• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2013 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
My top 3 in the top 3. Thats cool. Last year was pretty good for movies. Kudos and good work OP!

her.gif

Let me fix that for you.

Let me fix that for both of you

0Q92gXX.jpg

Ashes

Banned
We're getting better with these lists. Would be nice to see more non-english films. Though that isn't taking away from Gravity, which was my film of the year.

sn00zer

Saw prisoners and thought it was 'okay'...... called the story almost immediately PRISONERS SPOILER
The dead guy in the basement being her husband and that they were both involved in kidnapping
which made the movie kind of unenjoyable

UberTag

Saw prisoners and thought it was 'okay'...... called the story almost immediately PRISONERS SPOILER
The dead guy in the basement being her husband and that they were both involved in kidnapping
which made the movie kind of unenjoyable
Yeah, some of the hokey plot decisions really undercut the strengths of the film (namely Jackman's performance and the cinematography).

There was a better film directed by a Canadian last year - and, amazingly enough, the Academy came through in recognizing it while GAF failed.
And that movie was Dallas Buyers Club.

inm8num2

I really enjoyed Gravity and have it around 15-20 in my year end list. Lovely visuals and great direction, but hampered by the dialogue, Hollywood cheese, and Clooney's Clooning feeling out of place.

daw840

Man...I must both have horrible tastes and everyone I know has horrible tastes. I can't believe Gravity won. I thought that movie was just a step up from awful. It was visually amazing but I thought the actual plot was terribad. IDK....

rdrr gnr

Man of Steel.

Gouge out their eyes. Not worthy.

I only liked 4 of the top 10. Meh. Gravity was horrendous. A Hijacking > Captain Philips.

Vesmir

Banned
Man...I must both have horrible tastes and everyone I know has horrible tastes. I can't believe Gravity won. I thought that movie was just a step up from awful. It was visually amazing but I thought the actual plot was terribad. IDK....

image.php

Not bad. I can live with Before Midnight being #5. How in the hell The Hobbit made #11 is beyond me. Worst movie I saw last year by a long shot. Frances Ha should have gotten higher too. :(

There's a bunch I still need to see from last year though, so I'll use this list to catch up.

Even Sharknado?

Sharknado has two great lines, the rest wasn't even so good it's bad.

Jarnet87

I don't think The World's End should be here. This Is The End was a better comedy IMO. World's End was a major disappointment, way below Hot Fuzz, and not even worth putting in the same sentence as Shaun.

Ridley327

I don't think The World's End should be here. This Is The End was a better comedy IMO. World's End was a major disappointment, way below Hot Fuzz, and not even worth putting in the same sentence as Shaun.

You do know that this was voted on by users on this site, right? Users who probably don't share that opinion at all?

mud felt like a last year movie to me.. guess its been a while

i think its a much better movie than dallas buyers club tho.. maybe not the more showy performance

Best movie of the year actually came first? Not bad.

Before Midnight is not #1...

and at least the real Scorsese movie is above the fake one. Pretty interesting results with HER being number 2.

I didn't see Francis Ha and I probably wouldn't like it if I did, but god bless each and every one of you who voted for it.

Friend,

watch Frances Ha just so you can hear the saddest line in the history of cinema.

Ridley327

The Congress totally flew under my radar. Need to check that out ASAP. Big fan of Waltz with Bashir interested to see what that director can do

To be fair, it's not seeing any kind of major release in the US until a little later this year when Drafthouse puts it out. I'm not even sure it's even had a wide release in Europe yet.

bomma_man

No superheroes??! I'm so proud.

Although Gravity was pretty weightless outside the visuals, it certainly wouldn't be in my top ten.

The lack of Mud is disturbing. Both in this thread, and the academy awards.

I loved that movie so much, and reminds me another movie I loved The Place Beyond The Pines got forgotten as well :(

But overall this is a list I can mostly agree with
(Not Gravity, that movie was pure eye candy, zero substance)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Frances Ha was pretty disappointing to me. For someone whose a sucker for those kind of films and loves Woody Allen. Just felt like a forgettable affair, and I felt the main character was more irritating than endearing.

Ashes

Banned
I loved that movie so much, and reminds me another movie I loved The Place Beyond The Pines got forgotten as well :(

But overall this is a list I can mostly agree with
(Not Gravity, that movie was pure eye candy, zero substance)

I don't know. Two years in a row we have a film with a female lead. That is of some substance I'd say.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was last year a record for most divisive films?

Off the top of my head Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, Lone Ranger all had pretty strong love it/hate it types of reactions with not much in the middle.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're forgetting The Hobbit
(and American Hustle)

The Hobbit was the worst movie I saw last year, and I saw a lot.
But I'll probably end up buying it at some point, maybe not until 4k HFR 3D in homes but still. Kill me, please.
Actually the worst was Don't Go Into The Woods, but that was a 2010 release.

Was last year a record for most divisive films?

Off the top of my head Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, Lone Ranger all had pretty strong love it/hate it types of reactions with not much in the middle.

Iron Man 3 was right in the middle for me, but the rest... yeah.

chessnut

aw man, I wish I had voted for this. Nebraska is my favorite movie of this year.

I don't get the hype behind Gravity >.<

Frances Ha was pretty disappointing to me. For someone whose a sucker for those kind of films and loves Woody Allen. Just felt like a forgettable affair, and I felt the main character was more irritating than endearing.
I like it partly because it is (sadly) refreshing to see a film focused on the friendship between two women, let alone a good one.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I like it partly because it is (sadly) refreshing to see a film focused on the friendship between two women, let alone a good one.
Well yeah that aspect alone is why the film gets at least 3-3 1/2 stars from me alone. It was genuinely well-done.

Also it passed the bechel test with flying colours that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom