• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

kulapik

http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netflix

Netflix is developing and producing a new English language drama series based on The Witcher, the globally popular fantasy saga from Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, that has entranced legions of fans worldwide. Known collectively as the Witcher Saga, Sapkowski's eight novels and story collections center on "witchers" -- hunters who develop supernatural abilities at a young age to battle deadly monsters. The New York Times bestselling books have spawned a major video game franchise and have been translated into over 20 languages.

”Andrzej Sapkowski has created a rich and memorable world, at once magical and familiar," said Erik Barmack, Netflix Vice President, international series. ”We couldn't be more excited about bringing Netflix members around the world."

”I'm thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing," said Sapkowski. ”I'm excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life."

Andrzej Sapkowski will serve as a creative consultant on the series. Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise, Ben-Hur, The Expanse) and Jason Brown (The Expanse), partners at the Sean Daniel Company are executive producers, along with Tomek Baginski (Oscar nominated short The Cathedral, BAFTA winning The Fallen Art, Ambition) and Jarek Sawko (The Fallen Art, Another Day of Life) from Platige Image, the Polish production and visual effects company. Bagiński will also direct at least one episode of each season.

”The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world," said Sean Daniel and Jason Brown. ”The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can't wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling."

Already a thread in OT but thought I'd get one on Gaming too.

Auctopus

I wonder how they'll present the stories - even within the novels, the timeline that the story unfolds is sort of all over the place with quite a heavy reliance on flashbacks.

If they could do the whole of Isle of Thanedd in to Ciri joining The Rats etc. whilst Geralt makes his way through Brokilon Forest. Then colour me excited. They could throw the short stories in as small flashbacks during the downtime.

Mediking

This.... might actually be amazing.... will definitely watch.... I wonder who they're gonna choose for Yen....

Vinc

This seems to have no ties with the games and is based directly on the books, right?

Seems like it, yeah. I know very little about the books and am a fan of the Witcher 3, so it'll be interesting to find out what the differences were with the books in the adaptation.

Book adaptations, no input from CDPR, an animation studio mentioning they're working on it without any actual announcement from Netflix - I'd keep expectations in check. For all we know they're doing pre production on a pilot that might not even see the light of day.

I'm all for fantasy and sci-fi, all day straight up. But, is there going to be a budget and craftmanship that can give it justice? Game of Thrones is unique- It's exception to the rule. Fantasy TV shows are often yuck.

MadYarpen

champagne.gif

For me, personally, this is the best news of... Ever? I mean I got married, have a kid but this is something else!

TheRed

Awesome hope it's really good so that it turns into Netflix's Game of Thrones in terms of production values. Even half that would be pretty nice :)

MadYarpen

I'm all for fantasy and sci-fi, all day straight up. But, is there going to be a budget and craftmanship that can give it justice? Game of Thrones is unique- It's exception to the rule. Fantasy TV shows are often yuck.

It will be difficult but the most important netflix shows are top quality and I hope it is one of them.

Auctopus

Thankfully, whilst the world of The Witcher is expansive, the stories that take place in the novel are quite small scale. I.e. there's only one instance I can think of in the novels (though I'm only up to the latest English translation) that would call for a need for extras/SFX/battle scenes.

The game is far more epic than the books.

The original Polish series sucked, so I'm not sure this will be do any different. Video game adaptations in general are very hit n miss.

Edit: I see this is based on the books. That makes me hopeful!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well with Game of Thrones ending soon its pretty darn smart to jump in and hopefully fill the gap with a fantasy medieval TV show.

Top Bottom