• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rian Johnson Confirms Knives Out's Benoit Blanc Is Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

plushyp

Knives-Out-Daniel-Craig-Benoit-Blanc.jpg

As reported by Insider, a scene from the upcoming Knives Out sequel, which was made available to certain members of the press, hints at the mysterious detective living with another man. During a press conference at the London Film Festival, Johnson was asked if this scene means Blanc is gay. "Yes, he obviously is," Johnson said. In referring to the actor who portrays Blanc's lover, Johnson stated, "And there's nobody in the world I can imagine in bringing me more joy for Benoit Blanc to be with."

Craig, who was also at the press conference, added, "No spoilers [but] who wouldn't want to live with that person?" Along with Craig, who first appeared as Benoit Blanc in 2019's Knives Out, the main cast of Glass Onion also includes Edward Norton, Kathryn Hahn, Dave Bautista, Leslie Odom Jr and Janelle Monáe. Bautista stated in an August 2021 interview that the film would feature plenty of exciting new characters and performances, saying that he believed Glass Onion will be "as good, if not better, than the first one."

Jennings

Knives Out was such a great movie full of wonderful performances by all involved. I'm looking forward to the sequel and hope this brand new cast of characters can live up to the first.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

As mentioned above does it add anything to the character? He is still a great detective and character ok he is gay. It doesn’t change anything. Unless this was a plot of the movie such as his lover gets killed. I’m not outraged by this revelation nor does it change the first movie in anyway. it just generates the reaction in the gif above.

Id rather him explain why he sounds like foghorn leghorn.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's such a weird phenomenon: news items about fictional characters turning out to be gay , bi or trans even though their sexuality or gender doesn't play any role in the story. But these news items get traction, so Hollywood is using virtue signalling to sell their wares.

--

Edit: Hollywood is also getting criticized for it. You can't please that woke audience.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's such a weird phenomenon: news items about fictional characters turning out to be gay , bi or trans even though their sexuality or gender doesn't play any role in the story. But these news items get traction, so Hollywood is using virtue signalling to sell their wares.

--

Edit: Hollywood is also getting criticized for it. You can't please that woke audience.

People with sad lives need to know that a fictional character like to fuck what they like to fuck to get a brief moment of joy.

Cyberpunkd

The first interviewer just goes to town on why this is stupid AF:

He added: "What matters is context, not whether Daniel Craig's character Benoit Blanc is gay. It matters how the film chooses to frame the character's sexuality, or whether it chooses to do so at all in a way that is appropriate to the narrative.

"Otherwise, a character's sexuality is incidental, completely irrelevant to the text, and a sure-fire sign of queer-baiting."

Nowhere in the damn movie there is a single suggestion that Benoit is gay. Fuck, I have to watch Brokeback Mountain finally - I always had an impression one of the main highlights was that gays there did not behave like stereotypical gays.

Craig is a prime example of alpha male hetero fantasy. It was stupid when JK Rowling did it, and it's stupid now.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s one of those things that in my mind I would like to think goes like this…

Idiot interview: so is _____ character secretly gay? hehehe

Film writer: umm i don’t know what that has to do with any…

Idiot interviewer: we’ll EVERYONE has come to the conclusion that he/she is gay because of ( long crazy fan fiction)

Film writer: interesting but I really didn’t think about it while …

Idiot interviewer: okay next question then… what’s everyone’s pronouns? Hehehe

Film writer: okay he/she is gay! … look at the time.. I got to go.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Isn't the opposite nowadays??

You need guts to not have any gay character in your movie...

Nope. I'd say they're still pussyfooting around clear and obvious depictions of gay characters, so as not to offend people. That's why we get these idiotic off screen fill-ins where they say these things that they never bother actually putting on screen. And also the strange, almost passive aggressive hinting they use to imply homosexuality, without actually showing it properly - especially when they do it for no good plot reason, and just throw it in their in a coward's attempt to appeal to the progressive demographic.

I have no issues with any film maker putting whatever they want into a movie, as long as it's relevant, and done in a proper, effective manner. Anything else is bullshit.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

--

In the 70s, being gay would have been considered woke. Now, being trans isn't even woke anymore. Hell, being woke isn't being woke anymore. I think it's done. It's now back to being attributed to being literally woken from sleep.

Pointing out homosexuality in 2022 is like saying bread has carbs.

...Wait... uhm.

Nevermind. I think I circled back somehow.

Fuck it.

Cyberpunkd

In the 70s, being gay would have been considered woke. Now, being trans isn't even woke anymore. Hell, being woke isn't being woke anymore. I think it's done. It's now back to being attributed to being literally woken from sleep.

Pointing out homosexuality in 2022 is like saying bread has carbs.

...Wait... uhm.

Nevermind. I think I circled back somehow.

Fuck it.
Prophetic thread:

unless it affects the plot of the movie then i don't give a fuck.

if in the movie it shows he is in a relationship with another guy then cool but do we need people to come out with details on a characters life/background just for the sake of it? while we're at it why don't you tell us what his political views are, what religion if any does he follow, i want to know his exact height and weight, what's his favourite colour, favourite food, etc.

i don't give a fuck that he's gay but i'm tired of shit getting rammed down our throats for the sake of scoring points.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That's cool I guess.

Can Ana de Armas return as a lesbian? WIth Hailee Steinfeld as her girlfriend. WIth some NC-17 sex scenes? And fuck it, why not some Daniel Craig/Oscar Isaac sex scenes?

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The sexual orientation of this movie character is VERY important to me, okay?

Now that I know the character is gay I enjoy the movie a lot more, especially since his sexuality is such a large part of the narrative.

Good bless ransom announcements about sexual orientations of fictional characters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Knives Out was one of the best movies of recent years and I'm really looking forward to Glass Onion.

That just shows the utterly dismal state of modern movies. It wasn't bad by any means, but its no more than a glossy, forgettable time-waster.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, it was pretty good, but any episode of Jonathan Creek tops it. And that wasn't hyped to hell and back, nor cost anywhere near as much (for a whole series).

Got the theme tune stuck in my head, thanks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Knives Out was one of the best movies of recent years and I'm really looking forward to Glass Onion.

Man, that's bleak, I couldn't even slot it in my top 10 of that year, let alone "recent years". And I liked the movie plenty, but all I got from it was a decent standard detective procedural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom