• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

Peroroncino

Anson Mount [Cullen Bohannon from Hell on Wheels] also wouldn't be a bad choice for Geralt in my opinion:

cdd095ffae9ca3f36bb58b207824f1fa.jpg

Sai

+1 for Viggo as Geralt.

Nah, this time around he's probably gonna be smarter and secure himself a bit of dough. Meaning he'll be busy getting shitfaced on lager or vodka. :)
Lol, that would be nice for those he's working with. But, I'd still like to see him involved to properly realize his vision of the world and its characters.

Hopefully they'll find some nice middle ground. The author just seems to have such a needlessly difficult personality.

poodaddy

Please please please please please PLEASE don't fuck up my favorite franchise Netflix. Just saw the latest Dark Tower trailer and I wanted to cry, I can't handle another believed novel franchise being shit on.

Flipyap

You guys are like the "Guess Who?" board of casting directors. Long hair? Graying? Facial hair which this version of Geralt would likely not wear? I think we've got our lead actor!

You guys are like the "Guess Who?" board of casting directors. Long hair? Graying? Facial hair which this version of Geralt would likely not wear? I think we've got our lead actor!

Bonus points if they're a cosplayer with no actual acting experience!

"Lex Luthor is bald, you know who else was bald once...Bryan Cranston! Perfect casting choice".
"Cable has white hair so we need someone with white hair. What about the bad guy from avatar? HOLY Shit we are on to something here".
"Thanos has a big head so we need an actor with a big head...Ron Pearlman HAS to play Thanos!"

Randdalf

It's pretty funny because they're mostly all handsome and dashing, whereas if I recall correctly, Geralt in the book is frequently referred to as being ugly. But then again it's an American TV show so everyone's going to look like a model. Although that actually makes sense for the sorcerers and sorceresses as they use magic on themselves to feign beauty.

g11

Looking at the some of these cast suggestions this thing will cost $100M before they shoot the first frame.

Either way they go with the cast, very good pick up by Netflix IMO. After Wild Hunt there's definitely more of an audience for The Witcher than ever and if Netflix does it right, Game of Thrones has proven that a fantasy show can be huge with the general public. Plus there's so much in the books none of the games have touched on. Even Wild Hunt is basically just kinda sorta an adaptation of the very last book. The Ciri story has four more books of backstory to it and some of the characters in it are my favorites. Milva, Angoulême, Emil Regis... There's a lot of great writing in those pages.

Stiler

Just thought of an actor that I think could fit a younger Geralt,

Wes Bentley,

F22sIqB.jpg

if he can have a more gruffer voice that is.

The guy who played Vane in Black Sails would be great too,

Y8CsLcJ.jpg

Thorrgal

Yeah, he was basically salty about the Witcher games garnering way more attention outside Poland rather than his books. Pretty sure he also wasn't happy about pretty much giving away the license to CDPR, even though CDPR wanted to give back after all the success he's had. He also (probably bluffing) threatened to continue the series just to spite CDPR and make the games completely non-canon.

The games are completely non-canon already though...

13ruce

Banned
Andrzej Sapkowski finally getting the recognition he deserves. Would be strange indeed if it was related to Projekt Red.

Can't wait!

Thorrgal

Not at all. The plot is esentially the same. It's weird and requires the player who's read the books a very strong effort on their side to suspend their disbelief. I have yet to read LOTR and saw the movies ages ago, but imagine a new RPG game retelling esentially the same story, just set years after the novels, so that Frodo's back at the Shire until Gandalf visits and assigns him the task of getting back to Mordor with a new ring. And then every event of the books with minimal modifications happens again sooner or later.

It's weird.

What

Thorrgal

Btw people talk about books one and two but those books are antologies of the short stories Sapjowski wrote for various magazines (or 1 magazine, not sure), not books "per se".

The stories are amazing but i don't see them making 2 seasons of them and then starting the Saga. I think it will start with the Saga from the get go, and as someone suggested maybe insert some stories as flashbacks here and there. They could of course use The Last Wish as the pilot.

Kumquat

Anyone else down with NPH playing the part of Dandelion? Dude can sing, has great acting chops, and I think he could nail the entire role.

Thorrgal

Anyone else down with NPH playing the part of Dandelion? Dude can sing, has great acting chops, and I think he could nail the entire role.

Dandelion cast will be crucial as he is much more present in the books than in the games, and some would argue much more interesting than Geralt. Not sure who NPH is though

Exentryk

Looking forward to it. I'd be a little more confident if CDPR were involved, but the Netflix team might be able to pull it off. Let's see.

Exentryk

I'd also prefer if they didn't reuse any characters from Game of Thrones. The Witcher has a similar vibe to GoT, and having different characters would be better.

Hmmmm... no CDPR involvement makes me a little suspect only because they've handled The Witcher material so well.

I guess the big question is whether this is live action or CGI or some other kind of animated? It's cool to see things in live action but with something like The Witcher games, I don't really know how you top that visually in terms of realizing that world, unless you're getting some huge budget.

Top Bottom