so you'll NEVER have to open up the stick from the bottom ever again. Just six screws off the top plate and you can get inside to tinker to your heart's content. Why more people don't do that mod is beyond me...!

The capsockets are the biggest difference (besides the all-Sanwa buttons) between the SA and standard HRAP 2 at any rate.

REPEAT AFTER ME --- carriage bolts bad! Carriage bolts evil!

I've seen HRAP 2's selling for ridiculously low amounts on e-Bay lately... As long as the PCB is fine I don't see what anybody's missing from the SA model to be frank.

Collector-itis, I guess.

Ask MarkMan.

He's the leader of the JA (Joysticks Anonymous) chapter in his neighborhood.

Nabs

just picked up some sanwa buttons, should be interesting. only got 6, since i don't really use the other 2 buttons ever.

Byshop

_dementia said:
no they don't

So you're saying the Sanwa SFIV TE sticks come with square gates? I have a couple at home but I seldom use them and I'm not there to test this right now. Please elaborate.

-Byshop

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Byshop said:
So you're saying the Sanwa SFIV TE sticks come with square gates? I have a couple at home but I seldom use them and I'm not there to test this right now. Please elaborate.

-Byshop

They are square.

GeorgeC

Banned
OEM JLF's come with Square Gates... UNLESS you're buying a joystick that was modded or had the square gate replaced with an octagonal gate.

To my knowledge all the joystick bases and arcade machines that have JLF's have square gates as the standard gate...

BTW, that Agetec Dreamcast Arcade stick modded with the blue arcade parts....

VERY sharp-looking!

One of the better looking mods of what has to be one of the best-designed cases ever built for joysticks!

I wish THAT base design were revived for a new production run with Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.

I'm already thinking about getting another Agetec DC Stick in the near future...

MoxManiac

Got my shipping credited back. Thanks MarkMan and Madcatz. :D

..and I just noticed Dell is selling the round 1 TE for $89.99 w/ free shipping. Damn..

GeorgeC said:
To my knowledge all the joystick bases and arcade machines that have JLF's have square gates as the standard gate...

In Japan you still run into a lot of machines with octagonal or even round gates. I imagine almost all SF4 machines are standard square gates, I haven't played any SF4 in the arcades. But I run into JLFs and other Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks with octagonal and round gates all the time.

noodalls

cimg8912.jpg

cimg8919.jpg

cimg8920.jpg

cimg8921.jpg

cimg8922.jpg

This is my second attempt at a programmable stick. First one was two Mayflashes, an arduino and an LCD screen. Worked well but rubbish to play on and rubbish to look at. Hence, the motivation to try again.

This one is an astro-city panel, 2xCthlhu MCs, an LCD screen, 8 LEDs, and soon a PS3eye attached for player/hand-cam.

Pretty much done for now, the only thing I would think to add would be a shutting lid, and perhaps storage for the cables. Also, the PS3eye isn't actually attached yet, waiting til my replacement arrives before I do that. LEDs are in place now, no real functionality yet but will think of something. Wondering if I can find some opaque covers for them as they look a little small as is, and the drill holes are very obvious around them.

Will try some art for it one day. Will add GCN/PSX functionality one day.

HRAP3 for size comparison. This is no laptop stick.

Probably better to look at the videos here
http://www.youtube.com/user/noodalls

as it gives a better idea of what the stick is capable of.

P.s. Cthulhus work like a charm, they seriosuly reduced the amount of effort this took.

dankir

Hey Markman, if I get a USB to Xbox 1 adaptor will my Madcatz TE stick work on the original xbox? I want to play 3rd strike with it.

Thanx!

h3ro

Got the email for the refunded shipping fee a few days ago, MM. Thanks so much for the great support.

The stick is phenomenal! I already had an SE that I modded with Sanwa JLF/buttons but the TE just feels so much more weighty and solid on my lap. Really enjoying playing on it. Even went and broke out some BlazBlue just to play some other games besides Super on it.

Thanks again. :D

GeorgeC

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
In Japan you still run into a lot of machines with octagonal or even round gates. I imagine almost all SF4 machines are standard square gates, I haven't played any SF4 in the arcades. But I run into JLFs and other Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks with octagonal and round gates all the time.

That's different!

The way the SRK folks talk, EVERYTHING in Japan has square gates!

Frankly, I could care less... I HATE square gates and use what's more comfortable for me... not what someone else tells me "ALL the pros" use!

First, I turned to octagonal then after I after I got a modded square gate (turned into a circular gate by another SRK member), I modded two more square gates into circles myself!

I honestly gave the square gates a chance -- and got HALF-GOOD at them on the LS-32-01 -- but they never felt comfortable to me on the JLF's.

Circular gates feel more comfortable to me and I've never had problems doing diagonals or charge moves with them....

GeorgeC said:
That's different!

The way the SRK folks talk, EVERYTHING in Japan has square gates!

Yeah, it's definitely not true though. Oct gates, while not the norm, are still pretty common in Japan; especially on fighting games machines.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Sorry I'll go through here and answer questions in the morning, just wanted to share this...

4702096703_2824ccffee_b.jpg

Follow @MadCatzInc and @MarkMan23 on Twitter for your chance to win our E3 Swag Pack!

4702729556_9b07f1d43b_b.jpg

remz

So uh, just had two of my buttons on my SE become almost totally unresponsive.

Those buttons being X, RT, and LT. They keep cutting around during games, making stuff like SF an exercise in frustration.

am I boned? or should I just like, put some sanwas in or something.

Nabs

that happened to me when i got my SE. it started with one button, then two. i ended up switching those two with two i never use (ppp/kkk). while doing that, i started messing with the "broken" buttons. the small black piece (where the wires connect) could be twisted off and removed. so i did that, and put it back on... and yeah... the buttons worked better.

i still didn't like 'em, so i just ordered sanwa buttons from lizardlick. if you have twenty bucks to spend, it's totally worth it.

Solune

MarkMan said:
Sorry I'll go through here and answer questions in the morning, just wanted to share this...

Follow @MadCatzInc and @MarkMan23 on Twitter for your chance to win our E3 Swag Pack!

@ work right now but, are canadians eligible to win?

Shadow780 said:
It's around the same price for the Japanese ver.
actually the Japanese version was 30,000 yen plus shipping
ask markman but i think it was over $400 per unit after shipping

And yeah it's not a mass-market consumer stick and therefore not priced accordingly. It's a collector's novelty thing that clones the Vewlix panel (but it's disappointingly much smaller than an actual control panel).

The V3 and VX are the high-end consumer sticks to match Madcatz's offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom