• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

jett

D-Member
Who knows how this will turn out, to be honest.

Just a reminder, that CDPR holds The Witcher trademark and back in 2015 their CEO said, that the upcoming Platige adaptation won't be able to use that name.

That would be kind of an asshole move if they wouldn't "let" the Witcher creator use the title of his own books.

edit: CDPR themselves came up with the title "Witcher" huh? You know, I still think they should just let them use it. :p

Hoooooly shit!

The Expanse producers, that's a good sign, that show is amazing.

It sounds like they've got a good start here, hopefully the casting will be on point.

I humbly submit Anson Mount as Geralt, pls kthx!

That would be kind of an asshole move if they wouldn't "let" the Witcher creator use the title of his own books.

Being a Polish series it's called Wiedźmin over there, but doesn't directly translate as "Witcher" at all. The author even wanted to call it "Hexer" for international audiences. I suppose he could always try that out now, but it didn't work well last time =P But far more likely they'll work out a licensing deal, since everyone wins that way. Especially if the show does well (CDPR will hate themselves if it takes off under a different name).

Peroroncino

edit: CDPR themselves came up with the title "Witcher" huh? You know, I still think they should just let them use it. :p

After so many comments from Sapkowski straight up shitting on them? Nah. I'd understand if they wouldn't agree to that. But I'd like them to look past that and take the high road, this could potentially help The Witcher brand, not to mention tons of fans are probably excited for that series right now.

keraj37

I am not sure, you guys have seen this (polish language, sorry :()

https://youtu.be/4vof0WyWDTQ?t=46

2017-05-17_15_49_45-_P_Wieku_Poezji_P_niej_Al.png

2017-05-17_15_50_06-_P_Wieku_Poezji_P_niej_Al.png

2017-05-17_15_51_03-_P_Wieku_Poezji_P_niej_Al.png

CloudWolf

Yeah, the games are called The Witcher, the English translations of the books are called The Witcher, no way that this show won't be called The Witcher.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Expanse is a wonderful show more people need to watch ASAP. Producer involvement from that space opera TV show is a good sign.

Skronk

Banned
The Witcher short stories are perfect for a villain of the week series.

It would be awesome to see the Bloody Baron story play out on screen but I've heard the original writer wasn't that big of a fan of the games so probably not.

jett

D-Member
Being a Polish series it's called Wiedźmin over there, but doesn't directly translate as "Witcher" at all. The author even wanted to call it "Hexer" for international audiences. I suppose he could always try that out now, but it didn't work well last time =P But far more likely they'll work out a licensing deal, since everyone wins that way. Especially if the show does well (CDPR will hate themselves if it takes off under a different name).
Yeah I think it's in their best interest as well.
After so many comments from Sapkowski straight up shitting on them? Nah. I'd understand if they wouldn't agree to that. But I'd like them to look past that and take the high road, this could potentially help The Witcher brand, not to mention tons of fans are probably excited for that series right now.
CDPR has literally made a living out of the guy's creations, I think they'd have to be incredibly petty to forbid them from using the name.

Supposedly, Adrian Chmielarz came up with it when he was pitching the first failed attempt at making a Witcher game, around 1997.
That's interesting.

Yoda

A lot of this show will ride on A) Casting Geralt correctly, B) Sticking the the pre-existing story and not trying to cater to the lowest common denominator of TV audiences. Netflix has a decent track-record so far, hopefully they give this project to a respectable team.

Kumquat

I brought this up in the other thread but will bring it up here too.

I wonder what the chances of getting a Cyberpunk 2077 Netflix series are if this does well and the upcoming game does good which I expect it to.

dreamfall

Hoping for the best! Incredible news - love the books, fan translations and the games. I really hope they do justice to the series!

giphy.gif

INTO MY VEEEEINS! I hope it's good. I have been telling everyone to read the books and/or play the games, but they either aren't gamers or can't be assed to read. Hopefully this series will be able to convert them.

StarPhlox

This is probably the best use of that license since the books. Not to say the games are bad, but I spent most of The Witcher 3 wishing I was watching the story unfold rather than playing it.

Inspector Q

It's crazy because I just started reading the Witcher novels about a week ago in preparation of playing part 3. For some reason it didn't even occur to me that the Witcher novels were all prequels to the games and actually develops a lot of the characters you meet in Witcher 1, 2 and 3.

Kind of bummed I played through Witcher 2 without that knowledge, but I am looking forward to checking out part 3 after reading the books. Should be cool.

Anyway, the books have been great so far and this show could potentially be amazing if done well. Luckily, Netflix has done a pretty good job with their Marvel shows so I hope they do the same with this. We'll see, I guess.

Wow, that's surprisingly high quality for back in the day. Especially with the Euro janky origins :p

PC-only, 2007. It was definitely janky but it was still one hell of a game, especially with the Enhanced Edition. A bit too .. unique .. for the widespread success of 3 while still being clearly part of the same series, the evolution if the series has been fascinating.

Iron Fist was by the guy who did the last 4 seasons of dexter. Anyone who thought that was turning out good as soon as that was announced was deluding themselves.

I doubt even Netflix expected it to be good, they were just contractually obliged to doing it

Haven't seen Dexter past the first season, so I wouldn't know. :)

If I remember correctly The Defenders will be by one of the Daredevil guys, so hopefully it won't crash and burn. Frankly if it's half as good as Daredevil I'll be happy.

mileS

Andrzej will finally get some green. Will it make him shed his grumpy grampa persona, you ask? Stay tuned.

The part about this that makes me scratch my head the most. He was extremely sour about the thought of new fans that would only know the Witcher from the game series and think the books are based off that. Replace game series with Netflix series and what do you get? possibly the same thing. At least he'll be getting some money. Hopefully he will be less fucking grumpy about everything now.

Also, did someone seriously say Emma Stone should play Triss? bahaha wtf. Gotta love when casting comes down to basically nothing but hair color. Also there would be 0 budget left.

I may be reading too much into it, but that seems like a jab at CDPR lol

if interviews with this guy are anything to go by... this is a 100% jab.

wrowa

I actually would understand if CD Projekt doesn't want to see their brand name attached to a project they have no creative influence over. The author willingly distanced himself from the game series and at this point books and games are pretty much two different entities. CD Projekt's vision for the future of Witcher is not dependent on the author and if this show is conflicting their vision then, well, why would they support it with their name? I don't think this would necessary be good PR, either. Really depends on what this show will actually be like.

This is all just in theory, though. I do expect that both parties will gladly work something out.

Top Bottom