• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

vanx0

DABmpvsXgAAuQBe.jpg

I support this!

CloudWolf

Can't wait to hate Radovid again. Fucking douchebag
If this show is based on the books, Radovid is a 6-year old during the events of the show, how can you hate a 6-year old kid? Get ready to hate Philippa Eilhart, though.

Yes, the games kinda fucked with Radovid's age.

Ahasverus

If this show is based on the books, Radovid is a 6-year old during the events of the show, how can you hate a 6-year old kid? Get ready to hate Philippa Eilhart, though.

No? They were just placed later in the timeline. And Radovid was a few years lost in another dimension with a different time passage speed. He's 20 at most.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm pondering what CDPR are best off doing here.... they could potentially let the show use the 'The Witcher' branding and such, and come off as good guys: or hold out and seem a bit dick-like (the first option, coming with a boat of $ no doubt).

If they don't have the rights to Geralt, then are they actually going to have to change his name in the show? That would be a bit off..... would that apply to all the characters and place names too also: like Temeria, Triss, Fisstech etc?

CloudWolf

No? They were just placed later in the timeline. And Radovid was a few years lost in another dimension with a different time passage speed. He's 20 at most.
Yes, they did. Radovid is supposed to be 18 in the games, yet in the he looks at least 30. And Radovid was never lost in another dimension,
Ciri is the one who fucked off to another dimension for an X amount of years.

I'm pondering what CDPR are best off doing here.... they could potentially let the show use the 'The Witcher' branding and such, and come off as good guys: or hold out and seem a bit dick-like (the first option, coming with a boat of $ no doubt).

If they don't have the rights to Geralt, then are they actually going to have to change his name in the show? That would be a bit off..... would that apply to all the characters and place names too also: like Temeria, Triss, Fisstech etc?
CDPR doesn't have the full rights to The Witcher, do they? I believe they only have the game rights, the other stuff is still with Sapowski. I mean, he fairly recently wrote a new Witcher book for which I'm pretty sure he didn't pay CDPR. Anyway, even if they do, there's no way in hell they would make this announcement before securing rights from every possible group involved.

Hystzen

Also people find out Eymhr not the calm grey character from games but a super assole

Hopefully we get Regis and Cahir

I'm sure all of that was hammered out before this official announcement.

CivRab

Atleast he can stop being salty for selling his writes to CDPR for a lump sum with the Witcher 1, I assume he's not gonna make that mistake again

Peroroncino

Doesn't CDPR have rights related only to games and not to Witcher as a whole?

Can't we have a good actor instead?

What? He was amazing in Black Sails.

Tamanator

So Sapkowski is fine with a TV series, willing to serve as a creative consultant, yet wanted nothing to do with the video games.

Why am I not surprised?

MadYarpen

The witcher trademark and name could be an issue, possibly?

IMO it would be best for them to allow the series to be called the witcher. Could mean a lot of additional copies of the game sold...

Meciu

Atleast he can stop being salty for selling his writes to CDPR for a lump sum with the Witcher 1, I assume he's not gonna make that mistake again

It would be hilarious if the story would repeat itself. Be smart this time Sapkowski.

boskee

CDPR doesn't have the full rights to The Witcher, do they? I believe they only have the game rights, the other stuff is still with Sapowski. I mean, he fairly recently wrote a new Witcher book for which I'm pretty sure he didn't pay CDPR. Anyway, even if they do, there's no way in hell they would make this announcement before securing rights from every possible group involved.

They do have the rights to "The Witcher" TV shows, films, gadgets etc. They also own "Geralt" trademark

and back in 2015 CDPR's CEO said that Platige will have to use different name

JBwB

It'll be based off of the books and not the games right? The potential is so damn high for this series.

The first two books were absolutely amazing so if they manage to do right by those short stories it's definitely going to be a must watch.

If they're also tackling the Ciri saga then it'll be very interesting to see how they go about doing so.

boskee

LOL what kind of contract did Sapowski sign on hahahahah

He didn't coin the term The Witcher.

Although wiedźmin has been translated as "witcher", the translation preferred by Sapkowski was initially "hexer" (the title of the film adaptation). Hexe and Hexer are the German words for "witch" and "warlock" respectively; CD Projekt used "witcher" for the title of its video game,[13] and Danusia Stok used it in her translation of Ostanie życzenie. Sapkowski used the word "witcher" in his book Historia i Fantastyka, and Michael Kandel used "spellmaker" in his 2010 translation of "Wiedźmin".

MadYarpen

What? He was amazing in Black Sails.

Seriously? Imo he is an actor of one voice tone, one face expression and zero emotions. Good to play one-dimensional thug, but surely not Geralt.

I really hope they give this a good budget and put a lot of effort into it because it has potential to be amazing! I'm really happy to hear this news though.

Now let me google actress's who can play qween Yen.

matmanx1

Luke Cage post ep 6 kept getting worse and worse. Daredevil s2 was incredibly mediocre compared to 1, terrible writing. Iron Fist was all bad.

Last 3 I watched. I've got Sense8 s2 on my plate next.

I agree with Luke Cage, mostly. Overall I still found it to be worth a watch. D s2 I loved though. I find it to be overall cooler and more fun than s1, mostly because of the actions of certain characters. Iron Fist I just started but the first episode was decent.

Overall though I have found the quality of the Netflix produced stuff to be quite high and if this has the guys from The Expanse at the helm then I have high hopes for it. The Expanse is pretty darn good.

Top Bottom