• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The way I see it is that they're their to do a job. It's their job to photograph the event plain and simple. If they started to worry about if people can't hear them they risk fucking something up and not getting paid. It only really becomes a problem in stuff like press briefings. On top of this a lot of modern cameras aren't that loud. My 810 and XT2 are plenty quiet with their mechanical shutters. Regarding people learning the basics of photography there are a lot of people that don't want to put the time into it. It's really not that complicated, but some are just lazy and go "fuck it auto mode."

Any noise is too much noise, in my opinion. Thankfully, smartphones are going a long way to making people appreciate and demand silent photography more and more. A decade from now, I imagine mechanical shutter noise will be heavily frowned upon in public settings.

In regards to the basics of photography, it certainly doesn't help that manufacturers put so many different automated modes on their entry-level cameras. Obviously they do this to move units, but it gives people the wrong impression that they can achieve pro-level results by just shifting the camera to auto and shooting. They may get lucky sometimes, but I think it just leads to more frustration when they don't get consistently good results. Then you have the confusing terminology like f-stops, and perceived inconsistencies where lower F-stops means bigger openings and more light, while higher shutter speed numbers mean less light, and higher ISO settings mean brighter photos. It's all a bit confusing at first, but I feel like if every camera came with a very basic tutorial on all of this stuff works, people would be a lot smarter about it. Then again, maybe I'm overestimating the attention span the average entry-level DSLR buyer has.

Any noise is too much noise, in my opinion. Thankfully, smartphones are going a long way to making people appreciate and demand silent photography more and more. A decade from now, I imagine mechanical shutter noise will be heavily frowned upon in public settings.

In regards to the basics of photography, it certainly doesn't help that manufacturers put so many different automated modes on their entry-level cameras. Obviously they do this to move units, but it gives people the wrong impression that they can achieve pro-level results by just shifting the camera to auto and shooting. They may get lucky sometimes, but I think it just leads to more frustration when they don't get consistently good results. Then you have the confusing terminology like f-stops, and perceived inconsistencies where lower F-stops means bigger openings and more light, while higher shutter speed numbers mean less light, and higher ISO settings mean brighter photos. It's all a bit confusing at first, but I feel like if every camera came with a very basic tutorial on all of this stuff works, people would be a lot smarter about it. Then again, maybe I'm overestimating the attention span the average entry-level DSLR buyer has.
I really don't think an Iphone taught people anything outside of devaluing a good photograph and the art and knowledge behind it, but that's mostly my grief with the whole thing. If you want complete and utter silence then have fun scouting photographers with silent cameras because a lot of them don't exist. Even quiet mode makes some noise. If that's not enough then hire some rando with an Iphone. "It makes noise" isn't really the best complaint when it comes to cameras, cause they all do. And if it's an event with low light it's going to regardless of how good the electronic shutter is because a speedlight can't work without a mechanical shutter. It's their job, it's how they put food on the table. Sorry if I'm coming off as offensive with this one. I'm coming at it from the other side as a person that works events. You either get the shots to collect your check or you don't. Worrying over how much noise your shutter makes or trying to hobble yourself with electronic shutter (especially the earlier versions) doesn't always cut it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think an Iphone taught people anything outside of devaluing a good photograph and the art and knowledge behind it, but that's mostly my grief with the whole thing. If you want complete and utter silence then have fun scouting photographers with silent cameras because a lot of them don't exist. Even quiet mode makes some noise. If that's not enough then hire some rando with an Iphone. "It makes noise" isn't really the best complaint when it comes to cameras, cause they all do. And if it's an event with low light it's going to regardless of how good the electronic shutter is because a speedlight can't work without a mechanical shutter. It's their job, it's how they put food on the table. Sorry if I'm coming off as offensive with this one. I'm coming at it from the other side as a person that works events. You either get the shots to collect your check or you don't. Worrying over how much noise your shutter makes or trying to hobble yourself with electronic shutter (especially the earlier versions) doesn't always cut it.

Not offensive at all. What you're saying makes sense, but I think that we can all agree that, all things being equal, no noise is better than noise.

I'm pretty confident that mirrorless and electronic shutters are going to improve to the point that all higher end models will be able to shot high frame rates completely silently. Obviously that changes when you're dealing with off-camera flash, but those situations will generally require some amount of posing and coordination with the subject, so the noise is less of an issue than when you're getting in-the-moment candid shots. Being able to sort of fade into the background is something that any event photographer would aspire to, I imagine.

Not offensive at all. What you're saying makes sense, but I think that we can all agree that, all things being equal, no noise is better than noise.

I'm pretty confident that mirrorless and electronic shutters are going to improve to the point that all higher end models will be able to shot high frame rates completely silently. Obviously that changes when you're dealing with off-camera flash, but those situations will generally require some amount of posing and coordination with the subject, so the noise is less of an issue than when you're getting in-the-moment candid shots. Being able to sort of fade into the background is something that any event photographer would aspire to, I imagine.
Stuff with flash is only staged depending on what it is, like a group shot yeah sure it's staged. It's still possible to get candid shots with a flash. It's a nature of the beast thing. If you walk into an event only thinking you need flash solely for staged shots you're doing it wrong.

Keio

For a Finer World
Advice needed, I've been lurking the thread a bit but I'm just unable to make my mind.

I had a Canon 5Dmk2 which is sold along with its 24-105/4L lens that I used 90% of the time until about 2 years ago.

Now I realize I miss photography although I've enjoyed shooting a lot just on my iPhone.

However: I don't want to lug around a camera the size of a 5Dmk2 with that lens.

I've looked at Leica Q, considered a Sony A9, pondered a Ricoh GR2 and almost bought a Leica TL. Maybe a Sony A7R2? I'd like something slightly distinctive.

Add to this my huge fear: what if Sony has a new model just coming? Or a killer new point and shoot emerges?

I shoot everything. My 4 year old daughter, street portraits, landscapes, action; anything goes. Mainly to document stuff for myself, I'd love to start putting prints on the walls.

Any advice, heroes & heroines? Thanks!

sneaky77

Sony has new models comng out every other month it seems sometimes, so you can't worry about that. Pick one that does what you need/want it to do and jump in. Technology will always advance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Advice needed, I've been lurking the thread a bit but I'm just unable to make my mind.

I had a Canon 5Dmk2 which is sold along with its 24-105/4L lens that I used 90% of the time until about 2 years ago.

Now I realize I miss photography although I've enjoyed shooting a lot just on my iPhone.

However: I don't want to lug around a camera the size of a 5Dmk2 with that lens.

I've looked at Leica Q, considered a Sony A9, pondered a Ricoh GR2 and almost bought a Leica TL. Maybe a Sony A7R2? I'd like something slightly distinctive.

Add to this my huge fear: what if Sony has a new model just coming? Or a killer new point and shoot emerges?

I shoot everything. My 4 year old daughter, street portraits, landscapes, action; anything goes. Mainly to document stuff for myself, I'd love to start putting prints on the walls.

Any advice, heroes & heroines? Thanks!

What's your budget, and do you need full frame?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ideally I'd spend 2000-3000 max, but I'd rather buy great than decent. Full frame would be nice, but smallish form factor more important.

In that case, a mirrorless crop sensor camera is good since small form factor is most important. In my opinion, the Fuji X-T2 has the best combination of quality, performance, lens selection, and customer service support. You could also look at Sony's crop sensor cameras, and they would also be a fine choice, but I think Fuji is better, all things considered.

You also mentioned killer point and shoots. The only point and shoot that I'd consider buying is the Fuji x100f because it has great quality and it has a function that almost no other pro camera has - a leaf shutter. This will allow you to sync flash at high shutter speeds without loss in power.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ideally I'd spend 2000-3000 max, but I'd rather buy great than decent. Full frame would be nice, but smallish form factor more important.

Absolutely get the Fuji X-T2 or the Sony A6500 and a good prime lens in addition to the kit zoom. Both are great cameras that probably won't see refreshes for a year or more and will be able to readily handle any situation you can throw at them.

I would probably lean toward the X-T2, although there are certain advantages to the A6500.

Here's a good comparison between the two. Ideally, you should try them both out and see what you like.

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/sony-vs-fujifilm/a6500-vs-xt2/

I always say get the XT2. I recently got it and love it. Just make sure to get some good glass. The kit zoom isn't too bad and they have really good primes.

Fuji X-T2. An that's from a guy that owns multiple Sony cameras. However, if you can afford it, the a7rii is fantastic.

But you could also wait for the a7iii and see if that has features you want.

Basically X-T2 if you want a great camera now. Or Sony since you value a smaller form factor.

RuGalz

Finally got a chance to take my Ricoh GR on a vacation to some busy cities.

Snap focus is so much fun. Still getting used to judging the distance though, I have to move between 1.5 and 2 meters often at the distances I work at usually.

I wish they had made GRII weather sealed. Snap focus just makes sense on the street. I'd opt for that instead of my current Fuji.

Man I've been saving to get a Nikon d500 for a while now, but all of sudden this week I 've been feeling like getting the d7500 and call it a day. Bad Idea?
Get a refurbished D500. Period. D7500 is half of the tech for a little bit less money. You don't even get the advanced AF system. Like you get it but with less AF points.

Many thanks!!!!!!

I am having a dilemma. After my new PC workstation is built, I am buying my next camera and heavily conflicted. I'm trapped between the Pentax K1, the rumored Sony A7III and the Panasonic GH5.

I have a lot of interest in 4K film, but I also enjoy photography. My issue is that as much as I want the GH5, it's micro 4/3rds. I want the Sony A7 series for full frame, but their overheating issues seem like a bitch. The Pentax is attractive for price and 36.4MP, but more than likely a terrible video section. What is a well-balanced camera for indie film work and quality photography (If there is one out of those choices)? My budget is $2,000 or under.

What made you interested in the 7500 in the first place?

Cheaper and I was leaning towards DSLR because (again) thought lenses would be cheaper if I buy used ones from craigslist.

But I'm not even sure I want the d500 that much. I don't have a camera right now. And I want something that takes better photos than my previous camera (Lumix G7, so almost everything). But I also want something that was also better than the g7 in video. I 've been going back and forth between the xt2, xt20, d500, g85, a6500 and gh5 for months now. And I kid you not,the closest I ever got to making the call was with a Blackmagic production camera for $2400 off of craigslist this week. That may tell you that video it is really the main reason here, but I would love to have something to take photos since I just feel like a phony not having anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember reading/hearing something that Ricoh was considering pulling out of consumer-focused products.

Many thanks!!!!!!

I am having a dilemma. After my new PC workstation is built, I am buying my next camera and heavily conflicted. I'm trapped between the Pentax K1, the rumored Sony A7III and the Panasonic GH5.

I have a lot of interest in 4K film, but I also enjoy photography. My issue is that as much as I want the GH5, it's micro 4/3rds. I want the Sony A7 series for full frame, but their overheating issues seem like a bitch. The Pentax is attractive for price and 36.4MP, but more than likely a terrible video section. What is a well-balanced camera for indie film work and quality photography (If there is one out of those choices)? My budget is $2,000 or under.

If video is your primary focus, then get the GH5. If stills are your primary focus and you really want full frame, then go for a Sony. I think the overheating issues are overblown unless you're constantly doing 4K recording in hot environments.

RuGalz

I don't think they're long for this world. There's very little reason to buy their stuff.

People's been saying that for a couple decades about Penrax. Ricoh is having crisis in printing business but imaging, while small, is profitable. I'd argue Nikon has potentially bigger financial problems since their business focus is narrower.

Cheaper and I was leaning towards DSLR because (again) thought lenses would be cheaper if I buy used ones from craigslist.

But I'm not even sure I want the d500 that much. I don't have a camera right now. And I want something that takes better photos than my previous camera (Lumix G7, so almost everything). But I also want something that was also better than the g7 in video. I 've been going back and forth between the xt2, xt20, d500, g85, a6500 and gh5 for months now. And I kid you not,the closest I ever got to making the call was with a Blackmagic production camera for $2400 off of craigslist this week. That may tell you that video it is really the main reason here, but I would love to have something to take photos since I just feel like a phony not having anything.
You should probably just get a GH5 then. It does 4K and it's well regarded. Probably has the best 4K bit rate out of your options as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
People's been saying that for a couple decades about Penrax. Ricoh is having crisis in printing business but imaging, while small, is profitable. I'd argue Nikon has potentially bigger financial problems since all they have is photography.

Pentax/Ricoh being able to hold on to dear life still doesn't mean I'd recommend their gear over other, better alternatives, though. Good gear is good gear.

Nikon actually has other stuff besides photography, too.

You should probably just get a GH5 then. It does 4K and it's well regarded. Probably has the best 4K bit rate out of your options as well.

Yeah it is what makes the most sense to me, gh5 and a speedbooster. But now that I learned about it, since you guys were discussing it; I think I may at least wait and see for this a7III, just out of curiosity. All i need to see is if the rolling shutter is like jello on a summer day or not, that's the main reason I don't have a a6500 right now.

RoKKeR

Can't believe it took so long for the 6D Mii to he announced, but at least it is finally here.

Next camera is either going to he that it some Sony full frame mirrorless.

Yeah it is what makes the most sense to me, gh5 and a speedbooster. But now that I learned about it, since you guys were discussing it; I think I may at least wait and see for this a7III, just out of curiosity.
Yes, if they ever fix their over heating problem. Which is over blown if you shoot something once a month. Becomes a pain in the ass if you're putting that thing to fucking work. I think the Northorp's mentioned that in their GH5 review. Bigger battery in the GH5 as well.
Can't believe it took so long for the 6D Mii to he announced, but at least it is finally here.

And the 6Dmkii doesn't even beat out several cameras from 2014.

Chumley

Banned

It doesn't shoot 4k. Canon has given up on the video market unless you want to spend $10k.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How are photos on the GH5? Are they excellent, or subpar?

Pretty damn good from what I can tell. Head over to Flickr and search for the GH5 to see some examples. Certainly better than a 1 inch sensor or photos from a smartphone, for example.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So no one should buy Nikon because they are losing money constantly and there's even talks that Japanese government is hoping Fuji will invest in them to prevent Nikon being bought off by non-Japanese company.

Um, what? I think you're missing my point.

Pretty damn good from what I can tell. Head over to Flickr and search for the GH5 to see some examples. Certainly better than a 1 inch sensor or photos from a smartphone, for example.

Looking at some now. All in all, I want the GH5 more than anything for indie film work, but for some stupid reason, I keep getting slightly turned off by micro 4/3rds. I think I'm crazy.

RoKKeR

Yes, if they ever fix their over heating problem. Which is over blown if you shoot something once a month. Becomes a pain in the ass if you're putting that thing to fucking work. I think the Northorp's mentioned that in their GH5 review. Bigger battery in the GH5 as well.

And the 6Dmkii doesn't even beat out several cameras from 2014.
Yeah, after checking the specs + A7III rumors it's looking like I might be jumping ship to Sony. What's the word on EF converters these days? I'm a bit of a Sigma fanboy and saw that they are making one, seems to work for both their lenses plus Canon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For video, I'm pretty sure it's far and away the best camera on the market right now. Doesn't hurt that it's no slouch in stills, too.

I kind of know what you mean about micro 4/3rds format, though. I really don't know much about it, but going smaller than APS-C doesn't sit well with me, either.

Then again, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYidejT3KY

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking at some now. All in all, I want the GH5 more than anything for indie film work, but for some stupid reason, I keep getting slightly turned off by micro 4/3rds. I think I'm crazy.

If the quality's good, the quality's good. Unless you absolutely need as wide a field of view as possible, or shallow depth of field, the GH5 is good for video.

I think it's starting to get a lot better. Micro 4/3rds doesn't make that much of a difference for video work from what I've heard, it's main weakness is dynamic range and how it deals with high iso level at low light, which I think is effected more for photography work.

Not a completely crazy idea, if you are 100% video, used blackmagic 4k production cameras in ebay are actually not that far in price from the gh5, and no video-photography hybrid camera is touching a full on video camera like this. Batteries are a bitch tough, you'll really want to get some of those V mount brick-size ones because the internal battery is not recommended.

As for 4/3rds I think smaller sensor is one of the things that help the the GH5 step above the competitors. sounds counter intuitive, but it helps the IBIS and it helps against rolling shutter ("less can be read faster"). So while you wont have as good a low light performance compared to Sony, it has a more stable picture. Depends on the types of shots you have planned, I think a video camera for an indie filmmaker should allow him/her to shoot guerrilla style.

edit: that said in terms of bang for your buck, nothing beats renting. That way you get a Red Scarlet or a Canon c300, plus all the equipment you wont be able to afford if you buy a camera that shoots professional video and are not filthy rich (then again, if you are rich you rent an ARRI Alexa!)

Thanks to the amazing input of everyone here, I have happily decided to purchase the GH5. That anamorphic 6K, cheaper lenses and swivel screen definitely got me. The photography side is actually pretty damn good, too.

How does one obtain excellent bokeh on micro 4/3rds? Is it just increasing the length of the lens for telephoto and shortening the distance between the subject & I?

Thanks to the amazing input of everyone here, I have happily decided to purchase the GH5. That anamorphic 6K, cheaper lenses and swivel screen definitely got me. The photography side is actually pretty damn good, too.

How does one obtain excellent bokeh on micro 4/3rds? Is it just increasing the length of the lens for telephoto and shortening the distance between the subject & I?
Bokeh is all about aperture, focal length and distance from subject and subject distance from background if I'm not mistaken. Sensor size also seems to come into play as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, and opening up the aperture to the lowest number it will go, as JadedWriter mentioned. Telephoto until you can no longer use your most open aperture, then get close to the subject.

The sensor size also comes into play. Apparently, f2.8 on a micro 4/3rds camera will produce the same kind of depth of field as f/5.6 on a full frame sensor, for example.

Here's a good webpage on the topic:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm