• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

A Netflix series based on The Witcher sounds truly amazing, but again so did Iron Fist... At least this has the guys from The Expanse as executive producers, but ever since Iron Fist I've been worried about Netflix's quality control.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Mads could be amazing....make it so
or anyone, I'm so excited!

6nlYQcBQTZOB6V7blPdI_411698_1.1.jpg

Chris1

A Netflix series based on The Witcher sounds truly amazing, but again so did Iron Fist... At least this has the guys from The Expanse as executive producers, but ever since Iron Fist I've been worried about Netflix's quality control.

Iron Fist was by the guy who did the last 4 seasons of dexter. Anyone who thought that was turning out good as soon as that was announced was deluding themselves.

I doubt even Netflix expected it to be good, they were just contractually obliged to doing it

erawsd

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski

I may be reading too much into it, but that seems like a jab at CDPR lol

boskee

Just a reminder, that CDPR holds The Witcher trademark and back in 2015 their CEO said, that the upcoming Platige adaptation won't be able to use that name.

Randdalf

I really hope they're faithful to the way the books tell the story. It builds up from a series of disconnected short stories to an epic tale across dimensions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Percival for soundtrack or get the fuck out.

one of my dream tv series was an adaptation of this on Starz with the Black Sails producers/writers/directors behind it, plus Zach McGowan as Geralt

H7KYYfc.jpg

Meciu

In what sense? I know he's been called an a-hole but he seems nice enough to give artists a chance to do more with the world he built.

Well, he's probably not a bad guy but the fact that he's extremely salty over CDRP success makes his every action worse than they seem to be. Remember that he is the person who said "„Znam niewiele osób, które w to grały. Obracam się wśród inteligentnych / I don't know many people that played it (game). I'm surrounded by intelligent people you know". He also said in Times article that he thinks that the game success made some impact on the book's sales but the series actually lost more readers than it gained (!).

taizuke

Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) better be on the show. Don't care what he plays, i need his presence and voice.

Well, he's probably not a bad guy but the fact that he's extremely salty over CDRP Witcher makes his every action worse than they seem to be. Rember that he is the person who said "„Znam niewiele osób, które w to grały. Obracam się wśród inteligentnych / I don't know many people that played it (game). I'm surrounded by intelligent people you know". He also said in Times article that he thinks that the game success made some impact but the series actually lost more readers than it gained (!).

Yeah, he was basically salty about the Witcher games garnering way more attention outside Poland rather than his books. Pretty sure he also wasn't happy about pretty much giving away the license to CDPR, even though CDPR wanted to give back after all the success he's had. He also (probably bluffing) threatened to continue the series just to spite CDPR and make the games completely non-canon.

Sapkowski is pretty aggressive with his thoughts. 100% betting he's hoping this drowns the Witcher games in popularity.

Ultimadrago

I have no faith this will be any good.

That said, I also haven't read the books yet, so perhaps there are more well-executed approaches to that world than I think. I'll await word-of-mouth when or if the time comes I guess.

Book adaptations, no input from CDPR, an animation studio mentioning they're working on it without any actual announcement from Netflix - I'd keep expectations in check. For all we know they're doing pre production on a pilot that might not even see the light of day.

Except that Netflix green lights EVERYTHING nowadays, even the most mediocre schlock, and everyone is dying to cash in on the popularity of GoT.

The Witcher is an untapped honey pot for television. Seems like a very obvious thing for them to do. My money is on "yes".

This has so much potential. I mean if Netflix put the same amount of money into this as they did with Marco Polo, it should be something special.
In times where they pay 20 million for a stand up comedy show, it would surprise me if they didn't invest quite some money in a franchise that has Game of Thrones potential.

Khasim

What's the difference between the game and the books when it comes to story?

Games are set after the books, so not canon, and they made some questionable changes to characters and ignored important plot points for the sake of the games' story. They even ignore major plot points between each other (like no matter what you did in Witcher 1 you still start W2 in a relationship with Triss, who exploits Geralt's amnesia because she's thirsty for his White Wolf).

Top Bottom