• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Human Revolution info -- new trailer, multiple hands-on impressions

adelante

The game's presentation and visuals are coming along really nicely, everything from the tech (glad to see the Tomb Raider engine making use of SSAO) to its art direction and music....HARGH release date PLEASE

Solo

Zeliard said:
?

The reverse IW?

Then it would be amazing. :p

I meant that IW borked the gameplay completely but it was at least retained the tone/atmosphere/look of the world, while to me HR looks like its beefed the gameplay back up, but the aesthetic isn't working at all for me.

epmode

Solo said:
I meant that IW borked the gameplay completely but it was at least retained the tone/atmosphere/look of the world, while to me HR looks like its beefed the gameplay back up, but the aesthetic isn't working at all for me.
I'm mostly on a blackout here but Deus Ex 1 didn't even look good at launch.

Dennis

Banned
I agree, I have said several times that I hate the gold and black nearly monochromatic color palet. It ruins the graphics. Everything looks the bland same.

The visual design is terrible quite frankly. Hopefully the gameplay can make up for it.

Whats with the super-jaggy screenshot? Its like the anti-bullshot :lol

TheApatheticOne said:
This is my most anticipated game of this year, cant wait for this one. Everything Ive seen or heard about this game makes me very excited to play it.

I feel the same way, it looks fantastic in every area shown and previewed so far. I really feel for anyone that doesn't like what they have seen, heard and/or read about this so far... you people will never be satisfied I guess

epmode

Solo said:
Thats great, but who is talking about tech?
Not me. I'm not saying Deus Ex looked bad or anything but its visual design was definitely not on par with the god-tier game design and music.

Simo

Kind of surprised at the influx of new previews and trailers, I thought SE or Eidos announced this got pushed back to Q1 2012 at least?

Does look quite interesting to be sure...

Not too pleased about those VA at the end of the trailer though, stilted and poorly delivered compared to the rest of the voice work in the trailer.

Dennis

Banned
"Here baby, let me rub your shoulders and we will see where it goes from here...."

"I can't believe she blue-balled me"

*RAGE!*

Zeliard

Solo said:

The gameplay of Deus Ex is much more important to me, as well as the choice & consequence, but I see what you're saying. If nothing else, HR is definitely going for a different sort of look, with dominant yellows instead of blues. I'm personally waiting for more vids before really judging the visuals, especially since much of what we've really seen seems to be from one major location, and mostly the interiors.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Does look quite interesting to be sure...

Not too pleased about those VA at the end of the trailer though, stilted and poorly delivered compared to the rest of the voice work in the trailer.

Truly keeping the Deus Ex spirit alive there. :p

Solo

Zeliard said:
The gameplay of Deus Ex is much more important to me, as well as the choice & consequence, but I see what you're saying.

I guess it comes down to that made DX so special to each individual. I loved hacking, augs and the rest of the gameplay, no doubt, but it was the atmosphere that pushed it over the top for me. This game looks good on its own, but it doesn't look like DX, hence my original comment. IW looked like DX and hopefully HR plays like DX, but IW didn't play like DX and HR certainly doesn't look like DX.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Solo said:
I guess it comes down to that made DX so special to each individual. I loved hacking, augs and the rest of the gameplay, no doubt, but it was the atmosphere that pushed it over the top for me. This game looks good on its own, but it doesn't look like DX, hence my original comment. IW looked like DX and hopefully HR plays like DX, but IW didn't play like DX and HR certainly doesn't look like DX.

Erm, IW looked like a Phantasy Star dungeon, not Deus Ex.

Dennis

Banned
Their impression sure sounds great. One of my most anticipated games of 2011 despite the color misstep.

I am a little sad that the various Deux Ex 3 threads here don't have more views and posts. How is that possible? It is a new Deux Ex game for crying out loud!

EviLore said:
Erm, IW looked like a Phantasy Star dungeon, not Deus Ex.
Thats....not how I remember it....but OK...

Visually IW was pretty good but your right about the tiny dungeon-like levels.

DennisK4 said:
I am a little sad that the various Deux Ex 3 threads here don't have more views and posts. How is that possible? It is a new Deux Ex game for crying out loud!

I changed the title on this one to make sure people know there's new video and impressions in here, at least.

So far I am starting to get very enthusiastic about this game.

Zeliard

DennisK4 said:
Their impression sure sounds great. One of my most anticipated games of 2011 despite the color misstep.

I think it's just as simple as most modern gamers having never played a Deus Ex game, not even IW (which they shouldn't do out of anything but sheer morbid curiosity, and only after they've played through the first).

Steam has had plenty of Deus Ex sales so there's really no excuse.

Solo

Aside from the awful color filter (which the PC master race will get rid of in no time, so Im not worried), the game looks too clean. Im hoping its just a limited area they are showing, because I require a hefty dose of filth in DX.

Solo said:
Aside from the awful color filter (which the PC master race will get rid of in no time, so Im not worried), the game looks too clean. Im hoping its just a limited area they are showing, because I require a hefty dose of filth in DX.
It's a prequel to dx. It's supposed to look cleaner.

Solo

Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's a prequel to dx. It's supposed to look cleaner.

I know the reasons, but I don't care. Trash adds character. I like my game worlds to feel lived in.

Dennis

Banned
Solo said:
I can't wait to get into a another cat-fight with Stallion Free in 'The High Res Screenshot' thread over using the ENB mod to remove the color filter in Deux Ex 3.

Zeliard

ghostmind said:
So... release date?

Nothing yet, but if they're showing this much this month (apparently another large batch of info is coming the 24th), it's probably not too far off.

dankir

I love the gold color theme throughout the game. I get a more futuristic feel from it.

Can't fucking wait either.

Dennis

Banned
This section did kind of impress me with the graphical detail and the CG certainly is high quality as you would expect from SquareEnix

StuBurns

Banned
One of the games I'm most looking forward to, still looks kind of rough to me, but I imagine they'll give it time.

NaviLink

The Rock Paper Shotgun dialog preview makes me confident that the game can be as good as we hope it will. I just hope they won't release it for holiday season, but before summer. If they release it in one year, I'll be disappointed.

sneaky77

TheVisualizer said:
I feel the same way, it looks fantastic in every area shown and previewed so far. I really feel for anyone that doesn't like what they have seen, heard and/or read about this so far... you people will never be satisfied I guess

I'm on board!

thetrin said:
You really don't need to use any detective work to realize it's from the start of the game. The dialogue fits in with Adam's origin story from earlier trailers...
The latter two sentences in my post are referring to the screenshots above. :p

Ceebs

DennisK4 said:
I can't wait to get into a another cat-fight with Stallion Free in 'The High Res Screenshot' thread over using the ENB mod to remove the color filter in Deux Ex 3.
Assuming the game looks fine without the filter there is no way I will be playing the game in yellow-vision. Most of the screenshots look like every area is filled with some sort of toxic gas.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
While I'm getting burnt out on cover systems being de riguer, I do like the fact that you have to hold the button to stay in cover, instantly popping out upon release. That should go a long way in dealing with the sticky issues most games' cover systems are saddled with.

Love the overall vibe and attention to detail called out in today's previews. I am cautiously optimistic. We'll see what else is released come Feb. 24th.

Sciz

I keep wishing that they'd have even a fragment of the Deus Ex theme in these trailers, but then I remember that we're getting an actual Deus Ex game again and the annoyance dissolves into mild giddiness.

You have my money as soon as I have a date, S-E.

Dries

Letters said:
Love the soundtrack, actually, everything about the game seems high quality. Please be good, please be good, I'm sick of only getting shooting gallery FPSs with an online focus, I really crave some great singleplayer ones with gameplay depth/variety and exploration, plus immersive atmosphere.

I know right!?! Where have they all gone? The last truly good singleplayer FPS was.. Half Life 2? But since then..? Anybody?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EmCeeGramr said:
IW kept the tone and atmosphere of Deus Ex? Wut?

HEY MAN! GIMME YOUR JACKET

Zeliard

Dries said:
I know right!?! Where have they all gone? The last truly good singleplayer FPS was.. Half Life 2? But since then..? Anybody?

There have been plenty of good single-player FPS. Latest is probably STALKER: Call of Pripyat, which was a 2010 game in most regions.

There just aren't really any games since that strive for the RPG depth exemplified by titles like Deus Ex/SS2/NOLF. Half-Life 2 certainly didn't, but it's also a very different type of series, forgoing the RPG aspect completely.

Linkified

Simo said:
Kind of surprised at the influx of new previews and trailers, I thought SE or Eidos announced this got pushed back to Q1 2012 at least?

Fiscal year 2012, meaning after 31 March 2011 :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dries said:
But seriously.. is the whole game gold and yellow?

massive turn-off if true.

I'm sure they'll put some blue in just for you.

kadab

people can say whatever they want! DAY 1 FOR ME! only i dont know if i should go for pc or ps3. i have seen a lot of previews with the ps3 version and it looked very good

Top Bottom