• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetworkingGAF: Help with port forwarding?

I am at my wit's end with opening ports for gaming on my PS4 and PC.

I know how to open ports in my network's firewall for specific devices, but I am still showing a "moderate" connection in PC games and on PS4 (Type 2). When I visit port checking sites to test, instead of showing my specific device's static IP, it shows my router's external IP. However, in my provider's network configuration tool, there isn't a way to open ports for my router, just for specific devices.

I know I am missing a crucial step, probably having something to do with IP passthrough or creating a public subnet, but I am so lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have AT&T service over an Arris BGW210-700 router.

cormack12

Gold Member
Not sure but I think Type 2 is standard if you're behind a router on PS4. You can always use a DMZ per device but you shouldn't need to.

Despite the connection detection are you able to play games and is your latency/ping ok?

I am at my wit's end with opening ports for gaming on my PS4 and PC.

I know how to open ports in my network's firewall for specific devices, but I am still showing a "moderate" connection in PC games and on PS4 (Type 2).

If moderate means ping then opening ports likely won't help anything.

When I visit port checking sites to test, instead of showing my specific device's static IP, it shows my router's external IP.

That is normal, the internet is not supposed to know anything about your internal network configuration. Your router changes packets outbound into packets that are from your external address (and vice versa for replies) so external devices can reply (they do not know how to reach your internal addresses). You can look up NAT (network address translation) for an explanation.

However, in my provider's network configuration tool, there isn't a way to open ports for my router, just for specific devices.

Yes, this is because unsolicited packets are by default blocked, if you wish to have them go to a specific device, you can have your router forward all packets on a port or port range to a specific internal device. You are sharing a single external IP among multiple devices. If I send a packet to your IP and it is not a specific reply to a connection you initiated, then your router doesn't know what to do, so it just ignores the packet by default. If you tell it to forward instead, then it will send that on to a specific device. It would not make sense to broadcast all packets on a port to every device on your network because multiple can reply and things will get really confusing for the incoming connector.

I know I am missing a crucial step, probably having something to do with IP passthrough or creating a public subnet, but I am so lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have AT&T service over an Arris BGW210-700 router.

I think the only thing you're missing is conflating ping (likely what the 'moderate' is measuring) with anything to do with port forwarding.

I am not a networking expert.

Chinbo37

I am no expert but this is what I do;

- First you have to get into your router and open the port
- Then download teh free utility from https://portforward.com/ and check if the port is open on both sides - TCP and UDP

this utility is better than checking on one of those websites. If its not open on both sides TCP and UDP then something is wrong.

llien

When I visit port checking sites to test, instead of showing my specific device's static IP, it shows my router's external IP.
That's normal, "static IP" of your device is not routable outside your network. (I assume you use either 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)

PS4 is using the following ports:
  • TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480
  • UDP: 3478-3479
If PS4 reports NAT type 2, you are good already.

Getting NAT type 1 could be achieved by assigning REAL IP to your PS4 (well, highly unlikely you get second IP from your provider) or, if I am not mistaken, using setting your PS4 as DMZ (de-militarized-zone = all incoming connections will be forwarded to PS4)

What are you trying to achieve, actually?

bati

It sounds like you don't know exactly what you're trying to do. Port forward basically means that you allow the incoming packets that hit your public facing IP on a specific port and pass them to a specific internal address that's defined locally. You'll have to fill the forwarding table for both of your devices manually, just opening the ports on your router isn't enough. If your router and devices support UPnP you can also try that.

Top Bottom