• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Near $400M+ Deal For ‘Knives Out’ 2 & 3; Daniel Craig & Director Rian Johnson Reprising

bitbydeath

Enjoyed the first, probably difficult to pull off again if it’s more or less a reboot of the same find the killer storyline but an excellent cast could help.
EXCLUSIVE: Netflix is closing in on a deal to make two sequels to the 2019 hit whodunit Knives Out, which Rian Johnson will direct with Daniel Craig reprising his role as super sleuth Benoit Blanc. Johnson, who wrote the original, has written the sequels and is producing with partner Ram Bergman. Sources said the deal will be worth north of $400 million, making it one of the biggest streamer movie deals in history.

bitbydeath

Gross. I hope this doesn't happen. I want to watch them in the theatres thank you.
A theatre?
You must be taking the piss.

images

Ah Gaf... hating everything RJ touches just because--

Disappointed that this will only have select theater screenings (the audience energy for the 1st one is like 50% of the experience), but at least he's getting a big payday for it.

is 400m really worth it for 2 movies worth of content?

that money could float SO many other projects

It always boggles my mind trying to rationalize how nflx justifies cost of content to return of value

Last edited:

sol_bad

Ah Gaf... hating everything RJ touches just because--

Disappointed that this will only have select theater screenings (the audience energy for the 1st one is like 50% of the experience), but at least he's getting a big payday for it.

Yep, the theatre was actually at full capacity when I saw it and it was a great experience with everyone laughing at all the comedic elements etc.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Knives Out didn't land for me or my wife, but $400m to produce two sequels - even as exclusives for their service - feels like overkill. The movie came and went, and I've literally never seen or heard anyone talking about it. I don't think it's going to have much pull. Oh well - Johnson making out like a bandit, good for him.

TonyK

Related to some of the answers: do you plan to return to cinemas post covid? I loved cinema all my life but now I can't imagine returning to a cinema.
A 65" LGCX and a Dolby Atmos sound system is all I need. I watched Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 in Bluray 4K and I plan to watch all next big movies in that way.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really enjoyed Knives Out and would love to see a sequel, but spending 400mill on two sequels seems like Netflix are just pissing money away.

Related to some of the answers: do you plan to return to cinemas post covid? I loved cinema all my life but now I can't imagine returning to a cinema.
A 65" LGCX and a Dolby Atmos sound system is all I need. I watched Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 in Bluray 4K and I plan to watch all next big movies in that way.

Absolutely not. Everytime the volume lowers I have to hear people eat and crunch and whisper to each other. Its disgusting. Seeing random phone lights everywhere. Having to sit next to overweight people and literally being able to hear them breath.

Most theaters smell like moldy underwear. People wearing sandals and putting their feet up on the seats so I have to see some bitches nasty toenails.

The "movie-going experience" is hella overrated. With the LG CX and newer TVs theres literally no point in wasting $40+ to go to the theaters.

cormack12

Gold Member
I liked this movie when it came out, more recently I watched Agatha Christie's Crooked House (2017 film, novelised circa 1950) - and I was stunned how about 90% of it was very, very similar. Crooked House had a darker turn, but you could pick out the main story beats almost exactly. And a few character swaps in terms of role/relationship. Took a bit of the impact away from me really that Knives Out had.

Ionian

Absolutely not. Everytime the volume lowers I have to hear people eat and crunch and whisper to each other. Its disgusting. Seeing random phone lights everywhere. Having to sit next to overweight people and literally being able to hear them breath.

Most theaters smell like moldy underwear. People wearing sandals and putting their feet up on the seats so I have to see some bitches nasty toenails.

The "movie-going experience" is hella overrated. With the LG CX and newer TVs theres literally no point in wasting $40+ to go to the theaters.

A few times I've roared at people in cinemas. I can't pay attention if they're acting like cunts.

First Sam Raimi's Spiderman film some dumb bitch was going through her ringtones. Avengers a couple were doing live commentary, they got a STFU too. World of Warcraft some bitch was losing a battle opening a bag of sweets, she got a "just open the fucking bag", that was after listening to it for ages. (small cinema).

Rogue one was glorious as I went to a matinee, think only 1 other person there. Always went to matinees after.

As for caring about going again, I really don't. Can do without easily. Think the last one I saw was Aliens: Covenant and that was pure shite.

cormack12

Gold Member
World of Warcraft some bitch was losing a battle opening a bag of sweets, she got a "just open the fucking bag", that was after listening to it for ages. (small cinema).

Bizarre behavioural thing this. You can open your snacks while the ads are playing ready. But everyone waits until the intro starts. Fucking weird.

Ionian

Bizarre behavioural thing this. You can open your snacks while the ads are playing ready. But everyone waits until the intro starts. Fucking weird.
Truly is, fiddling with bags of sweets is like nails on a chalkboard for me in a cinema.

She was with someone as well and he didn't flinch or look, think he was thankful someone had said it.

Mato

I thought the movie was stupid and boring and have zero interest in a sequel. The praise it got was undeserved.

Ballthyrm

Most of these movie hang on the quality of the script and the quality of the acting.

Knives out had some of the former and a lot of the latter
I'm not convince that Rian Johnson will be able to write more movies at the level of the quality "Knives out "had.

So if you didn't like the first movie, don't hold your breath for the next ones.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Knives out was just OK. That it was hailed as some sort of great just shows the pitiful mediocrity of most modern cinema.

Fbh

For 400 mill you can make mad Max fury road, the upcoming Villeneuve Dune and you still have spare change to make a Knives out sequel with a higher budget than the first one

Mihos

Gold Member

I have an 175" ultra wide screen theater set up, and I still can't wait to get back to the theaters

NickFire

The amount of money is staggering, and all I can't shake the thought that Netflix has jumped the shark on it. I love Netflix, but how can they possibly stay near current costs if they're up to to dropping 400 million for two movies?

jason10mm

Gold Member
This has got to be some funny accounting, like half of that is going to building an entire production department, soundstages, and effects house to be used on more projects. No f'n way can you spend TWO HUNDRED MILLION on a mystery movie, unless you are just torching cash by hiring stars with bloated paychecks, paying out the nose for music, and doing lavish setpieces 'just cause'.

Then again WW84 was supposed to be in that range and I certainly didn't see it on screen.

sol_bad

Could you elaborate why?

Wife and I generally go to the movies once or twice a week outside the pandemic. Generally go the night or weekend of release. Rarely ever have issues with other audience members.

Recently got am LG CX65 TV and for years have had a $7000aud surround sound setup, still can't and never will compare to the cinema experience.

Unless I want to actively purchase a disc for everything I watch, I find streaming bit rates (especially on HBO Max and Amazon) to be trash.

Plus I got AMC A-List. It's actually cheaper for me in the long run (not to mention I could walk out of a movie and come back another showing if certain people in the audience annoys me or the projectionist puts the movie at the wrong aspect ratio).

Top Bottom