• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

hikarutilmitt said:
I'd just add a CHimp to whichever Mad Catz stick you'd want to use on multiple systems (not the Hori, won't work) and you're golden.

I'd like to avoid modding the wiring of the sticks if possible. I'm sure I'd be able to take care of the addition of the Tootles/chimp sets but I'd rather just use a converter if one that could do what I want exists.

The Hori is the guest/2P stick... :D

notworksafe said:
Cool, thanks! Now to decide on colors. I'll probably just stick with black and white (or maybe red), since I don't plan on changing my stick art. I'm afraid I'll mess it up! :lol
Yo how many buttons your are getting, 6 or 8???

and here i am with my japanese V3-SA :(
damn, I'm never going to import another stick again (unless Sega makes a VSHG II for the console release of Final Showdown).

h3ro

h3ro said:
So I have a couple of sticks now, a stock R2 TE, a modded SE and an old Hori EX-2, all for 360. I just found my PS2 copy of Guilty Gear XX and really miss playing this game and I had never played a home console fighter on a stick until this gen.

Anyone know of a converter I could use on my PS3 that would allow me to use my 360 sticks? I recall one that had some small switches on it for each button/function that seemed to do the job for those that wanted to use the 360 controller on PS3 for shooters. Anyone know if this converter would work for me and where I could pick it up?

I recall that the PS3 Mad Catz sticks had issues with PS2 BC games, but since I would be converting it from 360->PS3/2, would I encounter the same issue?

Markman!
Sixteen!
YesBoss!

Somebody!!

I've never heard of an Xbox 360 -> PS3 converter (actually that's a lie - XCM makes one but i hear it's expensive and extremely laggy). My recommendation is to go with the chimp or dualstrike as mentioned earlier. I use my cthulhu dualmod without any issues.

Kinda random note, but I was just thinking about it as I was going though some pictures from PAX. Compared to last year arcade sticks were all over the freaking place at PAX. Madcatz of course had a big setup (I said hi to MarkMan and nabbed a keychain) but it seemed like tons of little booths had couch + TE sticks + SSFIV setups even if it wasn't a stick or fighting game specific company. And capcom was pretty loaded as well with stick setups for Marvel vs Capcom 3 (which I really enjoyed). And everywhere on the show floor I was seeing folks walking around with those Chun-Li TE stick boxes under their arms. Hard to miss them with that distinctive box. Also by the time that I wandered back to MadCatz booth to consider picking up an SE for the show floor price ($40 I think) they were totally sold out of those.

Not sure if this is just me noticing them more, but it really feels like SFIV and Super are really bringing sticks back into the gaming mainstream.

h3ro

_dementia said:
I've never heard of an Xbox 360 -> PS3 converter (actually that's a lie - XCM makes one but i hear it's expensive and extremely laggy). My recommendation is to go with the chimp or dualstrike as mentioned earlier. I use my cthulhu dualmod without any issues.

Thanks for the info.

I just came across this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42000

2u5zy1c.jpg

Anyone tried this one out?

vulva

markman, there's no way I'll have money for the Chun stick until early October. Is there even a chance you'll still have them in stock at that point? =(

Yes Boss!

MarkMan, any chance of the new Chun-Li stick being offered on Amazon. My address is APO and they ship to these for free, and I can then get it here in Europe. Unless you know if GameShark Store will perhaps ship APO?

The Logic 3 arcade stick for Wii is now cheap(27 euros) at amazon. I read some very positiv online reviews.
I would consider it as second stick next to my T VS C stick.

anyone got that one? how is it?

31AnGWYxKRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes Boss!

I might have asked this last year, so sorry if repeat, but does anybody know if I can put an LS-32 into the new Hori VX/V3 SA? I mean plug-and-play, not having to do any mods?

(soldering or adding a harness is doable on my end, if needed)

robot

Yes Boss! said:
I might have asked this last year, so sorry if repeat, but does anybody know if I can put an LS-32 into the new Hori VX/V3 SA? I mean plug-and-play, not having to do any mods?

EDIT: Sorry, I'm talking about the Hori VLX

Yes Boss!

Thanks Robot. Anybody else know? There is a list at SRK that says they have a different mount but are universal or something?!?! I don't have the V3 with me to check out or even tools beyond those to open the case and a soldering iron. Hoping for an option, as Seimitsu stick combined with Sanwa buttons are my preferred setup.

Baron

I can't believe the special edition Hori vewlix sticks are selling in the USA for $300. I wonder what sales numbers are like. Anyone own one?

Yes Boss!

Pick one up Baron...they are super hot! Kinda like the prettiest stick ever made. Well, maybe tied with the VSHG. Love Hori <3. Kinda bummed they did away with the old HRAP form factor, though...new HRAP Vs just are not as nice.

Baron

Yes Boss! said:
Pick one up Baron...they are super hot! Kinda like the prettiest stick ever made. Well, maybe tied with the VSHG. Love Hori <3. Kinda bummed they did away with the old HRAP form factor, though...new HRAP Vs just are not as nice.

I didn't even realize they were out now! I'm thinking about picking one up. I may have to sell off some game stuff to pay for it, though, I feel too guilty spending $300 on it. :p

aktham

Hey Markman I would like these for XBOX 360

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition S - White
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition S - Black

, but I don't see any listed on the website. Are they out of stock already, or is the site not up to date?

Threi

notag
iamaustrian said:
The Logic 3 arcade stick for Wii is now cheap(27 euros) at amazon. I read some very positiv online reviews.

I wouldn't. Avoid.

and i'm a dude whose main stick is a SNES stick.

Threi

notag

got both of these off ebay, $18 total. $17 for the PS3 stick, $1 for the 360 stick.

Since they were AS IS i was expecting that they would have problems, turns out the 360 stick works fine (but it seems the tread on the balltop is broken, it won't screw off)

The PS3 stick isn't in as great condition, seems like it got dropped and that screwed up some stuff on the inside. The wire for the joystick is bad, the mounting bracket got bent (straightened that up though), and the mounting bracket that was welded to the case exterior got the two bottom weld points popped off. I'm wondering if that can even fix (i know you can put screws in but i don't want to mess up the stick art)

regardless, don't regret my purchase at all.

Threi

notag
actually seems that the 360 stick doesn't connect to the 360, but connects to the PC just fine.

strange. nothing that can't be fixed, but still strange.

GeorgeC

Banned
Yes Boss! said:

Yes, you can put an LS-32-01 into the V3 SA fine.

It's a universal mount like the previous SA/SE models from Hori.

It's as easy as replacing the JLF from the previous HRAP models. It wasn't obvious from pictures before that the V3 SA was universal but owners have confirmed it on SRK and replaced their JLFs.

Frankly, most owners like it. Many people have a preference for a Viewlix-style case to the Astrocade-like cases Hori has put out for close to 6 years now.

I think this is Hori's new style and they will release newer V3 SA versions (in addition to the Amazon.jp Indigo version), the licensed BlazBlu Continuum Shift V3 SA, and the American release of the original black V3 SA.

I eventually think Hori will go back to producing licensed sticks with cheaper parts unless they take a hint from Mad Catz and produce non-pro sticks that are easily moddable. It's just as likely that if Hori can get good deals from both Seimitsu and Sanwa that they will continue to produce "all-Pro" sticks instead of cranking out inferior licensed sticks with their low-quality knock-off parts. Who knows?

At any rate, Mad Catz forced Hori to redesign the HRAP series and actually do something new for a change instead of continuing to crank out what was already a tired design in the previous HRAP 1/2/3 lines. OTOH, few people are complaining that the Dual Shock 3 controllers looks too much like DS1's! As great as form is, people still want something functional for a price that doesn't dig too deep into their pockets.

Whether the Astrocade-style case from Hori has been retired, I don't know. It seems like the HRAP 3 (black version, non-universal mount) is still available but the HRAP 3 SA seems to be out-of-production and isn't coming back...

I'm liking this style. For me, the VLX is impractical and too expensive but the price and styling of the V3 SA is perfect! I like the form and color of the case. Needless to say, I will NOT leave it as is and will probably replace the white buttons with red ones (black-rimmed) and the joystick with a Seimitus 5-pin variant. I'm just not crazy about Mad Catz' and Hori's tendencies to load their flagship joysticks with all- (or mostly) white buttons!

Yes Boss!

Thanks GeorgeC! That makes things even easier...assumming you just plug in the harness.

Yeah, I do like the new Vs..I'm just a big fan of the old style because of the heft and large artspace for the themed stcks and I've got so many of them. I did get the PS3 V3 last fall and was quite pleased but I then left for six months and now the thing is in storage for a few years :-( Chose not to go with the BB and Amazon and new the 360 one was arriving stateside, so chose to wait. I think I'm back onboard and will start collecting them from here out.

GeorgeC

Banned
Baron said:
I can't believe the special edition Hori vewlix sticks are selling in the USA for $300. I wonder what sales numbers are like. Anyone own one?

I can't imagine they're selling that well.

They're probably doing okay enough to justify the US release but not anywhere near the sales of the HRAP 3's and the Mad Catz TE's. I also think that being deeper into a recession this year that it will still impact sales, too.

They're the cost of a PS3 and high-end 360. Heck, the stick bases have a bigger footprint than the systems! They're basically "a bicycle built for two that only seats one." That's my main complaint about the VLX besides the pricepoint.

I don't begrudge people that can afford the VLX and like it but it's not for me.... I just find them impractically big and not as aesthetically pleasing to me.

I can imagine the V3 SA will sell better than the VLX in the US but the question is how much better? I think the joystick market is oversaturated as is. The question will be how many hardcores will push the trigger again and buy yet another joystick if they already have 3, 4, or more that already do the same thing.

There is a saturation point to this market and I kind of think we already reached it sometime late last year...

Yes Boss!

GeorgeC,

I use the VLX as a lap stick and it is quite nice! Not too big at all, for me at least. I can't imagine they are selling that great but Amazon is constantly going in and out of stock every week or so...seems like a good sign.

Yes Boss!

Stick folks, I've got a question. I think I'm fucked though. Finally got my soldering iron and I went to put in an LS-32 in my DS2 stick but I think the stick has one of those non-standard bases and there is no way to secure it. My question is: is there any way I can make this fit (or any other seimitstu stick)?

Here is the stick:

151dfcda.jpg

And here is the naked baseplate (the outer holes are not threaded, only the two inner to accomodate the Sanwa stock stick):

86f350e0.jpg

And here it is with the stock Sanwa:

6384e934.jpg

Seimitsu LS-32 in no way fits :-( And even if the outer holes were threaded on the LS-32, it would ridw too low underneath resulting in a shorter distance on the top. Am I stuck leaving the Sanwa in? The first DS stick had none of these problems. I've kinda accepted that this one has to remain a Sanwa stick unless anybody knows amy other options or parts to get a Seimitsu on there?!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
iamaustrian said:

I've seen a few different weird Wii fighting sticks... however, if I'm going to buy one (other than the Hori one I already own), I want the analog emulation. I'm just too cheap to buy a $70+ TvsC stick.

Why can't these cheap knockoffs have analog emulation? (weeps)

(For that matter, I'm getting sick of doing searches for bizarre Wii fighting sticks only to keep finding ones that aren't capable of being plugged into a Wii Remote - there are a pile of GC cable ones out there.)

GeorgeC

Banned
I'm assuming this is the 360-only Death Smiles 2 joystick, Yes Boss?

From the way that joystick mount looks to me, it's Sanwa-only.

Sorry! I know that's not what you wanted to hear but those are the general facts.

Most Hori sticks are Sanwa JLF-only.

The only Hori sticks that are universal mount (accept JLFs with flat mounts and Seimitsu PCB sticks with flator SS mounts) are the SA/SE editions, most of the HRAP 2's (maybe the last run of Hori "regular" edition HRAPs that had universal mounts), and the HRAP 1 Ver A sticks.

You can mod sticks to fit other types of joysticks, but you have to consider a couple of things...
a) is it worth your time and money? You're going to have to buy hardware parts online if you're going to do this to more than one stick. Believe me when I say I've looked and it's much cheaper to buy 100 M4 screws online than it is 50 of the same screws at Home Depot!
b) are you considering selling it to another collector? Many collectors won't buy modded sticks. They want them in stock, original condition. Especially if it's a limited edition stick.

As for me, I've figured out a way to make the T5 10th Anniversary joystick universal. (T5's are not highly desirable/collectable sticks and are great for refining mod skills and just tinkering with parts and the case all-around.) You basically drill out Hori's godawful stick mount on that joystick's faceplate, pop the mount off with a hammer, drill holes for 18mm M4-threaded self-clinching studs, and then go to town on the studs with a combo of washers and hex nuts until you adjust the joystick mounting plate to the right depth under the faceplate!

I figure the optimal depth is 8mm for both kinds of joystick mounts after measuring off my HRAP 3 SE...

Yes Boss!

Thanks GeorgeC. Sad that this one is so limited. Why Hori locked this one to Sanwa is beyond me after their last Cave stick came with Seimitstu as stock and the one before that is universal !??! Yeah, I won't be doing any screw tapping or anything; I'll leave it is Sanwa. Now I think I understand why I saw an LS-32 mod of this stick online in which the owner had installed the oversize balltop (probably an attempt to compensate for the lowerr level).

Threi

notag
if yall care here is the art i have in my head (and if i had an unlimited budget)

I think the lighter art would suit a SE.

gunna check staples to see how much it would cost to print it and turn it into an adhesive laminate.

Threi said:
if yall care here is the art i have in my head (and if i had an unlimited budget)

I think the lighter art would suit a SE.

gunna check staples to see how much it would cost to print it and turn it into an adhesive laminate.
Sucks, need more animu tits

j/k

Cool layouts Threi. I would be sure to let the art bleed out a little more over the button holes to compensate (the template isn't perfect). It will save you time and money instead of having to print the art over because the buttons holes are misaligned and you have of-center white halos around your buttan.

I prefer the dark layout, but you're right about the lighter one matching the SE better. If you're feeling adventurious, go with the dark one and dye the SE shell black with some vinyl dye (vinyl dye is awesome because it actually stains the plastic so the color won't chip off like paint).

MoxManiac

DavidDayton said:
I've seen a few different weird Wii fighting sticks... however, if I'm going to buy one (other than the Hori one I already own), I want the analog emulation. I'm just too cheap to buy a $70+ TvsC stick.

Why can't these cheap knockoffs have analog emulation? (weeps)

(For that matter, I'm getting sick of doing searches for bizarre Wii fighting sticks only to keep finding ones that aren't capable of being plugged into a Wii Remote - there are a pile of GC cable ones out there.)

TvC stick is $42 on amazon

Threi

notag
i wouldn't print the template with the openings of course, just using them as a guide. the actual art won't have any white holes at all.

I don't really want to go as far out as to paint anything though.

MrMephistoX

Anyone know if its possible to buy replacement PCB's from Madcatz? I modded my TE to make it wireless and I fried it completely after a soddered wire got loose. My other option is to get an SE on the cheap from ebay and try to get the electronics to fit in the TE body.

MoxManiac said:
TvC stick is $42 on amazon

I'd be happy to sell you mine for $39.99 it's listed in the buy sell trade thread.

Threi

notag
MrMephistoX said:
Anyone know if its possible to buy replacement PCB's from Madcatz? I modded my TE to make it wireless and I fried it completely after a soddered wire got loose. My other option is to get an SE on the cheap from ebay and try to get the electronics to fit in the TE body.
i'd like to know myself, the PCB in my 360 SE is no good.

Mr. Hyde

DoubleTap said:
The V3 and VX SA's are up on Amazon for Pre-Order. Get both and you still come out 30 bucks less than the price of one VLX :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041SGD44/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041S9U8A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nice! Is this a good stick? I had a Madcatz Tournament Edition V1 for my 360, but I sold it recently due to having my 360 die shortly after buying it. I decided to stick with my PS3 and have been thinking of picking up Super Street Fighter IV and an arcade stick for the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom