• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crackdown 3 information 4K 30fps on XBX ,Amazon lists "Destructible battle arena"

timberger

The PR surrounding this game has been clear as mud.

GlossyRichAsiaticmouflon.gif

That seriously looks just like Saints Row IV. Yeesh... I witnessed the world's most severe downgrade.

TS-08

Or maybe they just want something to show off at Gamescom (assuming they have a presence there this year). I believe that's where they first demoed the cloud destruction back in 2015.

Then I would expect them to say so, like they did when Sunset Overdrive skipped E3 a few years ago. I also don't know why they wouldn't allow the E3 conference to be a showcase for Crackdown 3 and then have the Sea of Thieves demo be shown at Gamescom instead, since it comes out later. The only explanation I can think of is that Crackdown 3 isn't as important of a game to Microsoft.

EvB

Then I would expect them to say so, like they did when Sunset Overdrive skipped E3 a few years ago. I also don't know why they wouldn't allow the E3 conference to be a showcase for Crackdown 3 and then have the Sea of Thieves demo be shown at Gamescom instead, since it comes out later. The only explanation I can think of is that Crackdown 3 isn't as important of a game to Microsoft.

Sea of Thieves is a new IP is a Games as a Service title and has been really positively received by the community, particularly the streaming community an the younger players that come with that.
So I can kind of see why it's getting more coverage

Ponn

Banned
I remember the reveal trailer of them using some truck and explosives to take down a building with a target. Then I remember them having to clarify where the destruction of environment came in and then the whole cloud thing came into play. Yea maybe people are misinformed but MS was being intentionally vague for multiple reasons and that initial reveal was a bit misleading then.

Regardless of all that I understand what some in this thread are trying to say by calling everyone misinformed and how the destruction was limited after the initial clarification but I have to say you're not helping to sell the game, you're making it look worse. "It was always a lesser game than you initially thought" Well, ok then.

TS-08

Sea of Thieves is a new IP is a Games as a Service title and has been really positively received by the community, particularly the streaming community an the younger players that come with that.
So I can kind of see why it's getting more coverage

Right. It's getting more coverage because Microsoft has more faith in it.

shandy706

The PR surrounding this game has been clear as mud.

That seriously looks just like Saints Row IV. Yeesh... I witnessed the world's most severe downgrade.

They said destruction was multiplayer before now.

You mean Saints Row IV kind of looks like Crackdown did..haha.

How does one see a downgrade of campaign mode, when that gif is of a mode that has never been shown?

You can't see a downgrade of a mode that has never even been seen ;).

anothertech

There's really no sign of the power of the cloud in that footage.
This. I think expectations were through the roof on this game due to 'cloud power' that's been touted for years. And yes, 60fps was talked about a lot, even by some of you downplaying it in this very thread.

The showing was unexpectedly dull and disappointing. Crackdown three was supposed to be one of the games that wowed us into buying the xbonx and it was far from the case.

If the game's still destructible I wonder why they showed none of it in the trailer. It was supposed to be the game's defining feature. Sucks that it seems to be stripped away from the main game.
The single player game doesn't have the cloud because people complained. What they showed was the single player campaign.

CamHostage

It actually goes prior to that, even when the game was announced at E3 2014 the press release said that destruction would be a separated online mode.

What did seem to be changed was that in 2014 they destroy a building to attack a kingpin, in 2015 they said this didn' worked in the campaign and that instead they would have a nemesis like system for taking the gangs (which is still in place)

Yeah, it's been there to know for those of us who weren't so agog by the concept to know pretty much all along. The teaser shown back then didn't make the distinction, but then again, it was just CG so I believe were just guessing that player-controlled building topples were a think when we first saw the clip, and then I assume word got out that it really happens in-game and yet not enough clarity of PR came with it. Then that kingpin-dropping thing, that's what got me in that Gamescom playthrough, that they were describing enemies being in a stage and talking about "multiplayer". I already know Crackdown to be a multiplayer experience from co-op predecessors, and they had no other footage or talk of the game to isolate the modes, so it just clicked into reasonable place.

It's personally been a bit of a shock after having some intuitive understanding of what Crackdown 3 is going to be that is not what Crackdown 3 is going to be. But it's fair to say i miseld myself, although I don't think the MS PR has done a great job of explaining the mode structure and mitigating expectations, especially during its building-toppling wowwer broadcasts. Them labeling "Wrecking Zone" mode will I hope help. Better now to clear up than to have pre-orders sell through and have consumers be pissed.

What they showed was the single player campaign.

...Which is designed to be multiplayer.

(Also, the Campaign trailer was demoed as "multiplayer", assuming the other Agents were not bots. So, not much help in clearing things up there. Little about that trailer screamed "Story Mode' or "Single Player", it was just shit being thrown around and blown up and jumped around on for fun in the third of a franchise of co-op shit-blowing-uppers.)

leeh

This. I think expectations were through the roof on this game due to 'cloud power' that's been touted for years. And yes, 60fps was talked about a lot, even by some of you downplaying it in this very thread.

The showing was unexpectedly dull and disappointing. Crackdown three was supposed to be one of the games that wowed us into buying the xbonx and it was far from the case.
If people were excited about this game and followed it (like I did), it came as no surprise that the SP doesn't have cloud destruction as it was literally mentioned like more than a year ago.

Wait till they show the bloody thing properly.

...Which is designed to be multiplayer.

(Also, the Campaign trailer was demoed as "multiplayer", assuming the other Agents were not bots. So, not much help in clearing things up there. Little about that trailer screamed "Story Mode' or "Single Player", it was just shit being thrown around and blown up and jumped around on for fun in the third of a franchise of co-op shit-blowing-uppers.)

Watch the interview with Geoff Keighly that's been posted in this thread, the trailer they showed was from the show floor demo they've got, that's meant to be a quick taste of what to expect from the co-op portion. People at E3 will get 10 minutes to get as many orbs and level up quickly, much like the demo for the OG Crackdown. It's not from the proper story mode where we'll be up against a criminal organization.

CamHostage

...the trailer they showed was from the show floor demo they've got, that's meant to be a quick taste of what to expect from the co-op portion. People at E3 will get 10 minutes to get as many orbs and level up quickly, much like the demo for the OG Crackdown. It's not from the proper story mode where we'll be up against a criminal organization.

So, are there three multiplayer modes, then?

• The co-op multiplayer portion they showed in the trailer, which is just orb racing in the standard city map
  • The Campaign mode with a story that can be played multiplayer like past Crackdowns (or can it be?)
  • The main "Multiplayer" mode, the Wrecking Zone section, which is essentially a totally different game in totally different levels

...I get how it all might fit together, I think, but my confusion doesn't feel unfounded.

(Also, this wasn't you, but the folks who keep posting something to the effect of, "Of course there's no destruction in the trailer, dummy, that's all in Multiplayer Mode!" ... You get where people are having trouble connecting the dots, no?)

Top Bottom