• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan7

Banned
Oh wait this gives me an idea. What if everytime someone is banned they are actually just restricted from posting anywhere except a dunce sub forum? That way we could see them rage or in the case of me being banned I could still post on gaf, No images or links allowed on the dunce forum of course.
That’s exactly what happens when you get banned in GTA online. You can only play with other dunces

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wait this gives me an idea. What if everytime someone is banned they are actually just restricted from posting anywhere except a dunce sub forum? That way we could see them rage or in the case of me being banned I could still post on gaf, No images or links allowed on the dunce forum of course.
I think matt brought up prison before. Eh, it just isn't the same without the cavity search and made up charges.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
oh wait we could call it CHAZ!
Only if their avatar gets changed to this while they are in CHAZ

IaY3Kfe.png

I'm not sure that I understand how a user is free to shit on Nintendo, calling Animal Crossing a turd and its fans suckers who will buy anything, who himself has no knowledge of the IP (so he is obviously trolling) and not receive a warning?

To imply that only one fanbase has suckers who will buy anything is ridiculous, and going into any thread to stir shit because that game sold really well is adding to the console war bullshit plaguing Gaming.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I understand how a user is free to shit on Nintendo, calling Animal Crossing a turd and its fans suckers who will buy anything, who himself has no knowledge of the IP (so he is obviously trolling) and not receive a warning?

To imply that only one fanbase has suckers who will buy anything is ridiculous, and going into any thread to stir shit because that game sold really well is adding to the console war bullshit plaguing Gaming.

I mean, the TLOU II review thread is full of people claiming Sony paid the critics off.

The reviews industry is full of corporate pressure and payola, especially for AAA games.

I agree but that fact is a weapon selectively used by certain users as a bludgeon against the games they don't like while it isn't brought up otherwise. Similar to people who will tell you sales mean nothing because sports games/CoD games sell well to discredit a game they hate while a game they love selling is proof people like it. I don't have time to track every single person's activity but I seriously doubt they all stick to their principled ideas across all arguments, in the same sense that if someone was pro-PS4 last gen for it's power they didn't suddenly switch to the One X when it was more powerful than the Pro, they probably just switched arguments.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

He has to make a smash "no shower joke" as a follow up to get a warning.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Animal Crossing's massive sales seems to have really pissed some people off. A LOT of personal insults leveled at Nintendo fans in that thread. Sad.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Animal Crossing's massive sales seems to have really pissed some people off. A LOT of personal insults leveled at Nintendo fans in that thread. Sad.
The Pokemon thread was the exactly the same thing though? Although to be fair people that were talking about said that game had played every PKMN title to date.

As for the personal insults

"This game is made for kids"
Yes, it even says so in the box. It was totally made for kids. So?
"Nintendo fans buy everything"
Yes, this is known. And?
"GAEM A SHIT! SHIT!"
Cool story.

Are we talking about the thread made by the guy with the console warring tag?

Jooxed

Gold Member

I guess maybe I don't understand the dynamic. I pretty much keep to myself and in the Nintendo GAF thread's and the couple of friends that I have the forum. I occasionally poke my head into OT and poke fun poke fun of Resetera in communities. In a lot of threads I have seen in the past lately I have seen people just shitting on Nintendo fans saying they will buy anything and fanboys this and that posting memes just this morning in our announcement thread's that some people are excited about.

I get it it's a predominantly Sony/PC forum and that's cool, but some of us are trying to help and breed excitement and discussions from consoles that WE love. If I went into any thread and posted the same memes about that console I would get a warning or ban I am sure of it. I guess I am just wondering where we draw the line with what memes are okay to crap on some fans but not others?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Gaming side needs to develop a culture of rejecting idiots, like Politics and OT have.

We shouldn't be looking to the mods, before looking to ourselves.

Treat low-effort trolling with the shaming it deserves, or try to make one of these people back up their beliefs and sustain an actual conversation for two seconds, so they can reveal how truly stupid they are.

Not in the mood for it? Anti-confrontational? Contribute something awesome to the thread instead. Guarantee that people that have any level of intelligence, will flock to that over low-effort trolling.

CatLady

I guess maybe I don't understand the dynamic. I pretty much keep to myself and in the Nintendo GAF thread's and the couple of friends that I have the forum. I occasionally poke my head into OT and poke fun poke fun of Resetera in communities. In a lot of threads I have seen in the past lately I have seen people just shitting on Nintendo fans saying they will buy anything and fanboys this and that posting memes just this morning in our announcement thread's that some people are excited about.

I get it it's a predominantly Sony/PC forum and that's cool, but some of us are trying to help and breed excitement and discussions from consoles that WE love. If I went into any thread and posted the same memes about that console I would get a warning or ban I am sure of it. I guess I am just wondering where we draw the line with what memes are okay to crap on some fans but not others?

I don't get the Nintendo/Nintendo fan hate. Xbox and PS fans continuously snipe back and forth at each other and that breeds animosity and stirs the console wars. I don't recall seeing Nintendo fans constantly coming into Xbox or PS threads and putting down either console and harassing those fans.

It seems to me that Nintendo fans stick mostly to Nintendo threads and avoid the console wars altogether. Yet I've heard frequently "Nintendo fans are the worst". Why? Nintendo fans what have you done to stir up so much animosity? :lollipop_confused:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't get the Nintendo/Nintendo fan hate. Xbox and PS fans continuously snipe back and forth at each other and that breeds animosity and stirs the console wars. I don't recall seeing Nintendo fans constantly coming into Xbox or PS threads and putting down either console and harassing those fans.

It seems to me that Nintendo fans stick mostly to Nintendo threads and avoid the console wars altogether. Yet I've heard frequently "Nintendo fans are the worst". Why? Nintendo fans what have you done to stir up so much animosity? :lollipop_confused:

URDFJyf.jpg

Last edited:
The Pokemon thread was the exactly the same thing though? Although to be fair people that were talking about said that game had played every PKMN title to date.

As for the personal insults

"This game is made for kids"
Yes, it even says so in the box. It was totally made for kids. So?
"Nintendo fans buy everything"
Yes, this is known. And?
"GAEM A SHIT! SHIT!"
Cool story.

Are we talking about the thread made by the guy with the console warring tag?
Yes. The one where the new Animal Crossing sold 20 million copies but my issue is with kretos' posts, not the OP. I guess I just expected to see a warning slapped on the post like with other similar troll posts.

EDIT: Oh shit, I initially said 40 million copies when I was thinking of 4 million views.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. The one where the new Animal Crossing sold 40 million copies but my issue is with kretos' posts, not the OP. I guess I just expected to see a warning slapped on the post like with other similar troll posts.

That entire thread is a circle jerk thanks to the OP. But right he does come off ass a dick. The other guy did get banned though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Gaming side needs to develop a culture of rejecting idiots, like Politics and OT have.

Treat low-effort trolling with the shaming it deserves, or try to make one of these people back up their beliefs and sustain an actual conversation for two seconds, so they can reveal how truly stupid they are.

Not in the mood for it? Anti-confrontational? Contribute something awesome to the thread instead. Guarantee that people that have any level of intelligence, will flock to that over low-effort trolling.

O, and this only works if you're willing to call out someone on your 'team' (if you must have one). Fanboys from each side pointing at each other is just Spider-Man meme, and will go nowhere.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why? Nintendo fans what have you done to stir up so much animosity? :lollipop_confused:

Same thing people in MAGA hats did to deserve being assaulted or harassed -- had a different opinion.

Same retarded tribalism from people who drool out their alphabits on their keyboard while typing, a little more restrained.

cormack12

Gold Member

Good post. I guess some people find themselves as the old guard now since the reawakening. I've tried to be in more general threads lately that I wouldn't have been in normally. Mainly because I want a handle on all MS services before considering a switch. But I ribbed on the PS5 design and said the PS5 event wasn't amazing and was basically treated like I hated playstation lol

I think yeah people need to enter those topics and diffuse all the sniping and shit. All of us. Some of the tech stuff is stupid. It took me like two weeks of reading unreal docs and watcing vids before I felt comfortable enough to publicy have a chat about how it worked. Too many assumptions are made and passed off as the truth. I think if there was 5/6 people asking for proof or an actual breakdown to challenge people might not spout off as much. Having said that Im also quite chill so dont find it particuarly hard to avoide threads

Moogle11

Banned
O, and this only works if you're willing to call out someone on your 'team' (if you must have one). Fanboys from each side pointing at each other is just Spider-Man meme, and will go nowhere.

Yeah, that's not going to happen given the nature of fanboys. If the owner and staff here want to make it more civil, it will be on the mods (and probably needing to find more) to proactively and aggressively read threads and warn people for trolling/console warring and suspend and ban repeat offenders. Reporting by users helps, but there's always going to be problems with that as users bait people and then report, forums tend to have more fans/fanboys of the dominate (sales wise) platform than the others who just report the other side etc.

I'm not saying that needs to be done, they can decide what threshold of discourse they're good with. Just that console warring, fanboy nonsense is only ever semi-ok on forums like Gaf back in the day or Era presently where moderation teams are large, proactive and aggressive. And I'm not sure that's a good thing as that type of mod behavior tends to bleed out into other issues and lead to the echo chamber/thought policing stuff we saw here before the split on era sense. It's a lot of mod power and power tends to corrupt over time.

For myself, I just throw the moron fanboys on ignore and move on. Few are rarely going to have anything of value to say as most of their posts are just praising "their" platform or trashing the others and it's fans.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, that's not going to happen given the nature of fanboys. If the owner and staff here want to make it more civil, it will be on the mods (and probably needing to find more) to proactively and aggressively read threads and warn people for trolling/console warring and suspend and ban repeat offenders. Reporting by users helps, but there's always going to be problems with that as users bait people and then report, forums tend to have more fans/fanboys of the dominate (sales wise) platform than the others who just report the other side etc.

I'm not saying that needs to be done, they can decide what threshold of discourse they're good with. Just that console warring, fanboy nonsense is only ever semi-ok on forums like Gaf back in the day or Era presently where moderation teams are large, proactive and aggressive. And I'm not sure that's a good thing as that type of mod behavior tends to bleed out into other issues and lead to the echo chamber/thought policing stuff we saw here before the split on era sense. It's a lot of mod power and power tends to corrupt over time.

For myself, I just throw the moron fanboys on ignore and move on. Few are rarely going to have anything of value to say as most of their posts are just praising "their" platform or trashing the others and it's fans.

It certainly won't happen with that attitude.

I'd like to think that most of us, even the ones that have gotten pissed and caught up in warring, want an intelligent, fun place to hang out and discuss.

I agree with your point about overactive moderation, and that's part of why I made the point. We have great people here, nothing like a Reset mod, but as a general concept, moderation is something that tends to go wrong, the harder it's applied. You run into all sorts of freedom of speech and consistency issues.

Not only that, thouh, it's just not their job to sort out every little scuffle, and I would think it's obnoxious/near impossible to do so. Mods should be for truly troublesome content, users, or issues -- they aren't your parents, especially for 20, 30, and 40 year olds.

If this sounds hostile, it totally isn't, I'm just working through some anger right now, and this is all stuff on my mind too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Moogle11

Banned
Btw, ignore button truly is underrated. It isn't silencing opinions when someone says nothing worthwhile on a constant basis anyway.

Exactly. Ignoring is only stupid/lame when it's people in say politics spewing their shit and then ignoring people who disagree with them, as that's cowardly. I have no interest in seriously debating anything with anyone online. I'm here for the gaming news and discussion first and foremost, and don't care about the console warring nonsense. Even if I am "silencing opinions" I'm not missing out on anything I care to see. Those people are rarely posting game news, rarely posting in game OTs etc.

This site is a gaming news aggregator and a place for me to casually shoot the shit about what I'm playing and looking forward to with other people who like games. I'll occasionally venture into other types of topics when I'm bored/procrastinating work, but I regret that more often than not as I just don't care much about debating or arguing with randos online (or reading arguments between randos).

Edit, the ignore thread feature is even more of godsend. I wouldn't be surprised if I have more threads hidden than I've replied to, all via trying to hide the console warring type threads, political type threads etc. that tend to dominate the front page of gaming so I'm more likely to see the actual game news and discussion threads I'm mostly here for.

Last edited:

ShinNL

After that AC thread my ignore list grew by like 6 users... which is quite a lot considering I had only 2, which I forgot why I had them in the first place.

So then I realized... it would be nice if we could put memos for ignored users or put these people in categorized groups. Or giving them personal timeouts would be a nice feature too.

I didn't feel like reporting because while some opinions suck, they weren't that cruel to people (except for the one guy who was). However, I personally do think they're just too immature and serve no value whatsoever and a report would be at best a slap on the wrist by a mod. I'm not really here to help them grow up, that's their parents' job, so some upgrades on the ignore list would be nice.

Edit: cleaned the 2 existing ignored users. I checked the ignored threads and realized I accidentally ignored 2 users with it. Sorry cormack12 cormack12 , you were one of them :messenger_grinning_sweat:
stop shilling Jimquisition videos :P

Last edited:

CatLady

Unfortunately it's not likely to happen though.

I've only seen Xbox fans call out other Xbox fans a couple of times i.e. Meirl & Timdog both for being over the top obnoxious fanboys and when a bunch of Xbox fans (I think most were Meirl's imaginary friends) kept insisting PS5 was not RDA2 even after the AMD Conference. I know I went off on them and I think others did too.

The only times I recall Sony fans criticizing their own is when Demigod ran John from DF out of GAF and when MHK totally went off on TherapistGaymer for no reason.

I haven't seen any Nintendo fans behave like the examples above so I haven't seen any Nintendo fans criticize their own fans other than maybe some of us criticizing the people insulting Nintendo fans in the Animal Crossing thread. I don't know which console most of those people obsess over and it doesn't matter, they were rude and obnoxious.

There are probably more cases that I don't recall or haven't witnessed but still it's few and far between on both sides and I will admit I'm as guilty as anyone else. I don't know how you're going to get that to change.

I just got mod'd for posting this

in the PS5 OT

CSIC3Ly.png

But which GoT thread would have been better? There is nothing in the last few pages related to GoT, the tweet didn't need it's own thread, I didn't know where to put it. Just a simple get hype post. Was I actually reported for this?

I wasn't in a rush, I just didn't know where to put it. Searched for GoT threads and there was nothing recent. Seemed releveant in a hot/trending Playstation thread

(edit: there is so much more I can say about the "rush to post" jab, like how many times I try to add something to an ongoing thread to consolidate discussion and 20 minutes later someone just copies it into a new thread anyway, but whatever.)

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

in the PS5 OT

CSIC3Ly.png

But which GoT thread would have been better? There is nothing in the last few pages related to GoT, the tweet didn't need it's own thread, I didn't know where to put it. Just a simple get hype post. Was I actually reported for this?

I wasn't in a rush, I just didn't know where to put it. Searched for GoT threads and there was nothing recent. Seemed releveant in a hot/trending Playstation thread

(edit: there is so much more I can say about the "rush to post" jab, like how many times I try to add something to an ongoing thread to consolidate discussion and 20 minutes later someone just copies it into a new thread anyway, but whatever.)

The fuck....

Let this man rush with posts. If it wouldnt be for him i would skip most threads.

Moogle11

Banned

in the PS5 OT

CSIC3Ly.png

I don't think that needed modded, but I do think there is an issue with too many threads about specific games pre launch. That leads to cases like this where there's no way to know where to post little news bits or new videos etc. that come out.

It would be better if big games just had one consolidated thread for news and previews before release IMO. Just like they get one review thread and an OT upon release. That's never been the standard here that I can recall, but it makes sense to me vs. having all the clutter of multiple threads for games before release when most of it isn't really notable enough to warrant a new thread.

Again, I think a console catch all thread is fine for little blurbs like that (what else is the thread for given the ton of threads for any tiny bit of PS5/XSX news?). Just not ideal as I never read those catch all threads, but do read the game ones.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't think that needed modded, but I do think there is an issue with too many threads about specific games pre launch. That leads to cases like this where there's no way to know where to post little news bits or new videos etc. that come out.

It would be better if big games just had one consolidated thread for news and previews before release IMO. Just like they get one review thread and an OT upon release. That's never been the standard here that I can recall, but it makes sense to me vs. having all the clutter of multiple threads for games before release when most of it isn't really notable enough to warrant a new thread.

Again, I think a console catch all thread is fine for little blurbs like that (what else is the thread for given the ton of threads for any tiny bit of PS5/XSX news?). Just not ideal as I never read those catch all threads, but do read the game ones.

If that's done though, updating the thread title is a must. I've lost so much news in megathreads like that. You just think people are talking, not that a major update has happened.

I don't think that needed modded, but I do think there is an issue with too many threads about specific games pre launch.

That's what I was saying tho, I didn't create a new thread, was trying to find a recent, revelant thread to put it in.

An off-topic post was deleted from the thread. It's really not a big deal, Jare, and this is the sort of thing the mod team does to keep the forum running smoothly. Giving them a hard time over it doesn't help anyone.

Giving me a hard time for "being in a rush to post" when that wasn't the case, though? I searched, nothing recent about GoT, it's a Sony exclusive, it is a harmless hype tweet, posted in a Sony thread. I don't see the foul. What harm did it do?

If the rush to post thing was also about typoes, or mistakes in titles, that isn't rushing, it's about me being a moron who makes mistakes

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
If that's done though, updating the thread title is a must. I've lost so much news in megathreads like that. You just think people are talking, not that a major update has happened.

Yeah, that's a good thought as well. Catch all thread are kind of annoying in that regard. But of course posting something about an upcoming game in an even bigger catch all thread about a next gen console is even more likely to get fixed.

So I'm not sure what the solution is for things that aren't really worth a new thread, and when there's not a clear preview thread for posting small things like that. *shrugs*

Moogle11

Banned
That's what I was saying tho, I didn't create a new thread, was trying to find a recent, relevant thread to put it in.

Oh I know. As I said above, without a clear preview thread for game, it's unclear where's best to post things that aren't thread worthy. I'm just not sure what the best solution is, given the good point Arcadia raised about catch all threads often going ignored after a while.

This is all off topic for the ban thread at this point anyway. Maybe the site needs a feedback thread for more general suggestions? Seems like it had one back in the day, or maybe that was just Era (not that they ever cared about feedback).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom