• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2013 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Congress totally flew under my radar. Need to check that out ASAP. Big fan of Waltz with Bashir interested to see what that director can do

It was pretty bad tho... I liked Bashir for the story and some of the art, but Congress has these live action scenes that look like a cheap TV movie, and the story feels unfinished; after a while it's very hard to feel involved with anything happening on the screen.

Concept17

I have not seen a single movie in the top 10.

To be fair I have little free time these days, and when I watch something, it's usually a tv show.

EDIT: Make that only 3 movies in the top 50. o_O

We actually had more votes this year; the most ever in a MOTY thread, I think. In fact, Before Midnight which is #5 this year would have been #2 last year. It beats Moonrise Kingdom by 1 point.

Django ate up a lot of the votes last year and was the only movie over 500 points. This year we have 4 over 500 and 2 over 600. Gravity is 99 points ahead of second place, Django was 363.

This year is the one with the most movies above ten points. While other years had some pretty strong numbers for the top movies, they drop off quickly as you go down the list; this year is more evenly distributed, I like that.

Minion101

Banned
I was going to see the movies recommended here but the "her" trailer makes it seem like a chick flick for men. Not sure if I should watch.

Reg

Banned
Surprisingly good list.

BOmlfEa.gif

overcast

Actually really good list. Haven't seen a few films I need to, but I'm surprised and pretty disappointed Frozen or Frances Ha didn't make the top 10. How the hell did Star Trek manage so well?

Actually, The Hobbit at 11 is pretty crazy.

Linius

I'm okay with this list. My complete top ten can be found amongst the thirty highest ranked movies of the list. And five of my top ten choices are also on the Gaf top ten. Take notice that I haven't seen Her and Before Sunrise yet in Gafs top ten and these two are most certainly cadidates for my personal top ten.

Amongst the 30 highest ranked movies Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Star Trek, Iron Man 3, This Is the End and Man of Steel stand out for me. The first two I feel like I would have put in my best thirty as well but just somewhere at the bottom. The other ones shouldn't be near the top 30. But overall a pretty solid list, good to see the top 10 isn't filled with the likes of Iron Man, Thor etc.

Das Ace

Wow, good work GAF.

Her, Inside Llewyn Davis, Wolf of Wall Street, and 12 Years a Slave all got top spots.

No Marvel and no DC.

and hopefully Wind Rises gets a better spot this year.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Great list, especially the top 4 (haven't seen Before Midnight yet). I probably wouldn't have it in that exact order, but that is nitpicking. I really feel that we are in a really good time for cinema.

That said, it is also an odd list for me personally. Most of the big hitters - 12 Years a Slave, Her, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis and Dallas Buyers Club are all 2014 releases for me. That such delays in release still exist is depressing.

Great to see Frances, Ha well represented on there. Really enjoyed that and it is quite underrated.

WJD

Wow, not a bad list. Much better than having the likes of TDKR in a top 5 anyway.

Though I am disappointed to see Dallas Buyers Club so low down.

mxgt

Banned
This list is a significant improvement over last years abomination

The lack of super hero movies anywhere near the top is so good.

Ridley327

This list is a significant improvement over last years abomination

The lack of super hero movies anywhere near the top is so good.

The moral of the story is keep hoping for more years filled with extremely divisive superhero films like Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, and The Wolverine, because people will be too busy bitching about them to remember to vote for them in high positions!

CassSept

The moral of the story is keep hoping for more years filled with extremely divisive superhero films like Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, and The Wolverine, because people will be too busy bitching about them to remember to vote for them in high positions!

TDKR was very divisive yet it managed to land in Top 5 last year. Honestly, last year's Top 5 is terrible. Probably helps that this year had so many fantastic movies.

Addi

Damn, forgot to vote!
Decent enough list I guess, didn't like Gravity that much, but it has an interesting form for a blockbuster. Still have to see 12 years a slave, Before Midnight and Inside Llewin Davis. I would have put Blue is the warmest color, The hunt and The act of killing further up :)

Burger

Surprised at The Worlds End. That movie was fucking awful.

I understand why Pacific Rim is up there, even if I didn't like it myself, but World End?!?! REALLY?!?

Ridley327

TDKR was very divisive yet it managed to land in Top 5 last year. Honestly, last year's Top 5 is terrible. Probably helps that this year had so many fantastic movies.
The cult of Nolan is so strong, strong enough to fool some into thinking TDKR wasn't an unqualified train wreck.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pacific Rim is 8?!? That movie was SHIT!!!

In your opinion. A lot of people absolutely loved Pacific Rim, including me. I'm glad to see it made the top ten. It may not be oscar worthy or Casablanca material, but it was well executed, fun, and did exactly what it set out to do and with style and pizzazz. More modern action movies should learn from Pacific Rim.

With the list overall, I honestly agree with it.

hal9001

Banned
Great work once again for compiling the lists OP. Slightly disappointing that The Place Beyond the pines and Spring Breakers didn't make the top 20 though. At least it better than last years list, well done for having better tastes Movie GAF.

Denzar

From a technical perspective, Gravity is one of the most impressive movies I've ever seen, but plot wise it's a pretentious, superficial attempt to hit some emotional notes. It's baffling to me why the big majority seems to be lyrical about this flick.

I would have loved to see Jagten (The Hunt) higher up in the rankings. Guess it being a non U.S. flick makes it harder to get exposed.

SMH @ people complaining about The World's End. That movie should've been higher if anything.

Solid list in any case. I don't agree with the order, but the selections are fair enough.

Dennis

Banned
Happy to see Prisoners get in the Top 10.

That was a surprisingly good and underrated movie.

Loved The Wolf of Wall Street so nice it got third place. And yeah, The Hunt should be higher.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The Hunt was my movie of the year (although it technically is a 2012 movie, but whatevs), so it's awesome to see it ranked relatively high.

UberTag

I count 3 non-English language film in the top 40 and none in the top 15. That's really disappointing.
The Hunt finished 13th, Blue is the Warmest Color finished 16th and have you seen this year's foreign film Oscar nominations? It wasn't that great of a year for foreign cinema. (The Great Beauty is pretentious. There, I said it.)

More people need to check out Like Father, Like Son.
Not to mention Best Animated Feature nominee, Ernest & Celestine. A more charming animated film you will not find.

Her? Really?

I thought it was a pretty bad movie. Still not sure why I saw it. I remember seeing the trailer in the theater and there was a lot of laughter, like wow that looks awful. It was pretty bad too. Waste of $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom