• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Human Revolution info -- new trailer, multiple hands-on impressions

Forkball

DennisK4 said:
Not sure what's happening here. It looks like he stabs him with the handle of the sword and it appears through the enemy's back, but then he does that elbow and the handle goes through his stomach. Huh?

DieH@rd

Banned
Forkball said:
Not sure what's happening here. It looks like he stabs him with the handle of the sword and it appears through the enemy's back, but then he does that elbow and the handle goes through his stomach. Huh?

Jancen doesent have human hands, he has swords in elbows.

kadab

Forkball said:
he is stabbing him twice. first with his left elbow(sword) in stomach, then with right elbow(sword) in back.

Dries

Zeliard said:
There have been plenty of good single-player FPS. Latest is probably STALKER: Call of Pripyat, which was a 2010 game in most regions.

There just aren't really any games since that strive for the RPG depth exemplified by titles like Deus Ex/SS2/NOLF. Half-Life 2 certainly didn't, but it's also a very different type of series, forgoing the RPG aspect completely.

Oh man.. NOLF was so awesome. The original and the sequel. Great games.

kadab said:
he is stabbing him twice. first with his left elbow(sword) in stomach, then with right elbow(sword) in back.
This one. You just see the holster (or whatever it is) on his hip move around.

That aside.... I'm refusing to get hyped on this. If it can live up to DX1 then awesome, fucking awesome even... but I'm not setting myself up to be disappointed.

JoeBoy101

Kinda hope this gets bumped to April. March is turning into an expensive and busy fucking month game wise, even without this.

Other games in March:

Dragon Age 2 (Maybe, if GAF says it doesn't suck)
Total War: Shogun 2
Crysis 2
Sims Medieval
Dawn of War II: Retribution

And a little thing known as the 3DS.

image.php

Dat shadow.

Ceebs

DennisK4 said:
LEGO Deux Ex :lol

Seriously that looks game-breakingly bad. I hope that is 360 footage.
I think the sheer number of abysmal shadows from console ports has desensitized me. I get excited when a game has proper shadows for a change.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DennisK4 said:
Whats with the super-jaggy screenshot? Its like the anti-bullshot :lol

They're being honest about the IQ on consoles. I want to give them a fucking medal.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've played up through Hong Kong on the original Deus Ex and liked what I played (ugly PS2 version) but seeing as how don't have any special nostalgia for the original I can probably get into this easier than some of the longtime fans. Looks cool to me.

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:
LEGO Deux Ex :lol

Seriously that looks game-breakingly bad. I hope that is 360 footage.
...seriously, having jagged shadows breaks an entire GAME for you? I mean, I'm a graphics horse as much as anyone, but back in the day, we cried for happiness when a game even had shadows.

Of course I've turned shadows down, or off, in games before if they're flickery or glitchy. Basically, shadows are down on the totem pole for me. Now, if the textures were incredibly blurry, if there was too much screen-shaking and post-processing to tell what is going on, or if the gameplay is designed poorly, that might break a game.

Also I've played some of the original. Even with DX10 effects on the original, this will probably look a at least a little better than the original.

VaLiancY

This game is looking very fucking good. I still haven't finished the first Deus Ex so my weekend is now booked that I think about it now.

My excitement for this is palpable. I'm avoiding the level impressions because I want to keep myself as pure as a virgin, but the interview on RPS fills me with so much hope for this game. Cannot wait.

54-46!

I'm gonna stay away from any media regarding this game from here on out, I feel like they might reveal too much before the release.

Barakov

I'm digging the Robocop like origin for Jensen. From reading RPS article it all sounds fantastic. Particularly how stealth is handled in this game.

The nebulous 2011 at the end of the trailer worries me though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zeliard said:
Hopefully that won't actually involve Quintin Smith himself offering impressions on Deus Ex: HR, but one of the others. I like him as a writer but I don't trust his ability to gauge the quality of WRPGs after that New Vegas review.

oh, that was him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm excited for this. There's a lot hanging in the balance, but it has the potential to be fuckawesome.

One problem: I hate the main character's face. Are we gonna be able to choose faces again, or will I be stuck with that moran?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
that thread hasn't too many replies because nobody want to be spoiled lol

Well, I wasn't going to open it, did it to look through GAF's master race impressions, but no way I'm going to see the video or read previews. I mean I'm gonna buy it anyway, why should I do it?

Also this game needs tesselation badly. I'm glad it's in.

This has become my most wanted game of the year. Please let this release in April. The real time cutscenes are clearly a step down from the CGI they've shown us previously, but it's still nearly Mass Effect 2 quality.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Lookin forward to this

This game looks like its coming from a Japanese studio. From the art to the Trailers...

oh and, where the "OMG BrOwnZ" army.

DennisK4 said:

I know people joke about the "looking cool / like a badass" thing, but damn, that is a badass and cool looking take down. What's amazing is that the actual animation feel entirely unique because you don't see people fighting with a blade that comes out his hand or retracts back and through his elbow.

First time through I'm definitely playing stealthy with the minimal amount murdering innocent guards (think of their families!), but second time I'm gonna go full elbow blade massacre.

EmCeeGramr said:
IW kept the tone and atmosphere of Deus Ex? Wut?

yeah, that is one of the most baffling things I've seen said about IW. IW was nightmare.

Human Revolution's only fault is in questionable "gold and black" aesthetic. I don't really mind it, though, it comes on a bit too strong. Everything else is really fantastic. And I still hold hope that different areas have different pallets. Going back to IW, most of the game felt like blue and purple glowing into you face.

Zeliard

My worry is that there probably aren't very many of those kill animations, and they'll probably get old after a while, especially since they always takes you out of the game and into a third-person view where you lose control for a moment.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zeliard said:
My worry is that there probably aren't very many of those kill animations, and they'll probably get old after a while, especially since they always takes you out of the game and into a third-person view where you lose control for a moment.
Idk, I have beaten Turok like twice and the kill animations in that still aren't old. And I do the animations for pretty much every enemy I can.

Zeliard said:

The way I see it, you can't be spamming those attacks because while it is an instant kill, lethal or not, if there is just another dude standing in the room then you're fucked. At least I hope you're not invisible while doing those animations.

as for animation variation, I think it is based on location and things like that. From all the promo material and off screen videos, I don't think there has been one repeated. But a lot of them have been varied ways of taking an enemy down (lethal, aware and dazed, unaware, nonlethal, double penetration, etc.)

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm going to call this right now...this will be a serious GOTY contender. The impressions agree that the mechanics are solid, and combined with the basic Deus Ex 1 formula and reasonable writing quality, that's really all that's needed for an amazing experience.

Top Bottom