• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

Rat Rage

Regarding politics, there can be a lot of right wing conspiracy discussion in the politics section but I don't think it's that hard to go "wow that's nonsense" and then immediately carry on with my day.

Yeah, that part of the politcs forum is definitely one of the weakest parts of NeoGAF so far. However, the politics area is probably a good place for the lunatics to vent. It's easy to ignore it, too, and focus on other, more worthwile discussions in the gaming area.

Tsukumo

Great news, but judging from the... vibe behind many posts I'm positive that a big chunk of them must be Reset Era permabans.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, that part of the politcs forum is definitely one of the weakest parts of NeoGAF so far. However, the politics area is probably a good place for the lunatics to vent. It's easy to ignore it, too, and focus on other, more worthwile discussions in the gaming area.

Not sure why people immediately take interest in the politics subforum. GAF is, has, and always will be a video game forum and that is where the vast majority of folks stay - including a large number of left leaning folks. If I wanted to get into heated political debates, I would just talk with family during holiday meetups.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
tejfsHJ.gif

(but i'm not an hot latina chick with an helmet so no strange request via pm please)
Now if we can only get that shower scene gif!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Resetera turned into GAF prior to Resetera existing. Bans for any sort of dissent and completely arbitrary reasons. Dog piling. Cancel culture. No thanks.

I’m much happier here, although it still isn’t quite perfect. At least I don’t have to sweat getting perma’d for whatever flavor of the week.

My GAF account is older than many forum members.

apotema

IwXPsSa.png

nfzpQdd.png

(ignore the April dip, technical reasons)

What a recovery: from a little more than 500 posts per day to over 6000 posts per day, and from an average concurrent online user count of 2600 to over 4000 (with many times more members online).

We have a great community here, a sane and relatively civil one where differences of opinion are welcome and people can debate with facts or memes, and we'll continue to rebuild into this new and exciting gaming generation of teraflops, SSDs, ray tracing, and VR.

Thanks for being a part of NeoGAF.

Congratulations, happy to be back in my community.

Please, NEVER allow to be like the other site. Investigate profoundly your future mods!

Halcyon

I've not been posting much because I've been casually reading on my phone, but I'm glad I came back to the forum. I loved GAF when I joined but slowly started to generally hate being a part of the conversation with people I couldn't relate to.

It's great to see this place a little more sane. I'd have to assume that's why it's growing again.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Grats and it should be.

I appreciate the funny warning message I got too. On other boards, which I won't name, I would have been banned. But I here I got a genuine laugh out of my warning alert and thought to myself "Yea, I was being a dick, time to dial it back".

Hal.

It's a shame that Era is still so damned active so it's still arguably a better place to go for hot off the press news.

Just reading it infuriates me though, but it was the same with oldgaf too.

Prefer the site as it is now - let's just hope we can get the activity up again!

Mista

Banned
We have 400+ online and 2k+ guests online

Won't say two years ago, I'll say last year. We didn't even have half of those numbers

I was here with a bunch of others and it was the same members over and over again

We tried to put GAF back to where it belongs. I'll never forget what I did last E3 nor forget the boys that helped too

This is a beautiful place, it always was, always will be. People here actually have their opinions they don't follow anyone

Whoever says GAF is a "hivemind" give them the middle finger because thats a rubbish lie. Stay the same GAF, don't change, you all are awesome in your way!

nush

Gold Member
I was here with a bunch of others and it was the same members over and over again

I do miss that time in a way, it felt like the forum was a big empty mansion and just a few of your mates were hanging out there. You had to go from room to room to find them.

Some of those bros seem to have vanished recently though.

ShadowLag

Those numbers are clearly photoshopped!!!! FAKE NEWS!!!

But really, damn it's good to see this post. A statistic that represents a growing trend of people seeking free and open communication instead of more dogpiling, banishment, and extremism.

Last edited:
I remember this thread at ERA where someone asked if people were OK with Laura Bailey voicing Nadine (or something like that, I don't remember exactly). Around half of us voted that we were, and the other half voted that they weren't. You would expect this sentiment to be reflected in the thread replies, but if you dared to enter the thread the only replies were about how every user who thought it was alright was fucking trash, racist, a piece of shit, and so on and so forth. Most people in that forum are afraid of speaking their minds because they know that anything that goes even slightly against what most users think is equal to a ban. That was probably the tipping point for me -- I realized that the place had become very toxic and I wasn't really enjoying my time there anymore, and I didn't feel like I could speak freely or give my opinion before pissing somebody off.

That + the ban I got for defending a Community episode (lol) was enough to make me come back here to see how you were doing, and it looks just perfect. Much more active than when I visited back last year. I really like what you've been doing with the place and it's a damn pleasure to come back after all this time, let's hope the community keeps growing more and more!

Last edited:

ShinNL

I was about to report a subreddit for it's sole purpose of being racist against white people (as an Asian, I'm just standing on the sidelines with these eyes: :messenger_hushed:). I searched on Reddit on how to do that and lo and behold:

When you click on identity of vulnerability, you get:

So, basically... there was no channel for me to report racism against white people.

What happened to the good old days of:

Rule: No discrimination against anyone

???

Idiots whining about privileges and literally privileges who gets to call racism disgust me.

At that moment I also thought... thank goodness for GAF. If this stuff starts to affect every subreddit at least I can go to this safe haven. It's frontpage is already filled with bullshit lately. This is what happens if people let the crazies roam free. Don't let it happen to this place (again) EviLore EviLore 🙏

Last edited:

Cracklox

Yeah this place is pretty good again now.

I came back a year or so ago, after I ventured out of about the only thread in Reeee I posted in, and was pretty shocked to find what else went on in that forum. When I originally came back, things were still a little slow, so I didn't post much, and then took a hiatus from all gaming boards for a while. Came back a month or so back and its been good. Good discussion and plenty of laughs to be had. Shame communities are still a little borked, but even they seem to have picked up a bit in recent times too.

Grats to EL on sticking with it and turning things around

Congrats on the success. GAF is definitely a better place to be than the insta-ban forum that shall not be named.
I look forward to seeing this forum grow even more as the "other" site continues to be insane.

DogofWar

I said in my introduction post that I would mostly lurk here but a few weeks later I am up to 90 posts and counting...

For many years I only was in the subreddits of whatever game I was currently playing and it was so hard to get hyped for new games then. I have already seen so many threads about games I hadn't heard about/forgotten about on here that I want to play/revisit. My interest in gaming is back baby!

Thanks NeoGAF!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Those numbers are clearly photoshopped!!!! FAKE NEWS!!!

But really, damn it's good to see this post. A statistic that represents a growing trend of people seeking free and open communication instead of more dogpiling, banishment, and extremism.

So true.. It's not just encouraging in the fact that I'm happy to see GAF growing. It's even MORE encouraging to see that there are still sane people that value free speech and are willing to listen to differing opinions.

It's great that an alternative to places like twitter and the REE Asylum is gaining ground while the Asylum is declining.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
At that moment I also thought... thank goodness for GAF. If this stuff starts to affect every subreddit at least I can go to this safe haven. It's frontpage is already filled with bullshit lately. This is what happens if people let the crazies roam free. Don't let it happen to this place (again) EviLore EviLore 🙏

I grew up on "I have a dream" as the gold standard ideal to strive for, not the hateful Marxist Intersectionality that's currently permeating the online sphere (which you can see in action with Reddit's new regressive policies, and is officially advocated at Reset). We encourage our users to debate on substance and ideas rather than immutable characteristics like race or sex. As it turns out, if you socially incentivize identity characteristics on a mostly anonymous internet message board, many users will pretend to be something they're not in order to win arguments and get their opposition banned, and signaling identity will become more important than substantive arguments.

What happend was in retrospect good for the Site because it sucked up all the radicals within it and made them leave. Its almost like a offspring sect forming a new radical believe.
Exactly that happend - Resetera is a fascistic Place where opinions are dictated and even the slightest move outside of that narrow Corridor of accepted takes is punished with ban,

It is the best way of getting rid of them ultra intolerant Morons. Withhin their Echo chamber they can now develope the most ridiculos Takes and Opinions, because there is no moderate Opinion allowed the radicals will jake off to themselfs , not noticing that they loose touch with the reality. They will gain, at first, influence and might. But with that carussel with every round getting faster it is only a matter of time until they destroy themselfs and you see the whole place crumples to dust.

The more moderate ones will crawl back here, only leaving the toxic vile essence behind of intolerance and hate. Those poeple will form again a new place, Even more radical than resetera was. And the cycle starts a new.

With all that being said - it was and is sad that it all came at the cost of you being pulled trough the mud EviLore ..
i hope your good again !

Last edited:

Raven117

I grew up on "I have a dream" as the gold standard ideal to strive for, not the hateful Marxist Intersectionality that's currently permeating the online sphere (which you can see in action with Reddit's new regressive policies, and is officially advocated at Reset). We encourage our users to debate on substance and ideas rather than immutable characteristics like race or sex. As it turns out, if you socially incentivize identity characteristics on a mostly anonymous internet message board, many users will pretend to be something they're not in order to win arguments and get their opposition banned, and signaling identity will become more important than substantive arguments.
Hear Hear.

Edwinp

Neo Member
Congrats. I lurked here many years before, but I never wanted to post because of SJW's and certain people. Now it has become a great place where peoole respect eachother opinions unlike a certain other place. Happy this forum is finally recovering after that purge.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What happend was in retrospect good for the Site because it sucked up all the radicals within it and made them leave. Its almost like a offspring sect forming a new radical believe.
Exactly that happend - Resetera is a fascistic Place where opinions are dictated and even the slightest move outside of that narrow Corridor of accepted takes is punished with ban,

It is the best way of getting rid of them ultra intolerant Morons. Withhin their Echo chamber they can now develope the most ridiculos Takes and Opinions, because there is no moderate Opinion allowed the radicals will jake off to themselfs , not noticing that they loose touch with the reality. They will gain, at first, influence and might. But with that carussel with every round getting faster it is only a matter of time until they destroy themselfs and you see the whole place crumples to dust.

The more moderate ones will crawl back here, only leaving the toxic vile essence behind of intolerance and hate. Those poeple will form again a new place, Even more radical than resetera was. And the cycle starts a new.

With all that being said - it was and is sad that it all came at the cost of you being pulled trough the mud EviLore ..
i hope your good again !
Yup.

Let all the weird people (whether they care about games or not) concentrate on Reeeee. Even made worse as the mods are no different in mentality. So it's one big circle jerk of losers, whiners, and lazy fucks with no job patting each other on the back for supporting racism, looting, Seattle autonomous zones and hating Trump.

The users remind of school, where everyone knows that weird kid in the back corner will always be a loser.

Fast forward 20 years and everyone is sending each other Facebook invites so high schoolers can stay in touch. You check out that guy's profile as he's linked in with other Facebook people and the guy is still a loser at 35. Just like when he was at 15.

Rey

I recently started to take notice that GAF was getting more and more traffic/users online and posts but wasn’t sure if it was wishful thinking on my part and now I see this thread!
Congrats and wish GAF all the best!!

Last edited:

mekes

Great job to all the staff as always. And an equal shout out to all those making threads, warring, sharing and what have you. You can feel the difference on the forums every time a thread like this surfaces.

Top Bottom