• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
*update*

So as i posted before the 360 had a bad PCB, it works fine on computer but not on 360. I tried even replacing the security chip, no dice. So I decided to gut it and put another 360 PCB in there (from my previous stick) but there was still the issue of the panel. So to go around that I basically "routed" the LEDs from the controller to the one on the panel. Kind of tricky to explain, but it's the same general concept used to padhack (you are essentially swapping one part of the circuit for another).

Pictured above is the top panel, To avoid excessive wiring I removed the Zener diode (originally for the +5V input), made the resulting pinout for the guide button, and each LED has it's own pinout already, just attach the pins to the (removed) led pins on the main PCB. The yellow wire is just due to me ripping the trace by accident :(

That's the main PCB with the LEDs removed. The lower solder points all go to their own individual resistor, the upper solder points are all connected (and then connected to some power source, dunno if it's directly to +5v VCC or not)

So with that all done it works almost like the original 360 SE, only thing i'm missing is turbo functionality and the LS/DP/RS switch actually doing something.

Can barely tell :p. Just kind of irritated that i had to put a 360 PCB in a 360 Stick for it to function properly.

Next on the list is to change the USB port. don't like having cords sticking out.

And I will probably make the turbo LEDs activate on button press if i have the time.

Fraeon

Wow, that wiring is a lot cleaner than what I have. Mine is a huge mess, though admittedly I only soldered like 4 points per PCB. The Chimp is a really nice solution if you have a 360 Madcatz stick, though pretty pricey.

Fraeon

Threi said:
PC IDE Ribbon cable: a stick modder's best friend

Doesn't help with organizing the cables when you have two wires (+ a ground) going to every button instead of one.

But as ghetto as my solution was, it's basically solderless outside of the power.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Found some deals in Akihabara... all in mint condition/with box. :D

4999139038_a73b8876da_z.jpg

Hori Multi-Arcade Stick for PC-Engine, MegaDrive, and Super Famicom for 480Y

4999139090_388108c5c7_z.jpg

Sega Virtua Stick for PlayStation 2 for 5980Y

4998533751_cdaeaf2b35_z.jpg

Hori RAP V3 SA for PlayStation 3 for 7980Y

GOOD DEALS! How am I going to get this home from Japan?

Ledsen

MarkMan said:
Found some deals in Akihabara... all in mint condition/with box. :D

[IG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/4999139038_a73b8876da_z.jpg[/IMG]
Hori Multi-Arcade Stick for PC-Engine, MegaDrive, and Super Famicom for 480Y

[IG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4999139090_388108c5c7_z.jpg[/IMG]
Sega Virtua Stick for PlayStation 2 for 5980Y

[IM]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4998533751_cdaeaf2b35_z.jpg[/IMG]
Hori RAP V3 SA for PlayStation 3 for 7980Y

GOOD DEALS! How am I going to get this home from Japan?

Just send it by mail... put a lot of packing material around it and off it goes! I know I sent a ridiculous amount of stuff home from Japan :lol only one stick though, but it was a MadCatz :O

Yes Boss!

Just to confirm, this is the "S" shaped mount that fits in the Hori VX SA (before I order)?

93d443d8.jpg

Grabbed from SRK, the inside of the new stick:

9111dc93.jpg

BiggNife

I am glad this got bumped because I have a question

I'm using a modded MadCatz SE with the Sanwa drop-in JLF stick and Seimitsu PS-15 buttons. Overall I'm very happy with it, but occasionally I run into a frustrating problem: There have been a few occasions where I'm playing a match and suddenly I can only move left or right, not up or down. After this happened the first time I realized this is because one of the stick's connectors came loose, so I plugged it back in. However, it has happened multiple times since then. It doesn't happen very often, but enough to the point where its really getting on my nerves (once a month, I guess).

To illustrate what I'm talking about, this is what the connector in question looked like when this happened to me yesterday and I opened up the stick:

0917001216.jpg

Instead of being flush against the stick, you can see the metal sticking out.

The glue on the connector has clearly dried out. I'm afraid about gluing it myself because I have no idea how to go about do it. Would I be better off just buying a new connector?

Rufus

Just find something that holds it well in place without making it impossible to remove. Doesn't even have to be glue. I secured mine with some string. It's flimsy, but the connector didn't come loose since, so I guess it worked. :lol

Ledsen

BiggNife said:
I am glad this got bumped because I have a question

I'm using a modded MadCatz SE with the Sanwa drop-in OBSF-30 stick and Seimitsu PS-15 buttons. Overall I'm very happy with it, but occasionally I run into a frustrating problem: There have been a few occasions where I'm playing a match and suddenly I can only move left or right, not up or down. After this happened the first time I realized this is because one of the stick's connectors came loose, so I plugged it back in. However, it has happened multiple times since then. It doesn't happen very often, but enough to the point where its really getting on my nerves (once a month, I guess).

To illustrate what I'm talking about, this is what the connector in question looked like when this happened to me yesterday and I opened up the stick:

[mg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/BiggNife/0917001216.jpg[/img]

The glue on the connector has clearly dried out. I'm afraid about gluing it myself because I have no idea how to go about do it. Would I be better off just buying a new connector?

I put a piece of tape on mine.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
BiggNife said:

Hot glue guns are often used to reinforce electrical connections on PCBs and that's probably what they used in the first place with the connections in there...

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I'd say use a hot silicon glue gun, if available. After that, I'd go for thick CA glue that you can find cheap at a hobby shop. Third resort, buy a fat piece of heat-shrink tubing and shrink it around the whole apparatus.

SPEAKING OF GLUE

I'm taking apart my TE right now, and GODDAMN, there is more glue in here than a kindergartner's art project. It's taking forever.

dammit madcatz

BiggNife

Oh durr I meant JLF :lol

Thanks guys. I see if I can get my hands on glue gun, otherwise I might just use some electrical tape as a temporary fix for the time being.

Delriach

Banned
Mrow. I just got the new Mad Catz Chun-Li FightStick over the weekend and thought I'd share a few pics from the preview I wrote on Saturday. There's more screenshots there if you want to see.

So beautiful...

What's great about this stick is that it actually works on my laptop unlike my Standard Edition. It seems that Mad Catz fixed the issue with the PS3 sticks being incompatible with certain motherboards.

Is that the first Madcatz stick that's officially licensed by Sony in North America?

I noticed it has a PS button and real button symbols instead of the generic ones as seen i nthe past.

Delriach

Banned
_dementia said:
Is that the first Madcatz stick that's officially licensed by Sony in North America?

I noticed it has a PS button and real button symbols instead of the generic ones as seen i nthe past.

Yup. Here's a pic of the front of the box. Shows the official PS license on it.

I uploaded a bunch of screenshots in the preview if you want to see more. The pics are pretty large when you click on them. Should be good for close up views.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, gotta get one those. All my fighters here are the PS3 versions and I can't play them cause I've got no PS3 stick :-( Still wondering if Amazon will get the Chun-Li? Or do I have to order and pick it up in the states over the holidays.

Thanks for the details Delriach!

Delriach

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, gotta get one those. All my fighters here are the PS3 versions and I can't play them cause I've got no PS3 stick :-( Still wondering if Amazon will get the Chun-Li? Or do I have to order and pick it up in the states over the holidays.

Yeah, no problem. I have no clue about Amazon though. Your best bet is to MarkMan about that.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I'm just trying to avoid getting dinged on shipping. It is easily sent to my So Cal address (Madcatz ships from Riverside, if I remember correctly) but that does not help me here in Germany. Amazon ships for free, though, since I've got a DoD address...kinda why I wanna know if it wil go up at amazon. I'm way, way behind on sticks...missing the BB from Madcatz a well as a couple of the last Horis.

Hey arcade stick folks. What's the lowdown on the Xbox 360 Tekken 6 wireless stick that comes in the bundle with the game?

http://www.amazon.com/Tekken-Limited-Wireless-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B002ED4DQI/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

I know that it's a cheaper stick and the wireless is a bit odd (I'd rather have wired) but this is just for a second stick to use when I have friends over for SSFIV, I've already got a tricked out homebuilt box for myself. I just figured that with it actually being a little cheaper then a FightStick SE it might be smart to nab this guy for the free copy of Tekken 6.

Glix

TheFightingFish said:
Hey arcade stick folks. What's the lowdown on the Xbox 360 Tekken 6 wireless stick that comes in the bundle with the game?

http://www.amazon.com/Tekken-Limited-Wireless-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B002ED4DQI/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

I know that it's a cheaper stick and the wireless is a bit odd (I'd rather have wired) but this is just for a second stick to use when I have friends over for SSFIV, I've already got a tricked out homebuilt box for myself. I just figured that with it actually being a little cheaper then a FightStick SE it might be smart to nab this guy for the free copy of Tekken 6.

Yeah, its my guest/travel stick. Got it for 100 bucks with Tekken 6. Haven't regretted it, its a fine backup stick, although nowhere near as nice as my HRAP EX.

Threi

notag
_dementia said:
Nice. Though why the stock clone parts? All show and no go eh?
6 white OBSF-30s and a JLF spring are coming in the mail :)

The stock joystick doesn't bother me too much, and i self-fixed the washer problem (not gluing it down but putting dried hot glue around the pcb so it can't be rubbed off)

microswitches aren't that great either but i can live with them for now

Threi said:

You should mask off sections with drafting tape to prevent solder from flowing to other areas. you have to also have a proper low heat setting or you can pull traces from the board. also, if you hit a wire with the iron and melt the insulation, you should probably replace it.

i solder for a living and can't help but cringe at stuff like that.

we all start somewhere though, and i'm glad you at least did it yourself.

Yes Boss! said:

Isn't it a PAX LE? They already appear to be sold out... I don't even see one on ebay so it doesn't look like anyone else is going to be selling them. If MM can still get them I might be interested in one... for the right price.

Threi

notag
quinntendopower said:
You should mask off sections with drafting tape to prevent solder from flowing to other areas. you have to also have a proper low heat setting or you can pull traces from the board. also, if you hit a wire with the iron and melt the insulation, you should probably replace it.

i solder for a living and can't help but cringe at stuff like that.

we all start somewhere though, and i'm glad you at least did it yourself.
Heh it's not as bad as that pic shows, it's just a bit messy because it's the second time that PCB is getting soldered. I also used a hot glue gun to keep the connections insulated.

funny thing is though i've been soldering for several years now, i mean my major is electronic engineering :lol

I fully understand what you are saying though; looking at it it does look like a beginner's job. However considering how often i tinker with it, making it look as neat as possible wasn't on the top of my priority list.

SlaughterX said:
Isn't it a PAX LE? They already appear to be sold out... I don't even see one on ebay so it doesn't look like anyone else is going to be selling them. If MM can still get them I might be interested in one... for the right price.
It's not limited a limited release afaik.

Threi

notag
apparently TvC Wii sticks are on sale for $29.99 at bestbuy (doubt it applies to canada :/)

As you know they are the "revised" SE sticks so it's a pretty decent deal.

Apparently the 3.50 PS3 update breaks compatibility with certain controllers. Before I update, does it break compatibility with VSHG or Cthulhu?

Have any of you bros that took one for the team and ordered the PS3-to-360 adapter received it yet? I'm quite interested in how that turned out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Threi said:
apparently TvC Wii sticks are on sale for $29.99 at bestbuy (doubt it applies to canada :/)

As you know they are the "revised" SE sticks so it's a pretty decent deal.

Hmm.. the website doesn't list them at that price. Has anyone seem them at that price in stores?

h3ro

Baller said:
Have any of you bros that took one for the team and ordered the PS3-to-360 adapter received it yet? I'm quite interested in how that turned out.
The adapter is from 360 to PS3. Nope, not received yet, shipped out of HK on the 20th, no idea when it'll reach.

Hopefully it works well and this new firmware update doesn't disable its use... :)

depths20XX

DavidDayton said:
Hmm.. the website doesn't list them at that price. Has anyone seem them at that price in stores?

I'm interested also. Haven't played TvC but for that price I'd definetly pick up 2 sticks and the game

h3ro said:
The adapter is from 360 to PS3. Nope, not received yet, shipped out of HK on the 20th, no idea when it'll reach.

Hopefully it works well and this new firmware update doesn't disable its use... :)
Ah ok, well either way it would be cool to have one stick for both consoles. Hopefully everything works out.

Threi

notag
i dunno about the sale it might be in-store only. I just saw a post on SRK saying that they are $29.99 because they are trying to clear them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom