• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
UPDATE:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/10/new-2013-dragon-ball-z-movie-title-battle-of-gods/

Manga-news Japon has posted a new image (which appears to semi-originate on a 2ch thread) promoting the new theatrical Dragon Ball Z movie set to hit Japanese theaters on 2013 March 30, and this time we have a title: ”Battle of Gods”, with a possible subtitle of Kami to Kami (“God and God”).

GfbRB.jpg

Super Saiyan Goku is blocking an elbow from a rabbit-esque character (with what we think looks like some futuristic Egyptian garb), with yet another new character centered behind them showered in light. A good mix of returning characters line the bottom of the image, including Gohan (transformed into a Super Saiyan, interestingly enough for this point in the story), Vegeta, Trunks, Bulma, Piccolo, Goten, and Majin Buu. A female character is also shown, which could possibly be Videl with one of her short haircuts, though it could also be one of the various Dragon Ball Heroes female avatar characters making a cameo… or any other variety of random character insertions. Tenshinhan appears to be hanging out in the far background, and there are even a couple other tiny additions that we will not even attempt to make calls on!

It is worth noting that the image appears to be a screen shot itself taken off a computer screen (specifically a Mac OS computer) — we do not know the origin of the image, and cannot yet 100% vouch for its legitimacy.

UPDATE: TEASER FOOTAGE

GET HYPE HYPE HYPE

CG BACKGROUNDS

WHAT!?!

UPDATE: MEGATONNE THE MOVIE IS CANON

This year's 33rd issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine revealed on Saturday that the upcoming Dragon Ball film will be set betweeen the 517th and 518th installments of Akira Toriyama's original manga. Specifically, it is set during the "lost decade" of story time after the end of the battle with Majin Buu. Kuririn, Piccolo, Vegeta, and other familar characters will appear in the film. The film is not a spinoff, but a story in the official history of Dragon Ball.

Akira Toriyama has been deeply involved in the film's production from the early screenwriting stages. Masahiro Hosoda (Dragon Ball Z episode director, Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun) is directing at Toei off a script by Yūsuke Watanabe (live-action 20th Century Boys trilogy, Gantz, Bloody Monday, Future Diary).

Anime News Network

UPDATE:

Kazenshuu:

Following up on this morning’s announcement leak are the first details about the new animated Dragon Ball movie (and what appears to be a specifically Dragon Ball Z movie) on the way, now confirmed for a Japanese theatrical release 30 March 2013.

The tagline for the movie (as first seen on the mystery countdown website) is 最強、始動。(“The mightiest get moving.”), followed by 全人類待望。かつてない興奮へー。 (“All humanity has been waiting. Toward an unprecedented excitement–.”).

The movie’s director has been announced as Masahiro Hosoda (細田雅弘), who directed several episodes during the Cell arc of the Dragon Ball Z TV series. The script will be written by Yūsuke Watanabe (渡辺雄介), a newcomer to the franchise, though one with an extensive and on-going history of work. Animation direction will be provided by Tadayoshi Yamamuro (山室直儀), a well-known veteran of the franchise responsible for a plethora of animation direction and promotional art work.

Also included is a special note from original manga author Akira Toriyama, who appears to be “deeply involved” with the script writing of a Dragon Ball movie for the first time:

珍しく、というより初めてアニメーションに脚本の段階から深く関わらせてもらいました。
なにしろ久しぶりだったので忘れていることも多かったのですが、さすが原作者、すぐにテンポだけは思い出すことができました。
今回の映画は、オリジナルの雰囲気はそのままに、ほんの少しだけ味付けを現代風にして、昔どおりの楽しい娯楽作品になると思います!

It’s rare, or I should say, it’s the first time, that I’ve been deeply involved with the animation from the scriptwriting stage.
It had been a while, so there was a lot I’d forgotten, but as expected of the creator of the original work, I was soon able to get back into the tempo of things, at least.
For this film, while leaving the atmosphere of the original intact, we’ve added just a little bit of modern flavor, so I think it will be an enjoyable work of entertainment, just like old times.

A new www.dragonball2013.com domain name is listed on the promotional art, which currently loads a mostly-blank page (filled with just a couple placeholder dashes at the moment).

uAJET.jpg

Anime News Network:
This year's 33rd issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is announcing on Saturday that a new film adaptation of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball manga has been green-lit.

The official website for the magazine had already opened a "D" teaser page with a countdown to a "surprise" on Saturday, July 14.

Teaser site

Shenron in the teaser site:

ibeSAfzrdDdnpC.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's never what we think it is. There is always a catch.

Juicy Bob

SPOILER:
Earth is attacked by a super-powerful, planet-destroying villain. Goku fights them for a bit, gets the shit kicked out of him, gets desperate, transforms into Ultra SSJ5 and defeats said villain by flicking a toenail at him. Everyone dead is brought back to life via the Dragonballs, film ends with Vegeta and Goku about to square off with Krillin lamenting "woah boy, here we go again!".

Takao

Banned
Just let it die already, goddamn.

If it's a rehash of something we already have, than sure. But if it's new, how about no? Fans have been clamoring for something new since GT ended in 1997, and while we've gotten "new" stuff since then outside of the 2008 special they feel like retreads.

Pretty big deal if Toriyama is writing a new story. As long as he ignores GT, I'm in. They can easily claim this is happening between the events of Z and GT.

Takao

Banned
Pretty big deal if Toriyama is writing a new story. As long as he ignores GT, I'm in. They can easily claim this is happening between the events of Z and GT.

Toriyama was behind the story concepts for both the 2008 special, and DBO. Neither one either acknowledges or dispels the events in GT, lol.

I just want a sequel to Dragonball Evolution, and for it to be just as bad.

I seriously laughed my ass off the entire time with my roommate, good times.

Reiko

Banned
Son Goku and Vegeta Re-Unite to defeat a powerful foe! 1 million zenkais, MAXIMUM POWAH!!!

And hopefully a cameo from Broly.

EDIT: Yeah I'm really looking forward to it

Amagon

SPOILER:
Earth is attacked by a super-powerful, planet-destroying villain. Goku fights them for a bit, gets the shit kicked out of him, gets desperate, transforms into Ultra SSJ5 and defeats said villain by flicking a toenail at him. Everyone dead is brought back to life via the Dragonballs, film ends with Vegeta and Goku about to square off with Krillin lamenting "woah boy, here we go again!".

Now I'm really hyped for this movie to come out!!!

Takao

Banned
Son Goku and Vegeta Re-Unite to defeat a powerful foe! 1 million zenkais, MAXIMUM POWAH!!!

And hopefully a cameo from Broly.

EDIT: Yeah I'm really looking forward to it

The sooner the world forgets about Broly, the better Dragon Ball will be for it. He's one of the worst Gary Stu characters the franchise has ever birthed, and this is a franchise that has characters like Garlic Jr.

NeonZ

Toriyama was behind the story concepts for both the 2008 special, and DBO. Neither one either acknowledges or dispels the events in GT, lol.

The final chapter of Neko Majin Z showed older versions of some of the characters from Z's last chapters who were different from the GT ones. If this movie really is made with Toriyama's involvement, I don't think it'll acknowledge GT at all.

Takao

Banned
The final chapter of Neko Majin Z showed older versions of some of the characters from Z's last chapters who were different from the GT ones. If this movie really is made with Toriyama's involvement, I don't think it'll acknowledge GT at all.

Neko Majin Z isn't exactly a serious story in the world of Dragon Ball, lol.

Ive seen some youtube videos of a new DBZ anime coming out, are they real? I hope its true and we see Super Sayan 5s and 6s.

What are you talking about?

SPOILER:

Just as well you spoiler tagged that, woulda ruined the film for everyone.

How'd you get the inside scoop anyway?

Reiko

Banned
The sooner the world forgets about Broly, the better Dragon Ball will be for it. He's one of the worst Gary Stu characters the franchise has ever birthed, and this is a franchise that has characters like Garlic Jr.

For once, Goku was not the super, high power level star of the show. The only thing Goku had for his protection was the plot shield and Toei Punch.

Yeah Broly was a crappy character.

Raonak

Banned
Buu and GT especially were pretty medicore.

He should just make a series of movies that take place in an alternate timeline after the end of the cell saga.

Or make it take place during the gap between cell saga and buu saga. theres lots of time to fill in. Bojack movie was pretty awesome.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Maybe they can give an interesting explaination as to why Goku turned SSJ2 and 3 other than saying "yeah he trained real hard guys".

Yeah they'll probably never do that.

Maybe we'll get Super Saiyan Raditz in the movie. I know everyone wanted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom