• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dissidia Final Fantasy trailer

Jeels

I wonder if we will get villains for XI, XII, XIII, and XIV

If so my guesses are either Dr. Cid or Vayne for FFXII

For XIV I'd like Lahabrea or Teledji but I bet it'd be Gaius.

Never played XI and don't care for XIII (in fact, I'd be just fine if they skipped any references or presence to XIII at all...)

PulseONE

For XIV I'd like Lahabrea but I bet it'd be Gaius.

Never played XI and don't care for XIII (in fact, I'd be just fine if they skipped any references or presence to XIII at all...)

I'd say we're definitely getting Gabranth back at the very least

Loona

Shantotto is villain enough to have XI covered, although it's said that the Zilart bosses were considered for prior Dissidias - most other XI major bosses tend to be a bit too big for the game's system.

Shantotto is villain enough to have XI covered, although it's said that the Zilart bosses were considered for prior Dissidias - most other XI major bosses tend to be a bit too big for the game's system.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'boss' but a notable villain too -- XI has plenty of 'human' villains to pull from outside of the Zilart twins.

That being said, Eald'Narche as a playable character would be GOAT.

The problem with XI areas is that most are either too big to represent properly, not universal enough (anything too associated with the starter cities or the corresponding beastman factions), too awkward to navigate as 3vs3 teams (most indoors spaces - remember the Pandemonium castle area in the original Dissidia?), or too small and cramped (most arenas, like the Empyrean Paradox that made it to Duodecim).

One place that might do a good job at representing FFXI and its lore while being mostly reasonable space-wise is the Hall of the Gods - it's a bit corridor-ish, but has a lot a vertical space, it's pretty long without being too long, and the statues of Altana and chained Promathia at either end give a nice glimpse into the game's mythos - there's no actual fighting in that area in the game, but what it representes is important for 2 major expansions and in the Abyssea stories it was a point of multiversal meetings.

Hall of the Gods would be an AWESOME choice (It's no more corridory than the FF13 map already in there). Empyreal Paradox needs to return too (especially since it serves plot purposes in Dissidia).

I think some dungeons could work, too -- Ra'Kaznar might be too new, but maybe an 'Emptiness' arena with references to the 4 Promyvion areas from XI's 'best' expansion.
Though, in my version of Dissidia, XI would have it's own huge roster :p.

BasilZero

I had my doubts but seeing this trailer has given me hype for this game!

(I just hope its as good as the PSP ones in terms of gameplay)

Jeels

I'd say we're definitely getting Gabranth back at the very least

I forgot about Gabranth..I guess XII is covered.

Anand I forgot shantotto was actually a villian...does that mean prishe is the hero representative?

I forgot about Gabranth..I guess XII is covered.

Anand I forgot shantotto was actually a villian...does that mean prishe is the hero representative?

Prishe is probably as close to a 'hero' as XI gets outside of the player. So yeah, that makes sense.

SoulUnison

Banned
I've never seen such an odious pile of trash. Though while it's doubtful sequel-only characters would ever be under consideration, I could actually see them going with Bhunivelze, in the form of Hope.

That would be really cruel if they added "Hope Estheim" to the roster and his EX Mode was something like "Bhunivelze takes control!"

AgeEighty

The character models look great overall, but why did they have to give Zidane bishounen face? The original version is so much more interesting visually, including better hair:

Zidane+Tribal.jpg

Hoping we get Vivi as a playable character later on; imagine pitting him and Shantotto against one another.

Son Of D

They considered Eald'Narche and Kam'Lanaut for Duodecim as XI villains. So they could go with any of those two.

We have Gabranth as a XII antagonist already. Could see them going with Vayne if they added another.

XIII will probably be Dysley or Caius. Or go with LR version of Snow if they wanted to.

XIV, well Gaius is the only one I know so I can't comment there.

Damn, Besaid looks awesome.

The game is looking good, we might even get TNs famed win/lose poses from DOA5.

Music and summons look good too. I've never really liked the fighting system in Dissidia, so that will always make me worry, but otherwise it looks great.

Cast-wise, I've never really felt the need for a ton of characters, so I'm good with re-threading the originals. I do want to see FFX-3 Yuna maybe...

Alcahest

Is this new trailer available elsewhere in better quality/bitrate than on YT (which is quite the macroblock fest) ?

Hedge

This is just a fighter game with the Dissidia name, right? There is no actual RPG elements to it, I suppose?

Razmos

I definitely think Prishe should have been the hero representative rather than Shantotto. I think Shantotto is amazing but she'd be even better as a villain.

This is just a fighter game with the Dissidia name, right? There is no actual RPG elements to it, I suppose?

We know there's leveling (they said that's how you unlock more skills).

We don't know about equipment or single player stuff because this is an arcade cabinet though. So we have to wait for the console version to see if they'll add that.

Loona

Wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'boss' but a notable villain too -- XI has plenty of 'human' villains to pull from outside of the Zilart twins.

That being said, Eald'Narche as a playable character would be GOAT.

Personally I don't think the Zilart bros have that much gravitas to them, although they certainly have combat data (and I recall recently reading something justifying Kam'lanaut as a Rune Fencer, between his elemental switches and the fact the RUN quests involve the Strange Apparatuses).

Nag'molada from CoP could work, since we see a whole lot more of him in his expansions, and he's also briefly in Wings of the Goddess, even he's not in an actual fight in the game - some stuff from the mammets and maybe some promathian skills, considering how he ends up.

Prishe is probably as close to a 'hero' as XI gets outside of the player. So yeah, that makes sense.

Lion, Zeid, Lilisette and Arciela also qualify, as does Iroha in the latest expansion (
and her being the player's apprentice from the future is one hell of an approximation of the player character
)

Etria

That trailer renewed much of the hype I had when this was announced. Looks so good, and the music was awesome.

If only they had replaced Vaan with Balthier.

They can just add Balthier in and I will be happy. Throw in Basch while they're at it :p

I will buy if Ramza and Delita are in.

Ramza has been confirmed (best character!) and would be amazing if Delita makes it in as well. Which side would he be on though, I wonder...

Loona

Edit : Shadow Lord, or Lady Lilith? Or Both?!

Lillith has a human-like size in her favor, even in her boss combat form, not to mention she appears a whole lot more in her mission line.
On the other hand, Wings of the Goddess isn't exactly considered as central to the FFXI mythos as the whole Shadow Lord/Zilart/Promathia stuff, although it has a bit of a role in it...

Since it looks like the snow stage is Narshe indeed, and the dark stone stuff is the Interdimensional Rift, looks like the Hall of the Gods is still an open option to represent XI, at least - to this day it still amazes me that they bothered to create that whole area which is functionally a corridor with few events beyond you walking through it, yet says so much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That trailer renewed much of the hype I had when this was announced. Looks so good, and the music was awesome.

They can just add Balthier in and I will be happy. Throw in Basch while they're at it :p

Ramza has been confirmed (best character!) and would be amazing if Delita makes it in as well. Which side would he be on though, I wonder...

His own side, of course.

Son Of D

Anyone good at making gifs? Looking for gifs of each of the character "splash screens".

Like this but the animated one:

CSdFibtW4AAKzY8.jpg:large

pooptest

They considered Eald'Narche and Kam'Lanaut for Duodecim as XI villains. So they could go with any of those two.

We have Gabranth as a XII antagonist already. Could see them going with Vayne if they added another.

XIII will probably be Dysley or Caius. Or go with LR version of Snow if they wanted to.

XIV, well Gaius is the only one I know so I can't comment there.

I would honestly love to fight a giant Shadow Lord.

SkyOdin

Oh, so no Narshe? Wonder what VI stage will be then. Figaro Desert?

The desert stage is likely going to be the Dalmasca Estersand or Westersand. The desert outside Rabenastre is pretty iconic to FFXII, and would be a good pick.

I have no idea what the FF II or FF III stages are going to be though. Maybe one of the unending number of caves in FF II?

We still need a forest stage too, in order to round out the common FF terrain types.

Berordn

I like how all the CGI scenes show them getting pounded to bits by mysterious off-screen enemies and then they run off to face off against mysterious invisible antagonists.

Like they're trying to hide that the Chaos side is going to show up, for some reason.

Top Bottom