• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nevada/South Carolina Primary Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Cheebs said:
then thats over 80% of the american population as a whole. Even nearly every democrat voter fits that.

Right, which is exactly why I can't find a non-Christian Republican

impirius

JayDubya said:
I don't know which one of them is least capable of maintaining an erection.

I don't want to know.
What if they're looking at a young male model at the time? Then it's an important moral issue!

Juice

Cheebs said:
or a democrat for that matter, unless it is over the internet.

But the reason I'm talking about Republicans (aside from the fact this started with a comment by impirus) is because anyone who votes for a Republican is at least failing to oppose their positions on social issues, which in this day-and-age are founded on fundamentalist Christianity.

Even if everyone has the same religious background, the social position gap suggests that the people voting for Republicans are more swayed by their religious guilt.

Juice said:
To your point, the principles have shifted so dramatically, that Ron Paul is no longer a potential Republican. Libertarians used to be a stone's throw away, and now they're miles and miles away.

I think the Republican principles people really see are social: on abortion, stem cell embryo destruction, gay marriage, faith-based charity funding, school vouchers (really just public funding for fundamentalist Christian schools), war on terror as a proxy war against Islam, the Constitution as being a platform for adding on evangelical axioms.

You take all of that horse shit and then you add on a huge lack of desire for military/intelligence transparency and pro-corporation fiscal-conservative leanings and you have what defines the Republican party.
Personally, I never thought they were very close to Libertarians. They talk like it sometimes with 'fiscal responsibility' rhetoric but the GOP have always been hugely pro-deficit in their actual actions.

Juice

speculawyer said:
Personally, I never thought they were very close to Libertarians. They talk like it sometimes with 'fiscal responsibility' rhetoric but the GOP have always been hugely pro-deficit in their actual actions.

Even pre-Reagan?

For you people in South Carolina: Are you more or less likely to vote for McCain after being informed that he has a black baby?

Cheebs

speculawyer said:
Goldwater was relatively Libertarian but I'm only considering the GOP in our voter lifetimes.
Goldwater was the last one. In 1964! It's been 44 years since libertarians had any sway in the GOP. Libertarians have just as much power today in the GOP that southern racist dixiecrats have in the democrat party.

In essence both have none and are dead movements from the first half of the 20th century.

Juice

speculawyer said:
Goldwater was relatively Libertarian but I'm only considering the GOP in our voter lifetimes.

True, but Cheeb's mentioning Nixon reminded me that Republicans have for a long time run as if they were libertarians and then once they've gotten control have been hugely comfortable expanding the government to maintain control.

Eisenhower did it. Nixon did it. Ford didn't have enough time to. Goldwater, had he won, might have too.

sangreal

Cheebs said:
Yet another primary Obama is built up by the media to win

Why do you keep saying that? I've seen it several times now but I don't think its true. They are even in the polls and most of the talking heads on the news have given Hillary the edge due to her support from Harry Reid's son. The culinary union gave Obama a boost, but most of the media seems to still expect a close fight

Are you just trying to set GAF up for disappointment?

Cheebs

sangreal said:
Are you just trying to set GAF up for disappointment?
No, just his campaign can't survive if he loses. Everyone says he *NEEDS* to win it. He is behind on Feb 5th states and needs a huge boost to get caught up. SC wont do that since he is expected to win by wide margin for weeks now. (Not to mention Jesse Jackson won SC in 88 and John Edwards in 2004, it didnt help them)

The media narrative has shifted after Hillary won NH so a win for Obama is more important because he needs to have the media change its current narrative which isn't favorable to him.

As far as who will actually win, Nevada, I have no clue. It's a caucus so polling only gets you so far and doesn't really effectively take into account who somebody's second choice is. Also Nevada doesn't have the primary standing of a NH or Iowa so who knows how the turnout will be.

As far as the Republicans, I'll bet on Huckabee.

sangreal said:
Why do you keep saying that? I've seen it several times now but I don't think its true. They are even in the polls and most of the talking heads on the news have given Hillary the edge due to her support from Harry Reid's son.
yeah, my reading is that Hillary will likely win.

But then again, it is true that no one knows how to poll Nevada well since it is a caucas state. And previous turn-out was around zero since it used to be pretty late in the primary schedule, so no one knows who to poll since no one knows who is gonna show up at their caucases.

At best, it seems like he has even odds.

Oh . . . and GO RON PAUL! It would be pure gold if Ron Paul turned in a stellar performance in this state where most GOPer candidates seem to have completely ignore it.

Why is it that the GOPer candidates have largely campaigned in SC despite the fact that Nevada has MORE DELEGATES?!?!?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
because SC is the gateway to the South.

so far the AP and MSNBC have blew their proverbial wad and declared Romney the winner in NV.

scorcho said:
because SC is the gateway to the South.

so far the AP and MSNBC have blew their proverbial wad and declared Romney the winner in NV.
Actually, that may be the other reason they ignored that state . . . NV has a relatively strong Mormon population so maybe everyone just assumed Romney would win.

Go Mitt & Ron Paul. It would be funny to watch the flip-flop foot-in-mouth Mormon who made millions by laying off American workers in the general election. They'll be able to make awesome negative ads about him . . . talk about a target rich environment.

speculawyer said:
Why is it that the GOPer candidates have largely campaigned in SC despite the fact that Nevada has MORE DELEGATES?!?!?

First state to secede!

but also this.

From its inception in 1980 through the election of 2000, the winner of the South Carolina Republican presidential primary has gone on to win the nomination.

It represents the Southern plank of the Republican party which is the base for it.

Stoney Mason said:
First state to secede! but also this.

From its inception in 1980 through the election of 2000, the winner of the South Carolina Republican presidential primary has gone on to win the nomination.
It represents the Southern plank of the Republican party which is the base for it.
Ah . . . I see the 'southern strategy' is alive and well in the GOP. OK . . . that is definitely the reason.

Juice said:
If Romney already won Nevada, does this mean that all caucuses end in 1.5 hours??
Yeah, I find it pretty amazing that they can call it that quick.

And worse, I find it to be very unethical for them to call it that quick. Didn't the media pretty much agree to stop 'calling' elections until the polls close? I guess that doesn't work for caucuses?

Juice

MSNBC is saying that Ron Paul probably came in second. Holy shit. Nevada really does have a few libertarians.

Also, I'm still trying to get confirmation that the Nevada caucuses really close in an hour. Apparently they do; I just heard it'll be two hours before we know the outcome of Clinton-Obama.

Edit: MSNBC now reporting that the democratic caucuses are just now opening. WTF, this is giving me a headache.

Cheebs

Juice said:
MSNBC is saying that Ron Paul probably came in second. Holy shit. Nevada really does have a few libertarians.

er..you realize romney and paul were the only two candidates who were in the state at all right?

Juice

Cheebs said:
er..you realize romney and paul were the only two candidates who were in the state at all right?

I still thought name recognition would help one of the nationally leading reps would beat him out. It just shows that the Rep field is really chaotic.

Cheebs

Juice said:
I still thought name recognition would help one of the nationally leading reps would beat him out. It just shows that the Rep field is really chaotic.
caucus's really don't work like that. Candidates who actually go into the state and have precinct captains can control the voters.

Stoney Mason said:
lol. Poor Bill Richardson. They just said on CNN most Hispanics didn't realize Bill Richardson was hispanic. The ultimate irony.
:lol Well his name is 'Bill Richardson' . . . can you get any more white than that? Perhaps Bob Roberts? Or John Roberts?

But anyway, identity politics is stupid . . . vote for the person that has policies and views that most match yours, not the person who's skin-color, sex, or religious matches yours.

Juice

Cheebs said:
caucus's really don't work like that. Candidates who actually go into the state and have precinct captains can control the voters.

I was only caught off guard because I barely remembered the Republicans had a caucus today. That side of the field is just so less interesting.

Edit: I've known it for years and still have a hard time seeing Richardson as a Hispanic and not a husky, raspy diplomat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom