• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
There’s a great group of people here. Lots of differing views but for the most part everyone here respects each other which you can’t say about other forums or reddit. Especially if you have a different view point. I’ve rarely if ever seen dog piling.

Last edited:

Airola

any time I try browsing outside the gaming areas, I realise how much of a scary echo-chamber this place is. It's like a reverse-era.

The voices that would make this place into something you'd prefer more decided to leave this place on their own. Their exodus was based on lies, exaggerations and overreactions, and they tried to burn this place down while leaving.

It's not the fault of this forum that ~all of the people with certain type of opinions decided to leave. Of course this place will have more voices that go the opposite what they would bring. I mean, what would you expect? When other places ban people for having opinions, of course this forum would attract the banned people to come here, and it would naturally add the amount of opinions you might not prefer to hear.

The fact that this forum doesn't create movements to harass people online and get them fired alone makes the existence of this forum good in today's social climate.

New Slogan

NeoGAF: Have you heard of Juan Soto

1*SPtBQr07K1Yh0uIona6hTQ.gif

Soodanim

The voices that would make this place into something you'd prefer more decided to leave this place on their own. Their exodus was based on lies, exaggerations and overreactions, and they tried to burn this place down while leaving.

It's not the fault of this forum that ~all of the people with certain type of opinions decided to leave. Of course this place will have more voices that go the opposite what they would bring. I mean, what would you expect? When other places ban people for having opinions, of course this forum would attract the banned people to come here, and it would naturally add the amount of opinions you might not prefer to hear.

The fact that this forum doesn't create movements to harass people online and get them fired alone makes the existence of this forum good in today's social climate.
You're absolutely right, but I think the point of what Raonak Raonak is saying is that you unfortunately end up with the majority of opinions being the same. I don't even venture outside of Gaming because that's not what I'm here for, but the same people from OT are posting in Gaming, and you see the same views coming over. Especially with how politically charged things can be. I don't even engage with a lot of that because the way the views are presented are rarely presented in a way that doesn't invite discourse and an exchange of ideas, rather the "Go back to Era" attitude which, while far less extreme than the internet activism nonetheless exclusionary in its approach, and no one learns anything when you have that.

I do wish there was less "Here's what some people said on Twitter" threads. I'm not into celebrity gossip elsewhere, and it's no more wanted here.

Still, all of that encompasses far less of the forum than would be necessary for me to want to leave, and I'm pleased that GAF is on the up and up.

Astral Dog

I think you're exaggerating a bit too much. We have people from all walks of life and political beliefs. Calling this place reverse-era only works if the opposite viewpoint was actively stomped out. If this place allows all points of view, it cannot be reverse-era.
not the gamming side but, sometimes it scarily does look like a reverse era o. O thats why i mostly stick to gamming side on both forums, it was making me depressed reading off topic. I miss the old GAF mostly that was the only place i genuinely enjoying reading off topic threads , learning lots of stuff political and otherwise from cool people. But if everyone is more comfortable with the split that had to happen, i wish the best for everyone, maybe latter i find a thread or two i like to post in 🤭

not the gamming side but, sometimes it scarily does look like a reverse era o. O thats why i mostly stick to gamming side on both forums, it was making me depressed reading off topic. I miss the old GAF mostly that was the only place i genuinely enjoying reading off topic threads , learning lots of stuff political and otherwise from cool people. But if everyone is more comfortable with the split that had to happen, i wish the best for everyone, maybe latter i find a thread or two i like to post in 🤭
Be the change you want to see. Start topics you’d like to discuss. It’s always easier to reply to a thread than create a thread. I think you’d be surprised at the discussion you can cultivate if you take the first step.

I mean, I should apply that to myself as well.

DogofWar

Well deserved it seems. A few days since my account was founded and I am really enjoying it here. Amazingly good for gaming-related news and fun off-topic section too. Not a fully fledged member yet so I don't visit the politics-part that much yet but the fact that there actually seems to be discussions there and not just back-patting is a great sign of a healthy community.

New user here. When I wanted to participate in gaming discussion, it was either Resetera or Neogaf. When I tried to make a Resetera account, they wouldn't take gmail accounts. I sure as hell wouldn't give them my school/work email with my name on it, because I don't trust their admin/privacy settings to not be able to dox people for wrong views. You guys seem chill.

