• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 Character reveal (Leak)

kunonabi

her fighting style is MMA?

what does that even mean?

half assed boxing skills, laying and praying, and mostly absent submission skills if we're talking the UFC.

A mix of muay thai, amateur wrestling, and jiu-jitsu if were being serious though.

Dantis

They showed like 14 seconds of a guy mashing buttons. I don't think you can judge a character off that :lol

WORST CHARACTER EVER OMG.

To be honest, I actually thought she looked pretty cool. Her hits have a lot of impact to them, which a lot of the DOA characters lack.

Im gonna have to add this to the OP since some people seem clueless.

No, you see MMA is not a fighting style, its a sport that allows all kinds of fighting styles.

Most common ones are Muay Thai, Karate, Taekwon-Do and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. And yes, most fighters combine arts from these but the fighting style is not called MMA ;D

(then again, it wouldn't be the first time a fighting game character has a silly name for him/her fighting style...some KOF characters describe the style as "Violence")

panda21

As a VF player, I don't really understand other people's excitement towards the inclusion of VF characters. I also main Pai and I'm not the least bit excited about her appearance.

It's a nice gesture from TN though. I'm glad the series is getting some outside love.

Akira is my favourite character and i'm kind of interested to try out a new interpretation of his play style. of course its not the same as a new VF game but its better than nothing

I like her.

Those facial rigs are really limiting or they haven't messed w/ the facial animations yet. That's usually the last pass anyways.

Dantis

I like her.

Those facial rigs are really limiting or they haven't messed w/ the facial animations yet. That's usually the last pass anyways.

I was thinking that. DOA has always had pretty bad facial animations though. Smiles and slightly widened eyes are the extent of their expressions.

xion4360

No, you see MMA is not a fighting style, its a sport that allows all kinds of fighting styles.

Most common ones are Muay Thai, Karate, Taekwon-Do and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. And yes, most fighters combine arts from these but the fighting style is not called MMA ;D

(then again, it wouldn't be the first time a fighting game character has a silly name for him/her fighting style...some KOF characters describe the style as "Violence")

It was referred to as "MMA" so thats what we have. I changed the OP to a more general Uses MMA.

I was thinking that. DOA has always had pretty bad facial animations though. Smiles and slightly widened eyes are the extent of their expressions.

What you see here is what you'l see in the retail game. Facial animations just isnt a focus here.

Ninjimbo

Akira is my favourite character and i'm kind of interested to try out a new interpretation of his play style. of course its not the same as a new VF game but its better than nothing
It is. I'm interested in seeing Pai's model to say the least. VF5 is starting to look a little dated to me so I'm wondering if SEGA let TN mess with the model a little bit. It might be a sign of things to come. Maybe?

That's about it though. I know Pai is going to play differently and I don't want to relearn a character that I know top to bottom in another game. I'll probably pick up Lei Fang again.

xion4360

It is. I'm interested in seeing Pai's model to say the least. VF5 is starting to look a little dated to me so I'm wondering if SEGA let TN mess with the model a little bit. It might be a sign of things to come. Maybe?

That's about it though. I know Pai is going to play differently and I don't want to relearn a character that I know top to bottom in another game. I'll probably pick up Lei Fang again.

Team Ninja has made slight alterations to them so they fit in with the rest of the cast, though they still look distinctly like themselves. Pretty good job I think.

Aside from implementing counters, the characters should play almost the same as they do in VF5FS. At least close enough that you can just jump in right away if you have prior knowledge.

At this point, MMA is a fighting style. Gyms teach it. Some fighters in the UFC list it as their fighting style. Sambo started off as a hybrid of Russian (and it's satellite states) traditional folk wrestling, Kokodan judo, karate, and boxing. Kickboxing was originally karate and boxing. Taekwondo was karate and taekkyeon. Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do is primarily wing chun, savate, and empty hand Filipino martial arts. The list goes on and on.

Just because a style started off as a hybrid doesn't make it any less of it's own original style, especially since that's how 90+% of styles start off that way.

AM2 sent over all the data for the VF models and, IIRC, Team Ninja used the VF render models as their base instead of the in-game models.

Skilletor

At this point, MMA is a fighting style. Gyms teach it. Some fighters in the UFC list it as their fighting style. Sambo started off as a hybrid of Russian (and it's satellite states) traditional folk wrestling, Kokodan judo, karate, and boxing. Kickboxing was originally karate and boxing. Taekwondo was karate and taekkyeon. Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do is primarily wing chun, savate, and empty hand Filipino martial arts. The list goes on and on.

Just because a style started off as a hybrid doesn't make it any less of it's own original style, especially since that's how 90+% of styles start off that way.

AM2 sent over all the data for the VF models and, IIRC, Team Ninja used the VF render models as their base instead of the in-game models.

I like your posts about martial arts. They give me insight into things I don't really think about, especially re: animation. :)

Makes me think about how others might perceive something.

I give you two (2) internet props.

dreamfall

I've always put the DOA games in Japanese, with subtitles. Never heard a cutscene in English until now, so I had to turn it off! But the new character does look awesome- I do like that her style is "MMA" = an amalgam of other awesome fighting styles. I am excited! So close now!

patapuf

everything is fine just about, aside from Tina's voice. But at least it's different.

I really like that they are giving the characters accents. I think it gives them personality and i prefer that to everyone speaking perfect movie english.

I'm not a native english speaker though, so i don't know how authenthic the accents sound.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
From what I gathered from the short bits and mashing she sorta looks like a fusion of old hitomi and tina overall

Edit: Woops yeah and a bit of zack I saw that stance there too x.x
V

Degen

So basically she'll become winded and slow 30 seconds into Round 1 and every fight will end in a draw via Time Up so the winner will be determined by a biased panel of judges

day 1

I'm not sure how I feel about Mila. I think a video with someone knows what he or she is doing would help give me a better idea.

New footage released by Tecmo Koei today also lists Pai under its copyright info at the end of the vid, confirming her appearance.
This video shows exactly what's wrong with DOA: you successfully hit your opponent but you're still afraid to attack.

I also thought the stun where your opponent holds their stomach was "un-holdable" but I guess not. That's disappointing.

Nome

If she's using MMA then why isn't she constantly humping her opponent on the ground? She also needs to only do non-lethal damage. Real Mila players let the timer run out every match.

KingJ2002

didn't we already know this from the DOA5 character data from the demo?

she looks fun to play with so i'm looking forward to the official reveal trailer.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So guessing, guessing and... more guessing. Great! Maybe now you understand Itagaki's famous words: "Guess faster."

Mind games, fighting games in general are all about smart guesses. Actually most competive gaming is guess based. GUESS YOU BETTER QUIT GAMING or go play tetris

DR2K

Banned
So guessing, guessing and... more guessing. Great! Maybe now you understand Itagaki's famous words: "Guess faster."

Well if you don't know your stuns and CBs then you'll be doing more guessing. It's nice to see delayed strings get beaten out by side step, that eliminates guessing and allows you to get guaranteed damage off their recovery frames.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mind games in every other fighter are all on the first hit. Once you get that, you're golden. Not so much in DOA and that's why it gets, and deserves, so much grief.

Which is why launchers are strong in it. Also a bad guess leaves you DESTROYED in DoA. Mashing for random counters in DoA is the dumbest shit in the world you could do playing it.

Skilletor

Mind games, fighting games in general are all about smart guesses. Actually most competive gaming is guess based. GUESS YOU BETTER QUIT GAMING or go play tetris

SF3, Tekken, SC, SF4, etc... > Guess wrong, get combo'ed

DoA > Guess wrong, try again, guess wrong, try again, guess wrong try again

Yes, all competitive gaming has guessing, but DoA has A LOT more than most. That's why it's sounding like the best characters are the ones that can circumvent DoA's stun system and play it like a "normal" fighter.

Which is why launchers are strong in it. Also a bad guess leaves you DESTROYED in DoA. Mashing for random counters in DoA is the dumbest shit in the world you could do playing it.

Launchers are not strong in DoA. They're only strong on Hi counter or at the end of the stun threshold. If you hit somebody with a launcher as the first hit of a stun, the juggle you'll be able to do won't be as powerful as if you play the stun game.

But yeah, I'm going to destroy counter spammers with Tina. :D

Which is why launchers are strong in it. Also a bad guess leaves you DESTROYED in DoA.
No, launchers were strong in DOA++, 2 and 3. They're not in DOA4, Dimensions or 5 because you have to successfully stun your opponent three or four times before you can launch them as high as you could in the older games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
∀ Narayan;41963064 said:
That cutscene is amazing. Watch out, The Last of Us! Watch out, Halo 4!

Joan Rivers Acting Class Students. Written by Susannah Grant (Burlesque)

A waitress wannabe MMA fighter finds the daughter of her favorite wrestler and Tina (Daughter of Bass the famous wrestler) tells her to go with her to train. Now we get in an emotional ride of punches, kicks and bounce on the next big hit.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5

Nah he aint salty at all

lPVrb.png

DR2K

Banned
SF3, Tekken, SC, SF4, etc... > Guess wrong, get combo'ed

DoA > Guess wrong, try again, guess wrong, try again, guess wrong try again

Yes, all competitive gaming has guessing, but DoA has A LOT more than most. That's why it's sounding like the best characters are the ones that can circumvent DoA's stun system and play it like a "normal" fighter.

In DOA for the player to guess right he has to put himself in a situation where he's risking half his health via extended hit stun counter or high damage throw for a chance at 15% damage. Of course there will be characters that completely ignore the stun system, but they probably won't be getting the same kind of damage.

Top Bottom