• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is heating up!

Komatsu

EviLore EviLore - quick question, if I may, since we're talking of OTs: any chance we could get GOG and the Epic Store added to the "insert media" applet within BBCode? I'd like to provide additional storefronts for most games other than Steam.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore EviLore - quick question, if I may, since we're talking of OTs: any chance we could get GOG and the Epic Store added to the "insert media" applet within BBCode? I'd like to provide additional storefronts for most games other than Steam.

What are you looking to directly insert from those sites specifically?

Komatsu

What are you looking to directly insert from those sites specifically?

Something along these lines, which we already have when it comes to Steam:

Name of the game, price, and a link to the storefront. So this way we could link to every storefront at the end of the OT. In a couple of OT's of mine, I manually created banners for Epic, HumbleBundle, PS Store, etc., but it'd be nice to have it for other storefronts as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Something along these lines, which we already have when it comes to Steam:

Name of the game, price, and a link to the storefront. So this way we could link to every storefront at the end of the OT. In a couple of OT's of mine, I manually created banners for Epic, HumbleBundle, PS Store, etc., but it'd be nice to have it for other storefronts as well.

Roger, I'll look into it.

notseqi

There are probably a ton of people waiting for access, why not give them something to work with?
Is there, apart from the general idea that everybody is allowed to partake, some kind of text to explain what is going on?

'Dear people from Resetera, we welcome you to the forum born from gaming that spawned another forum. We welcome discussion and dissent, as long as it's done in a civil manner and is pertaining to the topic. There are no repercussions as to what you are saying but be reminded that others are free to reply or react to what you are saying. We don't condone mindless hate or bigotry but there is an allowance to voicing upright concerns . Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, deal with it in the form you wish to - ignore, rebuke, inform. Strong arguments will prevail. Give it a try.'

Just an idea but I'd like to know that people are not actively alienated.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There are probably a ton of people waiting for access, why not give them something to work with?
Is there, apart from the general idea that everybody is allowed to partake, some kind of text to explain what is going on?

'Dear people from Resetera, we welcome you to the forum born from gaming that spawned another forum. We welcome discussion and dissent, as long as it's done in a civil manner and is pertaining to the topic. There are no repercussions as to what you are saying but be reminded that others are free to reply or react to what you are saying. We don't condone mindless hate or bigotry but there is an allowance to voicing upright concerns . Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, deal with it in the form you wish to - ignore, rebuke, inform. Strong arguments will prevail. Give it a try.'

Just an idea but I'd like to know that people are not actively alienated.

NeoGAF is the original with a 20+ year history. Reset is our insane asylum that has only existed for two years and change. The people who left know the choices they made and don’t need that explanation. New people can observe and choose the forum they prefer.

Day to day community outcomes tell the tale sufficiently.

notseqi

NeoGAF is the original with a 20+ year history. Reset is our insane asylum that has only existed for two years and change. The people who left know the choices they made and don’t need that explanation. New people can observe and choose the forum they prefer.

I was arguing for new people and some of those that are thinking about coming back, I catch your drift though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was arguing for new people and some of those that are thinking about coming back, I catch your drift though.

That’s reasonable, yeah. I’ll see if there are any avenues to spruce up user onboarding and better convey our mission statement.

so_say_we_all1.gif

EviLore EviLore , it's getting hectic here.

I'm seeing an influx of Neo members everywhere!
Congrats!
Do numbers support my impression?

(Incidentally, what's the difference between Neo, Neophyte and Junior status?)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore EviLore , it's getting hectic here.

I'm seeing an influx of Neo members everywhere!
Congrats!
Do numbers support my impression?

(Incidentally, what's the difference between Neo, Neophyte and Junior status?)

Numbers continue to increase, yeah. Combination of network effects, a positive and functional environment, and the new console gen hype train.

Junior Member status was retired on our new system in part because of its use as a derogatory term, and because a few of the ex-mods abused their power to frivolously permaban people under the pretense that they were Juniors. Given the fresh start for the community, we decided to change up that dynamic. Neophytes are brand new users who we filter the first one or two posts into a manual approval queue to prevent spammers and nutjobs from joining. After that, you're moved into Neo Member, which allows replies and PMs but not starting new threads or voting on polls. After 50 posts and one month since registration, you're upgraded to full Member.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Numbers continue to increase, yeah. Combination of network effects, a positive and functional environment, and the new console gen hype train.

Junior Member status was retired on our new system in part because of its use as a derogatory term, and because a few of the ex-mods abused their power to frivolously permaban people under the pretense that they were Juniors. Given the fresh start for the community, we decided to change up that dynamic. Neophytes are brand new users who we filter the first one or two posts into a manual approval queue to prevent spammers and nutjobs from joining. After that, you're moved into Neo Member, which allows replies and PMs but not starting new threads or voting on polls. After 50 posts and one month since registration, you're upgraded to full Member.

Hope you continue to manage the forum and keep it healthy!

Really happy to be part of this community! EviLore I fell in love with your world traveling topic from back in the day and I kept coming back for all the updates. I still can't belive you witnessed the running with the bulls :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thank you for keeping NeoGaf the best gaming community around!

Riozel

Neo Member
Good to see the site is doing well, I've been on and off lurking for like 10+ years, I could never register since my ISP only offers generic emails and I guess it ends up looking like a free one. Same thing happened on the other forum, only now that the restriction was lifted off could I join. I assume many other people are in the same spot, I get that it's a necessity to have these filters sometimes but not gonna lie it kind of sucks when you have no ulterior motives and you just wanna comment every now and then on some silly video games centric forum.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hope you continue to manage the forum and keep it healthy!

Of course, yeah. I’m not going anywhere as long as there’s interest in GAF.

Really happy to be part of this community! EviLore I fell in love with your world traveling topic from back in the day and I kept coming back for all the updates. I still can't belive you witnessed the running with the bulls :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thank you for keeping NeoGaf the best gaming community around!

Cheers bud! Yeah, doing the running of the bulls was wild, and so many other unforgettable memories. Glad you enjoyed the travelogue. Life is short, go on adventures. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Aesius

Started lurking GAF in 2007, registered in 2009, and bailed on the site in 2015 or so. Slowly got back in the fold over the past few months. I like it better than even its ~2009 self, to be honest. It's a little less busy but I think the discussions are better and there are fewer attention whore posters than back then. And of course, it goes without saying that it's miles better than it was when a few certain mods and "power users" dominated any and all conversations.

notseqi

Started lurking GAF in 2007, registered in 2009, and bailed on the site in 2015 or so. Slowly got back in the fold over the past few months. I like it better than even its ~2009 self, to be honest. It's a little less busy but I think the discussions are better and there are fewer attention whore posters than back then. And of course, it goes without saying that it's miles better than it was when a few certain mods and "power users" dominated any and all conversations.
I get you, that Billy Mays selling all the OrangeGlo really is one loud, annoying wankster.

Hugare

Been lurking since 2008 or so, but only registered in 2018

Witnessed the Dawn of Gaf, got shook by it, because this forum was my beacon for gaming news

Went to the other place, and there I stayed until getting banned recently

Then I came back here and realised imediately how much I missed this place

The hive mentality in the other place is real. Here everyone talks live individuals with their own brains.

There's a lot of edgy users that werent here before, but overral, feels so good to be back

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can say I have the highest respect for you, EviLore EviLore for powering through what must have been the hardest time of your life through pure strength and endurance... and rebuilding this forum into something better than it was before.

Cheers SM. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: It's been a challenge, but a worthwhile one, seeing the healthy, positive, and fun vibes out of GAF now.

Freeman76

A few of them are good people. Just misguided.
They will come back.

I really hope they don't. A few is being generous, that place is easily the worst forum of any I have ever come across. For every good person on there you have 100 dphex or leng jai types. GAF is better for them all leaving, but now we are getting more traffic these guys need to be careful it doesnt turn back into the shitty echochamber it was before they all left!

1000+ members on a random day is impressive. I remember a year or so ago when cracking 400 was "busy". Aside from the usercount, the front pages of gaming and OT moves pretty swiftly while also avoiding too many slide threads / spam / console warring 🍯s.

Happy to be a part of the trashfire of freethinkers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can we get page navigation on the top of the page, too? It’s a pain on mobile to flick down to navigate a thread’s pages EviLore EviLore

Bigger ask: Image handling sucks on mobile. Would be cool to just tap and hold to copy an image instead of this pop up image screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom