• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

gillty

Banned
Aug 25, 2007
3,405
0
0
Darkman M said:
Wondering should i upgrade my graphics card for this game. My current rig is about 3 years old

e6600
4gb ddr 2 ram
8800GT

I play my pc games on a sharp 52 inch 1080p tv for the record.
8800gt is 2 years old this week, Assuming that e6600 is oc'd I'd think you'll probably be able to run it at 1920x1080 likely not max or any aa but you should be able to run it. 4890's are pretty cheap this day sub $200.
 

zulfate

Member
Jan 19, 2009
1,823
0
0
I can't wait to play this.....the good old days of bg2 and sneaking into that temple(i don't remember what it was called) only to be capture and force to join that religious group..... you guys think this game will have moments like that? or do you think it's more like just straight forward stories?

random bar fights! i miss those too.
 

BrettWeir

Member
Jun 11, 2009
2,779
435
980
Holy crap. I just looked through my CD case that holds all my games. I have BG2 (with bonus disc) and BG2: Throne of Bhaal: The Final Chapter. I had no idea I even had the game.........never played it. If DA:O wasnt coming out so soon, I would play it. Guess I have something for later down the road.

Simply can not wait for DA:O on PC. No idea how anyone could play a game like this on a console. But then again, I cant believe people play FPS on console. Mouse/key are far superior.
 

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Apr 16, 2007
19,994
0
0
BrettWeir said:
Holy crap. I just looked through my CD case that holds all my games. I have BG2 (with bonus disc) and BG2: Throne of Bhaal: The Final Chapter. I had no idea I even had the game.........never played it. If DA:O wasnt coming out so soon, I would play it. Guess I have something for later down the road.

Simply can not wait for DA:O on PC. No idea how anyone could play a game like this on a console. But then again, I cant believe people play FPS on console. Mouse/key are far superior.


You know your argument is as old as time right?

I will be getting the 360 version and I am pretty sure I will enjoy it as much as I would on the PC version. It's a matter of preference... and thank god we have choices.
 

BrettWeir

Member
Jun 11, 2009
2,779
435
980
Relix said:
You know your argument is as old as time right?

I will be getting the 360 version and I am pretty sure I will enjoy it as much as I would on the PC version. It's a matter of preference... and thank god we have choices.

It's not my argument. :)
 

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Apr 16, 2007
19,994
0
0
BrettWeir said:
It's not my argument. :)

Ugh I am definitely not gonna get into this thing. Huge waste of time. At the end of the day I am sure the console versions will outsell the PC ones, and I am fairly sure most of those people will enjoy it as much as those of the PC version. I am hearing Bioware did an excellent job of adapting everything, and I am sure I will enjoy it a lot =).
 

jabipun

Member
Jul 11, 2009
562
0
0
Question, what is this game about?

Is it like Baldur's Gate? Is it like Oblivion?

Is it co-op or just single player. Is it a more condensed RPG experience (15 or so hours) or is it longer (i.e, Oblivion/Fallout 3)

Is it story heavy? Or RPG/character development heavy?

I try to get information for this game and all I get is pre-rendered CGi bullshit cutscenes which doesn't fucking tell me shit.

also - release date on 360?
 

JayDubya

Banned
May 2, 2006
19,834
3
0
bengraven said:
I'm addicted to the crappy web game. :lol

For what it is, a free-to-play web-browser RPG... it ain't really crappy.

It's not as pure, simple, fun, and fast as Monster's Den was, and the story and characters are meh, but it's still pretty decent and I like playing with the skill trees.
 

Wag

Member
Mar 23, 2008
14,324
129
1,200
www.cs.helsinki.fi
jabipun said:
Question, what is this game about?

Is it like Baldur's Gate? Is it like Oblivion?

Is it co-op or just single player. Is it a more condensed RPG experience (15 or so hours) or is it longer (i.e, Oblivion/Fallout 3)

Is it story heavy? Or RPG/character development heavy?

I try to get information for this game and all I get is pre-rendered CGi bullshit cutscenes which doesn't fucking tell me shit.

also - release date on 360?
http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/faq
 

Vercingetorix

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
734
0
0
jabipun said:
Question, what is this game about?

Is it like Baldur's Gate? Is it like Oblivion?

Is it co-op or just single player. Is it a more condensed RPG experience (15 or so hours) or is it longer (i.e, Oblivion/Fallout 3)

Is it story heavy? Or RPG/character development heavy?

I try to get information for this game and all I get is pre-rendered CGi bullshit cutscenes which doesn't fucking tell me shit.

also - release date on 360?

Much more like Baldur's Gate. Supposed to be the spiritual successor, and you don't have real-time control over sword swinging and such as you do in Oblivion.

Singleplayer only, supposed to be the "longer" kind of RPG, they claim 70 hours. I'd bet around 30-40 for experienced RPG players.

It seems to be both story and character development heavy.

Look up the release date yourself. You have internet access and a pulse, you can google it.
 

Old Lace

Member
May 31, 2009
727
0
0
USA
I want to play the pc version, but I'm not sure if my specs are up to snuff. I need opinions.

This my laptop:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2 GHz CPU
AMD RADEON Mobility 2600 with 512 MB of RAM
14.1" WXGA High-Definition Display With 1280 x 800 Resolution
200 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB DDR2 System Memory

Is an HD 2600 good enough? The character creator seemed to work great.
 

Teknopathetic

Member
Jun 6, 2004
24,114
4
0
"Singleplayer only, supposed to be the "longer" kind of RPG, they claim 70 hours. I'd bet around 30-40 for experienced RPG players."

Again, Bioware claimed 100, reviewers are saying 70.
 

Zeliard

Member
Apr 23, 2008
34,712
0
0
36
Vercingetorix said:
Much more like Baldur's Gate. Supposed to be the spiritual successor, and you don't have real-time control over sword swinging and such as you do in Oblivion.

Singleplayer only, supposed to be the "longer" kind of RPG, they claim 70 hours. I'd bet around 30-40 for experienced RPG players.

Experienced RPG players are more likely to explore and take their time, I would think. A game like this is a minimum of 50 hours unless you want to miss a ton of stuff.
 

fanboi

Banned
Oct 18, 2007
13,991
1
1,000
Sweden
I just want to know how the exploration is like, if its like NWN (narrow point a to b) or BG2 style (different places to go, as NWN, but the map is open and dark were you haven't explored).
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
28,058
65,994
2,450
fanboi said:
I just want to know how the exploration is like, if its like NWN (narrow point a to b) or BG2 style (different places to go, as NWN, but the map is open and dark were you haven't explored).

BG2 style. Vast majority of the game is non-linear, game world opens up 7-8 hours in.
 

Rad-

Member
Jan 31, 2009
15,330
0
680
Review update time:

PC Gamer Sweden:

Pros:
- Excellent voice acting
- Toolset
- Great story and characters
- Well done game world

Cons:
- Loading screens too long sometimes
- Engine can't handle big areas that well

95% (1% higher than BG2)

PC Zone UK:

Pros;
- Fascinating fantasy world
- Entertaining companions (they pick Alistair as the show stealer)
- Stellar twisting, turning storyline
- Addictive character development

Cons:
- Difficulty all over the place

93%

Gamestar Germany:

Pros:
- Characters: the first RPG where your Party Members really have a huge impact on the story -> aside from atmosphere it also adds to the replay value
- Classes and Talents: many possibilities
- Quests: hands down the best quest-design ever seen. He especially liked a quest which consisted only of one 10 minute long conversation, where the player and his/her companions could heavily influence the outcome. Quality comes at the cost of quantity. There are not as many Side-quests like in Mass Effect for example.
- Tactical combat: very exciting, tactical battles
- Presentation of the story: film-like cut-scenes. Great conversations. Characters you really care about and which will stay in the players mind even long after the game is beaten.
- Beautiful locations

Cons:
- Graphics: One can clearly see that the game was in development for like 5 years. On the other hand graphics are very coherent (they call it the "WoW-Factor") especially in cut-scenes and conversations.
- Linearity: The game is more linear than BG2. There is very little Exploration. In most areas you can only go from A to B without any sideways ("hose-levels").
- Silent PC
- Too few items: there are only a hand full Weapons and Armors in the game (although you can enhance them individually with runes)

Overall the campaign takes 30-40 hours divided in roughly: (= meaning main story length)
- 40% fights
- 30% cut-scenes and conversations
- 20% Character-management (leveling up and so on)
- 10% Exploration

92% (third highest RPG score of all time)
Also there's a page with 10 other guys giving their short rating for DA, all of them gave it 5/5.

PCGames Germany:

Pros:
- Great Plot
- Great Combat sequences
- Diversified Quests, different solutions possible
- Great replayability due Origins

Cons:
- Washy environment textures
- Levels backdrop-like
- Too much blood, which can not be disabled

91%
 

MirageDwarf

Member
Sep 8, 2006
4,969
1
0
I haven't placed my order yet because I can't decide if I want physical copy or steam version. I like physical copy with big instruction booklet. If this game had steam registration, would have been best. Buy physical copy, register it on steam. Best of both worlds.

Teknopathetic said:
"Singleplayer only, supposed to be the "longer" kind of RPG, they claim 70 hours. I'd bet around 30-40 for experienced RPG players."

Again, Bioware claimed 100, reviewers are saying 70.

One of Bioware doctors said it took him around 120 hrs to complete 95%. Of course it is exaggerated but yeah there is definitely lots and lots of contents.
 

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Apr 25, 2009
17,350
1
0
MirageDwarf said:
One of Bioware doctors said it took him around 120 hrs to complete 95%. Of course it is exaggerated but yeah if there is definitely lots and lots of contents.
Yeah that was Ray. GameStar.de says 30-40 hours. ;-)
 

MirageDwarf

Member
Sep 8, 2006
4,969
1
0
Rad- said:
Review update time:

PCGames Germany:

Cons:
- Too much blood, which can not be disabled

May be it wasn't there in review copy but there is an option to tone down gore. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18171962&postcount=1679


Darkman M said:
Is this game gonna be mod friendly like Oblivion?

Yes. This faqs will be very helpful - http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/

bandresen said:
Yeah that was Ray. GameStar.de says 30-40 hours. ;-)

For main story I assume.
 

Darkman M

Member
Aug 17, 2007
14,731
0
0
MirageDwarf said:
May be it wasn't there in review copy but there is an option to tone down gore. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18171962&postcount=1679




Yes. This faqs will be very helpful - http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/



For main story I assume.


Thanks, what a huge fucking faqs :lol

DennisK4 said:
Yes it will. But hopefully, unlike Oblivion, it will be a great game even without mods.

We'll that's awesome news, im completely sold on this game as of today.
 

Dennis

Banned
Jul 7, 2009
46,556
1
0
Rad- said:
Review update time:

Gamestar Germany:

Pros:
- Characters: the first RPG where your Party Members really have a huge impact on the story -> aside from atmosphere it also adds to the replay value
- Classes and Talents: many possibilities
- Quests: hands down the best quest-design ever seen. He especially liked a quest which consisted only of one 10 minute long conversation, where the player and his/her companions could heavily influence the outcome. Quality comes at the cost of quantity. There are not as many Side-quests like in Mass Effect for example.
- Tactical combat: very exciting, tactical battles
- Presentation of the story: film-like cut-scenes. Great conversations. Characters you really care about and which will stay in the players mind even long after the game is beaten.
- Beautiful locations

Cons:
- Graphics: One can clearly see that the game was in development for like 5 years. On the other hand graphics are very coherent (they call it the "WoW-Factor") especially in cut-scenes and conversations.
- Linearity: The game is more linear than BG2. There is very little Exploration. In most areas you can only go from A to B without any sideways ("hose-levels").
- Silent PC
- Too few items: there are only a hand full Weapons and Armors in the game (although you can enhance them individually with runes)

Overall the campaign takes 30-40 hours divided in roughly: (= meaning main story length)
- 40% fights
- 30% cut-scenes and conversations
- 20% Character-management (leveling up and so on)
- 10% Exploration

92% (third highest RPG score of all time)
Also there's a page with 10 other guys giving their short rating for DA, all of them gave it 5/5.

PCGames Germany:

Pros:
- Great Plot
- Great Combat sequences
- Diversified Quests, different solutions possible
- Great replayability due Origins

Cons:
- Washy environment textures
- Levels backdrop-like
- Too much blood, which can not be disabled

91%
So the reviews indicate that we are in for a treat - particularily the tactical combat.
The only negatives for me seem to be the bolded - too linear and the graphics could be better.
 

Rad-

Member
Jan 31, 2009
15,330
0
680
More to the Gamestar review:

- Reviewer wanted to give DA even higher score but few bugs annoyed him so he took the score down a bit. However the bugs are such kind that they will probably be fixed in the first patch or so.
- When he mentions 30-40 hour length, he's just talking about the main quest. He doesn't mention the length of the whole game.
- Map is pretty much like in BG. There is a drawn map from where you pick your places to go. You can't walk from one place to another.
- About the linearity: most dungeons are "go directly from the start to the end", there's no second ways in. Another problem is that you can't really explore the world unless you have gotten that side quest first. So basically DA is exactly like BG2 in this area (I honestly don't think it's a con at all but opinions, opinions).
- Small negative: voice volumes are random. Some cut scenes are quiet, some are louder. However they played the German version.
- More weapon/armor models would be welcome. There's a lot of stuff that have different stats but look the same.
- Reviewer says he feels like nitpicking with some of the negatives. Overall the game is amazing.
 

DodgerSan

Member
Dec 6, 2008
1,721
2
1,010
I believe I read somewhere that the Blood Dragon Armour bonus is cross platform. Meaning if I buy the PC version, the armour will be available on Mass Effect 2 on 360.

Can anyone confirm this?
 

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Apr 25, 2009
17,350
1
0
DodgerSan said:
I believe I read somewhere that the Blood Dragon Armour bonus is cross platform. Meaning if I buy the PC version, the armour will be available on Mass Effect 2 on 360.

Can anyone confirm this?
7:30 Ray Muzyka: Blood Dragon armor comes in all new copies of the game on PS3 as well - it kicks ass. The Blood Dragon armor is linked to your online community account so once you register and download it for PS3, it'll 'unlock the magic' of the Blood Dragon armor in Mass Effect 2 on 360 and PC too!

Source: playstation blog
 

FFChris

Member
Dec 7, 2006
5,207
1
0
Just watched the Giant Bomb quick look, and I'm really surprised how well this has translated to console. Though I play a mage, so 6 slots only might be a big disadvantage to me.

Might play this on 360, would feel pretty horrible after playing BG1 and BG2 on a PC for so long.. but these days I don't have a PC good enough. Glad the console port is fairly decent.
 

Xapati

Member
May 30, 2007
1,977
0
0
kafka rock opera said:
Did it run the character creator with relative ease? If not probably time to upgrade.

My machine ran the character creator with ease, yet it is far from the recommended specs (which are a quad core). So I'm not sure if you can tell how well your computer will run the game by looking at how well the character creator runs.
 

NIN90

Member
Apr 13, 2008
11,441
2
1,045
Germany
Rad- said:
More to the Gamestar review:

- Reviewer wanted to give DA even higher score but few bugs annoyed him so he took the score down a bit. However the bugs are such kind that they will probably be fixed in the first patch or so.
- When he mentions 30-40 hour length, he's just talking about the main quest. He doesn't mention the length of the whole game.
- Map is pretty much like in BG. There is a drawn map from where you pick your places to go. You can't walk from one place to another.
- About the linearity: most dungeons are "go directly from the start to the end", there's no second ways in. Another problem is that you can't really explore the world unless you have gotten that side quest first. So basically DA is exactly like BG2 in this area (I honestly don't think it's a con at all but opinions, opinions).
- Small negative: voice volumes are random. Some cut scenes are quiet, some are louder. However they played the German version.
- More weapon/armor models would be welcome. There's a lot of stuff that have different stats but look the same.
- Reviewer says he feels like nitpicking with some of the negatives. Overall the game is amazing.

Did they mention an option to change the voice acting to English? Most German voice acting that reviewers say are good tend to be terrible to me.

Would have to buy on Steam if there's no such option. :(
 

Xapati

Member
May 30, 2007
1,977
0
0
NIN90 said:
Did they mention an option to change the voice acting to English? Most German voice acting that reviewers say are good tend to be terrible to me.

Would have to buy on Steam if there's no such option. :(

Buy it from Amazon.uk then if you do not want DD.
 

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Apr 25, 2009
17,350
1
0
NIN90 said:
Did they mention an option to change the voice acting to English? Most German voice acting that reviewers say are good tend to be terrible to me.

Would have to buy on Steam if there's no such option. :(
The PC and PS3 version will be in both german (Voice/Text) and english (Voice/Text).
The 360 version will only be available in german.

Source: gameswelt (german)
 

Kuraudo

Banned
Dec 5, 2008
3,732
0
0
Glad to see the positive reviews. No idea when I'll find time to play an RPG of this size, but I'll make it through even if it means playing nothing else until the middle of next year.

I always had faith in you, Bioware,
except all those times when I thought the game looked crappy.
Glad I was right
or wrong. Whatever.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
Rad- said:
- Linearity: The game is more linear than BG2. There is very little Exploration. In most areas you can only go from A to B without any sideways ("hose-levels").
Well, I trust Gamestar on that. It can't all be perfect. Actually I trust the review more now since it mentions an actual drawback but says the game is great in spite of that.
 

Minsc

Member
Oct 1, 2007
13,901
0
1,200
Eastern Shores
Xapati said:
My machine ran the character creator with ease, yet it is far from the recommended specs (which are a quad core). So I'm not sure if you can tell how well your computer will run the game by looking at how well the character creator runs.

A Bioware developer has said the game runs maxed out on a 8800 GT, with just a duo core cpu, so the recommended specs are completely wrong according to him. We'll see soon enough!

If you can play the game on the PC, make sure you buy it on the PC, if not, you'll only regret it in a few months when everyone starts posting screenshots with their mods running. :)