• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramune

MarkMan said:
So did anyone get the Otomedius bundle with Hori stick?

I have one on it's way very soon (shipped yesterday) that I got from Play-Asia. Those in the official topic know I was debating on getting one, but 1) it was essentially new Parodius/Gradius, 2) Yoshizaki Mine artwork 3) Might as well get the joystick to play it as it was meant to be played. I'll post some pics when it's here.

Baron

Hey, can any knowledgeable stick aficionado tell me - does the Hori HRAP EX for the 360 work on the PS3, too? It's just a USB connector, no?

edit:
I just tried plugging my Hori 360 EX2 into my PS3, and got a USB error message saying it didn't recongnize the USB device. I assume it'll be the same for the HRAP, too. Damn you Microsoft, why did you have to make this awful proprietary controller BS? We could have had, for once, totally interchangeable controllers this gen. But NO.

This stick:
HRAP360.jpg

Baron

_dementia said:
Nope. Like every 360 controller it does not.

You can mod a PS3 pcb in there though. Many people have.

I'd rather just use a PS3 HRAP. They are all basically identical, no? Or at least they all have the capacity to be modded to be identical. I assume the only difference is the case design and color, and the console-specific "home" button setups.

TSAR

hey guys, i know this technically isn't the right place for this post but i thought it might be helpful for some of you in here.

i've got two virtua stick high grades that i'm looking to sell. one is brand new, the other is very lightly used. both are in the original packaging. if you're interested pm me with an offer and we can talk.

Baron said:
I'd rather just use a PS3 HRAP. They are all basically identical, no? Or at least they all have the capacity to be modded to be identical. I assume the only difference is the case design and color, and the console-specific "home" button setups.
If you play more fighters on your triple then yes that's the way to go. Especially since HRAP3 is cheaper, of equal quality, and actually has more functions (analog switch, etc).

WORLDWIDEWII said:
i been puting this off for too long and with SF2 HD coming next week i got it do this now and Gaffers i need your HELP.

i have a HRAP 2 and i want to play SF2 HD on my ps3, what is the best adapter i can buy. i know there is the pelican one but it is impossible to find. what is my other options?

thanks.
someone?

Can anyone recommend a good 8 gate to put into a VSHG? i love my VSHG for Soul calibur 4 and VF5, but with SF2HD around the corner, i need to get an 8 gate to make all those circle moves easier :p

Nobiru said:
Can anyone recommend a good 8 gate to put into a VSHG? i love my VSHG for Soul calibur 4 and VF5, but with SF2HD around the corner, i need to get an 8 gate to make all those circle moves easier :p
Sanwa GT-Y

2DMention

Banned
What's the consenus on the Pelican Real arcade pro for GC/Xbox/PS2?

plestick.jpg

I picked it up on the cheap from a gamestop about a year ago and find it tough to do fireballs and dragon punches. It might work as a good VC stick on the Wii though

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
2DMention said:

plestick.jpg

I picked it up on the cheap from a gamestop about a year ago and find it tough to do fireballs and dragon punches. It might work as a good VC stick on the Wii though

It's good if you swap out those parts with Happ parts.

You can even fit Seimitsu/Sanwa in there if you hack the casing a bit.

oh, cool its just a restrictor plate, i don't need to buy a whole new stick assembly. thanks :)

edit: as you can tell i have no idea what im doing, but my friend modded my VSHG to work with my 360, so im sure he can figure out how to put the new plate on :p

User2k

_dementia said:
Nope. Like every 360 controller it does not.

You can mod a PS3 pcb in there though. Many people have.

Is there any arcade stick that works on PS3, X360 and PC? Or any arcade stick that can easily be moded to do so?

"Is there any arcade stick that works on PS3, X360 and PC? Or any arcade stick that can easily be moded to do so?"

HRAP3s or HRAP EXs will work on PS3/PC and 360/PC respectively, but both will need to be modded to get both 360 and PS3 on the same stick, so far as I know. There's also Arcade-in-a-box's 360/PS3 cross compatible sticks.

I've yet to mod my HRAP3s. Besides the buttons, would it be worthwhile to change out the gate (I think you need to drill for the 8)?

And is there a place where you can get designs for the panel?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
rocK` said:
Any good ideas for a Wii stick? Tatsunoko is around the corner.

You only have 4 "Wii" stick options.

One of the two Exar sticks coming out the day TvC comes out... the Neo Geo stick or the Hori Wii Fighting Stick.

Since TvC supports GameCube controllers, you can also use a GameCube stick or if you have a good PS1/PS2 to GCN converter, use that.

Sanjuro

I just want to get my hands on one of those gamepads. I want the 360 version of SF4.

Trying to sell off my SF anniversary arcade stick with PS3 usb adapter.

rocK`

Banned
MarkMan said:
You only have 4 "Wii" stick options.

One of the two Exar sticks coming out the day TvC comes out... the Neo Geo stick or the Hori Wii Fighting Stick.

Since TvC supports GameCube controllers, you can also use a GameCube stick or if you have a good PS1/PS2 to GCN converter, use that.

Do you know if the HRAP2 uses a Sony PCB or a hori PCB?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
rocK` said:
Do you know if the HRAP2 uses a Sony PCB or a hori PCB?

It's a Hori PCB, although the stick itself is licensed by Sony.

Interestingly enough, the HRAP3s are not licensed by Sony.

Ryu1999 said:
031.jpg

Originally posted in the ST HD Remix Thread

Is that graphic over the regular top, and then plexiglass put over that? I want to do something along the lines of this, but I didn't know if that would raise the surface too much and...negatively affect things.

akuma001

Teknopathetic said:
"Is there any arcade stick that works on PS3, X360 and PC? Or any arcade stick that can easily be moded to do so?"

HRAP3s or HRAP EXs will work on PS3/PC and 360/PC respectively, but both will need to be modded to get both 360 and PS3 on the same stick, so far as I know. There's also Arcade-in-a-box's 360/PS3 cross compatible sticks.

hrap ex can not be dual modded with a ps3 pcb as is because the pcb in the hrap ex is not common ground.

if you want to dual 360/ps3 that stick you will have to remove the original hori 360 pcb and replace it with a common ground one as well as adding a common ground ps3 pcb.

Ryu1999

Class_A_Ninja said:
Is that graphic over the regular top, and then plexiglass put over that? I want to do something along the lines of this, but I didn't know if that would raise the surface too much and...negatively affect things.

Yeah, the plexiglass is over the graphic; its not very thick, about 1/3rd of a inch so it doesn't perceptibly raise the surface.

"hrap ex can not be dual modded with a ps3 pcb as is because the pcb in the hrap ex is not common ground.

if you want to dual 360/ps3 that stick you will have to remove the original hori 360 pcb and replace it with a common ground one as well as adding a common ground ps3 pcb."

I stand corrected.

Glix

So, my HRAP EX should be here soon. Arcade Shock said Late Nov / Early Dec. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week. :D

I already have my buttons, and balltop.

I have hear people (MarkMan) talk about the "strange" layout of the HRAP EX buttons. The actual physical layout looks like other HRAPs. I assume we are talking about the button assignments? Like which one is X, which one is LB, etc...

I would rather not change the assignments, when I put in the Sanwa buttons, I want the assignments to match the case...

So now, after my rambling, the two questions I'm asking here are...

1. Am I right in assuming the buttons have the same physical layout?

2. Are there any popular games on the XBOX or Live Arcade, that DON'T let you customize the buttons? (SF2, SF2HD, UMK3, SF4, SNK Fighters, Cave Shooters) Am I going to have an issue playing any of these games?

Bonus Question - Are there any special tools I'm going to need to take apart the HRAP EX and put the buttons in?

Glix said:
So, my HRAP EX should be here soon. Arcade Shock said Late Nov / Early Dec. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next week. :D

I already have my buttons, and balltop.

I have hear people (MarkMan) talk about the "strange" layout of the HRAP EX buttons. The actual physical layout looks like other HRAPs. I assume we are talking about the button assignments? Like which one is X, which one is LB, etc...

I would rather not change the assignments, when I put in the Sanwa buttons, I want the assignments to match the case...

So now, after my rambling, the two questions I'm asking here are...

1. Am I right in assuming the buttons have the same physical layout?

2. Are there any popular games on the XBOX or Live Arcade, that DON'T let you customize the buttons? (SF2, SF2HD, UMK3, SF4, SNK Fighters, Cave Shooters) Am I going to have an issue playing any of these games?

Bonus Question - Are there any special tools I'm going to need to take apart the HRAP EX and put the buttons in?

1. Same physical layout as HRAP 2/3. The button assignments are silly with RT/LT nearest to the stick (no game defaults to those, so you'll have to rely on in-game control configuration), but I kept them standard like you intend to because I'm OCD.

2. The only XBLA fighting or shmup game I can think of without customizable controls is UMK3, which I don't care about. Also, no Cave shooter will be released on XBLA in the near future. They're retail games.

Bonus - 7mm nut screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver, and a phillips screwdriver are all you'll need for the mod.

Glix

_dementia said:
1. Same physical layout as HRAP 2/3. The button assignments are silly with RT/LT nearest to the stick (no game defaults to those, so you'll have to rely on in-game control configuration), but I kept them standard like you intend to because I'm OCD.

2. The only XBLA fighting or shmup game I can think of without customizable controls is UMK3, which I don't care about. Also, no Cave shooter will be released on XBLA in the near future. They're retail games.

Bonus - 7mm nut screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver, and a phillips screwdriver are all you'll need for the mod.

Thanks a ton dude, that was all very helpful! :D

PS - I don't care what form the Cave games are in, I just want them, very badly! :D

EDIT - When someone hears about their stick shipping out from Arcade Shock, please let us know in this thread, in case Arcade Shock doesn't send out the emails all at once, or doesn't ship the sticks all at once, thanks!!

Yes Boss!

MarkMan, are those Gamestop exclusive or is Amazon going to get them as well? And are pictures forthcoming? I wanna pull the trigger on the Tournament Edition for 360.

Finally got my Otomedius Stick in!

Looks great!

IMG_0946.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Pictures should be on the GameStop site soon, yes.

Also they should be available on Amazon as well, not sure when.

You can also preorder these sticks at Game Crazy stores and at B&M GameStop stores.

Yes Boss!

MarkMan said:

You can also preorder these sticks at Game Crazy stores and at B&M GameStop stores.

Amazon it is! Can't beat free shipping and no tax. I'll order a Tournament Edition for 360 and a Pad for PS3.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
This may sound ridiculous to some of you but I would highly suggest buying at least two (if not more) of the SFIV sticks if at all possible. Every major stick release from the Tekken Stick to the Virtua Stick High Grade have sold out and have been hard to find. In turn you can flip these sticks for a lot more than you bought them for int he long run.

Good sticks are hard to come by as some of you are finding out and not everyone wants to mod sticks just to have something playable!

One to stock, one to rock baby!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VIRTUA-STIC...deo_Games_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

kurahadol

MarkMan said:
Pictures should be on the GameStop site soon, yes.

Any word on if these are going to be carried in Canada EB/Gamestop's?

qcf x2

2DMention said:

Took me about 2 weeks to adjust to it, but once I did it was pretty good. The buttons aren't very good, but for a low price you can't really go wrong...again, once you adjust to it.

Ryu1999

haunts said:
This may sound ridiculous to some of you but I would highly suggest buying at least two (if not more) of the SFIV sticks if at all possible. Every major stick release from the Tekken Stick to the Virtua Stick High Grade have sold out and have been hard to find. In turn you can flip these sticks for a lot more than you bought them for int he long run.

Good sticks are hard to come by as some of you are finding out and not everyone wants to mod sticks just to have something playable!

One to stock, one to rock baby!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VIRTUA-STIC...deo_Games_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Yeah...I'm not paying 260 bucks for a stick, especially for one that's not wood or doesn't have an optical flash stick

Yes Boss!

haunts said:

Yikes! That is a tall order at $150 each.

I'm gonna do my part and get at least the Tournament Edition and a Pad.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yes Boss! said:
Yikes! That is a tall order at $150 each.

I'm gonna do my part and get at least the Tournament Edition and a Pad.

Yeah for sure it's a lot of money but then I look at how much that high grade is going for and I'm like DAMN. :lol

MarkMan said:

$150 for the high end sticks? HOLY SHIT.

I got myself a pair of VSHGs, which are IMPORT sticks mind you, at something like 80 bucks a piece IIRC.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
They are stock images, would you guys like to see real images of the stick?

And no word on Canada sorry, keep bugging your GameStops/EB Games, I'll see what I can find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom