• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

Budi

Looking forward to this. I've enjoyed atleast Narcos and House of Cards from Netflix (Daredevil is decent too), hopefully this also delivers.

For the casting, Viggo, Mads and Clive all would be great choices. Can't come up with better on my own at the moment. Also Eva Green for Yennefer would be excellent indeed. Some of these actors (and cosplayers) mentioned in this thread though, yikes! Awful casting can make this very unappealing to me, even though I love the franchise and it's characters.

Javier23

Banned
I'm sure we won't see Ciri as a 10y old, at least not played by the same actress.

I also think they have to start the Saga from the get go, not do 2 seasons of short stories and then start the Saga...that'd be weird
Ciri is a kid for the larger part of the series. By the time the books end she's about 15-16. The Ciri we see in the games is CdProkect's own version of the character and has nothing to do with what will come out of this.

d3vnull

one of my dream tv series was an adaptation of this on Starz with the Black Sails producers/writers/directors behind it, plus Zach McGowan as Geralt

H7KYYfc.jpg

He would be a great Geralt.
o-BLACK-SAILS-facebook.jpg

Donos

He would be a great Geralt.
o-BLACK-SAILS-facebook.jpg

nose to dominant.

Although Mads seems perfect i would be open for other Geralt's :) (better use that money for proper CG) but Eva Green as Yen is a no brainer, just look at her face/expression. Yen is sitting on a high horse most of the time and Green nails that vibe totally. Just getting some pretty actress, making a sassy/cocky face all the time, won't do it.

Yen has to be "i hate her but i have a boner" while watching the series > Eva Green.

Javier23

Banned
nose to dominant.

Although Mads seems perfect i would be open for other Geralt's :) (better use that money for proper CG) but Eva Green as Triss is a no brainer, just look at her face/expression. Triss is sitting on a high horse most of the time and Green nails that vibe totally. Just getting some pretty actress, making a sassy/cocky face all the time, won't do it.

Triss has to be "i hate her but i have a boner" while watching the series > Eva Green.
You mean Triss or Yen?

Thorrgal

But the short stories are meant to establish the universe and how Geralt met with Ciri as well as Yennefer. Starting with the saga from the get go would confuse a lot of newcomers.

That can be easy fixed with some exposition and a couple of flashbacks. They won't do 2 seasons of short stories and then change the pace to an epic saga

Thorrgal

Ciri is a kid for the larger part of the series. By the time the books end she's about 15-16. The Ciri we see in the games is CdProkect's own version of the character and has nothing to do with what will come out of this.

Ciri won't be 10y old on the show, she will be 15-16

g11

That can be easy fixed with some exposition and a couple of flashbacks. They won't do 2 seasons of short stories and then change the pace to an epic saga

My guess is there'll be an opening scene explaining how Ciri came to be Geralt's ward through the Law of Surprise. Basically a condensed version of the "Something More" short story and then go back to the 'present day' starting at the beginning of the saga with flashbacks thrown in throughout as other characters are introduced (i.e. "Last Wish" when Yen shows up, ect.) and then maybe mingling in shorts from Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish throughout the saga, as Geralt is often sidetracked throughout the saga and they can be thrown in as flashbacks or potentially as filler while he is separated from Ciri.

Toby Schmitz as Dandelion

Rackham or John Silver for Dandelion would be perfect tbh.

hell, get Flint as Vernon Roche too while you're at it, all of them would be incredible in these roles.

Also as much as an Eva Green yennefer would put me in cardiac arrest I doubt this show would be able to sign her.

Thorrgal

My guess is there'll be an opening scene explaining how Ciri came to be Geralt's ward through the Law of Surprise. Basically a condensed version of the "Something More" short story and then go back to the 'present day' starting at the beginning of the saga with flashbacks thrown in throughout as other characters are introduced (i.e. "Last Wish" when Yen shows up, ect.) and then maybe mingling in shorts from Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish throughout the saga, as Geralt is often sidetracked throughout the saga and they can be thrown in as flashbacks or potentially as filler while he is separated from Ciri.

Exactly. The Last Wish would make for a good Pilot for example. And then back to present day.

Edit: Regarding Ciri, again, Dany was 13 at the start of A Game of Thrones yet they aged her to 15 for the show and chose an even older (22) actress to play her.

Santar

It wouldn't surprise me if this series only has new original characters because of the rights issue with CPR.
It very well could be that it just takes place in the world of The Witcher and uses it's concepts without Geralt and the rest of the characters from the books or games.
I mean does this sound like Geralt & Co?
”The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world,"

Mads and Eva Green would be perfection. Both of them are among my current fav actors and they'd really elevate whatever material they're given to work with.

Skux

Could be amazing in a Game of Thrones way.

Then again, Netflix doesn't exactly have the best track record...

It wouldn't surprise me if this series only has new original characters because of the rights issue with CPR.
It very well could be that it just takes place in the world of The Witcher and uses it's concepts without Geralt and the rest of the characters from the books or games.
The unconventional family is Geralt, Yen and Ciri. The truth could refer to Emhyr's background and of course Ciri, the lion cub of Cintra.

Thorrgal

It will be truer to the books than the game according to Sapkowski so ofc it will feature Geralt, Yen, Ciri and Dandelion.

And that totally sounds them ;)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Mads as Geralt and Eva Green as Yennefer would be ideal, but seem unlikely.

I'm picturing Mads as Geralt, and Kate Beckinsale as Yennefer.

Jeff Bridges as Vesemir and we're go time like Izzy Mandelbaum!!

Could be amazing in a Game of Thrones way.

Then again, Netflix doesn't exactly have the best track record...

I'm just happy it's somewhere that:

1) Pretty much has no censorship.
2) Has the most $$$ now out of any PPV service (by far)

CloudWolf

Yes, it does. Geralt, Yen & Ciri can be seen as an unconventional family and Geralt's hansa can be seen as an unconventional family. They're definitely fighting for truth in a dangerous world.

NotUS

Some great actors in this thread, but there is only one who can truly give the role of the great Geralt of Rivia justice.

uQiIYPT.jpg

Javier23

Banned
Yes, it does. Geralt, Yen & Ciri can be seen as an unconventional family and Geralt's hansa can be seen as an unconventional family. They're definitely fighting for truth in a dangerous world.
Geralt and Co have always fought for their own self-interest. The sorceresses do have their own plans but Geralt only really cares about those close to him and doing work and making money. He never really cared about politics or the fate of this or any other worlds. And the last novel of the series establishes pretty clearly that
Ciri never stopped the White Frost.
The last novel also has
Geralt and Yen helping the Emperor cover the truth about Ciri by willingly attempting to commit suicide.

Donos

hmm Kate Backinsale as Yen would work too from the looks but i don't think her acting is up to the challenge.

Truant

I really hope the tone and feel is similar to the games, even though CDPR is not involved. The games have to have had some influence on the producers.

Budi

Not true.

What would be some of his greatest roles? Doogie Howser and? I only remember him from How I met your mother and Harold & Kumar. He was funny in H&K I'll give you that. But that doesn't yet make someone a good actor. Even though I think comedy chops would be an advatange in playing Dandelion.

Manu

Yeah, I'm fine with that. She is perfect.
Nobody else will satisfy me now.
Does she do nude scenes though? I think there will be some with Yen.

lol

Eva Green has so many nude scenes I'm actually starting to suspect she asks for them as a part of her contract or something.

Decado

Yeah, I'm fine with that. She is perfect.
Nobody else will satisfy me now.
Does she do nude scenes though? I think there will be some with Yen.
Did you miss 2015? Seems like she was naked in everything. lol

Beautiful woman and a talented actress. Great choice.

Stiler

What would be some of his greatest roles? Doogie Howser and? I only remember him from How I met your mother and Harold & Kumar. He was funny in H&K I'll give you that. But that doesn't yet make someone a good actor. Even though I think comedy chops would be an advatange in playing Dandelion.

Check out A series of Unfortunate Events on netflix, he's great in it.

Top Bottom