• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Beats me, I don't look at Sigma lenses that much. I was just doing research on the 18-35 a while back and decided against it.
Lol. I look more at Tamron these days personally. I think pretty much I'm second hand Nikon, Tamron and Fuji in terms of lens preferences.

I'm glad to hear Nikon is stepping up their game. This gives me hopes the a7iii will come priced very competitively. Also a huge blow to Canon who continues to slack. Neither the 5Dm4 or the 6Dm2 were what people were hoping for. If I wasn't invested in Sony I would seriously consider the D850.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm glad to hear Nikon is stepping up their game. This gives me hopes the a7iii will come priced very competitively. Also a huge blow to Canon who continues to slack. Neither the 5Dm4 or the 6Dm2 were what people were hoping for. If I wasn't invested in Sony I would seriously consider the D850.

not sure what you mean, the D800 was arguably the best DSLR you could buy when it came out, the D500 is arguably the best crop camera you can buy at the moment.

unfortunately their sales are crap. So they are clearly doing something wrong.

not sure what you mean, the D800 was arguably the best DSLR you could buy when it came out, the D500 is arguably the best crop camera you can buy at the moment.

unfortunately their sales are crap. So they are clearly doing something wrong.
Eh...I blame it on marketing. Canon's aren't as good sensor wise, but people still buy the fuck out of them. And no Brerwolfe this isn't me shit talking them, I have heard from a lot of people that said they prefer the Nikon stuff, even my last model said this. Even while doing corporate headshots one of the people I shot said Nikon is better. I'd buy a Canon...just as like my fifth camera or some shit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eh...I blame it on marketing. Canon's aren't as good sensor wise, but people still buy the fuck out of them. And no Brerwolfe this isn't me shit talking them, I have heard from a lot of people that said they prefer the Nikon stuff, even my last model said this. Even while doing corporate headshots one of the people I shot said Nikon is better. I'd buy a Canon...just as like my fifth camera or some shit.

Were they photographers too? I tend not to put too much stock in the opinions of people on the client/consumer side of things. Anecdotally speaking, the issues that they have with a particular brand are more a factor of the photographer who was using that brand rather than the brand itself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
9fps? That's absurd. The processing on this thing has to be insane.

No compact flash is disappointing. But other than that looks great.

Poor A99 Mark II. No one cared about the thing despite the fact that it could do 12 fps at 42MP.

It had plenty of other faults, of course, but I feel like it got zero attention.

Were they photographers too? I tend not to put too much stock in the opinions of people on the client/consumer side of things. Anecdotally speaking, the issues that they have with a particular brand are more a factor of the photographer who was using that brand rather than the brand itself.
No they aren't, but they're still people with money so technically they're potential clientele for somebody.
Poor A99 Mark II. No one cared about the thing despite the fact that it could do 12 fps at 42MP.

It had plenty of other faults, of course, but I feel like it got zero attention.
It's a good camera based around a dying mount. Sony should have paid more attention to that market to be honest. They seemingly dropped A mount hard when they started doing E mount stuff and couldn't care enough to cater to both markets. It would be like if Nikon or Canon made a mirrorless camera and afterwards opted to not update their DSLR's for about 9 years. This is a scenario I can't see happening.

Nikon finally adopts an AF joystick. And illuminated backside controls is fantastic.

I would switch from Canon if I wasn't already so embedded. Not just lens collection. My workplace also uses Canon so it wouldn't be easy to switch. Let's drop that 5D4 price now, please.

How much are we expecting the D810 to drop in price?

Nikon's had AF joysticks for years

Is there a relatively entry-level Nikon that takes great video? I was looking at the Canon T6i as an option but I see a lot of folks voicing support for Nikon stuff on here. Would like to know which one works better for video before I put all the money into lenses & equipment for one brand.

I'm new to the world of taking video with DSLRs; mainly used camcorders in the past which are obviously getting more and more unnecessary these days. Would love a few pointers on what to invest in! I want to eventually get a photography & video business off the ground.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No they aren't, but they're still people with money so technically they're potential clientele for somebody.
My point though is that clients oftentimes don't know what they're talking about. If they think a certain brand sucks, it's probably because the person using it sucks.

In other words, the quality of the final product is more a factor of the skill rather than the brand used.

Is there a relatively entry-level Nikon that takes great video? I was looking at the Canon T6i as an option but I see a lot of folks voicing support for Nikon stuff on here. Would like to know which one works better for video before I put all the money into lenses & equipment for one brand.

I'm new to the world of taking video with DSLRs; mainly used camcorders in the past which are obviously getting more and more unnecessary these days. Would love a few pointers on what to invest in! I want to eventually get a photography & video business off the ground.
Get a Panasonic G85. That's what you do.
My point though is that clients oftentimes don't know what they're talking about. If they think a certain brand sucks, it's probably because the person using it sucks.

In other words, the quality of the final product is more a factor of the skill rather than the brand used.
True. I have used Canon's, Nikon's and Fuji's and have been able to get good images out of all three. It's all based around the skill of the photographer. There is some body specific stuff I prefer but I think I'm good enough at this point to get a god picture out of any digital camera. Granted I prefer constant aperture lenses at this point.

Get a Panasonic G85. That's what you do.

Looks incredibly good and I would love to get one of those eventually, but it's a little expensive for my budget (at least for a first camera). Are there any decent alternatives in the $500-650 range (talking body-only for that price)? Or is the G85 that good to warrant saving up a little extra?

Looks incredibly good and I would love to get one of those eventually, but it's a little expensive for my budget (at least for a first camera). Are there any decent alternatives in the $500-650 range (talking body-only for that price)? Or is the G85 that good to warrant saving up a little extra?
It has IBIS and that's pretty important for video work, not to mention 4K, which you don't get on budget Nikon's. You could also get a G7, but that lacks IBIS. If you want to do mainly video work than the Panasonic's are pretty much geared towards that, while the other stuff just do it on the side.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks like there's a lot of positive hype for the D850. On second look, the focus peaking is actually a feature that might make me consider buying this. I wish they'd just implement that feature on the D800 with a firmware update, but that would be too much to expect from them.

Looks like there's a lot of positive hype for the D850. On second look, the focus peaking is actually a feature that might make me consider buying this. I wish they'd just implement that feature on the D800 with a firmware update, but that would be too much to expect from them.
That would be a camera I'd get over a D5, period.

The D850? Or a D800 with focus peaking firmware upgrade?

(I'd get both over a D5, to be honest lol)

It's not like I'm shooting warzone pictures in Afghanistan or anything. Or in space.

But NASA is, which is why they ordered 53 of them.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/25/nasa-orders-53-unmodified-nikon-d5-digital-slr-cameras.aspx/

$340,000 daaayuuum
I would so get a D850 over a D5, I'd get a D4 over a D5. I honestly think they rushed out the D5 without thinking about the exact specs for it not to mention that god awful price tag. It only excels at high iso and frame rate, that's it. I'd pretty much just use it for indoor sports. I wouldn't do portraits or street photography with it that's for damn sure. It would be a fine event camera, but at the same time I'd just get a D4 for the added burst rate. The D850 seems like a do everything camera not to mention it's sharper than the D5.

There will likely be a D5S or D5X in the future with the "same" sensor as the D850, but with the advantages of the D5 included. Nikon has released S and/or X models of nearly all their pro cameras over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nikon_DSLR_cameras

I'm not a big fan of the large form factor DSLRs or using an addon grip. DSLR batteries last long enough (my 10 year old D300 battery can still take a few thousand photos), and I have flexible enough wrists that shooting portrait is easy (is this really an issue for some people?). I once got to use a D700 and D3 in the same day, and I much preferred using the D700 just because of the weight.

So the D850 has me all hot and bothered, but my next camera will likely be a used D8xx or D750 (maybe a D7xxx).

There will likely be a D5S or D5X in the future with the "same" sensor as the D850, but with the advantages of the D5 included. Nikon has released S and/or X models of nearly all their pro cameras over the years.

I'm not a big fan of the large form factor DSLRs or using an addon grip. DSLR batteries last long enough (my 10 year old D300 battery can still take a few thousand photos), and I have flexible enough wrists that shooting portrait is easy (is this really an issue for some people?). I once got to use a D700 and D3 in the same day, and I much preferred using the D700 just because of the weight.

So the D850 has me all hot and bothered, but my next camera will likely be a used D8xx or D750 (maybe a D7xxx).
I hate doing portraits without the grip. It really depends on the duration you have to do them for. Not to mention it depends on what lens you're using for portraits. I had to do an event for the entire morning where I had to use a D3100 and an 18-105 I believe and practically had to shoot nothing but portraits. My wrists ached for several days. I find that to be an uncomfortable position to deal with all morning. Meanwhile I shoot like almost two hours straight using my D810 with the handgrip going from horizontal to vertical with the 85 1.8 without problems. Not to mention the times when I use the 70-200 at long amounts of time without problems. So yes I'm going to assume it's a definite comfort thing, not to mention that the grip adds some extra weight at the base of the lens if you have a long piece of glass for some balancing advantages. I shoot events with two gripped cameras, it's an added benefit. Not to mention that my pinky isn't dangling at the bottom of the camera for no reason. Adding the grip to my XT2 has even made that a more comfortable camera. Also I don't have big hands just so you know. I honestly think the D3X is only a thing because it took them forever to roll out the D4. The D5S better remove the low pass filter as well. Edit: I'm looking at the specs of the D3X and I honestly have no idea what the demographic is for it. What was it's exact niche? The only thing I know is that somebody on the modelmayhem forums uses it to shoot fashion.

nelchaar

Hi all, I'm pretty new to photography; I'm making my way through the understanding exposure book and learning as I go. Can someone recommend a tripod? I'm using a Nikon D3300.

selfnoise

Have you read the wirecutter tripod roundup?

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tripod/

Don't cheap out on a tripod. For most photographers, you'll really want a ball head and something that's going to be sturdy and easy to maneuver. Make sure you get some kind of quick release plate that you'll be comfortable just leaving on the camera body as it makes using the tripod much easier.

Also, try to buy a size tripod that you can use comfortably without extending the center column too far (or at all) since that tends to compromise stability.

That said, I don't agree with Thom Hogan that you should just buy the top of the line to start with. Many enthusiast photographers buy a tripod, then find it too cumbersome to use frequently.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Just wait and get a refurbished D850. It's what I did with my d800e.
My friend really wants a D850. He's had constant focus problems on his d800. I don't know why he doesn't keep sending it back to nikon to fix. I don't have any focus issues with my d800e.

Don't cheap out on a tripod. For most photographers, you'll really want a ball head and something that's going to be sturdy and easy to maneuver. Make sure you get some kind of quick release plate that you'll be comfortable just leaving on the camera body as it makes using the tripod much easier.

Also, try to buy a size tripod that you can use comfortably without extending the center column too far (or at all) since that tends to compromise stability.

That said, I don't agree with Thom Hogan that you should just buy the top of the line to start with. Many enthusiast photographers buy a tripod, then find it too cumbersome to use frequently.
I agree with Tom hogan 100% but I don't think k he was specifically advocating for buying the top of the line.

Also never buy a tripod with a center column. Waste of money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The D850 really does seem like a steal of a deal for Nikon shooters or just about anyone looking to get a nice full frame camera. Its direct competitor, the Canon 5D Mark IV, is just completely pathetic in comparison in every aspect. Really boggles the mind why Canon has the biggest share in the DSLR market.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Marketing, ecosystem lock-in and network effect.

Yeah. Once you get invested in one system, it's definitely hard to switch, especially when things are "good enough." Seems like they just stopped caring about making badass all-rounder cameras after the 5D Mark II.

Yeah. Once you get invested in one system, it's definitely hard to switch, especially when things are "good enough." Seems like they just stopped caring about making badass all-rounder cameras after the 5D Mark II.

Mirrorless, especially m4/3, makes it easier to have a mostly "mount agnostic" system, so you can switch body makes without much of a hassle. If you're invested into one of the mirrored mounts, though, it's a real pain.

I know quite a few people who bought a 5D MKII and never left the ecosystem. People bought it because Canon was everywhere, all YouTubers were using it, all lenses you saw covering sports were white, all your friends had Canon cameras and lenses you could borrow. Those are guaranteed sales to the end of times, pretty much.

nelchaar

This is great, thanks for sharing. Exactly what I needed to read about.

giga

Nikon should offer a Canon gear trade in program. Also, Nikon lenses seem to be more expensive than their Canon equivalent which makes switching hard. I asked earlier about replacing my 17-40, which I got for $500 refurbished, and the equivalent Nikon 17-35 is twice that price new. (Yes I know the latter has VR. I don't need VR for landscapes.)

This is great, thanks for sharing. Exactly what I needed to read about.

Do some research on Sirui tripods as well. A 2lbs carbon fibre one is $200 and the alu one like half that.

Nikon should offer a Canon gear trade in program. Also, Nikon lenses seem to be more expensive than their Canon equivalent which makes switching hard. I asked earlier about replacing my 17-40, which I got for $500 refurbished, and the equivalent Nikon 17-35 is twice that price new. (Yes I know the latter has VR. I don't need VR for landscapes.)
The 17-35 2.8 is A) old and B) not the most reliable lens, hence why I said to go after the 16-35 F4, it's not as stupidly expensive either. Also you should really look into pre owned lenses.

japtor

Depends what stuff might be dealbreakers for you for your first camera. Looking at a few older ones like the G7 or older GX series models you can get them around $500 used, but you might be lacking 4K, stabilization, or mic input (and whatever other differences, like a viewfinder on smaller/cheaper ones). Course that's just Panasonic's stuff, not sure how others are for video.

The Fuji XT2 is legit. Just beat the shit out of it all day with 2 photo shoots and a bunch of street photography and it handled it like a champ. It's AF tracking allowed me to get a few key shots that I don't think my D810 or 600 would have gotten and being limited to like 2 short lenses didn't hobble me at all. So yeah I think I can safely say it's more the photographer at this point and not my actual gear which is something I always thought was what led to my picture progression. I can also say I'm going to be using this thing on photo shoots more. I at first didn't even know why I had it but it's just a great and fun camera to use. So glad I said "fuck it" and used my lighter kit today.

Ty4on

Samyang 14mm has very little barrel distortion, and there's a few others. I believe Voitglander and Laowa have next to zero distortion ultra wides.

It has very heavy distortion on FF, but it's curvy
Samyang14mm-test.jpg

Wide angle on DSLRs can be really bad because a retrofocus design by default gives you barrel distortion that has to be corrected. I think there's also a trade-off with sharpness and complexity. Most lenses in this class have much less distortion than the Samyang, but often aren't as sharp or as good for astro as the Samyang lens.

Mirrorless/rangefinder lenses can avoid all distortion by being very symmetrical. A perfectly symmetrical design will always have zero distortion. The downside is they have insane vignetting as they get ultrawide, so bad you need specialized filters.
Check out the vignetting and distortion graph in this spec sheet:
https://www.zeissimages.com/mtf/g/Hologon8_16mm_e.pdf

Hey CameraGAF!

I've been a film student for the past several years and just recently graduated from college back in May. Due to monetary limitations, I never really owned much of any film gear of my own while I was attending and instead rented out equipment from the school whenever I needed to.

So now that I'm out of college, I'm finally getting my first personal camera for filmmaking. It's going to be a Canon T6i, as part of Canon's Video Creator kit (which also comes with a chip and a Rode VideoMic Go). Initially I was debating between the T6i and the Panasonic G7 or G85, but the Video Creator kit had the mic which I really wanted to get too. Plus almost all the different cameras I used in my classes in college were Canon DSLRs, save for an old vintage Super 8 camera we used once.

For now, I'm aiming to get a basic tripod (debating between a Rangers 57' and the Magnus VT-4000), an Yelangu s60t steadycam and one or two vintage lenses and the appropriate adapters needed for the T6i so that I can get a bit more visual variety and force myself to get more experience using manual focus lenses. The steadycam is so that I have at least one way for some form of stable moving shots beyond the basic pan and tilts the tripod will provide.

Is there anyone here who has a T6i that can give me some advice on the camera and what sort of other gear I should look to get that will work with it moving forward?

Hey CameraGAF!

I've been a film student for the past several years and just recently graduated from college back in May. Due to monetary limitations, I never really owned much of any film gear of my own while I was attending and instead rented out equipment from the school whenever I needed to.

So now that I'm out of college, I'm finally getting my first personal camera for filmmaking. It's going to be a Canon T6i, as part of Canon's Video Creator kit (which also comes with a chip and a Rode VideoMic Go). Initially I was debating between the T6i and the Panasonic G7 or G85, but the Video Creator kit had the mic which I really wanted to get too. Plus almost all the different cameras I used in my classes in college were Canon DSLRs, save for an old vintage Super 8 camera we used once.

For now, I'm aiming to get a basic tripod (debating between a Rangers 57' and the Magnus VT-4000), an Yelangu s60t steadycam and one or two vintage lenses and the appropriate adapters needed for the T6i so that I can get a bit more visual variety and force myself to get more experience using manual focus lenses. The steadycam is so that I have at least one way for some form of stable moving shots beyond the basic pan and tilts the tripod will provide.

Is there anyone here who has a T6i that can give me some advice on the camera and what sort of other gear I should look to get that will work with it moving forward?
I'd honestly get the G85 because of the IBIS and 4K recording and it probably records in a better codec and higher bit rate than Canon's budget camera, but do what you want to do. Just to clarify this isn't me being a dick or anything. I just don't think a person should buy Canon's budget DSLR for video just because it comes with a free rode mic. Especially when there are much better camera's specifically for video. Also it doesn't kill you to use something you're not inherently used to. I have shot Canon, Nikon and Fuji and outside Canon ergonomics being a bit weird to me I can go to and from systems pretty well.

Ty4on

Panasonic seems to be the future for filmmaking right now

They have a lot of options from used GH4 and the like. Only the newest bodies have IBIS, but most Panasonic Zoom lenses will have stabilization.

The big thing right now is 4k. Not just for sharpness, even though it can look stunning when downscaled to 1080p**, but also flexibility to crop afterwards to either alter or fix compositions. Right now sadly it seems like Canon is locking 4k to their very expensive cinema lineup while none of their DSLRs have usable 4k.

**Pretty much only the GH5 has 4k at 60p sadly

I have to second JadedWriter's thought on the G85 for IBIS and 4K. Would also think about the a6500 or 80D for auto focus if it is not narrative films what you will be shooting, but documentaries.

As a no budget filmmaker, a stable picture will be the hardest thing to improvise without expensive equipment. Having the ability to do shoulder mount shooting and have a more stable picture is pretty convenient.