• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nevada/South Carolina Primary Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

thefro said:
Per CNN, HUGE African-American turnout in Vegas for Obama, and huge Culinary Worker turnout for Obama.

Clinton's senior strategist is on MSNBC right now preparing us with what is going to be the Clinton rallying cry in case of a loss: "The unions control the Vegas caucuses, so that gives Obama a 6% advantage, and we should factor that in [as in, subtract 6% from Obama] when we look at the final outcome."

Genius, but depressing as hell. Unless Obama wins by 8 points, Clinton is going to claim victory tonight. Only thing going in his favor so far is the media seems to be pretty resistant to embrace that angle.

Gaborn

Juice said:
I was only caught off guard because I barely remembered the Republicans had a caucus today. That side of the field is just so less interesting.

Edit: I've known it for years and still have a hard time seeing Richardson as a Hispanic and not a husky, raspy diplomat.

Howso? there are quite literally 5-6 candidates that are in strong contention to get the nomination. On the Democratic side there are 2 with a good chance.

Cheebs

Gaborn said:
Howso? there are quite literally 5-6 candidates that are in strong contention to get the nomination. On the Democratic side there are 2 with a good chance.
its just more depressing, not one of them are capable of winning a general except perhaps mccain.

Plus there is no one on that side young people are into and get excited about unlike obama

Juice

Cheebs said:
its just more depressing, not one of them are capable of winning a general except perhaps mccain

^That. The only one interesting is McCain, and that's because a McCain - Hillary match-up is probably the only one the Republicans could win.

Gaborn

Cheebs said:
its just more depressing, not one of them are capable of winning a general except perhaps mccain.

Plus there is no one on that side young people are into and get excited about unlike obama

I think we'll let the voters decide that, though in all honesty with one exception I think I'd mostly prefer obama to most of the Republicans running (Worse on some issues, at least neutral on others). I do think though that Paul tends to attract younger voters on the whole in a way the other Republicans do not.

Juice

Gaborn said:
I think we'll let the voters decide that, though in all honesty with one exception I think I'd mostly prefer obama to most of the Republicans running (Worse on some issues, at least neutral on others). I do think though that Paul tends to attract younger voters on the whole in a way the other Republicans do not.

Cheebs' comment wasn't deciding something in place of the voters, he was simply reporting exactly what voters have been telling us (through 06 elections, polls, empirical evidence) that the Republicans have a very very tough go at it ahead in November.

"Not letting the voters decide" is what the primaries are for. You can blame the major parties for that.

If McCain wins the GOP nomination, Hillary or Obama will need to do everything she/he can to destroy the bullshit maverick/independent mystique he's acquired. He's still a Bush Republican; that undeserved reputation is the only reason why he's competitive in the polls.

Cheebs

Gaborn said:
I do think though that Paul tends to attract younger voters on the whole in a way the other Republicans do not.
you cant say that when he keeps getting around 5th place in most states. That isn't being energized.

Turnout is low on the gop field overall, turnout is high for democrats.

OBAMA-TON:

Senator Barack Obama: 100%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 0%
Senator John Edwards: 0%
Senator Mike Gravel: 0%
Congressman Dennis Kucinich: 0%
Uncommitted: 0%

.17% RECORDED!

Juice

Father_Brain said:
If McCain wins the GOP nomination, Hillary or Obama will need to do everything she/he can to destroy the bullshit maverick/independent mystique he's acquired. He's still a Bush Republican; that undeserved reputation is the only reason why he's competitive in the polls.

That reputation is absolutely deserved up until 2003 or so when he began recruiting support in the party establishment to make a serious run now. They can attack him for that, but his long-term career is very "independent."

*horse whinny sound*

Senator Barack Obama: 63.64%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 27.27%
Senator John Edwards: 9.09%

.51%

:(

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Cheebs said:
you cant say that when he keeps getting around 5th place in most states. That isn't being energized.

uh, CNN just showed exit polling which showed that Paul picked up 45% of younger voters in Nevada (i believe it was under age 40)

Hootie

BenjaminBirdie said:
OBAMA-TON:

Senator Barack Obama: 100%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 0%
Senator John Edwards: 0%

.17% RECORDED!

More like Hillary ClintBOMB amirite?

/fail

Gaborn

Cheebs said:

Agreed, but my comment still stands with regards to 18-29 year olds. on average Paul attracts a much higher percentage of those voters than his 4th-5th place finishes would suggest he would. The problem is those voters are difficult to get out to vote so they represent a smaller number than say the 30-45 demographic.

Agreed as well, I do think it is probable that the Democratic candidate will win in 08, but then I thought the same thing in 2001 (not that I was an Al Gore fan particularly). The problem with projecting that a particular party will win the GENERAL election is that voters are going to be dissecting both parties nominees for months and both sides will be looking for defining moments and scandals to try to achieve success, nothing is certain yet.

Hootie said:
More like Hillary ClintBOMB amirite?

/fail

No! I liked it!

(Senator Barack Obama: 66.67%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 25%
Senator John Edwards: 8.33%

.57%)

thefro

Senator Barack Obama: 53.33%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 40%
Senator John Edwards: 4.44%
Congressman Dennis Kucinich: 2.22%

2% in now

Why is CNNs % off compared to the website with the real time updates? CNN has is 64% to 29% for Obama while the website has a virtual deadheat...

Cheebs

Shawnwhann said:
Why is CNNs % off compared to the website with the real time updates? CNN has is 64% to 29% for Obama while the website has a virtual deadheat...
cnn is slower than the website

Senator Barack Obama: 48.81%
Senator Hillary Clinton: 45.24%

Juice

Shawnwhann said:

I believe it's because they have journos on the ground at larger sites who are hearing the results as they're being transmitted to the central party site. There's a good chance they're getting some of the information early, and some of the information late to merge in. Net result is that their percentage probably over-bids the Clark county precincts.

Shawnwhann said:

MSNBC has about the same numbers as CNN, with more precincts reporting.

I don't know who to believe...

Cheebs

Juice said:
I believe it's because they have journos on the ground at larger sites who are hearing the results as they're being transmitted to the central party site. There's a good chance they're getting some of the information early.
no they are slower, they have less delegates counted. the website has the most delegates accounted for right now.

Hillary has taken the lead:

Senator Hillary Clinton: 50.46%
Senator Barack Obama: 43.12%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom