• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

I have an A6000 with the kit lens and I'm considering buying the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Contemporary (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234027-REG/sigma_302965_30mm_f_1_4_dc_dn.html). It's about $330 or 340 normally.

Only thing stopping me is I don't plan on staying in the E mount (APS-C) system long term, so I don't think I would buy another crop Sony lens. Which makes me pause on buying any lens for it...... but the kit lens is really not great.

What do GAF?

I have an A6000 with the kit lens and I'm considering buying the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Contemporary (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234027-REG/sigma_302965_30mm_f_1_4_dc_dn.html). It's about $330 or 340 normally.

Only thing stopping me is I don't plan on staying in the E mount (APS-C) system long term, so I don't think I would buy another crop Sony lens. Which makes me pause on buying any lens for it...... but the kit lens is really not great.

What do GAF?

Buy used then sell for like 90% of the purchase price

I'd honestly get the G85 because of the IBIS and 4K recording and it probably records in a better codec and higher bit rate than Canon's budget camera, but do what you want to do. Just to clarify this isn't me being a dick or anything. I just don't think a person should buy Canon's budget DSLR for video just because it comes with a free rode mic. Especially when there are much better camera's specifically for video. Also it doesn't kill you to use something you're not inherently used to. I have shot Canon, Nikon and Fuji and outside Canon ergonomics being a bit weird to me I can go to and from systems pretty well.

Yeah, I'm all very well aware of that. Part of the reason for going with the T6i is also because my surrogate grandfather is purchasing the camera for me as a graduation present and I don't want to make him pay for anything too pricey. Realistically, it's probably between the T6i and the G7 for me more than anything. If possible though, I'd be all for getting a G85.

The reason the mic is such a big deal to me though is that I'm about to move over to Okinawa, Japan and don't really know anyone there that I'll be able to collaborate with on my narrative filmmaking right off the bat. In other words, I'll almost definitely have to handle the bulk of my films' audio solo for the foreseeable future.

With that in mind, I would much prefer having a relatively good shotgun mic as my source of audio than a built-in camera mic, even if that means sacrificing image quality. Honestly, even though I'm aiming to be a director, I ended up taking more courses at my film school on sound recording and sound design than I ever did on lighting and cinematography- so making sure that my films have good sound is a big deal for me.

Then again, the Rode mic is about $85, so I could potentially just get the G7 and buy the Rode separately.

I have to second JadedWriter's thought on the G85 for IBIS and 4K. Would also think about the a6500 or 80D for auto focus if it is not narrative films what you will be shooting, but documentaries.

As a no budget filmmaker, a stable picture will be the hardest thing to improvise without expensive equipment. Having the ability to do shoulder mount shooting and have a more stable picture is pretty convenient.

I'm primarily a narrative filmmaker, but I also like to do experimental short films and those are probably what I'm going to start off making and submitting to film festivals from the get-go while I save up money for more gear and try to find potential actors and crew members in my new home.

EDIT: Just checked Amazon again and noticed that the Panasonic G7 is now selling at a considerably lower price than it was when I was looking at it a week or two ago!!! Yup, I think it's settled. I'm getting the G7.

Yeah, I'm all very well aware of that. Part of the reason for going with the T6i is also because my surrogate grandfather is purchasing the camera for me as a graduation present and I don't want to make him pay for anything too pricey. Realistically, it's probably between the T6i and the G7 for me more than anything. If possible though, I'd be all for getting a G85.

The reason the mic is such a big deal to me though is that I'm about to move over to Okinawa, Japan and don't really know anyone there that I'll be able to collaborate with on my narrative filmmaking right off the bat. In other words, I'll almost definitely have to handle the bulk of my films' audio solo for the foreseeable future.

With that in mind, I would much prefer having a relatively good shotgun mic as my source of audio than a built-in camera mic, even if that means sacrificing image quality. Honestly, even though I'm aiming to be a director, I ended up taking more courses at my film school on sound recording and sound design than I ever did on lighting and cinematography- so making sure that my films have good sound is a big deal for me.

Then again, the Rode mic is about $85, so I could potentially just get the G7 and buy the Rode separately.

I'm primarily a narrative filmmaker, but I also like to do experimental short films and those are probably what I'm going to start off making and submitting to film festivals from the get-go while I save up money for more gear and try to find potential actors and crew members in my new home.

EDIT: Just checked Amazon again and noticed that the Panasonic G7 is now selling at a considerably lower price than it was when I was looking at it a week or two ago!!! Yup, I think it's settled. I'm getting the G7.
Good call. You could also check Ebay for G85's they're not too hard to find their either. For video, pretty much the buck starts and stop at Panasonic. It's very easy to see Lumix gear in any videographer's kit. Just make sure the camera has a headphone jack so you can monitor audio.

Good call. You could also check Ebay for G85's they're not too hard to find their either. For video, pretty much the buck starts and stop at Panasonic. It's very easy to see Lumix gear in any videographer's kit. Just make sure the camera has a headphone jack so you can monitor audio.

Hmm... the G85 on eBay might be doable, but I'm not sure. If I can get that model, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat.

I'm planning on getting some vintage lenses on eBay soon too. Looking at some of the old Soviet lenses (i.e. Jupiter-3, Jupiter 11, Helios 44-2 and Mir 1-B). I'll probably just get one or two of those lenses at first and then pick more up later after I've moved to Okinawa. Of course, I'll probably need to buy one or two adapters for the lenses too.

I'm stoked to start shooting some films in my new neighborhood. Here's a video of the general district where I'll be living in.

I'm gonna have fun shooting here.

Hmm... the G85 on eBay might be doable, but I'm not sure. If I can get that model, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat.

I'm planning on getting some vintage lenses on eBay soon too. Looking at some of the old Soviet lenses (i.e. Jupiter-3, Jupiter 11, Helios 44-2 and Mir 1-B). I'll probably just get one or two of those lenses at first and then pick more up later after I've moved to Okinawa. Of course, I'll probably need to buy one or two adapters for the lenses too.

I'm stoked to start shooting some films in my new neighborhood. Here's a video of the general district where I'll be living in.

I'm gonna have fun shooting here.
Just do what I do and PayPal Credit it. Give you about 6 months to pay it off depending on what plan it gives you. Though if it's that impossible then just go with the G7.

Just do what I do and PayPal Credit it. Give you about 6 months to pay it off depending on what plan it gives you. Though if it's that impossible then just go with the G7.

Like I said before, the issue is more that my surrogate grandfather is paying for the camera, not me. I'll look into that suggestion though!

Vamphuntr

Sorry to butt in camera GAF but I have a small question for you.

I really want to start taking pictures as an amateur. I've checked the links in the OP and the books listed. For a starter camera what would you think is the best between a Canon EOS Rebel T6 or a Nikon D3400? Both are on sale in my region right now.

Sorry to butt in camera GAF but I have a small question for you.

I really want to start taking pictures as an amateur. I've checked the links in the OP and the books listed. For a starter camera what would you think is the best between a Canon EOS Rebel T6 or a Nikon D3400? Both are on sale in my region right now.
Really depends. If you can find a Nikon D5300 used I'd pick that over the 3400, I'd honestly look for a refurb/used 7100 because I can't stand the econo camera ergonomics but that's honestly just me. Are those the only two cameras on sale or do you have more options? No Fuji XT1 sales?

Vamphuntr

Really depends. If you can find a Nikon D5300 used I'd pick that over the 3400, I'd honestly look for a refurb/used 7100 because I can't stand the econo camera ergonomics but that's honestly just me. Are those the only two cameras on sale or do you have more options? No Fuji XT1 sales?

I'm in the great white north and with our crappy dollar the XT1 is like 1000-1200$ right now. That's a bit pricey. The two others are like 500-600$ which seems more acceptable for an entry level camera for me. Are there any good known place for used stuff or it's the usual kijiji stuff.

I'm in the great white north and with our crappy dollar the XT1 is like 1000-1200$ right now. That's a bit pricey. The two others are like 500-600$ which seems more acceptable for an entry level camera for me. Are there any good known place for used stuff or it's the usual kijiji stuff.
You can find people ditching their XT1's for below $600 on Ebay. The main problem is finding a lens though since that's usually body only. You have some kit lens options though. At some point it's imperative to get one of their primes. The 2.8-F4 lens doesn't seem to do the business till you stop it down to 5.6 half the time. You can also look for XT10's. You have options, probably also find a Panasonic G7. If you're not really tied down to a specific brand and only have the money for an entry DSLR you might want to look for older, but still pretty good mirrorless cameras.

Vamphuntr

You can find people ditching their XT1's for below $600 on Ebay. The main problem is finding a lens though since that's usually body only. You have some kit lens options though. At some point it's imperative to get one of their primes. The 2.8-F4 lens doesn't seem to do the business till you stop it down to 5.6 half the time. You can also look for XT10's. You have options, probably also find a Panasonic G7. If you're not really tied down to a specific brand and only have the money for an entry DSLR you might want to look for older, but still pretty good mirrorless cameras.

Nice. Thanks for the advice.

Nice. Thanks for the advice.
I remember how it feels to be searching for your first camera, it's...dense since there's a lot out there. I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't buy myself. There's a specific set of reasons why I didn't buy the XT10/20 and opted for an XT2, but they're reasons that not everybody cares about. Mainly buttons and size. Either way they're great cameras.

The thing is, X-T1 is not entry, it's flagship high end. Great viewfinder, construction, ergonomics... (those dials)
You'd rather have a higher end, older camera, than a low end new camera.
The high end one was the coolest shit for pros and enthusiasts not long ago, the low end camera was conceived as a compromise from the very beginning.

That's my way of thinking IMO, and I'm happy with my 7D I paid 400€ for. Would not trade it for an a6000. An X-T1 maybe.

The thing is, X-T1 is not entry, it's flagship high end. Great viewfinder, construction, ergonomics... (those dials)
You'd rather have a higher end, older camera, than a low end new camera.
The high end one was the coolest shit for pros and enthusiasts not long ago, the low end camera was conceived as a compromise from the very beginning.

That's my way of thinking IMO, and I'm happy with my 7D I paid 400€ for. Would not trade it for an a6000. An X-T1 maybe.
Yeah the construction on the XT-1 would out last the T6 by several years, plus just feel better in the hand. I don't touch entry level, it's just...so...cheap.

I love the feeling of getting a new lens. What do you shoot?

Mostly wildlife at the moment, but I wanted a fast normal lens with autofocus for general walking around. I currently have some canon fd lenses that I use for low light, but they don't have autofocus (of course). Then I have the kit lens which is versatile but slow and not sharp.

Also, I have a kid on the way so I wanted a good lens for that :).

Mostly wildlife at the moment, but I wanted a fast normal lens with autofocus for general walking around. I currently have some canon fd lenses that I use for low light, but they don't have autofocus (of course). Then I have the kit lens which is versatile but slow and not sharp.

Also, I have a kid on the way so I wanted a good lens for that :).
Congrats on the kid. 35mm is a pretty versatile focal length for the most part.

caramac

Vamphuntr

YES!!! I'm using that same 35mm F2 that you're getting for free, that lens is ace for portraits and street photography.
Here are some samples from over the weekend:

Nice pictures! Ordered what I linked. On top of the free 35 mm lens it came with a carrying bag, sd card and extra battery. Really good deal for the price.

Nice pictures! Ordered what I linked. On top of the free 35 mm lens it came with a carrying bag, sd card and extra battery. Really good deal for the price.
What kind of case? I'm a lowepro person. I keep my XT2 in a lowepro sh180. Also enjoy the camera and thanks for liking the pics. Luckily I edit these things a lot better than I did when I first got the camera. RAF files require some effort.

Final decision was made- I'm getting the Panasonic G7.

The G85 and its improved design and added features would be a bit nicer, but aside from buying one used on eBay, my folks and I haven't found one that's in our general price range. More importantly, there's no option in that price range that also includes a warranty on it, as far as we could tell. So I'm getting a brand new G7 with a two year warranty on it.

All in all, I'm pretty damn happy with the choice! The G7 seems like a stellar camera and definitely a better choice overall than the T6i I was originally considering.

As an aside, I'll probably be looking into getting a Speedbooster of some sort in a few months, once I'm settled down over in Okinawa and can afford to get one. Anyone have suggestions for which one(s) to look at there?

Final decision was made- I'm getting the Panasonic G7.

The G85 and its improved design and added features would be a bit nicer, but aside from buying one used on eBay, my folks and I haven't found one that's in our general price range. More importantly, there's no option in that price range that also includes a warranty on it, as far as we could tell. So I'm getting a brand new G7 with a two year warranty on it.

All in all, I'm pretty damn happy with the choice! The G7 seems like a stellar camera and definitely a better choice overall than the T6i I was originally considering.

As an aside, I'll probably be looking into getting a Speedbooster of some sort in a few months, once I'm settled down over in Okinawa and can afford to get one. Anyone have suggestions for which one(s) to look at there?
Congrats. The G7 should serve you well, it's pretty much one of my go to recommendations, it's a lot of camera at quite the affordable price these days. I almost got a G85 over the XT2 I currently have because of the ergonomics and feature set...then I just eventually got accustomed to the Fuji. Japan has a pretty heavy photography culture so it should be interesting over there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
$1500!? Yeesh I'm glad I like manual.

Also, not sure what tilt shift would do for macro. Can anyone enlighten me?

I always thought tilt shift was more for architectural photography, so these being TS macro lenses and at portrait focal lengths is weird to me as well.

