• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

odhiex

That's a good list of games, hopefully they are all be released this year (even better, ended up being a great game when it's released).

Great job, OP.

This is starting to feel like SonyGAF.

Microsoft hasn't shown much of their future games(and already cancelling a lot of them these past few years sadly) plus they're working on Scorpio. Meanwhile at Nintendo, they are just barely getting the Switch ready to show until this Thursday. It makes sense that a lot of PS4 exclusives are on the list since they have more to show in both 1st and 3rd party support in comparison to the other 2 as of right now.

Servbot24

Banned
Cuphead and Below are the two XBox games I'm excited about. Halo Wars 2 looks quality. I'm not sold on Sea of Thieves, that honestly looks like 2017's letdown game to me.

Zolo

Different forums can reflect different tastes and interests. There's no doubt that Neogaf has a larger amount of users that play on Sony hardware and look forward to those exclusives. It's not a bad thing. I'm guessing if I went to RPGCodex it would mostly reflect PC tastes.

Servbot24

Banned
I think it has more to do with GAF having a strong connection to Japanese gaming history, rather than there just being a Sony lean. Nintendo dominates these lists just as much as Sony does.

Paganmoon

So Microsoft cancelled Scalebound when they noticed it wouldn't break top 20?

Only 3 games I'm really interested in (and voted for) in the top 20. Then again I'm not much into Japanese games.

1. For Honor - GAF 35
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda - GAF 5
3. Divinity Original Sin II - GAF 26
4. Nioh - GAF 7
5. Nier Automata - GAF 6
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn - GAF 3
7. Zelda - GAF 1

Fairly similar to the GAF list but For Honor and Divinity Original Sin are super underrated. I wasn't expecting a follow up to a great CRPG to make the top 10 but a triple A title like For Honor being ranked so low makes me sad. Hopefully GAF doesn't represent the broader gaming audience and the game does well so that we can see a competitive multiplayer environment and possible future installments to the franchise.

For Honor is going to be the next Rainbow Six Siege. It'll sneak up on people. It's one of those games you have to play to get. Loved the alpha I played and eagerly awaiting the closed beta. And hopefully an open beta.

Here's how I compare with the rest of Gaf. 7 of my picks align with the neogaf top 10. Why you all picked Gravity Rush 2 over Crackdown 3 I'll never understand. Maybe just because it's releasing so soon and we know next to nothing about Crackdown. I'll also never understand the appeal for Mass Effect I don't think.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 4
2. Crackdown 3 - 30?!
3. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - 1
4. Resident Evil VII - 8
5. Nioh - 7
6. Persona 5 - 2
7. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 3
8. Nier: Automata - 6
9. Tales Of Berseria - 32
10. Sea Of Thieves - 31

Lady Gaia

I presume you mean it's a decent reflection of global console adoption and the perceived strength of announced titles? After all, you can't play the #1 title on the list on a Sony console. Explicit complaints about perceived bias of the community as a whole are generally a poor idea. If anything, I think the list is a decent reflection of the current state of the market that should give everyone food for thought. Niche titles are overrepresented because this is an enthusiast forum, but that's about as skewed as the data seems to get.

TwiztidElf

Wow. 2016 was amazing, and 2017 looks like it will either match it or be even better.

I completely missed the 2017 anticipation stuff, but here's what I'm looking forwards to in 2017 fwiw.

DEFINITELY
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo Switch
Zelda - Breath of the Wild

LIKELY
Nier: Automata
The Last of Us 2
Shenmue 3

WAIT AND SEE (in order of interest)
Nioh
Sea of Theives
Cuphead
Death Stranding
Red Dead Redemption 2

Sonic Mania
Project Sonic 2017
Wipeout Omega Collection
Parappa the Rappa remastered
Gwent - Witcher Card Game
Ghost Recon Wildlands
For Honor
Yooka Laylee
New Rollcage?
Call of Cthulhu
Project Cars 2

Melchiah

Starting!?

oydEtrt.jpg

Phamit

8 Games from the Top Ten are going to be released within the first 4 Months of the year. Only 2 Games don't have a final release date yet

Last year it was only 2 Games within the first half of the year, 4 games in the second half and 4 games were delayed into 2017

Interesting list

UberTag

8 Games from the Top Ten are going to be released within the first 4 Months of the year. Only 2 Games don't have a final release date yet

Last year it was only 2 Games within the first half of the year, 4 games in the second half and 4 games were delayed into 2017

Interesting list
The real crazy part to me is that we're officially getting Horizon: Zero Dawn (February 28th), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3rd), and NieR:Automata (March 7th) within the span of one week.
That's 3 of our Top 6 games for the year.

People need to start booking vacation time.

Melchiah

The real crazy part to me is that we're officially getting Horizon: Zero Dawn (February 28th), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3rd), and NieR:Automata (March 7th) within the span of one week.

Unfortunately, not outside of NA. The PAL release date is 1 March 2017. The same goes for Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's very disappointing in this digital age.

EDIT: Just checked, and Nier: Automata is released later in PAL territory as well (10 March 2017). FTS

Raitaro

I did not get a chance to cast my votes this year (sigh...) but I have to applaud you Gaf for picking a top 10 that is very close to what I would have picked (for me with Zelda at 1 and Nier at 2). Excellent work!

I also would have put Super Mario Odyssey at 3 now that the Switch presentation has come and gone but I guess that this game missed the cut-off for those that voted no?

Good list Gaf, good list!

Edit: now I'm sad about Scalebound again though, while thinking about where it would have placed...

Yep, delays be damned this year!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
After playing last chance demo, i'd personally have moved Nioh up a few spots

I'm sure the number of games would be a lot bigger now if Nintendo had announced their games earlier.

The only one i could see making this list that isn't already there is Mario Odyssey, and maybe Xenoblade lower down.

We still have no idea what many of the other games are or when they are actually releasing

GLAMr

Thank you to those who took the time to organise this list and make the fantastic graphics for the top 20. This thread was a great reminder of how poor I'm going to be this year...

Thought this would be interesting to look at again at this point.

6 out of Gafs top 10 for 2017 are already released, with a 7th (Mass Effect) releasing in under a week. Pretty crazy. Looking like gaf picked a good number one!

The best thing about it to me is that all of them so far have actually been good to great games. I have no interest in Mass Effect so personally think that could be the one to ruin it but opinions.

And this list excluded games like Mario Odyssey, Destiny 2...and anything else that hadn't been officially announced at the time.

Crazy year.

reKon

Banned
GAF on point on this one. And idiots were called out, proving to be idiots who complain about bias on everything because of their internal fanboy struggle. Even though people have all kinds of striking opinions, GAF for the most part is hyped for the typically best or most fun games and not just because they happen to be exclusives. I'm sure Red Dead will be brilliant.

I'm not the one to say this, but damn 2017 looks incredible. This seems like the year that current gen is finally hitting its stride and riding the momentum of Q4 2016, after years of remasters and same old same old. Love the diversity here.

redcrayon

6 out of Gafs top 10 for 2017 are already released, with a 7th (Mass Effect) releasing in under a week. Pretty crazy. Looking like gaf picked a good number one!

The best thing about it to me is that all of them so far have actually been good to great games. I have no interest in Mass Effect so personally think that could be the one to ruin it but opinions.

And this list excluded games like Mario Odyssey, Destiny 2...and anything else that hadn't been officially announced at the time.

Crazy year.
I agree, Gaf's most anticipated list seems like a pretty strong selection in retrospect.

Wow. 2016 was amazing, and 2017 looks like it will either match it or be even better.

I completely missed the 2017 anticipation stuff, but here's what I'm looking forwards to in 2017 fwiw.

DEFINITELY
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo Switch
Zelda - Breath of the Wild

LIKELY
Nier: Automata
The Last of Us 2
Shenmue 3

WAIT AND SEE (in order of interest)
Nioh
Sea of Theives
Cuphead
Death Stranding
Red Dead Redemption 2

Sonic Mania
Project Sonic 2017
Wipeout Omega Collection
Parappa the Rappa remastered
Gwent - Witcher Card Game
Ghost Recon Wildlands
For Honor
Yooka Laylee
New Rollcage?
Call of Cthulhu
Project Cars 2

I just wanted to say, it is adorable that you think these games will be released this year. I want to grab your cheek and give it a good squeeze! :)

Melchiah

Looking back at my votes, Horizon has so far exceeded my expectations, whereas my anticipation for Mass Effect has waned after seeing more about it. The launch trailer in particular put a damper on the hype.

I've postponed buying RE7 until I've played all the March releases, including DS3 DLC and the last Destiny update.

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
2. WipEout Omega Collection
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
5. What Remains of Edith Finch
6. Vampyr
7. Call of Cthulhu
8. Little Nightmares
9. Resident Evil VII
10. Redout

Honorable mention:
The Sinking City (in case it reaches 2017)

I also think it's worth pointing out, a lot of games that flew under GAF radar turned out pretty good.

Namely the Ubisoft games lol

I also think it's worth pointing out, a lot of games that flew under GAF radar turned out pretty good.

Namely the Ubisoft games lol

Sales wise sure, but critically they are about what was expected...on the lower end for AAA titles. With Persona 5 at number 2 on the list it is obvious that the picks were not about commercial appeal though.

Zedark

I really the amount of great games available: just the variety in games in this thread is great, and that is without some big hitters from Nintendo that were announced at the presentation (Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2 just to name a couple). I would personally have included Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if it were possible, but am still greatly excited for what I have included, which only goes to show how amazing 2017 is shaping up to be!

Zhao_Yun

Sorry for the bump but since we had this in the last thread I thought it would be interesting to post a status update for this year as well. I am reusing the Format UberTag used in the 2016 thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197310008&postcount=767)

After all the delays in previous years it's good to see that most games on GAFs list have actually released this year, although it's not even half-time yet. Ni no Kuni 2 might still slip, but even then this would still be a very good year.

Top 10

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Metacritic = 97 / OpenCritic = 96)
2. Persona 5 (Metacritic = 93 / OpenCritic = 94)
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Metacritic = 89 / OpenCritic = 89)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (delayed until Spring 2018)
4. Mass Effect Andromeda (Metacritic = 71 / OpenCritic = 72)
5. NieR: Automata (Metacritic = 88 / OpenCritic = 89)
6. Nioh (Metacritic = 88 / OpenCritic = 88)
7. Resident Evil VII: biohazard (Metacritic = 86 / OpenCritic = 87)
8. Gravity Rush 2 (Metacritic = 80 / OpenCritic = 81)
9. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (TBD 2017; expecting more info at E3)
10. Yooka-Laylee (Metacritic = 68 / OpenCritic = 72)

11-20

11. South Park: The Fractured but Whole (October 17th)
12. Prey (Metacritic = 79 / OpenCritic = 81)
13. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (August 22nd)
14. Danganronpa V3 (September 26th)
15. Yakuza 0 (Metacritic = 85 / OpenCritic = 86)
16. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (July 11th)
17. Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (September 19th)
18. Sonic Mania (August 15th)
19. Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy (June 30th)
20. Dragon Quest XI (July 29th in Japan; TBD for the West)

UberTag

Thanks for tackling that update, Zhao. It's definitely been an atypical year with most of the anticipated games not only making it out without delays but shipping in the first half.

Today's news that Xenoblade 2 is getting bumped to 2018 will at least give that game the opportunity to make an appearance on next year's list as it was robbed due to Nintendo's late Switch unveil event.

Mass Effect: Andromeda and Yooka-Laylee clearly stand out as the critical disappointments from GAF's early-2017 list of hyped games. Everything else has more or less hit their expected marks.

Noteworthy releases that were known about but failed to make a splash on our collective hype meters that have performed admirably include Injustice 2 (finished 42nd in our most anticipated rankings; Metacritic & OpenCritic = 88), What Remains of Edith Finch (finished 55th in our most anticipated rankings; Metacritic & OpenCritic = 88), Night in the Woods (finished 54th in our most anticipated rankings; Metacritic = 88 / OpenCritic = 87) and Hollow Knight (finished a shocking 208th in our most anticipated rankings; Metacritic = 86 / OpenCritic = 89).

The Injustice snub seems the most surprising given NetherRealm's recent stellar track record. They should at least be held in the same regard as a studio like Bioware that seems to keep getting free passes. Hollow Knight was the clear dark horse surprise from the first half of this year.

Curious to see whether Red Dead Redemption 2 remains the prohibitive favorite to top next year's most anticipated list after this weekend. I'm leaning towards no... although it's clearly a lock for the Top 5 and a pretty safe bet for the Top 3.

I definitely think the fact that the majority of the 2017 games we knew about going into the year were in the first half helped ensure most of the listed games actually hit - plus a bunch of them were games that had already seen several delays to begin with, so it's not like they had much else left to go.

Now I just hope the year isn't too front-loaded and the back half manages to deliver. I wonder how Odyssey and Splatoon 2 would have ranked if they were officially announced before we did the thread.

I love when these threads are bumped. Lessee how things are going at the mid-mark.

1. GOTY contender. Simply excellent in ways I didn't anticipate.

2. GOTY contender. Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle and substance.

3. September release confirmed

4. #doujinshitime

5. I tend to treat this game much more favorably than most (proper expectations) but you can tell exactly where the money ran out.

6. Backlog

7. Backlog

8. September release confirmed

9. Backlog

10. Backlog (holy lawd this year)

Top Bottom