• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces live action Gears of War movie

season 4 news GIF

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What is the race of Marcus? People say he is white, but I thought he was mixed
a1272cc713dcd533814f3f20090b1c14.jpg

I'd say he's white.

1 3 and 4 clearly shows he's white, while the fifth looks like alteration from light source on that picture, but he looks the same like 4 in game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You guys are delusional if you think this is gonna be about Marcus and Dom.

This will 100% be about Kait and her inner demons with some occational fights in between the talking.
Tbh I would hope they introduce an entire new squad instead of the ones we know.

Would be way better to just introduce new people.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Please stick to its horror roots. More horror and grit versus cheesy over the top action. That’s what made gears 1 a masterpiece

Fbh

This will 100% be about Kait and her inner demons with some occational fights in between the talking.

Yup.
It will either focus entirely on her or it will still be her story but from the point of view of some new "rookie" character who joins her, so they have someone that constantly needs to have everything explained to (for the audience)
Marcus will show up but more as a secondary character.

People expecting this to focus on the original trilogy will be disappointed.

Kimahri

Banned
Tbh I would hope they introduce an entire new squad instead of the ones we know.

Would be way better to just introduce new people.
Sure, but will still have an empored girl as the asskicking lead, and all the men will be in awe of her.

Not that asskicking ladies is wrong if it's done like rilpley or sarah connor, but that's not what we're gonna get, and it's so tiresome that we're not getting that.

Shh

Anything but shit would be equally amazing and surprising. Gonna watch this nonetheless!
That's where I'm at. Netflix sets the bar so low ... every ... time. As long as your bar is set to zero, there's hope!

GymWolf

Please stick to its horror roots. More horror and grit versus cheesy over the top action. That’s what made gears 1 a masterpiece
Yep, the first one is my favourite by a gigantic margin, 2-3 were already too colorful and michael bay-ish.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Why the sudden obsession with game to TV/Movie adaptions? This is what MS tried with the launch of XB1 and got rightfully shit on, now it seems like everyone wants to do it. What changed?

nahhhhh

The reveal of XONE had to do with them literally fucking revealing a system for the first time and talking about media features instead of actual games.

It had nothing to do with with merely "tv/movie adaptions" it didn't even have to do with them even existing, it had to do with choosing to reveal that instead of actual next gen games during its reveal.

Fbh

You can't possibly fuck up a simple premise like this right?

Its not that hard to fuck up:

-Movie is 90% people talking because they don't have the budget for a lot of action, cool setpiece moments, cool enemy creatures, etc
- Fan favorite Marcus Fenix gets relegated to secondary character as the plot focuses on Kait and/or some new original character.
-Writers refuse to recognize this was always a fun action franchise about dudes cutting through alien-like creaturea with chainsawguns and try to focus on drama.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It better not be but to be honest It wouldn't surprise me. But at least we'll have the glory of seeing her save all the men folk and their toxic masculinity.

Gears of war is like Terminator, but we don't have actors like Sly, Schwarzenegger to play badass guys like Mark.
The only solution is if Sony lends Tom Holland to Microsoft.

Allandor

... why?
The game is just a "just kill all" game without any story to be noteworthy.
Don't get me wrong, it has a good atmosphere but not enough lore for a series.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ah, I'll revise it then for Gears

- 10 minutes of flashbacks to pre-alien days
- 40 minutes of planning attacks against aliens
- 40 minutes of side character plots
- 10 minutes of action scenes

100 minutes. Roll the credits.
Marcus dies in the first 5 mins then the rookie girl who couldn’t get anything right single handily saves the world and marcus's son who is an overconfident bumbling idiot.

Last edited:
When they say an "adult animated series", is that gonna be more Cyberpunk:ER or something along the lines of hentai?

...because I don't know how I feel about a GeOW hentai...

Braag

I've completely lost faith in Netflix being able to do a proper adaptation of any game IP. Something like Cyberpunk Edgerunners worked cause they stayed the fuck out of it and let Trigger and CDPR handle the project.

I've completely lost faith in Netflix being able to do a proper adaptation of any game IP. Something like Cyberpunk Edgerunners worked cause they stayed the fuck out of it and let Trigger and CDPR handle the project.
I liked Castlevania too, that was a great show. Edgerunners was unbelievably good to be honest. I thought they’d fuck that up for sure.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
... why?
The game is just a "just kill all" game without any story to be noteworthy.
Don't get me wrong, it has a good atmosphere but not enough lore for a series.

To be fair, it does have plenty to construct a good story from.

You don't need half a dozen games, 10 books and a series of comics to draw from if you don't want to. But Gears, apparently, has that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeaaah, as much as I want this, I love Gears, but this is gonna be all about Kait and her non-bino winos telling the big bad white man that we should make peace with the locust and their heart-warming coming of age journey towards it.
Or some guff like that.

Oh god, I would absolutely love it if the opening scene was a locust getting shot and then the rest of the episode was whoever the main character is, exploring their emotions about why they can't stop thinking about getting dumped by their first boyfriend, who it will be strongly implied is Marcus Fenix, but who never features. 19 episodes of that. Until the season finale, which focuses on an awkward date the main character had at a restaurant where Fenix couldn't work out which fork to use for his starter.

The fury would invigorate everyone.

Top Bottom