Airola

You're absolutely right, but I think the point of what Raonak Raonak is saying is that you unfortunately end up with the majority of opinions being the same. I don't even venture outside of Gaming because that's not what I'm here for, but the same people from OT are posting in Gaming, and you see the same views coming over. Especially with how politically charged things can be. I don't even engage with a lot of that because the way the views are presented are rarely presented in a way that doesn't invite discourse and an exchange of ideas, rather the "Go back to Era" attitude which, while far less extreme than the internet activism nonetheless exclusionary in its approach, and no one learns anything when you have that.

I do wish there was less "Here's what some people said on Twitter" threads. I'm not into celebrity gossip elsewhere, and it's no more wanted here.

Still, all of that encompasses far less of the forum than would be necessary for me to want to leave, and I'm pleased that GAF is on the up and up.

Yeah it's not good to feel like you have to walk on eggshells no matter which "side" you are on, and honestly sometimes there is a bit of that here too - people feeling they have to give a bit in to the majority opinions to be able to say what they want to say. Before the exodus that was at its worst here, and you actually were in danger to be banned if you didn't construct your dissenting opinions correctly. Gladly that's not really happening here anymore as far as what comes to banning people, but the knee jerk "go back to era" attitude can make people feel like they aren't really free to say what's on their minds at times. So yeah, I hear you.

I think the impressions of "majority of opinions being the same" is overblown and naive. Take it from a shut-in like me who spends hours on this site while bored at work.

Most people will unconsciously amplify any weirdness they see, any errant signals. Your eyes do this involuntarily if you see a weird online ad. People are drawn to controversy and to opinions that rile up. If you don't think people flock to topics that anger them, you haven't seen social media.

So while GAF shows a great breadth of posters and opinions and personal experiences, we also have users who casually glance over the site and come to a conclusion based on their own paradigm. They see a landscape of different opinions -- some of them very different, some of them carrying labels like "toxic" -- and it scares the best of us. That is human nature.

Drawing the conclusion that GAF is an echo-chamber can only be done in a naive echo chamber, ironically. Sometimes the light is too bright for people who lived in a basement, so they shriek and insist something must be wrong with the ozone layer.

And I am making the assumption that any of this is in good faith. We've also regularly had trolls and zealots stop by to preach at us and call GAF an echo chamber (and worse) just to see if GAFers will stand up for themselves. Thankfully that sort of community-sapping behavior gets culled by the mods but it still happens on a regular basis (just read the ban page).

Ornlu

Banned
Yeah it's not good to feel like you have to walk on eggshells no matter which "side" you are on, and honestly sometimes there is a bit of that here too - people feeling they have to give a bit in to the majority opinions to be able to say what they want to say. Before the exodus that was at its worst here, and you actually were in danger to be banned if you didn't construct your dissenting opinions correctly. Gladly that's not really happening here anymore as far as what comes to banning people, but the knee jerk "go back to era" attitude can make people feel like they aren't really free to say what's on their minds at times. So yeah, I hear you.

I hear what you're saying; I just don't think "being laughed at for expressing your views that aren't popular" is the same as "Instantly banned for expressing wrongthink", which is what happens at era.

MrRogers

Ive noticed the uptick in new posts/members, much busier around these parts. i appreciate you and the mods letting my right wing nationalist ass stick around these parts. On old gaf i wouldve been gone without packing after my 3rd post.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Regarding politics, there can be a lot of right wing conspiracy discussion in the politics section but I don't think it's that hard to go "wow that's nonsense" and then immediately carry on with my day.

Putting the impetus on the poster to cipher the difference between fact and fiction is how a discussion board should be ran. The alternative is setting up moderation to be some kind of "Ministry of Truth" that gets to determine what is real and what is fake. In an internet full of knee jerk reactions and incomplete news stories, it's an impossible task at best and bullshit censorship at worst.

That said, I think it's mistake to believe that there aren't liberals or Democrats posting here. But if you're a particular kind of progressive that needs to have a highly curated echo chamber that targets microaggressions of all shapes and sizes, tone polices, and eliminates "dismissive" commentary - then yeah you're probably going to have a bad time here.

Astral Dog

I hear what you're saying; I just don't think "being laughed at for expressing your views that aren't popular" is the same as "Instantly banned for expressing wrongthink", which is what happens at era.
Maybe EHuntingon s right i should give a shot at new GAF and see what happens, i do appreciate the banning isn't as extreme and all that

cormack12

Gold Member

I understand how this is arrived at but I think this is a combination of two things. The people left who are liberal or left on here don't build their identity around it so they may post a few times in the odd thread but they generally steer clear of every thread because it's not that important. Gaf now has become one of the few places where insanity hasn't prevailed at the moment. Everything from twitter and reddit to patreons are silencing people who just have a contrary point of view that isnt rooted in virtue signalling, but realism. At times this comes off as morally ambiguous or not the 'right' answer or diminishes 'support for the cause', but it removes all wiggle room for actuall conversation and debate.

It stands to reason then that when people find a place with that outlet, and the 'other side' is more apathetic then there will be more talking points around those issues. It doesn't speak to gaf's general leaning at all. I think you'll find a unified cynicism against insincere games journalism, hypocrisy and the constant onslaught of identity politics etc. though. Contrary to popular belief this doesn't mean alt-right, *ism, *phobic etc.

Moogle11

Banned
EDIT: Is there any way to just disable/turn off the politics section?
any time I try browsing outside the gaming areas, I realise how much of a scary echo-chamber this place is. It's like a reverse-era.

Yep. Since you have member status you can ignore threads and can ignore the Communities and Politics forums here. There's an "Ignore Forum" button at the top of those two. I hid politics so threads don't show up searches, the news feed etc. as I just have zero interest in discussing politics online. I don't care about which way a forum leans, though being pretty far left of course more conservative stuff is more annoying to me, as I have no interest in discussion politics with like minded people or people with opposing views. No minds are getting changed either way, and the older I've got I really just stopped giving shit about others opinions and views or trying to change them. I vote, sometimes write my representatives and donate. That's far more productive, if still miniscule in impact, than arguing politics with randos online.

My only gripe with Gaf is the gaming side still isn't great for me as there are way more threads with people arguing specs, sales and other console warrior/fanboy nonsense than there are people just positively chatting about the games they're playing. Some major releases like FF7R get pretty active OTs, but most things don't. Even as huge as Animal Crossing has been, it's thread has been pretty slow and mostly people just sharing videos or screenshots with no active trading or turnip selling community etc. It just is what it is as it takes a huge community for that and the numbers, while improved dramatically, just aren't there yet. Also, the game OT crowd left and most of them are probably still at Era as OTs are still super active over there and the people that just want to talk about the games they are playing don't get into any of the political/social issue chaos threads. I don't miss that site, but I do miss those active OTs and that the console warring was moderated more harshly there. None of that's worth the echo chamber moderation of anything not perfectly in line with their extreme leftist views--and I say that as some one whose very far left and has even less patience or regard for conservative viewpoints.

It just is what it is. Traditional forums are dinosaurs and there just aren't enough of us 30-40+ gamers who prefer this format to Reddit, Discord, Twitter etc. that got most of the younger generations of gamers. The days of having several super active forum options to find the one that best fit you and was well enough moderated to limit the trolling and fanboy nonsense that ruins gaming forums are long since over. It's pretty much Era and here in terms of traditional format gaming forums that are actively moderated and have enough activity to be worthwhile. It's slim pickings on places to just shoot the shit about games you're playing and not have to wade through mountains of SJW/anti-SJW bullshit and even bigger piles of console warrior/fanboy nonsense. Best you can do is find which site is more tolerable to you and make heavy use of ignore thread and user features to make it easier to find and focus on the slower game discussion threads that are less often on the first page otherwise.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I understand how this is arrived at but I think this is a combination of two things. The people left who are liberal or left on here don't build their identity around it so they may post a few times in the odd thread but they generally steer clear of every thread because it's not that important.

Definitely the case for me. I wasted too much time in my younger and dumber days arguing politics online, especially the politics forum on Cheapassgamer.com back when that site was super active. So much waste time and energy just getting annoyed and literally no one every changing their mind on either side, and even more pathetic wasting that time discussing politics on a gaming site.

I've largely stayed out of it since and bolted from Era as the gaming side is far more infested with with political/social justice stuff than the gaming side here is with political stuff from either side. Yeah, there's some annoying (to me) stuff like the "forced diversity" nonsense about Sony's reveal, people call Neil Druckmann "Cuckmann" or tossing "cuck" and "SJW" around. But it's fewer people here and it's way easier to put the extreme people who post that nonsense (lazy drive buys with buzz words etc.) on ignore and mostly focus on gaming, while it's impossible to ignore all the extremists calling everything nazi, racist, sexist etc. on Era. The only problem here is the prevalence of console warring nonsense, but hopefully that will slowly get better as the mods started cracking down on it and it usually levels out some after next gen consoles are out a while.

Soodanim

I think the impressions of "majority of opinions being the same" is overblown and naive. Take it from a shut-in like me who spends hours on this site while bored at work.

Most people will unconsciously amplify any weirdness they see, any errant signals. Your eyes do this involuntarily if you see a weird online ad. People are drawn to controversy and to opinions that rile up. If you don't think people flock to topics that anger them, you haven't seen social media.

So while GAF shows a great breadth of posters and opinions and personal experiences, we also have users who casually glance over the site and come to a conclusion based on their own paradigm. They see a landscape of different opinions -- some of them very different, some of them carrying labels like "toxic" -- and it scares the best of us. That is human nature.

Drawing the conclusion that GAF is an echo-chamber can only be done in a naive echo chamber, ironically. Sometimes the light is too bright for people who lived in a basement, so they shriek and insist something must be wrong with the ozone layer.

And I am making the assumption that any of this is in good faith. We've also regularly had trolls and zealots stop by to preach at us and call GAF an echo chamber (and worse) just to see if GAFers will stand up for themselves. Thankfully that sort of community-sapping behavior gets culled by the mods but it still happens on a regular basis (just read the ban page).
You're not wrong. I want clarify that the context of "Majority of opinions" is someone that only goes to Gaming side and sees more "Neil Cuckman" sentiment than the opposite. But it's also important to point out, as you say, the errant signals. I'm noticing what I'm not here for. I don't even usually bring this sort of thing up, but I like to weigh in if I feel a point is under-represented or missed somewhat.

I understand how this is arrived at but I think this is a combination of two things. The people left who are liberal or left on here don't build their identity around it so they may post a few times in the odd thread but they generally steer clear of every thread because it's not that important. Gaf now has become one of the few places where insanity hasn't prevailed at the moment. Everything from twitter and reddit to patreons are silencing people who just have a contrary point of view that isnt rooted in virtue signalling, but realism. At times this comes off as morally ambiguous or not the 'right' answer or diminishes 'support for the cause', but it removes all wiggle room for actuall conversation and debate.

It stands to reason then that when people find a place with that outlet, and the 'other side' is more apathetic then there will be more talking points around those issues. It doesn't speak to gaf's general leaning at all. I think you'll find a unified cynicism against insincere games journalism, hypocrisy and the constant onslaught of identity politics etc. though. Contrary to popular belief this doesn't mean alt-right, *ism, *phobic etc.
I'm glad I caught this before I submitted the post, because you're absolutely right. Especially about steering clear. I've been internet-ing for 20 years, and I'm past the wasted effort of attempting to counter a point if they seem like either an angry teenager or a troll.

But as much as I enjoy a discussion about the nature of the discussion (that's not sarcasm), I want to steer it back to the original and most important point - this place has restored and improved its worth in the gaming space. I remember after the explosion when people were hunting down those that still posted on GAF and didn't go to Era. Hell, I think for not explicitly stating a overwhelmingly neo-liberal stance in this short discussion I'd likely be banned over there.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
But as much as I enjoy a discussion about the nature of the discussion (that's not sarcasm), I want to steer it back to the original and most important point - this place has restored and improved its worth in the gaming space. I remember after the explosion when people were hunting down those that still posted on GAF and didn't go to Era. Hell, I think for not explicitly stating a overwhelmingly neo-liberal stance in this short discussion I'd likely be banned over there.

I think you might be behind the loop because neo-liberal is now a pejorative term used by their leftist base.

It's safer to post something praising actual leftism and Marxist/collectivist (especially minority backed collectivism) theory if you're trying to not get banned.

Moogle11

Banned
I'm glad I caught this before I submitted the post, because you're absolutely right. Especially about steering clear. I've been internet-ing for 20 years, and I'm past the wasted effort of attempting to counter a point if they seem like either an angry teenager or a troll.

Agreed. No good comes of arguing with people who are clearly just trying to troll, rile people up, shill for their favorite plastic box making company, or push their political viewpoints on others. No one gives an inch, it often just puts me in a worse mode and when a back and forth breaks out it often pulls threads off topic, devolves into insults and creates headaches for the mods.

Note I'm not talking about actual civil debates where people are discussing things calmly, rationally and with facts or at least reasonably stated opinions, but rather that flame wars and heated, biased arguments that dominate discourse online and off these days. I've been a lot healthier and happier since I disengaged from that stuff on forums, social media and real world discussions.

hemo memo

Gold Member
There’s a great group of people here. Lots of differing views but for the most part everyone here respects each other which you can’t say about other forums or reddit. Especially if you have a different view point. I’ve rarely if ever seen dog piling.

This is key. You shouldn’t be banned because your view differ from who’s in control. You should have an open mind and opinions should be heard if said in a respectful manner. That’s why this is the best time to be on GAF.

HF2014

Coming back in!! But question about site configuration, is there a way to hide the pictures , videos? Using on mobile, want to save some data, the other site have this option.

Psittacine

Neo Member
The other place is just so exhausting. It really is frustrating when you have to spend five times longer typing out a reply because you have to make damn sure you won't post something that incurs the wrath of the infallible mods.

The soles of my feet are almost permanently indented from all the eggshell walking at this point. The tragedy being, it's almost never over anything political.

"Echo chamber" is merely a yet another term for tribalism. You might think it's scary but that's just how humans have always worked. People who think alike tend to naturally group together. We instinctively form tribes.

I do think, though, that GAF should have a Gaming Politics forum. I hate seeing political threads in Gaming. This forum should be free from that crap since it ruins the mood and the fun.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Coming back in!! But question about site configuration, is there a way to hide the pictures , videos? Using on mobile, want to save some data, the other site have this option.
There is an option in your preferences to set avatars to "none", which will hide them. I don't think there's an option to hide any other images though.

Moogle11

Banned
I do think, though, that GAF should have a Gaming Politics forum. I hate seeing political threads in Gaming. This forum should be free from that crap since it ruins the mood and the fun.

Yep. I’ve said elsewhere that it would be nice to have a subforum that was just game OTs, preview threads, review threads etc. with the political stuff and console warring stuff (threads on specs, sales numbers etc.) in another subforum.

That said, I get that traffic might never be high enough to allow splitting discussion too many ways. I just miss the old days where forums like Cheapassgamer, DVDtalk, Bluray.com etc. had a lot of specific subforums so each platform could have its own area to limit console warring etc. Traffic has died off on all those types of sites ages ago though and now they’re ghost towns with few posts and the remaining discussion is spread across a bunch of sub forums still and most have one or two morons that post a lot and ruin what little discussion remains.

So I’ve just accepted that my personal golden age of online discussions is years in the past since I don’t like social media, Reddit, Discord etc. I’m happy to at least have here to find game news and chat about games sometimes without being driven completely crazy like I was on Era and other places even if I’ll never post as much or enjoy it as much as I did back in the day.

Moogle11

Banned
Regarding a Gaming Politics section, it's a possibility down the road but it's not presently the time to divide activity across more sections.

Perfectly understandable. If you ever do any new splits, it could possibly help to kill Communities and have the gaming threads in gaming and the others in off topic. The communities sub is pretty dead outside of a couple threads and some of the active gaming OTs over there like Destiny 2’s or the “backlog only” one would at least be more people taking about playing games on the gaming side to help balance out the console war/next gen type threads.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The reaction system is definitely a factor in the amount of overall posts being lower, but I love having it. Shoutout to the Next-gen Thread, that thing is a monster with 114K posts and 8 million views. I really love taking part in the Giveaways. It's exciting to win, but feels even better to give and have somebody show you love when they win. I wish I had more time to post and make gifs, but this time of year is busy for me.

Overall, I'm just thankful to be part of this community, where we can first and foremost be gamers. One love!

OutRun88

I used to lurk dating back to the 2000s. I stopped sometime in the mid 2010s when the site was turning into a hivemind echo chamber and my interest in gaming diminished, slightly prior to the ResetEra/NeoGaf split.

After a few years my interest in games has rekindled. I was pretty excited to lurk ResetEra only to find out it was an ever worse version of the NeoGaf I gladly stopped visiting years prior.

NeoGaf now is a much better representation of where it was 15 years ago (in good ways), even though the gaming industry has totally went somewhere else. Here's to hoping the site can maintain this as the user base continues to grow.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Translation: People have opinions I don't like and now that I am in the minority, this place is an echo chamber.

Sorry if that isn't the case, but that is how you are coming across. GAF is far removed from being an echo chamber as we have constant disagreements and a wide breadth of opinions that are openly allowed by moderation and the community (unless you are purposefully being a dick with opinions and relying on constant insults).

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member

I RARELY go into off topic. Even after the Hale Bop Comet departures.

tenor.gif

I'm here to have fun talking and being excited about video games. Plain and simple. I'd feel lost without a great place like this to talk about
video games without agendas being shoved down my throat.

Top Bottom