• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, and please flush on your way out.

Uh oh.

Help!!!!!!!

9XMG.gif

Ascend

It's to prevent people who are being provoked getting punished when they are largely cordial to everyone else.
Honestly, if it should work like that, it doesn't seem to always work like that in practice. I (and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one) have been harassed by certain users over certain posts, and then it's as if the mods harass me with warnings on top of that, if I want to stand up for myself. I bet that's one of the reasons that Lady Bernkastel asked for a perm ban. I can still be wrong though. I do not have the perspectives of the mods. I only have my own perspective, and the perspectives of the users I interact with. Don't get me wrong. I do know you are all doing the best you can. So don't take it as offense. Just take it as feedback.

Exactly. I am so sick and tired of hearing about the secret Xbox discord and all the other conspiracies the evil Xbots, Digital Foundry and Microsoft themselves are always plotting against the poor beleaguered Sony. Talk about delusional.
That's part of the problem. I myself have been called an Xbot or Xbox fan or Xbox fanboy multiple times. It is extremely annoying to be lumped together with extremist groups when you're trying to be as neutral as possible. Sadly, that is unavoidable at this point, and it kind of is hard to moderate for that. Intentions are hard to discern in real life, let alone from texts in forums.

Mod of War Mod of War I hope you don't mind this post. I'm trying to add valuable feedback, not FUD.

I'm gonna have to be real here and say that nobody here is actually neutral. People can pretend to be all they like, but the reality eventually comes through. People need to realise it's ok to have preferences and have discussions (that's what we are here for). What's not ok is to be a disingenuous arselicking fanboy lunatic. Having preferences does not automatically make you a lunatic fanboy.
I think as long where you give credit to things that are not "on your side" when credits due, it's all good.

@meirl

Go outside. Meet a girl. Further your education. Make friends.

Anything but trying to win the 'next-gen war' by being 20 different people, and I am probably seriously lowballing it at this point.

I have been on the internet 20 years, and this might be the most pathetic display I have ever seen. Go home.

It doesn't matter that much, trust me.

hvyV41n.jpg

I wish I had the LetMeIn.Gif now. :(

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Please bring your personal grievances with each other to either the meta thread or DMs.

While it’s understandable that it spawned off of the ban commentary and the background meta of certain sub groups on here, this is now turning into a pissing match.

Thank you, and please flush on your way out.

Man, if you have any stand up comedy channel please share. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Moogle11

Banned
I'm gonna have to be real here and say that nobody here is actually neutral. People can pretend to be all they like, but the reality eventually comes through. People need to realise it's ok to have preferences and have discussions (that's what we are here for). What's not ok is to be a disingenuous arselicking fanboy lunatic. Having preferences does not automatically make you a lunatic fanboy.

Yep. That's the key difference. Everyone has preferences, everyone is going to have a platform they end up playing the most each generation as it would be very fluky to play the same amount of hours or the same amount of games on two.

I have a strong preference for Sony as my favorite type of games are cinematic, narrative driven games and especially third person action-adventure ones. Their first party studies simply excel at those types of games, as do some AAA multiplat third party studios. MS, and especially Nintendo, don't make many of those kind of games. I also have a preference for Nintendo as I grew up with their games and still love me some Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing etc. MS is less relevant for me in terms of exclusives as I don't play online games, racers etc. so it's mostly just blowing through the campaigns in Halo/Gears one time and playing the occasional story-driven exclusive they've had like Alan Wake or Quantum Break.

All that said, I don't give a fuck about any of these three corporations, how many consoles they sell, how much profit they make, which one has more Tflops or whatever. My preferences are just driven by the exclusive games I want to play. I'd be fucking thrilled if Sony and Nintendo were going with the MS approach of putting all their games on PC (and eventually streaming services) so I don't have to buy a bunch of expensive plastic boxes to access all the games I want to play. The cheaper I can access all the games I want to play, the better. Gaming has always been annoying to me with the separate walled gardens vs. say movies where you could buy whatever DVD or Bluray player and watch anything you wanted.

Kagey K

Banned
Tracker warning: All other warnings expired, have suggested to user they stop reporting console warrers while being the biggest one themselves. Might need another short ban soon, if they ignore this (https://www.neogaf.com/reports/18726/)

I would like to talk to the mod that put this in my account.

I have a few problems with this statement.

Number 1: We were told explicitly by Mod of War that the forum is moderated on reports, and we should always report to make sure they see it.

2: I barely report anybody. If I was abusing the report button, I would have expected a warning, I rarely use it and save it for the most egregious cases (usually not gaming related)

3. If you (the mod) see me as a giant console warrior, no matter what I do as a poster will change their mind. I’m already ”bitch eating crackers” to you. I can’t contribute in some conversations, whether I’m genuine or not.

I think this tracker is an unfair generalization, and I would like an explanation from the mod that threw it on me.

Preferably in private messages.

Last edited:

nush

Tracker warning: All other warnings expired, have suggested to user they stop reporting console warrers while being the biggest one themselves. Might need another short ban soon, if they ignore this (https://www.neogaf.com/reports/18726/)

I would like to talk to the mod that put this in my account.

I have a few problems with this statement.

Number 1: We were told explicitly by Mod of War that the forum is moderated on reports, and we should always report to make sure they see it.

2: I barely report anybody. If I was abusing the report button, I would have expected a warning, I rarely use it and save it for the most egregious cases (usually not gaming related)

3. If you (the mod) see me as a giant console warrior, no matter what I do as a poster will change their mind. I’m already ”bitch eating crackers” to you. I can’t contribute in some conversations, whether I’m genuine or not.

I think this tracker is an unfair generalization, and I would like an explanation from the mod that threw it on me.

Preferably in private messages.

Kagey, please. Just stop. You do this every time, it does not work out for you ever. It's not the mods, it's actually you and I don't read what you post in gaming but I have read since last year (Many times) you coming into this topic being bitch-made crying and lawyering your way around the rules.

What I've notice is the NUMBER ONE indicator of a console warrior is when they come into this topic compain about being modded and then start snitching on other users like some pre-school kid that got caught and thinks throwing other kids under the bus will get him out of trouble with the teacher becuse those other kids were "Worse" in their opinion.

Seriously how did you get as old as you are and not grow out of arguing about plastic game boxes with younger kids on the internet?

Last edited:
I bet thanosoftitan was influential in hundreds of bans at era
I find it a little cringey when someone responds with "Reported", just that one word and nothing else. For one, just because you can report something doesn't guarantee it will be actioned, and two, anyone can use the report button (using it doesn't make you brave or anything). It's not something you need to announce to the rest of the community. Plus it just breaks the flow of the discussion in a thread.

Last edited:

Ascend

Kagey, please. Just stop. You do this every time, it does not work out for you ever. It's not the mods, it's actually you and I don't read what you post in gaming but I have read since last year (Many times) you coming into this topic being bitch-made crying and lawyering your way around the rules.

What I've notice is the NUMBER ONE indicator of a console warrior is when they come into this topic compain about being modded and then start snitching on other users like some pre-school kid that got caught and thinks throwing other kids under the bus will get him out of trouble with the teacher becuse those other kids were "Worse" in their opinion.

Seriously how did you get as old as you are and not grow out of arguing about plastic game boxes with younger kids on the internet?
Honestly, to me he's not wrong to ask for clarification. Even if a user has done something wrong in the past, it doesn't somehow mean that they can't report other users. Mods cannot be objective if they pre-judge who did the reporting, rather than evaluate the report itself. Unless someone is spamming the report button unjustifiably of course, which he claims he's not.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m constantly split between reporting:

1: Helping Neogaf
2: Feeling like a hall monitor

As such, I feel like my personal philosophy on it is starting to trend towards only reporting stuff that’s beyond the pale, like when a asylum escapee from Ree starts calling everyone white supremacists, or someone’s in every topic over weeks trolling (amusingly, Ree members being another good example of this).

Maybe that’s a good thing, to have pushback on wanting to press that button. Idk. I don’t want to discourage people helping to make a better Gaf, but some of this stuff can and should be worked out between members? Also, people can do dumb things in the short-term, but straighten out in the long-term, or just with a few words.

The culture of people roaming through threads looking for things to report unnerves me too. I have instant doubts about the motives of someone who acts like that. I think that’s why you see mods discouraging it when it happens too much, or along blatant ideological lines.

No commentary on you Kagey, as you asked for privacy, just my general thinking after Tesseract inspired me.

I find it a little cringey when someone responds with "Reported", just that one word and nothing else. For one, just because you can report something doesn't guarantee it will be actioned, and two, anyone can use the report button (using it doesn't make you brave or anything). It's not something you need to announce to the rest of the community. Plus it just breaks the flow of the discussion in a thread.

Some people seem to get off on reporting posts. Openly bragging about it. I kinda feel like if you're gonna report, just report and move on.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

"Reported", that is SO annoying. If someone is out of line just report them, you don't need to announce it to the world to feel important. There was a Neo guy, Underground or Underwood something that did that continuously in addition to announcing "ignored" to anyone he disagreed with or demanding people be banned. It got on nerves so bad. Fortunately I haven't see him around anymore. Maybe he got banned himself. :messenger_winking:

On another subject, do we have a count on Meirl's extended family and circle of imaginary friends? That guy must have some kind of mental problem or a severe GAF addiction

Jooxed

Gold Member
"Reported", that is SO annoying. If someone is out of line just report them, you don't need to announce it to the world to feel important. There was a Neo guy, Underground or Underwood something that did that continuously in addition to announcing "ignored" to anyone he disagreed with or demanding people be banned. It got on nerves so bad. Fortunately I haven't see him around anymore. Maybe he got banned himself. :messenger_winking:

On another subject, do we have a count on Meirl's extended family and circle of imaginary friends? That guy must have some kind of mental problem or a severe GAF addiction

Ignored, message too long. Reading comprehension at a 1st grade level

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I guess you could say I report a lot; I don't have any metrics to go by, but I do report people

My rule of wrist is if it wouldn't be said in an office or is skirting those lines, just politely report it, don't reply to the post and move on
As best as one can do, everyone is human

Other than ngaf/pol/, I stay the fuck outta there

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Either the offices you work at are super relaxed or you're a very boring mother fucker.
Super relaxed; I wouldn't call the places I've worked at/currently work at are boring, just typical nerds
We have our hijinks and shit talking and stuff; even talk about politics and get passionate about it

I'd rather the super relaxed "boring," environment than previous jobs with managers and seniors saying things like "We should carpet bomb the middle east because every one over there hates the USA and there for is evil"
And that's a direct quote

Oh man, this one time, my coworker wouldn't fix his chat client and was causing me grief, so I created a bot that messaged everyone in the company when his chat fucked up; his problem happened twice a second and would last hours. He fixed it very quickly afterwards
WOO THAT WAS CRAZY I TELL YA

EDIT: And yeah, even I would say I'm boring. With my child hood, I very very very very very very much enjoy my quiet life

Last edited:

I believe one the the Meril alts just went around reporting people for no good reason. He even dragged some threads into the ban threads to complain about them.

Super relaxed; I wouldn't call the places I've worked at/currently work at are boring, just typical nerds
We have our hijinks and shit talking and stuff; even talk about politics and get passionate about it

I'd rather the super relaxed "boring," environment than previous jobs with managers and seniors saying things like "We should carpet bomb the middle east because every one over there hates the USA and there for is evil"
And that's a direct quote

Oh man, this one time, my coworker wouldn't fix his chat client and was causing me grief, so I created a bot that messaged everyone in the company when his chat fucked up; his problem happened twice a second and would last hours. He fixed it very quickly afterwards
WOO THAT WAS CRAZY I TELL YA

EDIT: And yeah, even I would say I'm boring. With my child hood, I very very very very very very much enjoy my quiet life
Thanks for sharing. It does relaxed. Some of the offices in places I've worked have been strict that you needed to schedule a meeting just to talk to someone at their desk.

I also prefer the very very very quiet life IRL but this is the Internet. Go mucking fental

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
He’s frightened of the politics forum. Take a guess, lol.
Frightened?

Lol, no

I just don't go to a gaming forum to talk about politics, and find that the commentary about politics being injected into games is bad while having a section dedicated to politics to be hypocritical

As an aside, I've seen a few guilds I've been in recently try to do a politics channel or whatever in whatever flavor of VOIP they're using; it typically gets shut down and that sentiment above is quoted, as well as the "People can't remain civil," notion

I rarely talk about macro politics in general anyways, let alone on the internet; if I were, it definetely wouldn't be a gaming focused web site

-Arcadia-

Banned
Frightened?

Lol, no

That's the tone your own post imparts. In combination with reporting anybody for anything that would break office rules (so, most of Gaf, then), it paints a very particular picture.

If that picture is wrong, fair play, and you do you, but you painted it yourself.

I just don't go to a gaming forum to talk about politics, and find that the commentary about politics being injected into games is bad while having a section dedicated to politics to be hypocritical

Big brain. Not wanting politics forced into entertainment and having an optional forum to share debate with members, are totally the same thing.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
That's the tone your own post imparts. In combination with reporting anybody for anything that would break office rules (so, most of Gaf, then), it paints a very particular picture.

If that picture is wrong, fair play, and you do you, but you painted it yourself.
I spoke from my experiences in the office cultures of my industry of choice; shit I worked for a Christian college at one point and day one when I sat in my chair my boss sent me this

Which doesn't surprise me would fly if people can say things akin to "I support genocide," and not be fired

Granted, the art no longer belongs to the artist once the audience experiences/interprets it; so you take what you want with my picture ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Big brain. Not wanting politics forced into entertainment and having an optional forum to share debate with members, are totally the same thing.
In your opinion. I don't share the same sentiment, and I personally am not offended that you support it being here; just not my cup of tea and find it hypocritical ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personal insults aside.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with having a containment subforum? Shit spills to the offtopic threads all the time and that is with 2 gaming subforums and a politics one. I think the "Biden is a pedo/ Trump is a rapist" posts being mostly stuck on one subforum is better than it being all over the place.

Moogle11

Banned
What's wrong with having a containment subforum? Shit spills to the offtopic threads all the time and that is with 2 gaming subforums and a politics one. I think the "Biden is a pedo/ Trump is a rapist" posts being mostly stuck on one subforum is better than it being all over the place.

Agreed, it's much better to have that in one place than festering throughout the whole forum like over on Era.

I mean in a perfect world I'd love a gaming only forum without off topic etc. as stuff always ends up bleeding out into the gaming forum as you have people primarily there for the politics and other things who then stir up stuff sometimes in the gaming areas of sites, bad will between members arguing there spilling over into gaming threads etc. That sort of thing was an issue even back in the day when I was on Cheapassgamer and they had a politics forum. It's just worse now as politics has gotten much more intertwined with gaming/entertainment after gamergate, Trump etc. and more entertainment industry folks injecting politics into their project.

Thus there's not good way to avoid it these days, and having a dedicated area for the bulk of it as least makes it easier for those of us disinterested in engaging to avoid a lot of it. Plus it seems to generate a lot of posts, refreshes and ad views which help keep sites afloat in a time where traditional forum traffic is no where near what it was at the peak before social media, Reddit etc.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Essentially the below is the truth in general on the practice
I mean in a perfect world I'd love a gaming only forum without off topic etc. as stuff always ends up bleeding out into the gaming forum...

Thus there's not good way to avoid it these days, and having a dedicated area for the bulk of it as least makes it easier for those of us disinterested in engaging to avoid a lot of it.

I have an issue with the root cause, not with the practices to accommodate the issue

MetalAlien

Banned
Oh wait this gives me an idea. What if everytime someone is banned they are actually just restricted from posting anywhere except a dunce sub forum? That way we could see them rage or in the case of me being banned I could still post on gaf, No images or links allowed on the dunce forum of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom