• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf's Top 10 Mario Kart 8 Patch/Feature Requests

Azuardo

I would have added more to my list in the last topic if I knew the votes were gonna be tallied. I didn't mention a lot of things because I didn't want to repeat what others had already said, but still, good job OP :) I don't know if you could perhaps tot up new/more posts to adjust the list? We definitely need to bring this to the attention of Nintendo, seriously.

Options menu IS a must for things like adjusting music and SFX volume. Ever played in local multiplayer? I was looking forward to my mates hearing how good the Electrodome track music is, but we couldn't hear shit because the noise of the karts was insanely loud. Not as noticeable in single-player, but my god, you can't hear music at all in local MP. Option to adjust SFX level for karts especially is badly needed.

I am an avid pro-Dixie Kong supporter, so y'all need to go like my Miiverse post to get her in lol >_>
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEjPugt3Q

Other things I have or may not have mentioned in the last topic, just for reference:

- Clone characters need to be reduced instead of greats like Dixie Kong missing out. Expand horizons by grabbing more characters from the DK and WarioWare universes.
- Add proper battle arenas e.g. Block Fort and Double Deck from MK64
- The current battle arenas are too large
- Add mini-map option to TV screen
- Add a single-player adventure or missions, like from Diddy Kong Racing & Crash Team Racing.
- Add stats menu to see info like how many coins collected
- Change View Highlights as default option after race to Next Race
- Add options menu to adjust music and SFX volume, brightness etc
- Add option to turn off friendly fire in team races. This has absolutely killed team racing.
- Add full screen on GamePad in multiplayer
- Sort the netcode to reduce disconnections online
- Allow voice chat for friends during races
- Let us change character/kart without leaving online lobby. What a bizarre oversight.
- Add names above drivers when looking behind with X button
- Add names above stamps to tell difference between Baby Peach and Baby Daisy etc
- Add race finish times after the end of non-Time Trial races. I always liked seeing how close online races were, like if you beat a friend by 100th of a second
- Add full item customisation for at least friend races and local multiplayer. e.g. ability to turn on or off every item, Smash Bros style.

Some of these like 'single-player adventure' aren't necessarily ones they could easily just patch in to MK8. That's more for what should be in the next MK game instead. It's just disappointing that we never got one in MK8, so I have to mention it.

A track editor I feel is something that could really be cool, provided we got a lot of freedom with it.

why the eff is there a big giant horn in the middle of my screen? it serves no purpose. just swap it for the gameplay screen thats in the top right, which is smaller than my thumb. also snaking was fun, it took more skill than ppl think. try doing that on rainbow road without falling. im probably in the minority but I WISH THEY WOULD BRING BACK SNAKING. that and Wins vs Losses. And the missions ane boss battles.

Azuardo

why the eff is there a big giant horn in the middle of my screen? it serves no purpose. just swap it for the gameplay screen thats in the top right, which is smaller than my thumb. also snaking was fun, it took more skill than ppl think. try doing that on rainbow road without falling. im probably in the minority but I WISH THEY WOULD BRING BACK SNAKING. that and Wins vs Losses. And the missions ane boss battles.

Well you can just tap the gameplay screen or the map screen on the right side to make them show up in the horn's place. Unless you just hate the idea of the horn being there by default lol.

yeah but i mean when you swap out, the mini map is gone the item spy is gone, its gimped. they should have all of that on the gamepad, the horn isnt necessary to winning.

ThaGuy

Still didn't add that the non-stop item box needs fixing. I went thru a half a lap with my item box still spinning.

TheWolfie

Neo Member
I dont know if this has been added to the list yet...but...

I play the game online Co-Op and the score only keeps for the main player, my co-op player character resets at 1000 points each time the game is restarted am I missing something or can the score not be kept?

found out how to fix it for anybody having this problem from gamefaqs "Have your friend log in her account and play a round on global vs by herself. Then go back to two player online and it will track vr.

Me and my boyfriend had to do this."

Regarding the net-code:
I've been thinking about it, and the way it is now, is a way that makes a lot of sense. We get phantom item hits because the offended party has authority, which means that if someone throws a green shell your way, it's you that decide if you get hit, or not. Imagine if it was the other way around. Then the pow-block would be useless, since it wouldn't matter when you saw a shell approaching, and you wouldn't be able to time when to use it. You couldn't purposefully drift away from the trajectory of a green shell. You would get hit by someone holding a banana peel behind them that's behind you.

Authority should lie with the offended party.

As for race results changing as you finish the race, that's each and every player submitting their exact completion time, and them ending up in the right place according to that. Can you suggest anything that makes more sense?

I think the major problem is that these are issues that weren't present, or were to a significantly lesser degree, in MK7. I played MK7 online for years and never noticed phantom hits on other players or been hit myself by mystery items. In MK8 this happens nearly every race.

Lag where the player would teleport around the screen or tracking issues on red shells would happen sometimes but it was always easy to tell who the problem child is in your lobby (sorry Shark). In MK8 it seems sometimes like everyone is lagging. Item wheel lag is another issue that I never experienced once in MK7 but it happens every play session in MK8.

The common issue between the two games is that sometimes in close races the leaderboards would update with different positions but it wasn't something that happened as often in MK7 and has a lot more to do with the servers not accurately tracking racer's locations. In fact most of these issues seem to do with server latency and tracking.

Jock_Nerd

Banned
I agree with:
- real battle arenas
- swap View Highlights and Next Race
- ability to add map on screen

Don't agree with:
- remove fire-hopping (it's like L-Cancelling from Smash... part of the game now)

Would like to add:
- 5-player option with Gamepad player having own screen

I:
This is not true in the slightest.

It is true though. Ever since they took out snaking, Mario Kart is been crap to play. Mario Kart Wii sucked. Mario Kart 7 was meh. We finally get fire hopping and then we have people saying it's a cheat. That's like saying wave dashing in Smash Bros Melee is a cheating(Guess what, Nintendo took that out and added tripping. Brawl was terrible because of it) or using frame block pressure on Street Fighter is cheating. They're not. They're advanced techniques for those willing to put the effort in and rise to a higher level in competitive play. It's an integral part of the game.

Yeah, I seriously thought they'd give us entire freedom for items, like in Smash Bros. The ability to turn on or off whichever items we wanted - if only for friend races and local MP. That's going in my mini list.

I want this too. Make it a Smash Bros setting (Final Destination, no items). Mario Kart, any track no items. A good mode.

Multiplayer: team race option, formula one style. Mario & Luigi vs Wario & Waluigi vs Larry & Morton etc... individually, Mario might be the best driver but the koopalings could still claim the championship.

A few gripes...

with the front end:
- no profile view to track your play time, coin total, etc.
- no way to see which time trials you have beaten
- no HUD when playing without the Gamepad
- no manual switch between cameras or players in MKTV replay mode

with online:
- should be easier to play with friends than waiting for spaces in a room. ie. start room with friends and then wait for randoms to fill it

and then with the game/rebalancing:
- item distribution
- fire hopping
- cannot currently jump whilst drifting
- green shells to make more noise
- limited character/vehicle combos compared to MK7

Total combos

Mario Kart Wii
= 324 different combinations

Mario Kart 7 (statistically different)
17 unique bodies
10 unique tyres
3 unique gliders
5 unique character classes
= 17*10*3*5 = 2,550 combinations

Mario Kart 7 (visually different)
17 different bodies
10 different tyres
7 different gliders
17 different characters
= 17*10*7*17 = 20,230 combinations

Mario Kart 8 (statistically different)
6 unique bodies
7 unique tyres
2 unique gliders
7 unique character classes
= 6*7*2*7 = 588 combinations

Mario Kart 8 (visually different)
30 different bodies
11 different gliders
18 different tyres
26 different characters
= 30*11*18*26 = 154,440 combinations

Personally I feel they set out with good intentions—to rebalance the game—but they've not done a good job. Getting coins only in first is just annoying.

I'm feel that the handling changes were to make the handling model feel "HD" rather than the somewhat "2D" handling of the previous games. Mixed results for me. The game is too easy vs CPU, and too frantic with human players given the items available.

and some small details:
- loading screen (shadows are attached to vehicles when they should be "on the ground", wheels do not rotate/spin around, white areas of vehicles are transparent meaning you can see the background through them)

Regiruler

and then with the game/rebalancing:
- item distribution
- fire hopping
- cannot currently jump whilst drifting
- green shells to make more noise
- limited character/vehicle combos compared to MK7
1. Only if it attempts to address the 1st to 2nd gap
2. Of course
3. This is fine. You need to weigh the pros and cons of holding the drift as opposed to dropping it for a trick
4. Eh, maybe. It would be a considerable nerf though and I like the balance of power between green and red
5. There are more vehicles and more characters
How is it limited? Or do you mean statistically?
EDIT: you do mean statistically. I think it's fine to have repeats, as that means less visual designs will be neglected for being "inferior" and makes balance testing easier.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Mario Kart needs to give the player the ability to hold two weapons as long as he is holding one behind him (red shell, green shell, banana. This is a Mario Kart fundamental!

Also I highly agree we need to see stats.

Come on Nintendo! There is so much you can do and I will pay you MONEY!

By the way, best Mario Kart ever :D

Meh. Whether something is an exploit or an intended feature should never be the reason for or against anything.

That being said, I won't complain if it's patched out eventually either, because that would solve things as well. It's the controversy that I hate.

Surprised to see that higher speed classes aren't a more common request.

What are the chances of Nintendo actually patching the game?

No idea, it's just that it's technically possible and that MK7 set a precedent.

3. This is fine. You need to weigh the pros and cons of holding the drift as opposed to dropping it for a trick
I appreciate that, but currently it's not possible to go from a drift to a jump very easily (at least with the Wii wheel) it was super easy on Wii/3DS. On DS it was a bit broken.

5. There are more vehicles and more characters
How is it limited? Or do you mean statistically?
EDIT: you do mean statistically. I think it's fine to have repeats, as that means less visual designs will be neglected for being "inferior" and makes balance testing easier.
I like the dupes. I'd just want as more choices with Dupes. I think DLC will fix this one, if we get more than the Mercedes.

What are the chances of Nintendo actually patching the game?
They've updated/patched Pikmin 3 a bunch of times.

shaowebb

Im voting hard on Battle Arenas. I can see why they got rid of them...they pretty much busted them with the problems they caused by trying to just increase their size to allow more players in the same match, but rather than fixing it they just toss them? Thats wrong. They need put back in.

You know how to fix the problems? Realize you can't put 16 people in the old arenas and have it work because they'd be too narrow and too clustered to dodge with anything more than 4 karts. HOWEVER, rather than force folks to fight in huge arenas where there is too much room to dodge and not enough ways to force shootouts they needed to simply make a 4 player arena a thing. That's all they needed to do. Instead they went with 16 player battles in huge arenas and to try and force fighting added a ton of stage hazards which in turn removed the pure skill feeling of fire fights and made them feel cheap and random.

Just make new 4 player stages and that's it. Make a lot of em and let it rock. No huge arenas with a bunch of easy dodging and easy to scout enemies. No huge arenas with a ton of stage hazards forcing bad maneuvering and cheap deaths.
Just pure 4 player arenas that are confined and filled with turns to whip around and dodge and to blind side attack folks.

Honestly Coin battles could stay large arena. That fit. But 3 hits you're out fighting? 4 player small arenas like N64.

Thats all they need. If 4 player fights is not a design they are willing to return to even though it allowed for more pure battles and battle arena design...well then they would have to pretty well make Battle Arena stages the equivalent of double deck with a tight fighting area the size of N64 but with a much greater verticality ...I guess it would need about 5-8 decks if they kept the 16-ish player Battle Mode fights. Verticality in a confined space works, but wide open spaces doesn't. It'd force a lot of whiffed shots to rattle around on lower decks causing a march to higher decks and heavier lane fighting. Diving off is scary because you know the odds of ricochets down below is higher.

*Awesome race and something amazing happens*. Damn, can't wait to save that replay!

+... +, +, +.... Wtf? 'Save replay' greyed out? No option to delete previous replay? What in the Fuck?

*Awesome race and something amazing happens*. Damn, can't wait to save that replay!

+... +, +, +.... Wtf? 'Save replay' greyed out? No option to delete previous replay? What in the Fuck?
It will be saved in the list of 12 recent race replays, so go to MK TV at your earliest opportunity and manage your replays there.

So now the patch is out, what are we still missing?

I don't find the map too useful, but I would like icons that show who has what weapon.
Lap times
MKTV to realise when there's a close finish and automatically go into slow-mo

Anybody else?

Seems like there was a major missed opportunity with the gamepad: a 5th player for local multiplayer. That to me should be pretty high up.

Top Bottom