• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
_dementia said:
Those gold sticks are absolutely garish, but I'm sure they won't be coveted for their looks anyway.

Gold is 50/50 with most people.

Like... Some people prefer girls. Some prefer guys.

Just sayin. ;)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
7/6 - 7/13: Mad Catz EVO2010 Promo - FADC INTO ULTRA SAVINGS + NEW PARTS & SHIRTS!

NOTE: THIS ONLINE PROMOTION IS ONLY VALID FROM JULY 6 - JULY 13, 2010!

ALSO NOTE, ONLY ONE COUPON CODE CAN BE USED AT A TIME! IF YOU WANT TO GET A DISCOUNT ON BOTH A SUPER STREET FIGHTER ORDER AND/OR A REGULAR TE STICK ORDER, FIGHTPAD/SE FIGHTSTICK YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE SEPARATE ORDERS!

These promos expire end of day July 13th!

---

Mad Catz® Interactive, Inc. (“Mad Catz” or “the Company”) (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider today a full schedule of promotions, activities and sponsored events to take place at the Evolution 2010 Championship Series taking place at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada from July 9 through to July 11 2010.

The Evolution Championship Series (EVO for short) represents the largest and longest-running fighting game tournaments in the world. EVO events bring together the best of the best from around the world in a dazzling exhibition of skill and fun, as players and fans gather to honor the competitive spirit in an open format and determine a champion.

Widely recognized as the fighting game controller of choice by professional gamers, casual fans and critics alike, the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV™ Arcade FightStick: Tournament Edition has been chosen as the EVO 2010 Championship Series ‘Official Controller’ and in celebration, team Mad Catz’ superstar player, ‘Daigo “The Beast” Umehara will be attending the EVO 2010 tournament on behalf of Mad Catz where the esteemed champion will be signing autographs as well as giving fearless gamers an opportunity to test their skills in one-on-one bouts of Super Street Fighter IV™.

Fans attending the EVO 2010 tournament will have an opportunity to catch an exclusive look at ‘never before seen’ limited edition FightStick designs, and enthusiasts are invited to bring their Tournament Edition FightSticks along where they will have an opportunity to customize their stick through purchasing exclusive parts and components including new bezels and shaft covers which will be available in no less than 13 striking colors! Newcomers to the fighting game scene will have the opportunity to try out the acclaimed FightSticks for themselves and purchase any one of the Mad Catz FightStick range on site. Fans attending just for fun can still walk away a winner as Mad Catz will be running regular raffles and contests giving away exclusive prizes to a fortunate few!

As an official sponsor of the EVO 2010 Championship Series Mad Catz will proudly be contributing the winner’s prize fund as well as providing the lucky eight Super Street Fighter IV qualifiers with exclusive ‘Gold Plated’ Tournament Edition Arcade FightSticks.

Mad Catz look forward to welcoming fighting game fans at the EVO 2010 Championship Series. For further information, please visit: EVO2K.COM

---

Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more deals & promotions in the future!

Mad Catz - EVO2010 Promotion
Hello everyone! MarkMan here with another discount for the gaming community <3 !

There will be another special Mad Catz Store ( GameShark Store ) promotion going on this week/weekend!

I'll be in Sin City (Las Vegas) at THE BIG ONE, this weekend's EVOLUTION 2010 gaming event plugging this website promo and showing off some of our new products...

Once again we will be doing 20-30% off certain products!

The 20%* OFF Super Street Fighter IV includes the following... CODE = SUPEREVO

SS44738_WHITE.jpg
SS48838_BLACK.jpg

88280_RYU.jpg
47280_JURI.jpg

The 30%* OFF** product list includes the following... CODE = EVOLUTION

TVC5718.jpg
MV2-4738.jpg

4738.gif
4718.gif
4728-guile.jpg

• Tatsunoko VS. Capcom Arcade FightStick for Wii
  • MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (Standard Edition) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV FightPad (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

The $50* OFF** & FREE GROUND SHIPPING... CODE = EVOSTICK

SF4-RD2-4738.jpg

• Street Fighter IV "Round 2" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE our NEW range of Mad Catz FightStick Parts. Currently we have dust cover sets (with the arrowed design) and bezels for the Tournament Edition sticks. With MORE to come!

stick_shaft_dust_cyan.jpg
stick_bezel_lightpurple.jpg

• FightStick Parts - Dust Cover Set (13 different colors)
  • FightStick Parts - Bezel (13 different colors)
Here are some shots of what the parts look like on a stick...

26584_328774448882_507353882_3611114_1721972_n.jpg

37290_402649548882_507353882_4431258_7427095_n.jpg

Also NEW to our web store is the LIMITED EDITION shirt inspired by legendary fighting game player, Daigo "THE BEAST" Umehara...

TShirt-TeamMad.jpg

• Team Mad Catz T-Shirt (Available in S, M, L, XL, 2XL)
For a shirt size chart, please reference this link.

ALSO, as a special bonus for all orders going through for the EVO promotional campaign... I'd like to present the Mad Catz "Aura Blue" Arcade FightStick TE Key Chain! All orders using any of the above promo codes will receive a free keychain (while supplies last)! Please use promo code KEYCHAIN if you are ordering a shirt or FightStick parts to ensure you get one!

4702096703_2824ccffee.jpg

* Offer available to continental US residents only (Sorry International buyers! Plan ahead and see if a US buddy can help you with this deal)!
** Deal not valid for Super Street Fighter IV Products

THIS DEAL IS LIVE NOW!!!

Here's some other cool stuff we'll have at the show/you can try and win!

First ninja-shots of the Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition GOLD for EVOLUTION 2010:

4766543324_fe92a4c414.jpg

4765904663_1b2837f7c2.jpg

4765904875_d93aeb2a07.jpg

4765904451_96ae531cd2.jpg

Only 24 of these arcade sticks were made. The only chance to get a hold of one of these is by either placing top eight in Super Street Fighter IV at EVO2010, winning the ladies SSFIV event, OR via raffle live at the event or by watching the EVO2K live stream!

July 6 - July 13: Mad Catz EVOLUTION 2010 PROMO - 20-30% OFF Super Street Fighter IV + Other Fighting Game Stuff

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So after spending over 200 dollars on mostly shitty sticks in Japan these two past weeks because of desperation of a new stick (I cant try them out in the stores so I need to buy them and notice for myself that they suck arse), Im glad I can take my trip back home and order one of these fine Madcatz sticks.

Wait, what?

Getting so pissed.

Hugbot

I'm looking to (finally) mod my original TE stick, and am having a hard time coming up with some Zangief art that would work. Any suggestions?

robot

Somewhat dumb question but do any sites sell the screws that hold the Hori EX-SE faceplate? I'm pretty sure they are the same screws as the Mad Catz TE sticks. I can probably find em at home depot but figured I'd ask here first (mine are starting to strip).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hori top screws and Mad Catz TE ones are not the same.

Also, for anyone ordering.

There are only 500 keychains made available for this online promo. After that, they're DONE.

f0nz0

is there any website out there that has clear cut tutorial on how padhack a 360 TE stick to make it wireless? i know the tech talk forum on srk would have this info but i did a search and could not find clear cut easy to follow tutorial on the process, and btw that gold te stick is damn cool

vulva

MarkMan said:
Hori top screws and Mad Catz TE ones are not the same.

Also, for anyone ordering.

There are only 500 keychains made available for this online promo. After that, they're DONE.
(it's vulva)

man, I just want a keychain... and possibly a stick. I will harass the hell out of you when I see you for one <3

GeorgeC

Banned
I'd gladly buy a white or silver version of the Evo gold stick.

(That not happening any time soon, I went ahead and modded my unused R1 Mad Catz TE. Vinyl dye does wonders for black plastic!)

The Evo stick is basically a limited tournament edition of the MC 360 Asian TE stick. (Never did see hide or hair of the previously prototyped PS3 Asian stick. For the millionth time -- what happened???) I recognize the "circuit" pattern of the Asian TE being reused on the Evo faceplate.

Can't say I care for the all-gold base of the Evo stick.

Sorry, but it looks garish to me!

The new bevel and shaft cover offerings from MC look nice.

Very, very tempted to get one or two sets of these when I have spare cash again!

I still think black against white or red with everything else looks best. I really don't care for the white bevels on the Marvel Vs Capcom sticks...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ugh. I just spent ~$80 on TE-S mods. Oddly enough, I have no buyer's remorse. You only live once.

6 clear white Seimitsu PS-14-KNs
Silver aluminum bat top
Bat top adapter
Black acrylic panel
Octagonal restrictor
Clear dust cover

SePhoBroth

Neo Member
Patrick Roy said:
Wanna be my friend? :D
I could do it for you for free. As long as you do the same for me if their should ever be anything I want from your part of town. Good trade off right? Never hurts to have good connections. lol

Yoshichan said:
So after spending over 200 dollars on mostly shitty sticks in Japan these two past weeks because of desperation of a new stick (I cant try them out in the stores so I need to buy them and notice for myself that they suck arse), Im glad I can take my trip back home and order one of these fine Madcatz sticks.

Wait, what?

Getting so pissed.

Yoshi, in Japan if you see this:
uTFa2.jpg

or this:
3028700853_b08f8697c1.jpg

or this (good luck):
412438114_bf477b60a6.jpg

buy them. They're the best Japanese sticks for PS3. Stay away from anything else.
Hori Real Arcade Pro V3-SA, Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA, and Sega Virtua Stick High Grade, if you want the names.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
Yoshi, in Japan if you see this:
uTFa2.jpg

or this:
3028700853_b08f8697c1.jpg

or this (good luck):
412438114_bf477b60a6.jpg

buy them. They're the best Japanese sticks for PS3. Stay away from anything else.
Hori Real Arcade Pro V3-SA, Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA, and Sega Virtua Stick High Grade, if you want the names.
For fucks sake, Ive pretty much searched Akihabara for 1 whole week (6 plus hours a day) without finding any of those... but I THINK I saw the first one, but it was wireless... is it supposed to be wireless?)

Yoshichan said:
For fucks sake, Ive pretty much searched Akihabara for 1 whole week (6 plus hours a day) without finding any of those... but I THINK I saw the first one, but it was wireless... is it supposed to be wireless?)
No, it's wired. You probably saw the new Hori wireless stick which is just an unbranded version of the one that came in the Tekken 6 LE.

What's a good, not $200 PS2 stick I can still buy?

Or is it easier to mod one of my 360/PS3 madcatz sticks? I also have a homemade 360 stick.

SonOfABeep said:

Or is it easier to mod one of my 360/PS3 madcatz sticks? I also have a homemade 360 stick.
PS2 sticks are becoming more and more scarce, so the aftermarket prices are rising.
The best HRAP-line stick you'll find nowadays for under $200 new is probably the Arcana Heart stick, but the art isn't for everyone and the Hori buttons are soldered in.
http://www.japanvideogames.com/Suggoi-Arcana-Heart-2-Arcade-Pro-Stick-p/ps2j-arcana2stick.htm

If you wish to mod your 360 stick to work with PS2 games, look up the Multi-Cthulhu PCB

CryptiK

Hey guys I have been getting into fighting games lately Street Fighter Tekken etc and Can't wait for Marvel vs Capcom anyway I was looking around at fight sticks and they are damn expensive(Australia) I was wondering if I could get some advice on a "good" cheap fight stick for PS3 for basically all fighting games.. Im not well off so I cant go and pay $300 (AUD) for a SSFIV TE stick so I was wondering if there was any good cheap ones.

PS I have never owned a fight stick and only used one a couple of time in the Aus Arcades but its either I get one or I stop playing fighting games as my fingers blister too easy on the controller.

"Is there any difference between Pro. 3 and Pro. EX except console-specific purpose?"

Memory is foggy (and someone will correct me), but I believe EX Buttons (or stick, can't remember) are soldered on and not using quick disconnects.

GeorgeC

Banned
SonOfABeep said:

That depends on what you're looking for.

An HRAP 2 SA, which is probably the finest PS2 stick made, will command close to at least $150. Some people have gotten lucky and paid less than that in the past year. I don't see it much anymore and it does command a higher premium than most used sticks.

As for the other PS2 sticks, if it's an HRAP it'll be anywhere between $80 and $150. The earlier run sticks (non-SA) with universal mounts for LS-32 and JLF joysticks are prized. Later-run sticks with non-universal mounts are not-so-prized.

Cheapest of the Hori HRAP-lite/-"like" would be the ones with PCB-soldered buttons like the Tekken 5 and Arcana Heart 2 sticks. They're perfectly serviceable sticks and can be brought up to HRAP standards with quick disconnects, higher-quality joysticks (JLF in the Tekken 5 base; the AH2 stick has a JLF already), and Sanwa or Seimitsu pushbuttons. Modded sticks with Arcade Parts SHOULD sell for at least $80 but a lot of people (including yours truly) have parted in the present economy for less than that in spite of our work on the sticks.

(The chief advantage of the AH 2 stick are the cap socket screws. It's the only licensed HRAP-lite that has these. The main advantage of cap socket screws is easy access to your electronics WITHOUT having to open the joystick through its bottom plate. So it's 6 screws to loosen the faceplate versus 26 parts... You can of course install cap socket screws on the other non-SA/SE HRAP and HRAP-lites, too. It sure makes life easier when modding or servicing joysticks!)

I have also seen any number of PS2 and pre-PS2 sticks going very cheaply on eBay. It depends on the luck of the draw and bidding that week!

As bad as the economy is, it's working to the benefit of buyers... AND frankly last year was a much better year for stick selling because of SF IV. Demand for sticks has really dried up quite a bit in the past 8 months...

GeorgeC

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Is there any difference between Pro. 3 and Pro. EX except console-specific purpose?"

Memory is foggy (and someone will correct me), but I believe EX Buttons (or stick, can't remember) are soldered on and not using quick disconnects.

I think you hit it...

All Pro 3/PS3 HRAPs are QD which makes it easy to swap out for better buttons.

Anything soldered on you'd have to desolder and mod for better buttons.

Dunno that all the 360 sticks have PCB-soldered buttons. I think they do have their SE-equivalents (QD buttons), too. I never have seen an SA model for the 360. At least they haven't sold an SA 360 stick in the US.

Generally, it seems Hori favors the PS3 a bit more. Frankly, in spite of American sales, there's quite a bit more joystick peripheral support for the Sony system. In addition to backwards support (via USB) for PS2 and PS1 joysticks.

Nobody talks about using XBox sticks on the 360 for good reasons...

Teknopathetic said:

The HRAP EX stick lever is soldered but the Buttons used QDs

Additionally, on the HRAP EX, turbo and Right Stick/D-Pad switch have been removed in favor of a PMD headset port.

CryptiK

Ok.. no replies. After looking around at some sticks I decided I might just make my own. Now I went through the OP and most links to the tutorials are dead.. Now has anyone got a great tutorial on making Sticks similar to the SSFIV TE sticks? Also a great place to buy parts in Aus?

leehom

Yoshichan said:
Go to Yodobashi Camera. That's where I found my hrap v3-sa. Btw, they sell out pretty quick. If it's not in stock, check back a few days later.

Kimosabae said:
All right guys. How can I go about getting an Arcade Stick with the stick on the right side and the buttons on the left? I'm now fully convinced this is the only way I can use an arcade stick.

Also, the right microswitch on my 360 TE is now inconsistent in reading inputs. Anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Something like this but with a stick in place of where the white buttons are:
http://img189.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=kbfin3.jpg

That was a "keyboard" stick I made for someone.

Yoshichan

leehom said:
Go to Yodobashi Camera. That's where I found my hrap v3-sa. Btw, they sell out pretty quick. If it's not in stock, check back a few days later.
I got it from there. I am very dissatisfied by it. And it cost me a fortune.

leehom

Yoshichan said:
I got it from there. I am very dissatisfied by it. And it cost me a fortune.
I only paid about 12,000 yen for mine. Which is a good price imo. The only joystick I would consider costing a fortune would be the 30,000 yen VLX. If I was a collector, I would w/o hesitation purchase a couple of them.

CryptiK said:
Ok.. no replies. After looking around at some sticks I decided I might just make my own. Now I went through the OP and most links to the tutorials are dead.. Now has anyone got a great tutorial on making Sticks similar to the SSFIV TE sticks? Also a great place to buy parts in Aus?

2u5c57o.jpg

You have chosen wisely.

Slag Coin

Man, those new TE parts are great. I'm going to invest in a set to mod my dual-mod. Now, all I need is some artwork.

The VLX is way huge. Not for me. The OG TE seems too big for me.

moonbeam

CryptiK said:
Hey guys I have been getting into fighting games lately Street Fighter Tekken etc and Can't wait for Marvel vs Capcom anyway I was looking around at fight sticks and they are damn expensive(Australia) I was wondering if I could get some advice on a "good" cheap fight stick for PS3 for basically all fighting games.. Im not well off so I cant go and pay $300 (AUD) for a SSFIV TE stick so I was wondering if there was any good cheap ones.

PS I have never owned a fight stick and only used one a couple of time in the Aus Arcades but its either I get one or I stop playing fighting games as my fingers blister too easy on the controller.
Have you considered a freight forwarder such as

http://www.shipito.com/

?

I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for them... I got my TE stick from JB HiFi for $AU250 before I knew about shipito.

CryptiK

moonbeam said:
Have you considered a freight forwarder such as

http://www.shipito.com/

?

I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for them... I got my TE stick from JB HiFi for $AU250 before I knew about shipito.
yeah Im not spending $200 on a stick.

So I was wondering of someone here could gave me guidance I want to go with good quality Sanwa parts which buttons and fight stick should I get.

vocab

How much would an all in one PS3/PS2/PC/360/Wii TE stick cost me? Is it even possible?

I wish my TE worked on my PC ffs.

vocab said:
How much would an all in one PS3/PS2/PC/360/Wii TE stick cost me? Is it even possible?

I wish my TE worked on my PC ffs.
Start with a Madcatz Xbox 360 TE stick and mod a multi-cthulhu in there and you're looking at as low as $150 (assuming you get the TE on sale)

vocab

_dementia said:
Start with a Madcatz Xbox 360 TE stick and mod a multi-cthulhu in there and you're looking at as low as $150 (assuming you get the TE on sale)

How far would just a PS3 take me? I mean if I provided it someone who could do the service. Can you mod it for all the systems?

vocab

Nabs said:
do you have a ps3 TE?

Ya. I know why it doesn't work as well. It's just really damn lame that Madcatz used some old ass USB standard when it comes the PS3 stick. My HRAP3 works completely fine, and it's one of the reasons I keep it because it works on my PC. Sucks that if I want to play a game with someone on my PC, I can't because the stick won't work. Also, I'm not buying a $10 PCI usb card. I have 8-10 usb slots on my PC with 3 different host controllers. No excuse.

Nabs

Yeah, I had to buy a USB card to get it to work on mine. I'm sure you already know about it, but it has to have a Via chipset =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom