• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football Paypal League(s) - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure you can have Yahoo set the order randomly.

so uh, why don't you do that today? =)

Draft Procedure

Where can I view my league’s draft order?

Public league: Managers in a public league can view the league’s draft order 30 minutes before the league is scheduled to draft. You can view the order once you click “Enter Live Draft”. For auto-pick leagues, you can select “Draft Results” under the “Draft Central” tab after the draft is complete.

Private leagues: Managers can view their league’s draft order in advance, only if the commish has set the draft order. Select “Draft Results” under the “Draft Central” tab. If the commish has not set the draft order and has selected random order, then managers can view their draft order 30 minutes before the start of the league’s scheduled draft.

To me it sounds like "view their league's draft order in advance only if the commish has set the draft order" means manually by your own doing(I recommend a hat) but maybe there's a randomize option that's different from the following... "random order, managers view their draft order 30 minuters before the start."

Obviously, I'm not Commish...so only you would know for sure.

Pretty sure you can have Yahoo set the order randomly.

I think you can; however I'm pretty sure it requires you to finalize the team list (which basically locks out adding/removing teams.) So you need a fully paid in league to do it. We can't do it right now for the money league, for instance.

Edit: Goddamn, my QB problems. Which scenario sounds better?

2) Matt Ryan + 3) Antonio Brown + 7) Luck/Wilson/JCut
2) Cruz/Harvin + 3) Philip Rivers + 7) Luck/Wilson/JCut
2) Cruz/Harvin + 3) Antonio Brown + 5) RG3

Ice sounds reliable but a 2nd sounds damn expensive even in a keeper format. If I wait to 3 it's basically either Rivers or Big Ben. RG3 definitely going in 5, the other guys maybe a round or two later.

I think you can; however I'm pretty sure it requires you to finalize the team list (which basically locks out adding/removing teams.) So you need a fully paid in league to do it. We can't do it right now for the money league, for instance.

Edit: Goddamn, my QB problems. Which scenario sounds better?

2) Matt Ryan + 3) Antonio Brown + 7) Luck/Wilson/JCut
2) Cruz/Harvin + 3) Philip Rivers + 7) Luck/Wilson/JCut
2) Cruz/Harvin + 3) Antonio Brown + 5) RG3

Ice sounds reliable but a 2nd sounds damn expensive even in a keeper format. If I wait to 3 it's basically either Rivers or Big Ben. RG3 definitely going in 5, the other guys maybe a round or two later.

I think you've rated a lot of those players way too high. So I can't endorse any of those plans.

That's not a rating. That's the round they will be going in this keeper draft. (12 teams x 4 keepers = 48 players kept)

That's what I meant...the round. Not sure what a keeper league is. I guess it means no trades/waiver from the sound of it. As I said before I think you have a lot of them in the wrong round. Of the given options though I'd say the first one is the least offensive.

That's what I meant...the round. Not sure what a keeper league is. I guess it means no trades/waiver from the sound of it. As I said before I think you have a lot of them in the wrong round. Of the given options though I'd say the first one is the least offensive.

A keeper league is a generic term for leagues where you can keep a limited number of players from your previous year's roster. For example, in our league, you can keep any four off your roster at a cost of +1 round vs. what they cost last year. There are still trades and waivers as with any regular league. (A Dynasty league, on the other hand, is typically a league where you keep *everyone*)

Here's two teams as an example:

1. Foster (1), Green (4), McFadden (9), Murray (10)
2. Brees (1), Rice (2), Sproles (9), Ridley (11)

That means that not *every* high talent player is kept - some are too expensive, or maybe a team just didn't have room to keep him - but many are, particularly those that were drafted when their value was much lower. In the end it also means that 40-50 players are kept and a lot of them are kept in the first four rounds, drastically changing the talent drop during the draft.

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, go vote on the pool share on the league site. The way things are going, we might as well give all the money to the first place winner lol

Guys, go vote on the pool share on the league site. The way things are going, we might as well give all the money to the first place winner lol

I voted for a different balance but I think the solution is usually pretty obvious, like

50/25/15/5/5 or whatever. You make 1st worth it

Cloudy

Banned
I voted for a different balance but I think the solution is usually pretty obvious, like

50/25/15/5/5 or whatever. You make 1st worth it

I get that but $410 out of $1040 seems reasonable to me. The whole purpose of starting the league was to keep EVERYONE motivated to play till the VERY end. I don't think a huge first prize and scraps to others helps achieve that. Just my opinion though. Majority rules :)

minx

I believe everyone in the economy league has paid. Can we set the draft order today so we can actually do some proper mocks.

UberTag

One thing you'll clearly note due to the 1 starting RB rule that running backs are sliding much deeper in this draft compared to others...

2.6 - Chris Johnson (RB)
2.7 - Rob Gronkowski (TE)
2.8 - Wes Welker (WR)
3.1 - Aaron Hernandez (TE)

The guy on the front end of the draft snake who drafted Brady 1st overall is clearly Patriot-happy as he reached way early for both Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez as the 3rd players off the board for their respective positions. I actually view Welker as the bigger reach as he may well be getting rotated out of the offense.

I fully suspect this guy will grab Brandon Lloyd and Stevan Ridley with his next two draft picks. Regrettably, I'm not playing him Week 9 when the Pats have their bye.

3.2 - Adrian Peterson (RB)
3.3 - Larry Fitzgerald (WR)
3.4 - A.J. Green (WR)
3.5 - Dez Bryant (WR)
3.6 - Greg Jennings (WR)

At this point, I still don't want to grab a Quarterback. I'm in a cushy position of being in between both players who still need QBs so no more than one of Newton/Vick/Stafford can fly off the board without backups being selected. And I'd only be concerned about backups being reached for early if Vick was drafted and he hasn't been.

I have Rice locked in as my starter so my plan with my next two picks is to fill out my remaining starter WR/TE slots. I decided to focus on TE first seeing how the name of the game in shallow 8-team leagues is to land studs and the only remaining option for a TE stud is a "healthier than he's been in 3 seasons" Antonio Gates.

Vernon Davis only shows up in the playoffs. Finley only shows up when you have him benched. Witten is hurt. Fred Davis is a walking suspension waiting to happen who seemed to have more chemistry with Sexy Rexy than RG3. Pettigrew is Mr. PPR who gains like 3 yards and falls down after every catch due to doubling as the Lions defacto run game. The nice thing about Gates in this league is that I will have plenty of backups to pluck off the wire and later in the draft if he hurts himself again.

3.7 - ANTONIO GATES (TE) - my selection
3.8 - Matthew Stafford (QB) - drafted by the Megatron owner; yet another double TD points per score threat along with Brees-Graham and Brady-Welker/Hernandez
4.1 - Andre Johnson (WR)

With QB6 selected, only two of us are now without a starting quarterback. I'm still not looking to pull the trigger here as I don't see much of a difference between Newton/Vick/Ryan. The fact that the rushing QBs have slipped this far is a good thing as this league awards 7 points per rushing TD instead of the standard 6.

On the receiver front, I have a number of worthy options (Roddy White, Jordy Nelson, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz). Both Nicks and Smith have lingering foot injuries. Roddy is tempting but is requesting fewer targets this season plus it would really put me in a tough spot for Week 7 with both Julio and Gates already sharing that bye week. Jordy is looking strong but I don't want to chase his 15 touchdowns last season and there are still a number of options in Green Bay's passing game that could see him disappear. Cruz could hit a sophomore slump and fail to perform now that people know what he's capable of and both Manningham and Ballard are gone as receiving threats.

I elect to pass on all of those guys and roll the dice on the guy who got 10 targets in last week's preseason game in the newly-reunited-with-Cutler Brandon Marshall.

4.2 - BRANDON MARSHALL (WR) - my selection
4.3 - Victor Cruz (WR)
4.4 - Cam Newton (QB)
Time for some more analysis & commentary of my current work league's ongoing fantasy draft...

4.5 - Dwayne Bowe (WR)
4.6 - Roddy White (WR)
4.7 - Steve Smith (WR)

This guy originally tried drafting Julio Jones first without realizing I grabbed him two rounds earlier.

4.8 - Marshawn Lynch (RB)
5.1 - Jordy Nelson (WR)
5.2 - David Akers (K)

Yeah, a kicker was selected in the 5th round. Of a SEVENTEEN ROUND DRAFT. Clearly I can throw logic out the window with the guy in the #2 slot.

5.3 - Trent Richardson (RB)
5.4 - Steven Jackson (RB)
5.5 - Demaryius Thomas (WR)
5.6 - Jermichael Finley (TE)

At this point it's my turn to draft again and I'm incredulous that Hakeem Nicks is still on the board. Unfortunately I've already got my 2nd receiver and it's hardly an immediate area of need given the WR depth this season so I have to pass.

There are two starting quarterbacks still available I'm comfortable with as my QB1: Vick and Matty Ice. As the owner on the tail of the snake just drafted Stafford in his last tandem of picks to roll alongside Megatron and I am unwilling to pop the cork on defensive players I'm inclined to grab my backup RB for Ray Rice now.

In addition to his Week 8 bye week, I'm not crazy about Rice's matchups against Houston in Week 7 and against the Steelers in Weeks 11 & 13. DeMarco Murray has decent to nice matchups on all four of those weeks and boasts a 1st round ADP in standard draft formats. Nabbing him as a backup in Round 5 seems like a steal.

5.7 - DeMARCO MURRAY (RB) - my selection
5.8 - Jason Pierre-Paul (DE)
6.1 - Matt Ryan (QB)

I haven't got a clue as to why the Stafford owner wants to deal with the quandary of which Matt to start each week by grabbing Matty Ice but he's got that dilemma thrust upon him now. He must still think Stafford is injury prone so he's doubling up on Matts. I believe that's a misnomer.

Needless to say, I'm left with only one remaining QB I'm content to roll with now and that's clearly...

6.2 - MICHAEL VICK (QB) - my selection
6.3 - Jared Allen (DE)
6.4 - Brandon Pettigrew (TE)
6.5 - James Laurinaitis (LB)

And the run of defensive players starts.
Both Hakeem Nicks and Jamaal Charles remain undrafted at this point.

EDIT - The E-Mail draft is flying now so I'll just build onto this original post.

6.6 - DeMarcus Ware (LB)
6.7 - Patrick Willis (LB)
6.8 - Marques Colston (WR)
7.1 - D'Qwell Jackson (LB)
7.2 - Desmond Bishop (LB)
7.3 - London Fletcher (LB)
7.4 - Maurice Jones-Drew (RB)

Mr. Holdout finally surfaces.

7.5 - Navorro Bowman (LB)
7.6 - Stephen Gostkowski (K)

As does Kicker #2. Such silliness. Incidentally, we start 5 defensive players weekly in this league. Equal to the number of offensive starters (if you exclude the kicker).

Now I plan to start things off defensively with an elite Defensive End acquisition. But I can wait a couple picks to do that as the tail end of the snake just grabbed Pierre-Paul last round (of course, I said the same thing about QB last time around and he went back to the well anyhow).

Mainly I'm just fed up that this player has slid down the draft board so far.

7.7 - HAKEEM NICKS (WR) - my selection
7.8 - Derrick Johnson (LB)
8.1 - Vernon Davis (TE)

This is one of the few instances where I'll let my own NFL fandom bias skew my fantasy agenda. If I was being scientific about this, I would select Trent Cole from the Eagles as my DE as I believe he'll have the better season. But I'm going to let my inner fanboy out here and roll the dice with...

8.2 - MARIO WILLIAMS (DE) - my selection

I just bought his jersey so I'm entitled to be a little attached and this is my only IDP league, so why the hell not?

8.3 - Charles Tillman (CB)
8.4 - Chris Long (DE)
8.5 - Morgan Burnett (S)

A keeper league is a generic term for leagues where you can keep a limited number of players from your previous year's roster. For example, in our league, you can keep any four off your roster at a cost of +1 round vs. what they cost last year. There are still trades and waivers as with any regular league. (A Dynasty league, on the other hand, is typically a league where you keep *everyone*)

Here's two teams as an example:

1. Foster (1), Green (4), McFadden (9), Murray (10)
2. Brees (1), Rice (2), Sproles (9), Ridley (11)

That means that not *every* high talent player is kept - some are too expensive, or maybe a team just didn't have room to keep him - but many are, particularly those that were drafted when their value was much lower. In the end it also means that 40-50 players are kept and a lot of them are kept in the first four rounds, drastically changing the talent drop during the draft.

Hmm. Interesting system. Don't think it's for me.

Rule #1: Accidentally draft ochocinco with the 2nd overall pick (has happened in my league. good laughs)
Rule #2 - Drafting a well-know name like Peyton Manning #1 overall is perfectly fine. (happened in a Mock I was in today. I nearly Autopicked the rest of the draft, I was so pissed.)

UberTag

Rule #2 - Drafting a well-know name like Peyton Manning #1 overall is perfectly fine. (happened in a Mock I was in today. I nearly Autopicked the rest of the draft, I was so pissed.)
Why would you be pissed about that? I love it when people draft stupidly.
Hence love those early kicker picks in the work draft I've been providing commentary on.

One other detail I forgot to mention earlier... the guy who drafted David Akers in the 5th round spent a 7th round pick on Desmond Bishop... whom the Packers put on Injured Reserve two days ago and won't play a snap all season. Hilarity!

He also reached for Nate Washington in the 9th while the following receivers remain unclaimed: Percy Harvin, Miles Austin, both of the Steelers starters (Wallace & Brown), both of the Eagles starters (DJax & Maclin) and Brandon Lloyd. Just to name a few.

Puddles, I was noticing the scoring for Kickers is default. Not going to use the same system as the NQ4 League?

Also, you don't list a sack penalty...
Why would you be pissed about that? I love it when people draft stupidly.
Hence love those early kicker picks in the work draft I've been providing commentary on.

One other detail I forgot to mention earlier... the guy who drafted David Akers in the 5th round spent a 7th round pick on Desmond Bishop... whom the Packers put on Injured Reserve two days ago and won't play a snap all season. Hilarity!

He also reached for Nate Washington in the 9th while the following receivers remain unclaimed: Percy Harvin, Miles Austin, both of the Steelers starters (Wallace & Brown), both of the Eagles starters (DJax & Maclin) and Brandon Lloyd. Just to name a few.
Because it's hard enough doing a 14 teamer when NQ4 is a 16-teamer, but I'm evaluating where certain guys are getting drafted 1st 2nd round.

And yeah, maybe I should do a public league next year just so maybe I join a league w/ stupid people.

Puddles

Banned
Puddles, I was noticing the scoring for Kickers is default. Not going to use the same system as the NQ4 League?

Also, you don't list a sack penalty...

Fuck sack penalties. No league I run will ever use one.

I'll look into the NQ4 kicking system and change the Econ League to match it if it looks good.

In the meantime, I just ran the draft lottery on one of the sites you linked me to, and we have our order. You're picking first, so the pressure's on!

1) The Book of Eli
2) Puddles of Win
3) NJ Muscle
4) Long Island Broskis
5) Locker2SB
6) TD's N' Beer
7) The Sexy Rexs
8) Stompers
9) Romo Wittenhispants#2
10) Knights of Mars
11) Good as Gould
12) The Machine

UberTag

In the meantime, I just ran the draft lottery on one of the sites you linked me to, and we have our order. You're picking first, so the pressure's on!

1) The Book of Eli
Will we see Eli Manning go 1st overall? He went 2nd in my work league so he's clearly a hot commodity. Don't let Puddles beat you to the punch, Frankman.

Puddles

Banned
I also nerfed the bonus points a bit, since apparently they stack. Thus a QB who threw for 400 yards would get 7 bonus points instead of 4. I added .5 point micro-bonuses for 40 yard TD passes, TD receptions and TD catches.

I also raised the threshold for the 1 point bonus for QBs to 300 yards, up from 250. The second bonus is now awarded at 350 yards. 250 seemed too low. Even Mark Sanchez could probably get to 250 yards more often than not.

I'll look into the NQ4 kicking system and change the Econ League to match it if it looks good.

1) The Book of Eli
2) Puddles of Win
3) NJ Muscle
4) Long Island Broskis
5) Locker2SB
6) TD's N' Beer
7) The Sexy Rexs
8) Stompers
9) Romo Wittenhispants#2
10) Knights of Mars
11) Good as Gould
12) The Machine

Thanks for doing this a day early. =)

I'm #8...haven't drafted from that spot yet in a mock. Too bad for The Machine.

1) The Book of Eli
1) The Book of Eli
1) The Book of Eli
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
tumblr_m1xj6lGQcG1qi0mi7o1_400.gif

YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

yes-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1292.gif

I'm willing to hear trade offers for my #1 pick.

minx

1) The Book of Eli
2) Puddles of Win
3) NJ Muscle
4) Long Island Broskis
5) Locker2SB
6) TD's N' Beer
7) The Sexy Rexs
8) Stompers
9) Romo Wittenhispants#2
10) Knights of Mars
11) Good as Gould
12) The Machine

The perfect spot! Guarantee top 3 RB or QB!

tumblr_m9flqvcLW31r6kpk7.gif

227839420.gif

tumblr_m9bz07obtu1rqbcss.gif

UberTag

I was checking the settings and I noticed the format is much different:

1 QB
2 WR
2 RB
1 TE
2 Flex Spots: W/T and W/R.

Is that practical? Because now I predict a lot of 1 TE/3 RB/3 WR lineups, not to mention if a bench slot isn't chopped off We're going to see 5-6 RB teams again. Like Ubertag said earlier TEs aren't completely viable to the point in a Flex situation that even a third of teams will go with a TE over a RB/WR in a Flex situation.
Most of the time it would be silly for ANYONE to choose TE over RB/WR in a flex situation. The only instance where it would potentially pay dividends would be in a league where you somehow landed 2 of the Top 5 TEs and started them religiously (likely leaving you thin at other positions).

A flex TE may have some merit on bye weeks due to thinner lineups. But flexing the Tight End spot really only becomes fruitful in practical situations in PPR leagues where a Heath Miller/Zach Miller/Kellen Winslow type can bring home a solid 10-12 points on a weekly basis.

A flex TE may have some merit on bye weeks due to thinner lineups. But flexing the Tight End spot really only becomes fruitful in practical situations in PPR leagues where a Heath Miller/Zach Miller/Kellen Winslow type can bring home a solid 10-12 points on a weekly basis.
I can see more use in a 16 teamer though, and I think you'll see alot more viable fantasy TE's than last year. More and more teams are not only making their TEs legit threats, but 3-4 teams have announced they'll goto more 2 TE sets (a la Pats) this year.

UberTag

I can see more use in a 16 teamer though, and I think you'll see alot more viable fantasy TE's than last year. More and more teams are not only making their TEs legit threats, but 3-4 teams have announced they'll goto more 2 TE sets (a la Pats) this year.
Teams that stick out with multiple viable TE potential include Indianapolis, Denver, Detroit, Seattle and Minnesota.

Freak Show Friday: Six-hour advice marathon kicks off at Noon ET, 9 AM PT

I usually never listen to the show, but with Draft Day coming up and no less than 6 experts lined up to give advice, I'll listen.
I'm not convinced either guy (Moeaki, Boss) will be fantasy-relevant as a tandem even if Kansas City is running 2-TE sets. A lot of that depends on Cassel playing competently.
This. Plus the dumpoff to Charles is just too ingrained in Cassell. That play >>> passing to Moke/Baws.

EDIT: How the fuck did Britt only get a 1-game suspension?

UberTag

Are we going to find out our draft positions ahead of time for the NQ4 league?
We've asked nicely but Cloudy wishes to keep us all in suspense until 30 minutes beforehand (aka 9pm EDT/6pm PDT on Sunday night).
Which sort of sucks as I'll still be finishing up another draft which starts at 7:30pm EDT when our draft order gets posted.

UberTag

Final recap of my work league draft...

1.7 - Ray Rice (RB)
2.2 - Julio Jones (WR)
3.7 - Antonio Gates (TE)
4.2 - Brandon Marshall (WR)
5.7 - DeMarco Murray (RB)
6.2 - Michael Vick (QB)
7.7 - Hakeem Nicks (WR)
8.2 - Mario Williams (DE)

My last three picks: JASON McCOURTY (CB), DARYL WASHINGTON (LB), VON MILLER (LB); my league awards inflated points for sacks (5 per sack) so last year's Defensive Rookie of the Year (Miller) gets consideration over higher-ranked LBs for his QB rush ability.

Technically, I still have gaps in my starting lineup... need one more starting defender and my kicker. The rest of the holes in my roster are going to get filled with a supplemental draft via waivers over the weekend.

Will also scoop up a backup quarterback to account for Vick's fragility (Tony Romo is my top waiver claim and I should land him without trouble). Same deal for Gates - will have plenty of options to pick from there.

By and large I'm quite content with my inaugural IDP league fantasy lineup.

UberTag

DeMarco going in the fifth? He never makes it to the third in any of the mocks I've seen.

Edit: 8 man league.
Not only was this an 8-man league but an 8-man league where only one RB starts on a given week. So yeah, that's the main reason he slipped. Read the earlier commentary on why some other players dropped. Was a really unique draft with a wild scoring format. David Akers was drafted before DeMarco Murray for crying out loud.

I guess I can post my other league list. (Same starter setup as NQ4)

QB: Vick, Schaub, Wilson
WR: Green, Jennings, Garcon
RB: Foster, McFadden, Murray, McGahee, ARI Williams, Tate
TE: Celek

Think I did pretty well, though brb gotta buy those vick vests for the feet of my RB

I guess I can post my other league list. (Same starter setup as NQ4)

QB: Vick, Schaub, Wilson
WR: Green, Jennings, Garcon
RB: Foster, McFadden, Murray, McGahee, ARI Williams, Tate
TE: Celek

Think I did pretty well, though brb gotta buy those vick vests for the feet of my RB

Um how many people are in this league you're in?

You have 5 top 20 picks

UberTag

Um how many people are in this league you're in?

You have 5 top 20 picks
Clearly it doesn't share NQ4's 16 owners.
It also boasts one extra bench spot.

Lastly, that bench depth seems suspect given that if it's truly matching NQ4's starter setup (QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,W/T,D/ST,K), why would you want 6 RBs to cover two starting slots and no bench depth to speak of for your 4 receiver slots who effectively have to start each and every week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom