• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calverz

Thanks for all the nice messages. Im in work just now so dont have the time to tag everything and figure out how to 😂 so much has changed in 5 years lol

For the record i am still an xbox fan and i thought halo infinite looked great, technical issues aside. But for the most part i play everything. I had all the systems last gen(current gen) and im prettt certain il probably buy both at launch.

its good to be back 😎

Clarissa

Banned
Can I ask who's the one writing the reasons behind the bans? It is so bitchy and brilliant I love it so much! Lol :messenger_squinting_tongue: :messenger_squinting_tongue:

E7O1vmM.png

Vawn

Banned
Psykodad got a permanent ban for "Attitude problem"? That seems awfully vague and unless I missed something major unwarranted.

I'd just like some clarification, because a lot of these bans these last several weeks have been reminiscent of old GAF where mods are using their authority to punish those who view various subjects differently from themselves.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Psykodad got a permanent ban for "Attitude problem"? That seems awfully vague and unless I missed something major unwarranted.

I'd just like some clarification, because a lot of these bans these last several weeks have been reminiscent of old GAF where mods are using their authority to punish those who view various subjects differently from themselves.

He had a meltdown via PM.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
a lot of these bans these last several weeks have been reminiscent of old GAF where mods are using their authority to punish those who view various subjects differently from themselves.
Considering how objectively different the moderation of "old GAF" is compared to 2020 GAF, whenever anyone says this phrase I get suspicious that their reality interpretation module is malfunctioning.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Watching him today and some others I've seen lately...I usually say to myself, 'just a matter of time.' I stopped reporting awhile ago because meltdowns, trolling, warring guys piss everyone off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watching him today and some others I've seen lately...I usually say to myself, 'just a matter of time.' I stopped reporting awhile ago because meltdowns, trolling, warring guys piss everyone off.

Trolls know how to have fun and lay back when it's gets dicey.

Mental cases keep it going and get permabanned. And I'd say resorting to PMs makes it worse. It's like a patient needing to see a psychologist in private to solve issues.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
I got a warning here why exactly?

Hi, only been around intermittently the last few days as real world things are in the way. The warning seems quite clear cut and dry. It even makes a reference about the phrase '...but it's the article title'. From the logs, there is a clear disparity about which topics you want to post and how you frame them.

As examples, if we were to just conjure up a few, can you see the difference in what you choose to post between platforms? Good, positive vibes for Playstation and the worst of the worst clickbait, inflammatory articles for Microsoft.

SonyMicrosoft
LinkLink - this title was changed as you know
LinkLink
LinkLink
Link

If you're going to post new threads, then the responsibility is on you to frame them in a way that encourages discussion of the topic and isn't just a cross post of a clickbait headline to drag the article comments onto the boards. In short, you only ever seem to share the disparaging Microsoft articles and manage to frame them in a way that is meant to be deliberately antagonistic. And yet, on the other hand seem to find none that speak negatively about Sony. Therefore the warning is is light of this behaviour and is asking you to stop spreading game bloggers clickbait headlines, as all they do is bring low effort insults/wars onto the boards. Extract the actual nuance of the topic. The warning is logged so other moderators can see this has been requested and if you persist, identify the fact you've ignored the nudge in the right direction.

If you read back through the thread you can see this action has been taken for others as well.

kretos

Banned
Hi, only been around intermittently the last few days as real world things are in the way. The warning seems quite clear cut and dry. It even makes a reference about the phrase '...but it's the article title'. From the logs, there is a clear disparity about which topics you want to post and how you frame them.

As examples, if we were to just conjure up a few, can you see the difference in what you choose to post between platforms? Good, positive vibes for Playstation and the worst of the worst clickbait, inflammatory articles for Microsoft.

SonyMicrosoft
LinkLink - this title was changed as you know
LinkLink
LinkLink
Link

If you're going to post new threads, then the responsibility is on you to frame them in a way that encourages discussion of the topic and isn't just a cross post of a clickbait headline to drag the article comments onto the boards. In short, you only ever seem to share the disparaging Microsoft articles and manage to frame them in a way that is meant to be deliberately antagonistic. And yet, on the other hand seem to find none that speak negatively about Sony. Therefore the warning is is light of this behaviour and is asking you to stop spreading game bloggers clickbait headlines, as all they do is bring low effort insults/wars onto the boards. Extract the actual nuance of the topic. The warning is logged so other moderators can see this has been requested and if you persist, identify the fact you've ignored the nudge in the right direction.

If you read back through the thread you can see this action has been taken for others as well.

Cw5s.gif

alright fair enough, thank you for the response

a question though regarding these warnings (checked the faq but didn't find anything), i have 3 warnings out of 9 and 9 warning points, i guess i will be banned if i get 9 warnings or a certain amount of points? i don't want to be banned obviously but just to understand how it works so i know when to stop pushing my luck :messenger_beaming:

ZywyPL

Banned
What's up with the butthurt caused but 9TF, for real, it it really THAT painful? I see many new bans caused but it recently, why? Because the 13/14/15TF train has derailed? Because fanboys wet dreams were crushed? And who is to blame? Sony for not delivering? The so-called insiders who spread misinformation for months? Or maybe the people who decided to attach themselves to a brand/plastic box and get mad whenever something goes not the way they wanted? Maybe ban them instead, so they can have a break, get some fresh air, and rethinking their life priories? This is getting ridiculous, in the sense it's pathetic as fuck, normal people cannot even joke or post memes/funny gifs anymore without a warning/ban because you get report spammed by the SSD fanatics (who openly claim that TFlops are only theoretical anyway, hypocrisy at its finest). Which speaking of, I see I got some warnings on my accounts as well, which I'd like to hear a justification/explanation, if not possible then I demand them to be taken down (I still didn't receive any response why I was removed form the PS5 OT thread BTW, and I listed every single post I made in that thread for review):

Why did I got a warning for this post? I still stand to what I said then, Cerny IMO doesn't have the so-called soft skills required to do the proper talking, he's not a spokesman, never has been he's a tech guy, a geek if you like, and that's exactly the reason why he's the leading architect designer and not the marketing director or some other high-level exec. If anyone got offended because I dared the to criticize his god Cerny that that's his own problem, but I thought mods are better than that? It looks like I'm not allowed to have a personal opinion/view on something if it goes against the broader audience's opinion, like I'm on REra or something...

Another one, which has apparently been deleted, but the warning states that:

Tracker warning: User alluding to the shitshow of how the recent TLoU leaks have been perceived in the nextGen thread. Logging in case this is tried again (https://www.neogaf.com/reports/23634/

I'm pretty confident that there was a clear "if" within my deleted post, because who knows, maybe the game will indeed share the same fate as let's say Resistance series, where the 3rd one despite being the best didn't do so well because of how different the 2nd game was from the original, which many fans didn't like and never gave the series a second chance afterwards. No one obviously knows how it'll all turn out in the long term for TLoU2, but I think asking questions/having doubts isn't a crime? Especially seeing the games isn't as universally acclaimed as some would like it to be, so I have all the rights to have those concerns. Or is it indeed a crime? Again, I can only imagine how many reports the post got, for no real reason other than "critique" of someones beloved brand.

And the recent one which I was actually informed about because I had to acknowledge it but it still bothers me the the most:

Like I said, jokes and having fun seems to be not allowed anymore on this forum? I had a good mood, wanted to post something funny, and I got a warning and 3 points instead, again, that's really encouraging to participle on the forum... But at the same time, the most obvious, low-effort troll/console warring threads are growing up like mushrooms after rain pretty much every single day and nothing is being done with them when XB and PS fanboys troll and attack each other like crazy. Back in the day, the so-called "old Gaf" a mod immediately closed such threads with the "No versus threads" comment and it served so damn well for everyone, but nowadays it seem there either is way to few mods to handle the moderation, or they simply don't engage unless they don't receive appropriate reports. But whatever, it's not my site, you do as you see fit, but bottom line is, you could've just ask me for deleting the post if you thought it was inappropriate, which I would do without any issues, because I cannot guess how others (including mods) will view my posts, especially in the sensitive pre-generation launch times where apparently everyone gets offended by everything, but again, who is to blame here? I cannot take responsibility for random strangers form the internet who devoted themselves into plastic wars, nor should I be punished for them.

We've seen examples of those PMs before and they are always just mouthing off at the owner of the site because they got modded. Those exchanges are never anything open to interpretation.
Or is it the perfect cover to ban users while circumventing the ban fairness thread? Pm = no questions asked.

Imnotsayingitwasaliensbutitwasaliens.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned

Elaborate please. You mean my custom tag? Honestly? I don't even know why I got it, because I was drunk. Apparently I wrote something wrong, I logged in the next day only to see that I'm banned, with a mod comment about the infamous 9TF, but the post was deleted so I couldn't even check what I actually wrote the previous day, shit happens, I just learned to never post after alcohol, simple as it is. But it doesn't change the fact how ridiculous the situation on this forum is since March 18th, like it's like some some of witch hunting, and once again, who is to blame?

haxan7

Banned
Elaborate please. You mean my custom tag? Honestly? I don't even know why I got it, because I was drunk. Apparently I wrote something wrong, I logged in the next day only to see that I'm banned, with a mod comment about the infamous 9TF, but the post was deleted so I couldn't even check what I actually wrote the previous day, shit happens, I just learned to never post after alcohol, simple as it is. But it doesn't change the fact how ridiculous the situation on this forum is since March 18th, like it's like some some of witch hunting, and once again, who is to blame?
tenor.gif

pawel86ck

Banned
Like I said, jokes and having fun seems to be not allowed anymore on this forum? I had a good mood, wanted to post something funny, and I got a warning and 3 points instead, again, that's really encouraging to participle on the forum... But at the same time, the most obvious, low-effort troll/console warring threads are growing up like mushrooms after rain pretty much every single day and nothing is being done with them
I feel you man. My last warning says I was derailing the thread and I'm removed from next gen discussion for good. Of course I can understand moderators have ultimate power and they can interpret user posts in whatever way they like, but sony fans in next gen thread derail this particular thread FOR REAL on daily basis and for some strange reason mods allow them to do that. I literally have to scroll entire page to find one interesting link because so many people post comments unrelated to next gen discussion. People there talk about everything: headphones, TV's, post funny fish images etc. and apparently that's not derailing:rolleyes:.

I think people like you and me dont expect much, we only want equal standards for everyone.

ZywyPL

Banned
In your eyes, everyone but you apparently. While it's possible that you could be 100% correct about that, there is a pattern of behavior here that suggests cognitive dissonance.

Well review all of my mentioned cases/posts and point out where the console warring is:

So which post(s) is "warring" that I got removed from the thread?

Thanks in advance.

What's up with the butthurt caused but 9TF, for real, it it really THAT painful? I see many new bans caused but it recently, why? Because the 13/14/15TF train has derailed? Because fanboys wet dreams were crushed? And who is to blame? Sony for not delivering? The so-called insiders who spread misinformation for months? Or maybe the people who decided to attach themselves to a brand/plastic box and get mad whenever something goes not the way they wanted? Maybe ban them instead, so they can have a break, get some fresh air, and rethinking their life priories? This is getting ridiculous, in the sense it's pathetic as fuck, normal people cannot even joke or post memes/funny gifs anymore without a warning/ban because you get report spammed by the SSD fanatics (who openly claim that TFlops are only theoretical anyway, hypocrisy at its finest). Which speaking of, I see I got some warnings on my accounts as well, which I'd like to hear a justification/explanation, if not possible then I demand them to be taken down (I still didn't receive any response why I was removed form the PS5 OT thread BTW, and I listed every single post I made in that thread for review):

Why did I got a warning for this post? I still stand to what I said then, Cerny IMO doesn't have the so-called soft skills required to do the proper talking, he's not a spokesman, never has been he's a tech guy, a geek if you like, and that's exactly the reason why he's the leading architect designer and not the marketing director or some other high-level exec. If anyone got offended because I dared the to criticize his god Cerny that that's his own problem, but I thought mods are better than that? It looks like I'm not allowed to have a personal opinion/view on something if it goes against the broader audience's opinion, like I'm on REra or something...

Another one, which has apparently been deleted, but the warning states that:

I'm pretty confident that there was a clear "if" within my deleted post, because who knows, maybe the game will indeed share the same fate as let's say Resistance series, where the 3rd one despite being the best didn't do so well because of how different the 2nd game was from the original, which many fans didn't like and never gave the series a second chance afterwards. No one obviously knows how it'll all turn out in the long term for TLoU2, but I think asking questions/having doubts isn't a crime? Especially seeing the games isn't as universally acclaimed as some would like it to be, so I have all the rights to have those concerns. Or is it indeed a crime? Again, I can only imagine how many reports the post got, for no real reason other than "critique" of someones beloved brand.

And the recent one which I was actually informed about because I had to acknowledge it but it still bothers me the the most:

Like I said, jokes and having fun seems to be not allowed anymore on this forum? I had a good mood, wanted to post something funny, and I got a warning and 3 points instead, again, that's really encouraging to participle on the forum... But at the same time, the most obvious, low-effort troll/console warring threads are growing up like mushrooms after rain pretty much every single day and nothing is being done with them when XB and PS fanboys troll and attack each other like crazy. Back in the day, the so-called "old Gaf" a mod immediately closed such threads with the "No versus threads" comment and it served so damn well for everyone, but nowadays it seem there either is way to few mods to handle the moderation, or they simply don't engage unless they don't receive appropriate reports. But whatever, it's not my site, you do as you see fit, but bottom line is, you could've just ask me for deleting the post if you thought it was inappropriate, which I would do without any issues, because I cannot guess how others (including mods) will view my posts, especially in the sensitive pre-generation launch times where apparently everyone gets offended by everything, but again, who is to blame here? I cannot take responsibility for random strangers form the internet who devoted themselves into plastic wars, nor should I be punished for them.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I literally have to scroll entire page to find one interesting link because so many people post comments unrelated to next gen discussion. People there talk about everything: headphones, TV's, post funny fish images etc. and apparently that's not derailing:rolleyes:.

Have to disagree. Within reason, building a community, and having repartee and friendship amongst the discussion can take a forum from something fun, to truly special.

As long as things remain somewhat on-topic, I don't consider that a derail.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Kind of hard to do that when you're harassed as a fanboy for being neutral, or making a joke. The best self control is to basically stop posting.

Dunno, you've been here nearly as long as I have, which isn't that long, I've yet to have a single warning and I've definitely memed and dicked on a lot of people. The line between joking and genuine fanboyism isn't as narrow as you might think.

Ascend

IDK man, I see a ton of jokes on gaming side and all over the forum actually that don't seem to be action'ed by the staff.

It seems to be the more serious shit from repeat offenders.
Do you see the post that ZyWyPL highlighted in his post as 'more serious shit' than many of all the other stuff that are posted in this forum? Honestly?
I have gone as far as to clearly say a statement is a joke every single time when something as a joke in spoiler tags. Because I don't want to deal with the hassle of warnings that make zero sense.

Dunno, you've been here nearly as long as I have, which isn't that long, I've yet to have a single warning and I've definitely memed and dicked on a lot of people. The line between joking and genuine fanboyism isn't as narrow as you might think.
Actually, it is. Post something neutral in the next gen speculation thread, like, actual speculation about Xbox that is not negative, and chances are extremely high that you're going to get a warning and/or even thread banned. Because you're going to get mass reported and everyone in there will lose their shit regarding your post. And once you get one warning, whether fairly or not, you will get watched like a hawk.

They don't really check your old warnings. If you have one already, they immediately assume you are a troublemaker and that you are not stopping your old behavior and are simply propagating the same behavior again, and so they escalate their 'moderation' on you. Barely any reviewing of what the old warnings say, minimal (if any) reviewing of the current post. You got mass reported again and you already have a warning, so, yeah, another warning it is.

How I know? Because I have been accused by mods of doing the same thing over and over, while it was the first time I posted about a certain subject. In this case it was about SonyGAF. The explanation of the warning said it's the same old repetitive SonyGAF comments. I never got any warning nor did I say anything about SonyGAF before. It doesn't matter what your first warning was for, you're immediately watched for all possible offenses, no matter how slight. Even if it is a joke. And you're accused of having done those things before even if you haven't.

My first warning was about someone falling for a "bait" I placed. But it was not a trolling bait. It was a sort of 'bait' to make a point. If I want to say that the sky is blue, and I deliberately say that the sky is red so that the one I am arguing with says that it's blue, to show that we actually agree, I didn't think that would count as trolling. So when the person agreed, I said, thanks for taking the bait. That got me a warning because someone got triggered by it, and as soon as I got that warning, the other warnings kept rolling in like clockwork, because other people were losing their shit about my opinion.

The funny thing is, before my first warning, I had no trouble posting controversial opinions at all. I might have said even more controversial things before that didn't get me in trouble. I asked assistance of Mod of War once for the first warning. He was helpful in at least undoing the thread ban. The warning still stayed in place, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. When the same things kept happening, I sent him another PM, not for 'claiming innocence' or whatever, but basically saying that there's a moderator problem in this forum, and that I can no longer take the warnings seriously, and that they should do something about it. His reply was that he would look into it. Ultimately I saw some improvement, and I did notify him of this. According to him there was supposedly no change on their end. Make of all of this what you will.

After the message of the moderation issue I sent, I simply reduced my amount of posts. I avoid petty wars and personal insults like the plague. I simply have to tolerate others calling me a coward, fanboy, and getting away with it. And when I speak out about it, all I get is backlash. So yeah. What I can say is that I am no longer posting as much to be able to make a clear judgment on the overall moderating. What I hear from other users is that things have slipped again, and, well, whatever.

Your actions being called cowardly isn't harassment my guy
Uhuh... Easy to say when you're not on the receiving end of injustice. But yeah. If I leave this conversation due to lack of comprehension from the likes of you, I'll get called a coward, and if I keep on discussing this, I will either get thread-banned from here, receive another warning, or get a perma ban. So. There is no way out. And that is the reality many of us here face. And even funnier, when you bring it up, you get bullied for it. So yeah. Call the actions cowardly however you wish. Until you are on the receiving end of this nonsense, you are in no position to judge.

I'll just end by saying that not acting like a dumbass is not cowardice. Look at what happened to Sleep Doctor. I do not intend to end up that way. I do my best to stay objective and polite as much as possible, but I will not refrain from speaking my mind, although I will do it in small bursts and with a coldness filter if you will. I have spoken out multiple times, both freely in these forums and through PMs with mods about this issue. So the accusation of 'cowardice and defeat' is just as baseless as the fanboy ones. So yeah. Take it for what you will. I for one, will now leave this 'conversation'.

Edit towards post below by ~Fake:
Considering the shortness between my post and yours (1 minute), you didn't even read my post. Someone that didn't read a post is not in a position to have an informed opinion. That is all.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm not even getting in that wall of whine, each to their own. I've heavily criticised MS/Xbox in the past, I've been called far worse than cowardly. Doesn't seem hard to avoid warnings on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom