• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

UberTag

At least 4 of the games on this list were on last year's list so we should start predicting the delays now.
2014 (4 of the Top 10 / 7 of the Top 20 were delayed to 2015-17)

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. The Order: 1886
8. Persona 5
14. Tom Clancy's The Division
18. Halo 5
20. The Witness

2015 (4 of the Top 10 / 7 of the Top 20 were delayed to 2016-??)

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Persona 5
8. No Man's Sky
12. Rime
17. Star Fox Zero
18. Quantum Break

2016 (4 of the Top 10 / 6 of the Top 20 were delayed to 2017-??)

2. Persona 5
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
12. NieR: Automata
19. Scalebound

Now this year's list - by contrast - seems destined to hold up significantly by comparison thanks in large part to Nintendo's self-imposed media blackout, Sony's intentional teasing of games while no longer promising unrealistic release windows and Microsoft's overall lack of promising exclusives (at least within this community).

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo's prevailing focus on showcasing this title at last year's E3 indicates a clear resolution they intend to ship this game before June... although it may well miss the Switch launch.

2. Persona 5

This game has been out in Japan for 4 months already. Even with Atlus USA's recent stated release windows slipping for the localization, it would be ludicrous to think they'll slip much further. April 4th seems like a nice release window.

4. Red Dead Redemption 2

Rockstar's radio silence, track record of quality and absence of major releases since GTA V in September 2013 has earned them a guaranteed Top 10 placing for RDR2 until its release. Grand Theft Auto V only had a single delay within the release year back in 2013 so it would have only had a single opportunity to appear on one of these lists had they been running back then. They have a designed marketing cycle and don't tend to set dates they can't meet. And given that the RDR2 announcement trailer has even had some TV airtime, I'm not even comfortable saying that it's "likely" to miss the 2017 release window even if it is the "most likely" of the Top 10 outside of...

10. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

I'm pretty confident this game will be releasing in Japan in 2017... especially given the new footage showcased during the PlayStation Experience presser. That said, I'm less confident about it releasing outside of Japan in 2017. I suspect localization delays will bump it to next year.

So many people sleeping on For Honor...
I don't know if it's a case of "sleeping on For Honor" so much as 2017 being SO front-loaded with other games that it's getting lost in the shuffle amongst enthusiast gamers even if it could very well wind up as the best seller out of everything over the next three months given Ubisoft's inevitably successful marketing campaign. Their track record launching new IPs in mainstream appealing genres is second to none.

I'm pretty confident this game will be releasing in Japan in 2017... especially given the new footage showcased during the PlayStation Experience presser. That said, I'm less confident about it releasing outside of Japan in 2017. I suspect localization delays will bump it to next year.
I highly doubt they stagger the release of West considering it'll sell more over here most likely

I'd say you don't have to worry at all about NnK2 being behind the Japanese release in terms of localization. Here's the Japanese version of both trailers released so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NIDqQp4_PA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGN8Hx7WI3A

Note that the voices are in English in both trailers. I'm pretty damn sure that this game exists because of the western branch of NAMCO. The first game performed quite well over here and Hino said any sequel would hinge on just that. So, I can't see how the western version would trailer behind a Japanese release.

UberTag

I highly doubt they stagger the release of West considering it'll sell more over here most likely
I'd say you don't have to worry at all about NnK2 being behind the Japanese release in terms of localization. Here's the Japanese version of both trailers released so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NIDqQp4_PA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGN8Hx7WI3A

Note that the voices are in English in both trailers. I'm pretty damn sure that this game exists because of the western branch of NAMCO. The first game performed quite well over here and Hino said any sequel would hinge on just that. So, I can't see how the western version would trailer behind a Japanese release.
I hope you guys are right. It's true that console-exclusive releases are sent to die in Japan. But I would have said the same thing about Persona 5 and Atlus USA decided to dick around and take their time bringing it over.

It would be nice to have all of our most anticipated Top 10 make the 2017 release window. Although I have to imagine some of these games are going to cannibalize one another on the sales front no matter how good they turn out. Our wallets are only so big.

Incidentally, I know its votes were nullified here despite the recent reaffirmation of a 2017 release window in Japan, but how cool would it be to see a simultaneous worldwide release for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III? Incredibly unlikely given that Falcom doesn't localize their own games but man... that would be something.

Don't think my vote counted this year as I never got a chance to add at least one comment to my post. Still...

My vote|Where it actually ended up:

Persona 5 - 1 > 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2 > 1
Horizon: Zero Dawn - 3 > 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda - 4 > 5
Gravity Rush 2 - 5 > 9
Detroit: Become Human - 6 > Didn't rank :)S)
Tacoma - 7 > 49
Nier Automata - 8 > 6
South Park: The Fractured But Whole - 9 > 12
Ni no Kuni II - 10 > 10

sirronoh

For everyone that voted for Crash, you are going to go out and actually buy the game... right?

Hopefully :( I need that Spyro remake

For everyone that voted for Crash, you are going to go out and actually buy the game... right?

Hell yeah. The game is already a steal for giving us 3 of the best platformers games, remastered, for $40 (even less with Prime/GCU) with some extra goodies. Buying it is the only way to show Activision that we want more CLASSIC Crash.

Arulan

Let's see...

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - GAF 26
2. Torment: Tides of Numenera - GAF 29
3. Expeditions: Viking - GAF 82
4. Budget Cuts - GAF 114
5. Battletech - GAF 46
6. Persona 5 - GAF 2
7. Battle Brothers - GAF 145
8. Thimbleweed Park - GAF 50
9. Resident Evil 7 - GAF 8
10. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - GAF 12

Looks about right.

Wok

I'm surprised a game like Miegakure is featured although the release date is not officially known:

but a game like Bomb Squad Academy, for which I may be the only voter, is not even in the list.

despite the game being greenlit and having an announced release date.

Not a big deal but still weird.

Sanctuary

7/10 of the top ten list are actually the only games that are currently on my radar for this year. Not specifically in the same order either, but that doesn't really matter since I'm pretty excited for all but one of them almost equally. Or rather, games that actually have a solid release date anyway. Really looking forward to Cuphead and Divinity: Original Sin 2 as well, but they seem to be 2017 TBD.

If nothing gets delayed
again
2017 is looking mighty fine.
Super hyped for Zelda, Persona, and Nier

It's literally the first year of the current gen that promises to be great.

Wok

Speaking of Miegakure, it should be #129 since it should have 5 votes.

I9Kca0h.png

I thought 2015 was high on quality with games like Bloodborne, TW3, TPP, Ori, Rocket League and Splatoon, and 2016 delivered both on quality and quantity (just check out the sheer variety in the GotY thread), but 2017 could well top both. Really excited to find out what Switch will bring to the table.

RowdyReverb

Glad to see that Prey made the top 20. I'm surprisingly excited for it. The previews so far have just oozed spooky sci-fi atmosphere

Melchiah

So, here's how my tastes align with the votes.

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda - #5
2. WipEout Omega Collection - #34
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn - #3
4. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - #14
5. What Remains of Edith Finch - #55
6. Vampyr - #33
7. Call of Cthulhu - #95
8. Little Nightmares - #61
9. Resident Evil VII - #8
10. Redout - #257 (the only vote for it)

Honorable mention:
The Sinking City (in case it reaches 2017) - No mention

I had Destiny 2 in the second place originally, but removed it as it's not confirmed for 2017.

Thanks for the effort, shinobi602.

Artdayne

1. For Honor - GAF 35
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda - GAF 5
3. Divinity Original Sin II - GAF 26
4. Nioh - GAF 7
5. Nier Automata - GAF 6
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn - GAF 3
7. Zelda - GAF 1

Fairly similar to the GAF list but For Honor and Divinity Original Sin are super underrated. I wasn't expecting a follow up to a great CRPG to make the top 10 but a triple A title like For Honor being ranked so low makes me sad. Hopefully GAF doesn't represent the broader gaming audience and the game does well so that we can see a competitive multiplayer environment and possible future installments to the franchise.

Japanese games return? Nobody else noticed this? The list is just full of them this year. FFXII HD being as high as it is was a pleasant surprise. Hope it sells well and makes Square consider making more Ivalice games.

Looking forward to Nier Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Danganronpa V3, Nioh and of course Persona 5. A JRPG series that was formerly as niche as Persona once was is also really interesting to see it chart as high as it did (barely beaten by Zelda). I'm really happy for Atlus, like From Software they've been around for a long time now so it's great to see them being so revered and recognised nowadays. Yooka Laylee and Cuphead also look cool and look forward to those as well.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Mass Effect, Zelda and RE7 since those games seem to be sketchy to me going by what I've seen and heard about them (no offence to those who are really looking forward to them). I predict those will also be divisive amongst the fans for different reasons.

I still think Shenmue 3 isn't coming this year hence why I didn't vote for it (otherwise it would have been my numero uno).

Good job on the voting topic, shinobi.

How I stacked up:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 : GAF #4
2. Horizon Zero Dawn : GAF #3
3. Mass Effect Andromeda : GAF #5
4. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands : GAF #38
5. Prey : GAF #13

Lady Gaia

This is always a fun exercise, so I thoroughly appreciate the work that goes into it. Now if only we had accurate enough sales data to look back at how our collective tastes differ from the market as a whole. I certainly don't expect Persona to be the second best-selling title of the year, though I won't be surprised if it makes significant commercial inroads compared to prior entries.

I have less clear expectations for Uncharted: Lost Legacy. It featured much higher on my own personal list, but it obviously isn't as hotly anticipated by the broader community. I'm curious why that is and whether it will be reflected in soft sales.

PillarEN

This is always a fun exercise, so I thoroughly appreciate the work that goes into it. Now if only we had accurate enough sales data to look back at how our collective tastes differ from the market as a whole. I certainly don't expect Persona to be the second best-selling title of the year, though I won't be surprised if it makes significant commercial inroads compared to prior entries.

I have less clear expectations for Uncharted: Lost Legacy. It featured much higher on my own personal list, but it obviously isn't as hotly anticipated by the broader community. I'm curious why that is and whether it will be reflected in soft sales.

Too much Uncharted. Could have let the franchise take a year off and GAF would probably be a little more hyped once it was revealed. Obviously though it still has many people eager to play it and if the CoDs and Battlefields are anything to go by then this should do just fine financially even if it might sell less than the 4th entry.

This entire list is bullshit and incomplete without Switch line-up information.

You guys are going to revisit this thread and think what the hell. Should have waited.

Mortemis

Banned
damn, didn't vote this year but my last year's list had Zelda, P5, nier, and ni-oh so I guess that works, lol.

Those are still some of my most anticipated, can't wait for so many games this year, plus switch.

Melchiah

This entire list is bullshit and incomplete without Switch line-up information.

You guys are going to revisit this thread and think what the hell. Should have waited.

You do realize it's also missing games from other platforms, which don't have release dates yet? Games like Destiny 2, God of War and Detroit: Become Human.

Ekai

1. Pathologic (99)
2. DR:V3: Killing Harmony (15)
3. NieR: Automata (6)
4. RE7 (8)
5. Tales of Beseria (32)
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn (3)
7. Sonic Mania (19)
8. Tokyo Xanadu (57)
9. Yooka-Laylee (11)
10. LoZ: Breath of the Wild (1)

7 in the top 20. I guess that's not too bad.

Also, I noticed while looking that the votes for Pathologic weren't counted properly. There were 2 people that put it in first which is already 8 points. And then another person gave it 10th, another 7th and another 4th. Yet it only had 8 points according to the post in this topic. That should put it at 12 points, not 8. That changes it's placement by a bit over 20 rankings putting it in the mid 70s. Not much considering how games even at that ranking still don't have a lot of points but it's something I noticed when I was looking back through the voting thread and the way the votes are tallied in this topic.

silva1991

I didn't vote for it, because it was just a remake, but hell yeah I will buy it. It was one of my favorite games back in the day and still is.

killatopak

Really glad that NieR is up there.

I still remember when there was a only a few of us vocal people in gaf that preached the greatness.

Now with the updated combat system, it really made the only glaring flaw of the last game go away.

ynwzh

Neo Member
68 Hatsune Miku 15
79 Project Diva Future Tone 11
Both are one game, there is one Miku game for 2017

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good list. Would not have had Zelda in my top 10, but i think its a testament to how strong the line up is that its still looking good enough for me to be looking forward to it even being out of my top 10 most anticipated

Top Bottom