• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2013 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

I saw it. It had some decent cinematography but I didn't care much for the 3-act structure of the narrative as the last two really couldn't stand up on their own. Especially the third act with the two sons all grown up and the whole vendetta angle (especially seeing how the kid who held the grudge seemed to have a pretty stable home life).

The film was also a little too literal for my liking. It left nothing open to interpretation as almost all of the lead actors were open books. The acting was solid and there was an overriding sense of tragic loss about everything but it left nothing open to interpretation. The dialogue wasn't exactly inspired, either - but I'll give that a pass as none of these characters were intellectuals.

I agree that the third act was not as strong as the first two. That said, all of DeHaan's character's development happens there and is critical to completing the overall story arc.

But why is there a requirement for such a film to leave something up to interpretation? I think that's wishy washy, weak storytelling.. maybe appropriate for mysteries. I thought the clear theme of the movie was exploring destiny. It did - successfully - invite the audience to reflect on the power of destiny (particularly the genetic/intrinsic compulsions that can be directly traced back to father), on the hold that it has on our lives and the influence it may have on the course directions we choose.

I thought it was really good. Well told. Well acted.

I think when I look back on last year it'll be the year that gave us Gravity, The Way Way Back, At The Worlds End, Desolation of Smaug, and The Place Beyond The Pines. Not necessarily all great movies (DoS), but the ones that best defined the year as a whole - for me.

breakfuss

Blue is the Warmest Color is available on netflix now. That got thrown around quite a bit in the voting thread so I'm anxious to check it out.

injurai

Banned
I didn't vote because so many of the good ones I still needed to see.

That being said, Prisoners was really really good. Reminded me of Horsemen but order of magnitudes better.

I didn't even vote this year. I'll do better for 2014.

I thought you were warming up for your final ban...

Captain Phillips (i guess it got 10th?, but still...... come on people!) and The Place Beyond the Pines (the latter of which even I am guilty of ignoring... I didn't see it till recently) are superior films in ever right but clearly no one saw The Place Beyond the Pines last year...

I saw it and thought it was really good and had a great first act, not as great but still really good second act, and a simply OK third act (this one dragged it a down a little). If I had done a full top ten list it probably would have made it, but I forgot which films I had seen so I just voted for Before Midnight and called it a day. :p I actually should have voted for To the Wonder and Frances Ha as well.

UberTag

I would have thought Wolf of Wallstreet was the favorite.
You would have thought wrong on that, I'm afraid.
The Wolf's only legit shot at Oscar gold on Sunday is if McConaughey and Ejiofor split votes and allow Leo to sneak through the middle to win Best Actor.
I don't believe that will happen but it's within the realm of possibility.
The Wolf of Wall Street has virtually no chance in all other categories (Picture, Screenplay, Direction, Supporting Actor).

Jacob

I didn't see enough movies this year to cast a meaningful vote, but I wanted to update my little number-crunching project from last year.

First, I looked back over the Top 10 from each of GAF's best movie polls going back to 2007...

2007: No Country For Old Men
2008: The Dark Knight
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: Inception
2011: Drive
2012: Django Unchained

...then I added in the numbers from this year's poll, using the same #1 = 10 points, #2 = 9 points, etc. formula used in determining the annual winners. This year saw a little bit of shifting around but did not change the top three, despite none of them appearing on this year's results.

01. Christopher Nolan 27 (The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises)
02. David Fincher 24 (Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
03. Quentin Tarantino 20 (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained)
04. Coen Brothers 19 (No Country For Old Men, True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis)
05. Edgar Wright 16 (Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End)
06. Darren Aronofsky 15 (The Wrestler, Black Swan)
07. Paul Thomas Anderson 13 (There Will Be Blood, The Master)
--. Martin Scorcese 13 (Hugo, The Wolf of Wall Street)
09. Nicolas Winding Refn 10 (Drive)
--. Alfonso Cuaron 10 (Gravity)

Unlike last year, all of the directors on this list have either topped the poll one year or have had films appear on the list in multiple years. However, there are also four directors who have had multiple films show up in GAF's Top 10 without appearing high enough to get on the all-time list.

Paul Greengrass 8 (The Bourne Ultimatum, Captain Phillips)
Kathryn Bigelow 7 (The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty)
Jason Reitman 6 (Juno, Up in the Air)
Tomas Alfredson 4 (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

Thanks all for indulging me (again) and thanks especially to CFK for making this thread and helping me figure out what I need to watch to catch back up on movies. :)

Fjordson

Before Midnight cracking the top 5 is great.

And I like Gravity at #1. I know some people weren't enamored with it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Atrophis

I still have a lot of films I haven't seen (Her, Inside Llewyn Davis, 12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips, The Wolf of Wall Street), but out of what I did see The Act of Killing is number one followed by Gravity.

I don't think The World's End should be here. This Is The End was a better comedy IMO. World's End was a major disappointment, way below Hot Fuzz, and not even worth putting in the same sentence as Shaun.

If you like rape jokes and LOL CUM AND WEED bro-mania humor, sure. Not to say I didn't enjoy TitE, but World's End is an infinitely better crafted and more enjoyable (and rewatchable) film.

GamerJM

Banned
I still need to see Gravity. I get the feeling I'd like it but probably think it was overrated.

Regardless, Wolf of Wall Street was my movie of the year (at least out of what I saw), and that made top 3 so I'm pleased.

Also, personally I didn't really like the World's End. I thought This Is the End was better as a comedy and a pretty good movie, but it wasn't something I'd say is a favorite or anything. There wasn't a single comedy I saw that I loved last year.

As for Pacific Rim I liked it quite a bit. However as a fan of those sort of movies (mindless action films) I didn't really see what the big deal was and didn't think it was anything amazing. That being said it wasn't in the top 5 or anything so I think its placement is fine.

UberTag

I dare anyone to re-watch This is the End a second time and say it holds up well to repeat viewings.
Also, you must not be stoned OR baked during this re-watch or you automatically fail the challenge.

Fjordson

I dare anyone to re-watch This is the End a second time and say it holds up well to repeat viewings.
Also, you must not be stoned OR baked during this re-watch or you automatically fail the challenge.
I've rewatched it sober. It's still fine I think, but it was certainly a lesser experience outside the theater and I definitely enjoy The World's End more overall.

The World's End works a lot on repeat watches. There are so many details you'd miss, the audio commentaries are excellent, and the comedic timing in acting and editing is spot-on.

I laughed a lot during This Is The End but that was more down to the crazy things happening and once you know those second time around, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much.

jett

D-Member
This is the End is pure awful. Seth Rogen had a half-baked idea for a movie and invited his friends over to half-ass it.The end.

This is the End was pretty much what I assume the Grown Ups movies are like. I've been warned away from Grown Ups by everyone saying it's the worst thing ever, but nobody told me that the extent of the comedy in This is the End was "Weed! Penis!"

Aizo

Banned
I'm glad this thread was made. Because of it, I watched Her tonight. It's really deep, and it reminded me of a lot of things. I think this movie is making me think too much. I'm sure I'll feel normal in the morning.

big ander

I loved all aspects of TWE that focused on alcoholism & addiction.
It's just a shame they decided to abandon that concept 45 minutes in and tack on a stupid sci-fi killer robot / Bodysnatchers / end of the world storyline to it.

I don't think the body snatching stuff isn't tacked on at all, it's inexorably intertwined with Gary's addiction. Because it's not just about returning to your hometown and finding it's changed. it's about returning and realizing that all those booze-addled good memories you made there were actually shitty, shitty times where you hurt people and yourself and your addiction won't let you realize that.

RM8

Of that entire list I only saw Wolverine, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. I'm not even a fan of comics. I'm basically the Wii Fit mom of films, right?

It's definitely best the first time in the theater, but it holds up okay.
i could've done without the devil rape stuff, still

UberTag

I don't think the body snatching stuff isn't tacked on at all, it's inexorably intertwined with Gary's addiction. Because it's not just about returning to your hometown and finding it's changed. it's about returning and realizing that all those booze-addled good memories you made there were actually shitty, shitty times where you hurt people and yourself and your addiction won't let you realize that.
Are you saying the body snatching was needed to tell that story? Because, as I recall, that story was doing a pretty good job of being told before all of that nonsense started.

big ander

Are you saying the body snatching was needed to tell that story? Because, as I recall, that story was doing a pretty good job of being told before all of that nonsense started.

sorry but you just slipped into a different (and entirely vacant and futile) argument--I said the body snatching did tell that story well and gave it further dimensions. but now you're moving to an argument of "necessity" which is truly impossible to determine and not at all the same discussion. how does a movie ever "need" anything? you're calling the premise of the story into question and critiquing a completely different movie. especially problematic when you're talking sci-fi or horror or anything high concept. like, you could make a movie about the uncanny nature of the shopping mall and how it's a weight on US society without zombies, but that doesn't mean Dawn of the Dead shouldn't exist. you could make a movie about human nature's tendency towards violence and how deviance is treated in society without constructing a future where gangs roam the underbelly of a totalitarian England but I'm not about to ditch A Clockwork Orange. you could make a movie about perspective and virtual reality and new tech's abstraction of the body without writing a story about a complicated video game and terrorists trying to take it down but that doesn't invalidate eXistenZ.

short version: empty argument, you're not actually discussing the movie that exists anymore. would enjoy reading why you think the sci-fi elements fail at telling this specific story rather than useless undercutting of the premise wholesale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom