• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix The Witcher TV series in the works (not related to CD Projekt)

Matt

What would be some of his greatest roles? Doogie Howser and? I only remember him from How I met your mother and Harold & Kumar. He was funny in H&K I'll give you that. But that doesn't yet make someone a good actor. Even though I think comedy chops would be an advatange in playing Dandelion.
How I Met Your Mother, Gone Girl, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Inviusx

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I think Viggo Mortesen would be a badass Geralt. The faces don't really match up but this series isn't based on the game at all so who cares, Viggo has all of the sword skills from his Aragorn training plus he could do the voice easily.

Budi

How I Met Your Mother, Gone Girl, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Oh yeah Gone Girl, didn't remember he was in that. Good film and good perfomance. Fincher made even Tyler Perry work in that film to be fair though =D

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I think Viggo Mortesen would be a badass Geralt. The faces don't really match up but this series isn't based on the game at all so who cares, Viggo has all of the sword skills from his Aragorn training plus he could do the voice easily.

Viggo would be a great choice, but I don't think he'd do it. He is quite picky with the project he is choosing.

Budi

Viggo would be a great choice, but I don't think he'd do it. He is quite picky with the project he is choosing.

Yeah as much as I would love having him, I don't think he even wants to attach himself to a project for such a long time at this point.

Tsukumo

I will kickstart this show with all the money I have if they get Viggo.

wouldnt surprise me if it's just a temporary description, but this makes it almost sound like a sitcom or something.

How I Met Your Witcher, starring Josh Radnor as Geralt, Cobie Smulders as Yennefer, Alison Hannigan as Triss, Neil Patrick Harris as Lambert, etc.

I'm an awful person.

ryanofcall

Why now? I need them to start casting in 3 years so I can audition (not allwoed to audition for stuff while I'm in drama school)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
This is great news for the show because:

1) It's a brand that's recognised world over, anything that helps this show's popularity (if it's good) is great.

2) Shows that they must have come to some form of agreement with CDPR re: the rights, show's that Netflix is taking this very seriously.

Why CDPR? If anyone has to agree on anything, it'd be with Andrzej Sapkowski.

Cdpr owns the name The Witcher. But they've also been known to be extremely easy going when people are willing to work with them and it won't come to bite them in the ass later, so they must have come to a legal agreement to protect their rights to the name.

Kinyou

While the games aren't the source material for this, even it acknowledges the "family" dynamic between the main cast. Late game "spoilerish" clip for Wild Hunt https://youtu.be/U8s0C8pvIRk?t=20 not sure why people are so hung up on it.
A family dynamic is fine, but putting it right there in the description is strange.

I'm pretty sure the backcovers of the witcher books aren't talking about a family.

Wouldn't they be basing the stories on the books? Seems to me people are thinking it'll be based on the games, stories that take place a whole lot further into the Witcher universe.

Anyway, Eva Green! Eva Green! Eva Green! Please be Eva Green as Yennefer!

Christina Hendricks for Triss.

Budi

A family dynamic is fine, but putting it right there in the description is strange.

I'm pretty sure the backcovers of the witcher books aren't talking about a family.

Have they said if they are going to adapt stories from the book directly, or create their own based on the books like CDPR did? Do we know what aspects of the stories the Netflix series is focused on? Maybe that description will be very fitting.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Andrzej Sapkowski doesn't own the name "The Witcher". CDPR does.

Ah, I see. Weird situation for an IP. Good on them for being easy-going on it.

Offtopic, but I picked up the book series again (only read the first two bundles of short stories and Blood of Elves) and there is so much more material to use in games, makes me hope CDPR returns to it some day.

Ah, I see. Weird situation for an IP. Good on them for being easy-going on it.

Offtopic, but I picked up the book series again (only read the first two bundles of short stories and Blood of Elves) and there is so much more material to use in games, makes me hope CDPR returns to it some day.

Id give it a solid 'please no'.

They've already said what they wanted to say with Geralt and friends. Returning to him at this point and continuing the story is impossible considering the ending of 3, and doing a prequel to 1 would be a retread considering they started how they did to have creative freedom seeing how they placed the start of the first game at the end of the last main novel with a time skip of sorts.

I hope they don't return with ciri, because that character is overpowered so they likely would have to nerf her and regardless her gameplay was completely different seeing her powers aren't Witcher like. Main reason would be though that with making ciri return you'd be returning other recurring characters from Geralts time, and I want these characters to retire they deserve as much after the Witcher 3.

Better to not limit yourself to returning to book characters if you can create a whole new narrative based off this rich world. Maybe a Witcher in the times they were more prominent? Or one in the future from the Witcher 3 title where the profession has boomed again?

Gothos

So there will be Ciri in the show, interesting. Was expecting some more straightforward witcher plot and Ciri for the second season...

Kinyou

Have they said if they are going to adapt stories from the book directly, or create their own based on the books like CDPR did? Do we know what aspects of the stories the Netflix series is focused on? Maybe that description will be very fitting.
I'm not sure if they've said anything either way, but the description does seem to point a bit more towards the latter.

Imagine if this man played Geralt...

ESnliK5.jpg

Flipyap

How are you guys weirded out by the family part of the description? Geralt isn't great at expressing himself, but Ciri and Yennefer openly use familial terms.
It's the "fight for truth" part that makes no sense. For the most part, that family just wants to be left alone.

Id give it a solid 'please no'.

They've already said what they wanted to say with Geralt and friends. Returning to him at this point and continuing the story is impossible considering the ending of 3, and doing a prequel to 1 would be a retread considering they started how they did to have creative freedom seeing how they placed the start of the first game at the end of the last main novel with a time skip of sorts.
There's nothing about the ending of the third game that makes it impossible to continue his story. The novels had a much more "final" ending, yet that didn't stop CD Projekt Red from throwing it all away and pushing the reset button on a whole bunch of plotlines.
The endings of the main game and Blood & Wine are already incompatible enough, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they added another epilogue to this epilogue to an epilogue.

Randdalf

Family could mean Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri...

Or Geralt,
Dandelion, Milva, Cahir, Regis and Angoulme

But if they start with the short stories neither description really makes sense.

Dec

So there will be Ciri in the show, interesting. Was expecting some more straightforward witcher plot and Ciri for the second season...

Ciri is the entire plot of the books. The games only took a while bringing her back because they had to sufficiently untie the ending of the book series.

And by untie I mean pull some amnesia crap and not bother explaining why certain characters who witnessed the end of the series are only like "oh Geralt haven't seen you in a while man where you been?".

Flipyap

Ciri is the entire plot of the books. The games only took a while bringing her back because they had to sufficiently untie the ending of the book series.

And by untie I mean pull some amnesia crap and not bother explaining why certain characters who witnessed the end of the series are only like "oh Geralt haven't seen you in a while man where you been?".
It's not like they did any work to untie the end of Ciri's original story. It doesn't seem like it ever even happened in the video game continuity.
They could have just as easily brought her back in the first game, instead they chose to take the broad premise of her character and invented a pointless new kid MacGuffin.

Carn82

crossposting / bumping:

Netflix updated the description.. much better now!

The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.

Top Bottom