If you're taking a macro picture of something flat on a table, say a coin or a bracelet or whatever, and you're taking it at a diagonal angle (in other words, your camera lens is not perpendicular to the subject), you will only ever get a sliver of the whole thing in focus even if you're shooting at f32.

Now, you could use focus stacking to eliminate this problem.

Or, you could use a tilt shift lens to adjust the plane of focus so that it is parallel to the surface of your subject, and take a photo with the entire subject in focus, in one shot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
$1500!? Yeesh I'm glad I like manual.

Also, not sure what tilt shift would do for macro. Can anyone enlighten me?

I always thought tilt shift was more for architectural photography, so these being TS macro lenses and at portrait focal lengths is weird to me as well.

One more thing -

Here is a promotional video by Canon that shows off the capabilities of their tilt shift lenses. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X2rUtgJS0k

If you're taking a macro picture of something flat on a table, say a coin or a bracelet or whatever, and you're taking it at a diagonal angle (in other words, your camera lens is not perpendicular to the subject), you will only ever get a sliver of the whole thing in focus even if you're shooting at f32.

Now, you could use focus stacking to eliminate this problem.

Or, you could use a tilt shift lens to adjust the plane of focus so that it is parallel to the surface of your subject, and take a photo with the entire subject in focus, in one shot.

We use a bellows set to do that. Sometimes you'll use some shift as well as tilt to adjust the perspective, since at macro distances it's often easier to do so (just like moving the camera on rails to adjust focus).

Adjusting bellows is a pain in the ass, though. Glad I'm not the one to do that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We use a bellows set to do that. Sometimes you'll use some shift as well as tilt to adjust the perspective, since at macro distances it's often easier to do so (just like moving the camera on rails to adjust focus).

Adjusting bellows is a pain in the ass, though. Glad I'm not the one to do that.

What system are you using? An old view camera setup, or something more modern like a Cambo product?

What system are you using? An old view camera setup, or something more modern like a Cambo product?

It's a Cambo system, Actus-XL-something, if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty flexible, we have bayonets for Nikon and Canon cameras and lensplates for a bunch of stuff, but we mostly use it with some 'blad medium format glass.

That said, I'm not the photographer, I'm just the one telling him what to do :D

RuGalz

Gotta love Adorama pricing an used item higher than a brand new one. LOL

On top of that the same used item is sold cheaper on Amazon from them...

Hey CameraGAF...

I'm really stuck on deciding where to go gear wise. I work in the video world AND love still photography and there seems to be no real middle ground. I currently own a Panasonic ag-DVX 200a for my general video production which is fantastic because as a tool that has pro-capability with a real camera body and XLR inputs, it's great. Even though it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, the equipped Zeiss glass is gorgeous, wide, and long. It's not the most cinematic camera, but for news production/eng/internet journalism, it has served me very well. Plus it the best I can/could afford. Problem is, I've owned it for a year and and it hasn't made me much money. I used it with my old job as a producer because i loved using my gear and wanted to justify the purchase. So there's that.

Problem #2 - Still Photography. I have a Canon 6D, 70-200mm lens, nifty 50, and a shitty 85 1.8 off brand. A couple of speed lights and the godox 200 outdoor strobe. This kit with some modifiers puts out good stuff. I also own an old Pentax 6x7 MF film camera. I love my cameras, and i LOVE medium format but film is a pain in the ass.

So my friend had me pick up a local Pentax 645z for him off Craigslist.

Good lord. What a ridiculously incredible camera.

I literally want to sell off all my stuff just to have this kit.

Problem is, I need a working video solution as well. Debated on somehow getting an A7sII for low light and event work, but i hate that body and I'd have to frankenstein it out just to make it professionally functional. I hate that.

So I'm really torn on what to do.

I would sell everything - my film gear, my video gear, my still gear - just to get a good used Pentax 645z system which starts about 3800.00. I was even looking at my PS4 Pro and getting rid of that just so I can have a solid production ready pro-level gear set.

But there's no best of both worlds and I really don't have any cash. What should I be saving up for? I had so much fun with that camera this weekend! I sept up some lights in my apartment for a quick studio shoot and loved the pics as well as some outdoor stuff. I'm in love with photography again!

RuGalz

I would sell everything - my film gear, my video gear, my still gear - just to get a good used Pentax 645z system which starts about 3800.00. I was even looking at my PS4 Pro and getting rid of that just so I can have a solid production ready pro-level gear set.

Damn, I'd be so tempted; I haven't seen it that low. But I'm not a video person so different priorities.