• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
So Coily received a permanent ban for this even though posts later in the thread show that this was in fact one of the reasons that the school is dropping the chant.

Have you read the ban message All Hail C-Webb All Hail C-Webb ? This is it copy/pasted (truncated):

Coily Coily PostJun 21, 2020Permanent[+++Multiple]

Coily was not banned for that single post, or even their opinions - as you, and they, probably well know. They were banned for their sustained low effort posting with no substance and dripping with their own self-sense of virtousness. They contributed nothing, except snappy one line rhetoric just to incite trouble. They even failed at that because most members just laughed at them. Here is just some of that user's short posting history:

They were not here for discussion, they were here to martyr themselves. Twitter is a much better outlet for people like this who just want to be heard, but have nothing to say. They don't have to be challenged there, and can just throw down one liners in response. Then use hearts and retweets as validation. We cannot ask the community to put up with blatant trolls who just want to rage out. There is wiggle room but this user exhausted it pretty quickly, given their interactions.

You either Jewish or Black you fucking prick?
Deleting part of my post and calling me a troll who will get permed if I ever make the comparison again, because I said that I imagine the pain that African Americans feel when they see a statue of a confederate leader is similar to the pain I would feel as a Jew walking through Germany if the Germans were assholes enough to have Hitler statues in the streets.
Nobody else had any issue with it. The other Jew I was discussing it with didn't take issue, but your hitler loving ass did.
It's a common discussion among Jews, and was recently brought up by the Rabbi at one of the biggest Synagogues in NY.

So, while I enjoy GAF and have been here probably since the 90s, I'm not going to kowtow to your bitch ass. Fuck hitler, fuck the confederate traitors, and fuck you too.

This is false. I can see you have had two recent interactions, first for the below

This post was edited at the top for comparing something to Hitler, it didn't make any of the appeals to emotions or contain any nuance as you imagine:

Let's say Germany hadn't banned nazi propoganda, and a few Hitler statues had been erected in Germany.
Do you think that Jews living there would be comfortable passing statues of Hitler on their daily commute?
Would it be wrong to protest for their removal?
I know I'd be trying to tear that shit down. You wouldn't join me?

It was edited out, because it was clarified later in the thread by yourself here. So instead of that comment derailing the thread, we removed it and let the context correct it later. You can make controversial comparisons but we need more than 'This is Alt-Right, lol', and you received an alert to this affect. The warning text didn't threaten a perm as far as I can see:

Info: User made point reducing a comparison down to Hitler/Nazi's. Later specified this was a different comparison beyond the topic. Had post edited to properly frame their qualifiers and warned not leave out critical information or we will take this as c[..]

The report truncates here but based on the report update I'm guessing it said 'confirmed antagonism, leading to a ban' or something along those lines.

Your second warning was - for again - using inflammatory and sweeping generalisation here, using the term killer cracker. Which must have been an in-vogue term (or one you just became aware of) as you were desperate to get it in there as a 'win'.

Also, while I'm not particularly bothered by whatever you decide to call us, please try to have some class. This is a public conversation of mediation and should be entered into as such. Not naughty child shouting at parents after necking three red bulls and being grounded.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I still think I want that ban

YyBMXcy.png

(and 27 others lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very surprised Kazza Kazza got banned as he contributes a lot to GAF for news and the SEGA side.

I looked at the comment he was banned on and don't really see his post as Warrior Bait.

Any clarification if he has done this in the past as he tends to not really get involved in the PS/Xbox infighting. :(

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
I am very surprised Kazza Kazza got banned as he contributes a lot to GAF for news and the SEGA side.

I looked at the comment he was banned on and don't really see his post as Warrior Bait.

Hi Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice

I just double checked that one, I had to go through the thread, looked like the wrong post id was tagged mistakenly (could be mobile quirk). For some reason it jumps down. The comments about 9TF to bait people have long been explained now. This is a direct link:

As in all these cases, the offer has been made to this user to prove they are not just baiting/being antagonistic by providing their evidence. They are also free to contact us with acknowledgement of the issue and we can maybe review the ban down. Until then, it reads as a deliberate attempt at 'points scoring' or an attempt to derail the thread into fighting.

MIght as well ask this here because if I'm banned, i'll be in the right thread,

What's the deal with the Sony 9tf~10.2TF shit? I get that some console warriors will use the lower figure for list wars, but why is it so taboo to even slip up and say 9tf? It's like the console equivalent of saying N*gger.

I don't understand the technical aspect of what variable means, or why there's such a clamp-down on people just saying 9tf? Is it that much of a big deal? The PS5 could have 1tf, the games still look fantastic.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

What's the deal with the Sony 9tf~10.2TF shit? I get that some console warriors will use the lower figure for list wars, but why is it so taboo to even slip up and say 9tf? It's like the console equivalent of saying N*gger.

I don't understand the technical aspect of what variable means, or why there's such a clamp-down on people just saying 9tf? Is it that much of a big deal? The PS5 could have 1tf, the games still look fantastic.
It's oftentimes disingenuous and used as console wars bait. With all due respect to the moderation staff, there seems to be a level of strictness that comes with it that, in my experience as well as others, doesn't seem to be as consistent with other console wars bait.

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy though so it could just come down to how trigger happy some fanboys are with the report button.

It's oftentimes disingenuous and used as console wars bait. With all due respect to the moderation staff, there seems to be a level of strictness that comes with it that, in my experience as well as others, doesn't seem to be as consistent with other console wars bait.

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy though so it could just come down to how trigger happy some fanboys are with the report button.
I get that it might be more straight-forward for the mods to carpet bomb anyone using 9tf as a list wars and I don't agree that there's a sonygaf or whatever. I just don't understand what the big deal is?

Is 9tf with variation upwards, worse than 10.2tf with the variation downwards? If it's variable, then it's variable. 9tf+ 10.2tf- is the variation? Mods halp?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I get that it might be more straight-forward for the mods to carpet bomb anyone using 9tf as a list wars and I don't agree that there's a sonygaf or whatever. I just don't understand what the big deal is?

Is 9tf with variation upwards, worse than 10.2tf with the variation downwards? If it's variable, then it's variable. 9tf+ 10.2tf- is the variation? Mods halp?
Isn't the 9tf stat a total worst case scenario for the PS5 in terms of variable performance?

Isn't the 9tf stat a total worst case scenario for the PS5 in terms of variable performance?
Honestly I don't know. If it is, then it's still part of the variable scale, which is why I don't get the problem with saying 9tf. Technically it's true. Not that it matters because RnC looks sick!

Anyway, i'm off to scratch my balls and sniff my fingers until the mods enlighten me.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Staying clear of wider debates in the thread for a while, but my understanding is that it won’t drop that much. Cerny specifically said something about the drops for GPU and CPU to keep things cooled and balanced, not being that impactful.

I could be wrong, but I didn’t get the sense of a Teraflop flying out the window.

Hi Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice

I just double checked that one, I had to go through the thread, looked like the wrong post id was tagged mistakenly (could be mobile quirk). For some reason it jumps down. The comments about 9TF to bait people have long been explained now. This is a direct link:

As in all these cases, the offer has been made to this user to prove they are not just baiting/being antagonistic by providing their evidence. They are also free to contact us with acknowledgement of the issue and we can maybe review the ban down. Until then, it reads as a deliberate attempt at 'points scoring' or an attempt to derail the thread into fighting.

Thank you for the clarification!

I knew about the TFlops thing and was confused at first at his post to the Ban reason but good to know it was a mistake. :)

It is the GAF equivilant of Dick shaming.

Poster 1 claims his dick is 9 inches.

Poster 2 denies it is 9 inches.

Poster 1 gets banned for misleading people he has a 9 inch penis.

At least that is how I see it. Don't mention the length (in this case, the FLOPS).

You need evidence to back up the package.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

What's the deal with the Sony 9tf~10.2TF shit? I get that some console warriors will use the lower figure for list wars, but why is it so taboo to even slip up and say 9tf? It's like the console equivalent of saying Fabian

Same. Who is getting triggered by 9F? How even? I will never understand console wars.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
He's a friend, and it comes from a place of wanting to just tease and be funny. It's not his fault he has the 'tism, so I just try to be understanding and patient.

That’s really nice. I just hope it doesn’t break the poor guys heart when he finds out about that massive 10 incher you’ve got packed inside your pants.

Saber

Gold Member
Real question since I dunno about this flops talk.

Does this happen in the other way around? I mean, people telling wrong flops number on Xbox case?

ToadMan

Real question since I dunno about this flops talk.

Does this happen in the other way around? I mean, people telling wrong flops number on Xbox case?

There are 2 types of people quoting a < 10.3tf number for PS5.

Those who have no idea how the number is derived and are just regurgitating it for console warring purposes. They should, quite rightly be asked to modify their posts to an accurate number or be sanctioned by the mods.

Then there are those who know how the tflop number is derived and choose to write a different number anyway. That’s also for console warring purposes and those people should be sanctioned by mods.

So far the moderation has been clear - provide evidence for the number you’re using and it’s fine. Post that number without evidence, expect the mods to take an interest.

Oh, the baseline for this is :

ps5-gpu-cpu-specs-sony.jpg

It seems implicit at this stage that manufacturer data should be considered accurate unless or until data measured at the retail hardware is available.

Last edited:
It is the GAF equivilant of Dick shaming.

Poster 1 claims his dick is 9 inches.

Poster 2 denies it is 9 inches.

Poster 1 gets banned for misleading people he has a 9 inch penis.

At least that is how I see it. Don't mention the length (in this case, the FLOPS).

You need evidence to back up the package.

See, isn't gaf worth sticking around for?

Same. Who is getting triggered by 9F? How even? I will never understand console wars.
I would say pussies, but the mods are the ones banning people so...pussies? Only kidding mods don't ban me

There are 2 types of people quoting a < 10.3tf number for PS5.

Those who have no idea how the number is derived and are just regurgitating it for console warring purposes. They should, quite rightly be asked to modify their posts to an accurate number or be sanctioned by the mods.

Then there are those who know how the tflop number is derived and choose to write a different number anyway. That’s also for console warring purposes and those people should be sanctioned by mods.

So far the moderation has been clear - provide evidence for the number you’re using and it’s fine. Post that number without evidence, expect the mods to take an interest.

Oh, the baseline for this is :

ps5-gpu-cpu-specs-sony.jpg

It seems implicit at this stage that manufacturer data should be considered accurate unless or until data measured at the retail hardware is available.

Thanks for posting this and for the effort of your post! I guess it's just as simple as "people using 9tf are doing so to bait and console war", i just don't agree that normal posters can get caught up in that. Posters like Kazza, he's alright, i never saw anything enough to cop a ban over saying 9tf.

Console warz b crazzee

Edit: i just saw the Mod of War post after typing this. I'll move to meta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom