• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Human Revolution info -- new trailer, multiple hands-on impressions

Tain

Way too much cover and iron sights. Kinda damped my excitement, I'm not gonna lie.

Can I jump in this game? This is a huge question.

DrBo42

Linkzg said:
I know people joke about the "looking cool / like a badass" thing, but damn, that is a badass and cool looking take down. What's amazing is that the actual animation feel entirely unique because you don't see people fighting with a blade that comes out his hand or retracts back and through his elbow.
Assassins-Creed-2-Glyph.jpg

Zeliard

Stallion Free said:
Idk, I have beaten Turok like twice and the kill animations in that still aren't old. And I do the animations for pretty much every enemy I can.

I've never played a game where the canned animations didn't eventually get old, basically through no fault of their own (they inherently always look the same), but since Deus Ex ideally has a wide variety in combat choice I'm hoping that won't be as much an issue.

Linkzg said:
The way I see it, you can't be spamming those attacks because while it is an instant kill, lethal or not, if there is just another dude standing in the room then you're fucked. At least I hope you're not invisible while doing those animations.

Not just invisible but also invincible - hopefully you can still be shot at while the animation is going on. Makes for better risk:reward there.

syoaran

I'm going to follow a healthy sense of scepticism about this game until its out, much in the same vein as the majority of posters here are doing. I'm rooting for Eidos to deliver a GOTY title, but I can't lie its one of the hardest sequels to make.

That music though. Hot damn, give me a full OST now!

CaLe

Tain said:
Way too much cover and iron sights. Kinda damped my excitement, I'm not gonna lie.

You guys seriously have some weird ass tastes.

Jumping is huge ?

Damn.

Tain said:

pretty sure the PCGamer preview explicitly mentioned a jump button, it's also used for transferring between two bits of cover.

Suairyu

Banned
Question to those who dislike the colour filter:
Do you dislike colour filters on principle, or just its implementation in this case?

I mean, if it's a principle thing then I'm unsure how you sat through decades of films that employ creative use of colour timing and grading - but if it's the implementation, exactly what is off about it here?

Personally I'm really digging the aesthetic. Very evocative of the high-society scenes in Blade Runner, the ones that used the choking Mayan aesthetics in decor and colour tone. It also gives things a rather industrial tone - on certain nights London has a very yellow tint to the sky; I'm seeing this as an exaggeration of that effect to reinforce future= polluted.

MoFuzz

dark10x said:
They're just trying emulate the sound of JC Denton. I think it works great for this game.
I dunno about that, he sounds nothing like JC IMO. If anything, he sounds a lot like Walton Simmons.

And yeah, chalk me up as 'against' for Adam's voice. I really like the presentation apart from that one major aspect.

What a shame.

It looks like this is further away from Invisible War and Project Snowblind (aka Deus Ex: Clan Wars at one point) and closer to the original Deus Ex, but I still kind of worry about how action-oriented and shooter-y everything looks.

Overall this looks really good and they''ve been talking a good game, I just hope they deliver.

Tain

Jumping is huge ?

Damn.

Honestly, yeah! I understand why it sounds so weird, but the last thing I want to do is feel like I'm playing a cover shooter. I'm pretty cover shootered out.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Game looks fantastic, I really feel this is a game that will shine the best on the PC. All the console footage I've seen seem to have some frame-rate and aliasing issues (more than a lot of AAA titles). Maybe they're sorted out by release.

But the trailer looks great and I feel it's possible that this game might even have a good story. I was privileged to read a part of the script a couple of years ago and unless they've changed it, there's still bits to the core storyline they haven't revealed that I thought was very interesting. The right ideas are there, I really hope they executed it well because if they did I think this game will have one of the better stories in a game ever. But we'll see.

IoCaster

DennisK4 said:
Their impression sure sounds great. One of my most anticipated games of 2011 despite the color misstep.

I am a little sad that the various Deux(?) Ex 3 threads here don't have more views and posts. How is that possible? It is a new Deux(?) Ex game for crying out loud!

Personally, I can't muster up much interest at all for this game. I'll wait and see how the PC version measures up before I even begin to get hyped.

I hate how consolitis has infected so many PC games this gen. *puke*

The bolded sentence is just a general observation about an existing trend that has made me wary of jumping on any hype train until I see evidence that the PC version of any game hasn't made too many compromises. No hidden message or accusation directed at this particular game is intended or implied.

IoCaster said:
Personally, I can't muster up much interest at all for this game. I'll wait and see how the PC version measures up before I even begin to get hyped. I hate how consolitis has infected so many PC games this gen. *puke*

If you're a Deus Ex fan, "consolification" of this game should be the last thing on your list of things to be concerned about.

You should also just be fucking happy that they're making a Deus Ex game.

Bear

Suairyu said:
Question to those who dislike the colour filter:
Do you dislike colour filters on principle, or just its implementation in this case?

They have their uses, but these yellow filters are really jarring in games that go for a "realistic" look. This isn't one of the worst examples, it's more fitting than a lot of other games that have used it this generation, but I think it would look much nicer if they heavily toned it down. It's nothing mods can't fix, and it wouldn't ruin the game either way, but I think the game could use some color.

TemplaerDude said:
If you're a Deus Ex fan, "consolification" of this game should be the last thing on your list of things to be concerned about.

That was one of the chief problems in IW and people don't want to get burned again. They don't look like they'll be making the same mistakes in this game, but it's no surprise that it's a concern.

Tain

TemplaerDude said:

Elaborate please. What should one's biggest concern be?

Why? Different people are making a clearly different game under a completely different climate. Is the franchise name supposed to automatically overcome all of that?

I'm pumped for the game and all, but damn.

Dennis

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
but I still kind of worry about how action-oriented and shooter-y everything looks.

IoCaster said:
Personally, I can't muster up much interest at all for this game. I'll wait and see how the PC version measures up before I even begin to get hyped. I hate how consolitis has infected so many PC games this gen. *puke*

Its is common to market complex, RPG-like games as action-oriented and shooter-y to people who may not be familiar with the game.

Reading the previews, I am optimistic about all the non-shooting elements of the game.

IoCaster

TemplaerDude said:

I am quite capable of choosing what concerns me, thanks.

TemplaerDude said:

stenno.png

StuBurns

Banned
I understand people being disappointed with game design compromises that relate to needing console versions, but it's either that or the game would not exist, and if you'd prefer that, it's easy enough to just ignore it I think.

Bear

StuBurns said:
I understand people being disappointed with game design compromises that relate to needing console versions, but it's either that or the game would not exist, and if you'd prefer that, it's easy enough to just ignore it I think.

For fans of the series? Not at all. In any industry with a fan base, even movies and hardware, disappointing sequels are always resented by fans. They don't end months/years of anticipation with complete indifference.

DennisK4 said:
Its is common to market complex, RPG-like games as action-oriented and shooter-y to people who may not be familiar with the game.

Reading the previews, I am optimistic about all the non-shooting elements of the game.

I'm optimistic, just hesitant. Having just replayed Deus Ex GotY and Invisible War, the failure of compromise is somewhat fresh in my mind.

StuBurns

Banned
Bear said:
For fans of the series? Not at all. In any industry with a fan base, even movies and hardware, disappointing sequels are always resented by fans. They don't end months/years of anticipation with complete indifference.
Indeed if they are hyped and play it, however if you're the kind of person who hates the consolification of beloved PC IP you shouldn't be getting hyped about a game like this anyway.

Daeda

Some info on the impressions:

The real demo lasted for 2.5/3 hours. this is rougly the first 30/45 minutes. The rest is embargoed untill feb 24th. I personally decided that it was better to only write one preview so im currious how many other sites will publish later on.

The trailer is mostly in-game and almost all is from the tutorial discussed in the article or else from the mission afterwards, which will be discussed in later previews.

Game's already full of DX references and its really hard..

glaurung

Pikelet said:
I like how they kept the ability to manually type in usernames and passwords, makes it feel more real.
Yes, but I hope that this is handled in a similar manner on the consoles. It's obviously cool on PC, but I hope that they support the bluetooth input devices and the official Sony/MS small QWERTY pads on the consoles.

Even so, I will probably double-dip for PS3 and PC.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Wait, so what's "consolified" about this game? As far as I can tell it's one of the few PC sequels that's adding new stuff (like good action) while keeping and expanding on most of the old stuff.

Daeda

Chairman Yang said:
Wait, so what's "consolified" about this game? As far as I can tell it's one of the few PC sequels that's adding new stuff (like good action) while keeping and expanding on most of the old stuff.

Almost nothing actually.. I mean, the interface is more streamlined for console users, but overall its just as complex as the first game in terms of gameplayoptions. Combat is even better if you ask me, since AI is better and its based on skill rather than stats. Im pretty confident it will be a great game.

Chairman Yang said:

yeah, there are some things that come with time, but there is a a real grid inventory. A real grid inventory. In 2011. From a developer not located on the eastern block. In a game coming on the three major platform. That alone washes away a lot of doubts I had about its raison d'être. It looks like it is going to be a sequel to Deus Ex; not a game trying to cash in whatever appeal that brand has.

And when it comes out and, hopefully, is everything it looks to be, it's great for two reasons: I have a game I've been wanting to play for years, and then I could start getting excited for Thief 4...err, Thi4f.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
IoCaster said:
Consolitis? You mean good interface design? Yeah, fuck that. The interface was the only reason Deus Ex was any good.

:rolleyes

Despera

Banned
zoukka said:
Hmm the character animation looked kinda crappy.
I agree. Even the first Deus Ex had better lip syncing...
Gotta love those over-exaggerated animations.

I hope they fix that before release, but I doubt there's enough time. Everything else looks and sounds great, but for a cinematic experience to feel whole, they need to take care of details like that.

Jumping is absolutely included. Got a relevant story for ya...when I was first starting out as the community manager at Eidos Montreal, I had to demo two different builds of the game for people. The team was still trying to pin down a control scheme at that point, so the jump button, among a few others, were placed differently in the builds. The first few times I demoed, I was sweating bullets over the possibility of messing up and pressing the grenade button instead of the jump button.

Also, Linkzg, I adore your avatar, but...Thief 4? Shhhhh! We must not talk about that! ;) Let Deus Ex have time to shine!

epmode

CaLe said:

Jumping is huge ?

Damn.
It's almost like you haven't played Deus Ex. Jumping IS huge in that game. That jumping augmentation is lovely.

Chairman Yang said:

Removing the skill system, primarily. There are other things like regenerating health, third-person cuts, and flashy one button takedowns, but like Invisible War removing skills essentially removes any stat-based customization and leaves you with a more "streamlined" aug upgrade system.

Confidence Man said:
Removing the skill system, primarily. There are other things like regenerating health, third-person cuts, and flashy one button takedowns, but like Invisible War removing skills essentially removes any stat-based customization and leaves you with a more "streamlined" aug upgrade system.

As long as they don't make some augmentations useless it will be fine.

IoCaster

dark10x said:
Consolitis? You mean good interface design? Yeah, fuck that. The interface was the only reason Deus Ex was any good.

:rolleyes

Some of the knee-jerk reactions to my post are...interesting. I'm not sure if it's just a reflexive defense of consoles in general or simple animosity to the reasonable concerns of a PC gamer. Whichever it is, there's no need for anyone to have taken offense. Let me break this down:

IoCaster said:
Personally, I can't muster up much interest at all for this game.

Specifically, this game doesn't spark any sort of tingle for me. It's an intuitive type of thing and it usually works.

IoCaster said:
I'll wait and see how the PC version measures up before I even begin to get hyped.

I thought this was a fairly clear statement.

IoCaster said:
I hate how consolitis has infected so many PC games this gen. *puke*

This is a general observation and not specifically aimed at this game, yet. In the PC Gamer preview it was noted that...

PC Gamer said:
And because the PC version isn't ready for us to play, I’m on an Xbox 360 rather than a mouse and keyboard.

This seems to indicate that the console is the focus of development and the PC version lags behind. I understand that this is the norm these days, but it's still a discouraging bit of news to me. Until I find a good, solid preview or demo of the PC version I'll hold off on getting hyped. Is that clear enough?

PC GAMER said:
The levels are littered with datapads (useful information), pocket secretaries (vital information like keypad codes), and e-zines (nicely designed news journals with lots of info on current affairs and local colour). There’s masses to read in this game.
5odn3a.gif

Confidence Man said:

The issue I have with your approach here is that you're basically absolutist on complexity. Yes, "consolization" can (and has in the past) resulted in games where productive complexity was eliminated in a misguided attempt to make things "easier" or "simpler." However, developers acting in good faith can legitimately want to simplify or streamline elements in order to focus complexity and depth in the most productive areas -- really, good designers will constantly be attempting to streamline and simplify UI and decisions everywhere they can so that they can concentrate complexity in the most worthwhile places.

I'm not sure how the augmentation system we've seen for this game is really so different from the skill system as to represent a significant loss of complexity.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Confidence Man said:
The skill system in Deus Ex was an absolute joke, and the aug system in Deus Ex 3 looks like it'll capture all of the skill system's functionality in a much more efficient way. The augs are also much richer and more complex than Deus Ex 1's, based on the info released so far. In other words, Deus Ex 3 seems genuinely streamlined, and not dumbed-down.

What's wrong with third-person cuts and flashy takedowns?

I won't defend regenerating health--it's a disease that's infected gaming--but I understand the developer's rationale for it in this particular game. Balance it against a much deeper aug system, radically improved combat and stealth, and better graphics and voice acting, and I think we're coming out pretty well, don't you?

IoCaster said:
This is a general observation and not specifically aimed at this game, yet.

Inasmuch as people are reacting (perhaps overly strongly) to your statements, it's because you're making broad statements about this trend towards consolization and then using kind of superficial things (like them showing the console versions) to support the idea that this game follows the trend when there are quite a few other elements (the inventory, the manually-entered keycodes, the wealth of readable documents everywhere, etc.) that suggest otherwise.

I don't think it's wrong to take a wait-and-see attitude or anything, but there's a lot of evidence that this game in particular is not being developed with a straight-up "let's smooth it out for consoles" approach.

Chairman Yang said:
The skill system in Deus Ex was an absolute joke, and the aug system in Deus Ex 3 looks like it'll capture all of the skill system's functionality in a much more efficient way.

There's that too. DX's skill system is like six linear paths of four upgrades. It's not particularly complex at all. A tree-based augment system (which Human Revolution has) can easily encompass all the complexity of the DX skills without losing anything.

IoCaster

charlequin said:
Inasmuch as people are reacting (perhaps overly strongly) to your statements, it's because you're making broad statements about this trend towards consolization and then using kind of superficial things (like them showing the console versions) to support the idea that this game follows the trend when there are quite a few other elements (the inventory, the manually-entered keycodes, the wealth of readable documents everywhere, etc.) that suggest otherwise.

This is precisely why I'm holding off on a direct accusation about this specific game, but I'll note that a console focused dev approach is not encouraging to me. There is a trend and it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that it exists.

IoCaster said:
This is precisely why I'm holding off on a direct accusation about this specific game, but I'll note that a console focused dev approach is not encouraging to me. There is a trend and it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that it exists.

But it comes off as more "disingenuous" to cherry-pick your evidence and ignore the bits that actively suggest this game isn't being ignorantly streamlined for a console audience, especially when you lead off with something aggressive like "*puke*" as your commentary. That's why you got jumped on. Something like "I dunno, I'm not really feeling this yet. Even with the things they're saying I'm skeptical and I want to hold off until we see how the PC version turns out" would probably have been received much better.

Top Bottom