• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
I still want my Dragon Ball anthology series that talks about the other people who discovered the Dragon Balls over the ages. But unfortunately no Goku means no go. :(

Backflip

They should make an entire movie about Tienshinhan, the real hero of DB/DBZ.

Agreed. Tenshinhan is by far my favorite Dragon Ball character. His scenes in all the sagas are legendary. I hope they won't give him the shaft like they did in the 2008 special.

jaxword

Agreed. Tenshinhan is by far my favorite Dragon Ball character. His scenes in all the sagas are legendary. I hope they won't give him the shaft like they did in the 2008 special.

That was done because his voice actor died and didn't replace him out of respect for that.

DominoKid

Im in!

But i cant believe people actually want shit tier characters like Tien and Krillin to get some attention. Theyre spectator as they should be because they suck.

just gotta say Gohan really disappointed me with his studying bullshit, he could been the strongest!

SSJ2 Gohan!!!!, he fucking let me down, Toriyama shoulda been like fuck goku, fck th ditors and fuck the fans im ending this shit right here. Then he goes on to tease the Gohan fans with mystic Gohan and send him right back to irrelevancy right after.

I have to say this shit in every DBZ thread.

I never really did get why Gohan was the chosen one. Goku was the first SSJ (despite being born low class) in a really really long time, and he was the one who somehow won at all costs. Seems like if there was any character that had that "chosen one" aura, it would be him.

Fuck Gohan. He never worked for shit.

I'm hoping for AT LEAST more Vegeta action, personally. As in, a meaningful fight, not jobbing to the villain so Goku can step in with the Spirit Bomb bs.

BHZ Mayor

The only thing from GT that was good, was SSJ4 > SSJ3. The way I would have had it was SSJ4 was what happened when you fully mastered your powers in your monkey form.

Also, Super 17 was pretty cool.

Super 17 was not cool. Not cool at all. To have a SSJ2-capable Vegeta, a Gohan that wrecked Super Buu, Goten and Trunks who can fuse, and Uub who is the reincarnation of Buu all lose to Android fucking 17, is just plain unacceptable.

Anth0ny

Hyped.

I hope this isn't too light hearted. Light hearted is good, and works with Dragon Ball, but I think we've had enough over the last few years.

Episode of Bardock wasn't bad, but it was a little short.

Effect

I just want a sequel to Dragonball Evolution, and for it to be just as bad.

I seriously laughed my ass off the entire time with my roommate, good times.

I've seen this film at least twice now. First time was just out of curosity and the second when I had nothing else better to do one day when it was on TV again. I went into it thinking it would be a horrible mess and was surprised it wasn't. Don't get me wrong. It isn't a good film but it is watchable and enjoyable in some parts. However it is where near as bad as some make it out to be.

Vyktal

I think a lot of the power level disparity comes from the fact that Vegeta was originally intended to be the last villain. (DBZ was originally only supposed to be one arc) But because the series continued on, characters had to keep rising exponentially in power to raise the stakes. Personally, I just want to see the secondary characters contribute in a meaningful fashion. I wouldn't mind if Goku didn't appear at all.

Did not know about that Vegeta fact! Amazing how much DBZ exploded. The pre-teen/teenage 90s male market was ripe for the picking!

And I completely agree with your last point. I loved Goku when I was younger, but now I just see him as being shallow and boring.

It'd be awesome if the humans could get more involved and if they could expand the combat options beyond punches, kicks and varieties of beams (i.e. have a villain whose power level is negligible but he has some special ki-manipulating abilities which add a new element to fights).

I have such a nostalgic love for this show...

ArjanN

One of the first memories of me using the internet was as a 10/11 year old, reading the Planet Namek forum discussions on power levels, and being completely riveted.

That was about 13 years ago.

Good times.

It always cracks me up when half the xbox live profile names still have dragonball stuff in them.

Vyktal

Regarding the movie, am I the only one praying it has nothing to do with young Goten and Trunks?

These are probably my least favourite characters in the entire series.
- Little arrogant prodigy kids
- More bloody saiyans!
- Further devalue super saiyans
- Exponentially stronger than everyone when they were the same age for no plausible reason
- Take screen time away from better characters

They just represent everything rubbish about DB after the Frieza/Cell saga.

jaxword

Did not know about that Vegeta fact!

That's because it isn't true...there's no indications at all about the "Saiyin saga" being the finale. Some guy already went over the entire series with a fine toothed comb and determined that all the so-called intended endings have no evidence. It also makes no thematic sense for Vegeta to be the final villain since they just killed off the entire cast and there's no way light-hearted Toriyama would end things like that.

Freeza being the finale is believable. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe Cell. But those are pretty much it.

That's because it isn't true...there's no indications at all about the "Saiyin saga" being the finale. Some guy already went over the entire series with a fine toothed comb and determined that all the so-called intended endings have no evidence. It also makes no thematic sense for Vegeta to be the final villain since they just killed off the entire cast and there's no way light-hearted Toriyama would end things like that.

Freeza being the finale is believable. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe Cell. But those are pretty much it.

Source? I'm digging up mine, but Vegeta as a final stopping point is way more plausible then Freeza.

J-Rzez

Will follow.

I do wish they would just do a reboot to the Freiza and Cell series though. Give it a modern anime look. Keep the same English VAs of course.

DBZ and perhaps Initial D are the only series I'd love to see reboots of.

jaxword

Source? I'm digging up mine, but Vegeta as a final stopping point is way more plausible then Freeza.

You're probably reading the same source I am, this guy here:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

edit--Ok, so everyone is using the same source, ha.

Now that I read it again, though, I can see your point of view and it does make an interesting case for the Saiyin Saga ending it all.

However, it still ignores the point that Toriyama simply is not the type of author who would leave everyone dead. He just isn't, he has ALWAYS bent plausibility and narrative consistency backwards to give happy endings to as many as possible in everything he writes.

There's no way he'd leave the entire Z crew dead from Vegeta's hands, and after Piccolo died, this means no more Dragon Balls. No way he'd end the Dragon Ball series on such a sad note.

It'd be completely contrary to everything he's ever written before or after that.

No. That's simply not believable.

So while that article makes good points in general, I don't support the theory that Vegeta was the ending. Or, rather, the Vegeta story we GOT was the ending. If he changed his mind partway through the Saiyin fight to include Freeza, that I could believe, which is why he was ok with gratuitously killing off everyone.

Takao

Banned
How is Kai? I'm currently rewatching through DBZ.

Does it have the English dub cast and Bruce Falconer music?

Kai is a thing. It doesn't have the Boo saga. The dub's quality is considerably greater than Z's, but the music situation is all over the place. There is no US score for it though.

Kokonoe

Banned
Not having a Buu saga is an improvement in my book. Although, I don't like Gohan's voice in Kai, or the music selection.

Ashodin

I still kind of want to watch GT, but everyone tells me not to.

Don't, you will hate yourself.

The only reason to watch is for this fucker right here:

Uubuu.jpeg

YEAHHHH

Kokonoe

Banned
I like the Yamamoto plagiarism score. The Kikuchi placement is pretty poor from what I've seen.
I'd rather have Bruce Faulconer.

I still kind of want to watch GT, but everyone tells me not to.

GT is like Dragonball if you decided to incorporate a very loose DBZ style to it and completely neglect all character development that occurred in the previous entry.

It's also poorly written in my opinion, and is more comparable to a cartoon.

You're probably reading the same source I am, this guy here:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

edit--Ok, so everyone is using the same source, ha.

Now that I read it again, though, I can see your point of view and it does make an interesting case for the Saiyin Saga ending it all.

However, it still ignores the point that Toriyama simply is not the type of author who would leave everyone dead. He just isn't, he has ALWAYS bent plausibility and narrative consistency backwards to give happy endings to as many as possible in everything he writes.

There's no way he'd leave the entire Z crew dead from Vegeta's hands, and after Piccolo died, this means no more Dragon Balls. No way he'd end the Dragon Ball series on such a sad note.

It'd be completely contrary to everything he's ever written before or after that.

No. That's simply not believable.

So while that article makes good points in general, I don't support the theory that Vegeta was the ending. Or, rather, the Vegeta story we GOT was the ending. If he changed his mind partway through the Saiyin fight to include Freeza, that I could believe, which is why he was ok with gratuitously killing off everyone.
For the most part, I agree with where you're coming from. I don't think the fight with Nappa would have been so brutal if Toriyama didn't plan for the story to continue in some capacity. I see the "Vegeta was the last boss" as more of a theory of why the power levels started getting as crazy as they did.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm sure you could easily convince someone to come to your house and mash their hands on a synth while you watch. Would sound the same.

I view the music as one of the most creative Anime OSTs out there. It certainly is my favorite Anime OST, and I don't share your opinion at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom