• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
Let's welcome back Calverz Calverz , who seemed to have been permabanned by you-know-who for...liking Xbox?

iI378Qe.png
4dd26d747bacdc68485c9ea0dd6c68b9.jpg

Fake

Let's welcome back Calverz Calverz , who seemed to have been permabanned by you-know-who for...liking Xbox?

iI378Qe.png

Lmao. Thats crazy.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

iI378Qe.png
Sounds like his days are numbered if he hasn't changed his ways 😇

-Arcadia-

Banned

iI378Qe.png

Wow. Even by his standards, that is egregious.

Welcome back, Calverz Calverz

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

iI378Qe.png

Reported.

Kagey K

Banned

iI378Qe.png
Ok WTF?

What does the Dreamcast have to do with that post? :messenger_dizzy:

That's one of the most blatant examples you have posted so far.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've heard that SleepDoctor got perma, not sure what happened, but is perma bans even necessary? I mean isn't there like 1 month/3 months/6 months/1 year bans max instead? He was naughty, I guess, but had some decent chats with him, although he tends to laugh at my posts. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

To me it sounds like it's a PM thing, so not sure what happened between him and the mods. I don't know, it feels like I lost someone.:lollipop_crying:

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I've heard that SleepDoctor got perma, not sure what happened, but is perma bans even necessary? I mean isn't there like 1 month/3 months/6 months/1 year bans max instead? He was naughty, I guess, but had some decent chats with him, although he tends to laugh at my posts. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

To me it sounds like it's a PM thing, so not sure what happened between him and the mods. I don't know, it feels like I lost someone.:lollipop_crying:
The way he was dueling with Mod of War Mod of War shows that he wasn't going to respect anyone at the forum. Someone mentioned it above to him that we are playing in their (the mods) sandbox...which means we still have to play by the rules. This thread is meant for those to give a presentation for why they should or shouldn't have been banned and defend with evidence. Then, a mod will review it. Apparently SleepDoctor had a history of defiance and his presentation here today was not one of reform but rather passive aggressive lashing out at the mods. Everyone has their limits and unless we're GAF gold members...then we're using an expensive gaming forum for free. If I get a warning, I have to assume that there's a reason. Now that GAF has very well reformed since 2016 -- you have to be a troll or really obnoxious to be getting bans. It's not like it was before.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The way he was dueling with Mod of War Mod of War shows that he wasn't going to respect anyone at the forum. Someone mentioned it above to him that we are playing in their (the mods) sandbox...which means we still have to play by the rules. This thread is meant for those to give a presentation for why they should or shouldn't have been banned and defend with evidence. Then, a mod will review it. Apparently SleepDoctor had a history of defiance and his presentation here today was not one of reform but rather passive aggressive lashing out at the mods. Everyone has their limits and unless we're GAF gold members...then we're using an expensive gaming forum for free. If I get a warning, I have to assume that there's a reason. Now that GAF has very well reformed since 2016 -- you have to be a troll or really obnoxious to be getting bans. It's not like it was before.

Didn't follow him that much outside the speculation thread, but he was interacting in a more civil way in the PS5 OT thread and think he's not in full troll mode all the time. I'm used to interacting with people sharing the extreme opposite of my opinions/preferences all the time, but when it gets personal that when it should stop. I don't remember him going personal with me, so my insight about his behavior is pretty narrow outside of that.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Didn't follow him that much outside the speculation thread, but he was interacting in a more civil way in the PS5 OT thread and think he's not in full troll mode all the time. I'm used to interacting with people sharing the extreme opposite of my opinions/preferences all the time, but when it gets personal that when it should stop. I don't remember him going personal with me, so my insight about his behavior is pretty narrow outside of that.
I know a certain member who I followed on here who had a meltdown in this thread, too. To me, they didn't seem that extreme but to read the post he get temp banned from...he was consoles warring big time. I'm not mentioning the name because I believe he's no longer banned. However, his little meltdown here didn't look so great and was a bit cringe-worthy.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have had my own meltdown so I understand where Sleep is coming from in some capacity. I dont have a history like he does though with mods/bans/ whatever but what I will say is when you are trying to get your point across that you believe something is fundamental wrong on Gaf you are basically made fun of by a lot of people here. BUt at some point you have to accept its the fucking internet and you dont control it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I know a certain member who I followed on here who had a meltdown in this thread, too. To me, they didn't seem that extreme but to read the post he get temp banned from...he was consoles warring big time. I'm not mentioning the name because I believe he's no longer banned. However, his little meltdown here didn't look so great and was a bit cringe-worthy.

I don't know man, if you go deeper, we are still in the pandemic, many have lost their jobs, have their finances ruined, and might even lost someone they care about. To be in a gaming thread and be extremely toxic doesn't make sense but could be reflective of such things, especially personal harsh attacks/insults.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I have had my own meltdown so I understand where Sleep is coming from in some capacity. I dont have a history like he does though with mods/bans/ whatever but what I will say is when you are trying to get your point across that you believe something is fundamental wrong on Gaf you are basically made fun of by a lot of people here. BUt at some point you have to accept its the fucking internet and you dont control it.
There are many ways to avert meltdowns. The first I see would be to try to subtly and privately ignore the person, thread, or forum that might have been bothering you. For me, I'm not into politics...then again, no one is forcing me to go to that forum. I'll repost this but I'm sure it's been done already.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There are many ways to avert meltdowns. The first I see would be to try to subtly and privately ignore the person, thread, or forum that might have been bothering you. For me, I'm not into politics...then again, no one is forcing me to go to that forum. I'll repost this but I'm sure it's been done already.

Ignore probably works for a lot of people but it just depends on your habits and what threads you like to comment on.

In some cases a thread can be totally unreadable with certain people blocked and then it can feel like no matter what you do you can't escape the negativity.

Is the right answer to ignore the thread? Probably, but at the same time you could make an argument that if you can't get through a thread due to poster(s) basically ruling every post you visit then there's a good chance they are trolling/bullshitting/shit posting etc.

Him being banned is probably good for his mental health at times like these.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

TBH I tried to do ye olde HR style "We're listening, do the work to prove your point," and the dude wouldn't even do that

I mean if you're complaining about the current status of the forum, you're going to have things that stick out in your mind to remind you of your grievance; easy to copy pasta

Hate a situation, by all means, but when trying to talk about it to others, at least TRY to communicate it in a logical way with evidence

I don't know man, if you go deeper, we are still in the pandemic, many have lost their jobs, have their finances ruined, and might even lost someone they care about. To be in a gaming thread and be extremely toxic doesn't make sense but could be reflective of such things, especially personal harsh attacks/insults.
General hardship isn't an excuse to act completely irrational
EDIT: For example, like, most of this forum (Beyond the standard generation jump warring)
If you have something to bitch about, and it's founded, you can provide evidence behind it

Everyone is capable of being a shitter; but know when to nod and struggle with not being a shitter with others
brap is harmless
brap brap is my guilty pleasure of "This dude is an ass hole, but fuck me he has a point."
Coming from another ass hole, mind you

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would like to ask you, EviLore EviLore , to please reconsider the perm on SleepDoctor SleepDoctor . Maybe just a little time away to cool off. I'm trying to spend a lot less time here myself right now so I don't get banned. I realize he shouldn't be disrespectful to the Mods. They have a really tough job especially right now and overall they do a great job. Right now GAF isn't a fun place to be an Xbox fan and tempers are running a little too high.

Several Sony fans have been allowed to have permanent bans reduced.

This guy came directly back from a ban, had 10 previous warnings per his ban message and proceeded to post this meltdown thread in gaming with NO repercussions:

Can we please give S Sleep Doctor the same consideration that several Sony fans have received?

Thank you in advance for time and consideration

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Ignore probably works for a lot of people but it just depends on your habits and what threads you like to comment on.

In some cases a thread can be totally unreadable with certain people blocked and then it can feel like no matter what you do you can't escape the negativity.

Is the right answer to ignore the thread? Probably, but at the same time you could make an argument that if you can't get through a thread due to poster(s) basically ruling every post you visit then there's a good chance they are trolling/bullshitting/shit posting etc.

Him being banned is probably good for his mental health at times like these.
I feel like this comes out to be a of personal preference

There is some degree of responsibility with the viewer engaging that content; mute a voice that's prominent there and you'll likely to miss a lot of conversation
You can either learn to engage in the conversation you feel that's effective, and hope that people can understand your message over time, or a various other amount of solutions I suppose

CatLady CatLady I'd say let it rest on the minds of the admins for a bit and bark up the tree later
If you're saying parties need to cool off, let 'em cool off, eh?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I would like to ask you, EviLore EviLore , to please reconsider the perm on SleepDoctor SleepDoctor . Maybe just a little time away to cool off. I'm trying to spend a lot less time here myself right now so I don't get banned. I realize he shouldn't be disrespectful to the Mods. They have a really tough job especially right now and overall they do a great job. Right now GAF isn't a fun place to be an Xbox fan and tempers are running a little too high.

Several Sony fans have been allowed to have permanent bans reduced.

This guy came directly back from a ban, had 10 previous warnings per his ban message and proceeded to post this meltdown thread in gaming with NO repercussions:

Can we please give S Sleep Doctor the same consideration that several Sony fans have received?

Thank you in advance for time and consideration

He followed up with a nasty support email, so that isn’t happening.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I feel like this comes out to be a of personal preference

There is some degree of responsibility with the viewer engaging that content; mute a voice that's prominent there and you'll likely to miss a lot of conversation
You can either learn to engage in the conversation you feel that's effective, and hope that people can understand your message over time, or a various other amount of solutions I suppose

CatLady CatLady I'd say let it rest on the minds of the admins for a bit and bark up the tree later
If you're saying parties need to cool off, let 'em cool off, eh?

But this doesn't work when the other person blocks you. When people block each other or if one is blocked and then they try to engage in the conversation things are constantly lost.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yikes.
Dude... What the point of reach at this level? Sending shit emails... People really take gaf serious.
Times are tough and people are on edge. It's especially unfortunate how some are so attached to brands and so influenced by marketing that these material possesions become internalized as part of their identity and thus any kind of attack on that brand is by virtue an attack on themselves. It can be maddening. Not saying that this is what happened in this particular circumstance - I don't know - but I see it happen in other personal relationships. Buddhist and Christian philosophy is right when it warns that excessive attachment to materialism can be a pathway to suffering.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I got a warning here why exactly?

i got 2 other warnings and didn't dispute it because it was deserved, but i think this one is not, why blame me for the thread title and give me a warning for it when i just copied the title that's in the article?

Can someone please look this? even if it will not be lifted i appreciate an answer, thanks

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Times are tough and people are on edge. It's especially unfortunate how some are so attached to brands and so influenced by marketing that these material possesions become internalized as part of their identity and thus any kind of attack on that brand is by virtue an attack on themselves. It can be maddening. Not saying that this is what happened in this particular circumstance - I don't know - but I see it happen in other personal relationships. Buddhist and Christian philosophy is right when it warns that excessive attachment to materialism can be a pathway to suffering.
I could understand taking it personally if you were on the board of directors for one of these big companies; however, even they tend not to troll the press because someone dissed their product. I have the same amazement. Someone insults your parents, wife, kids...take it personally. Someone insults your video games? Laugh it off and walk away. I think the fact that we can laugh at each other adds back the human factor to GAF. Yet, many a curmudgeon will still have an idol finger over report of reply.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I actually have been thinking about this ignore button thing. Would it be possible to request the feature when ignore is pressed it ignores both sides automatically? It might not seem necessary but removing the text form being visible by the person blocked would in my mind lead to better conversation flow and discourage banter that's not productive in many threads.

Maybe I'm crazy but it sounds good in my head.

Stuart360

So I actually have been thinking about this ignore button thing. Would it be possible to request the feature when ignore is pressed it ignores both sides automatically? It might not seem necessary but removing the text form being visible by the person blocked would in my mind lead to better conversation flow and discourage banter that's not productive in many threads.

Maybe I'm crazy but it sounds good in my head.
I think the current ignore feature is a bit pointless because all it does is remove the posts of the person you ignore, they can still see your posts though, so they can be talking shit about your posts and you wont even realize.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think the current ignore feature is a bit pointless because all it does is remove the posts of the person you ignore, they can still see your posts though, so they can be talking shit about your posts and you wont even realize.

Maybe I didn't word it right but that's basically what I think this would combat.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If the ignore button worked where the ignored party can't see your posts, then you can talk shit too without them seeing it. The same problem persists regardless.

My advice is to bear the slings and arrows of life to your fullest extent.

At that point you would be shit posting and likely deserve some type of adjustment with or without mod help. I think it's still better than a one sided ignore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
At that point you would be shit posting and likely deserve some type of adjustment with or without mod help. I think it's still better than a one sided ignore.
From the standpoint of what an open forum is ideally supposed to represent, I think the base model should be as free as possible, with individuals choosing to limit what they can see, as it pertains to their own personal user experience. Once you start adding functionality that limits other users without their consent, things get tricky.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
There is such thing as a person grabbing their own shovel and digging their own grave

If you've ignored them and they're following you around and posting inflammatory shit, and you keep seeing that "Show ignored content," in the bottom right hand corner, and you're THAT concerned; check it out, if it warrants merrit for a report, report it.

An expert or not, if a voice is large in a conversation, you have to expect ignoring that voice is going to change the dynamics of the conversation for you. Self evaluation there; do I ignore a large voice, listen to a large voice, etc.
Imagine this scenario; you're sitting playing CoD or Halo, beer on the coffee table, talking some shit having a good time
Hey, that dude in the game said something I don't agree with
There's a multitude of ways to handle that, in a way that wouldn't allow people to call YOU an ass hole

If you don't agree with the tone of the conversation, sip your beer, nod, and if they ask, you already know if you're walking on egg shells or not

Plenty of other content to engage with

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Maybe I didn't word it right but that's basically what I think this would combat.
There is such thing as a person grabbing their own shovel and digging their own grave

If you've ignored them and they're following you around and posting inflammatory shit, and you keep seeing that "Show ignored content," in the bottom right hand corner, and you're THAT concerned; check it out, if it warrants merrit for a report, report it.

An expert or not, if a voice is large in a conversation, you have to expect ignoring that voice is going to change the dynamics of the conversation for you. Self evaluation there; do I ignore a large voice, listen to a large voice, etc.
Imagine this scenario; you're sitting playing CoD or Halo, beer on the coffee table, talking some shit having a good time
Hey, that dude in the game said something I don't agree with
There's a multitude of ways to handle that, in a way that wouldn't allow people to call YOU an ass hole

If you don't agree with the tone of the conversation, sip your beer, nod, and if they ask, you already know if you're walking on egg shells or not

Plenty of other content to engage with
People can be rude on the forums but I guess you also have to ask: do they know me personally or just for my tag, avatar, user name? "Plenty of other content to engage with" 👈 Exactly! Take any insult with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom