• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbre

WTF is this?
kluVu.png

legend166

One of the first memories of me using the internet was as a 10/11 year old, reading the Planet Namek forum discussions on power levels, and being completely riveted.

That was about 13 years ago.

Good times.

Steelrain

Maybe they can give an interesting explaination as to why Goku turned SSJ2 and 3 other than saying "yeah he trained real hard guys".

Yeah they'll probably never do that.

Maybe we'll get Super Saiyan Raditz in the movie. I know everyone wanted that.
They might as well. Unless they want to redact everything after the Cell Saga they should just fucking stop because the "story" is complete and utter trash at this point. But no, I'm sure they'll turn up the gravity or some shit and someone will awaken their unlimited supply of hidden powers. Then they'll fight like they didn't just get their ass beat nearly to death for an hour.

Soodanim

At the end of GT, Goku is more powerful than any God (or other being, outside of magical ones) that exists in the entire universe, and the Dragon Balls are absorbed into him. I can't imagine there's much that would challenge this Super God "I sweat Dragon Balls" Goku. Who can turn SSJ4. For there to be something new, and there to actually be danger, GT cannot be canon.

Which is awesome, because it means Vegeta will still look like Vegeta. Cutting his hair and giving him a moustache is unforgivable.

Gloam

I'd be down with a Dragon Ball story. Always liked the tournaments in that series. Shit gets real now and then, and it's a good contrast to the comedy stuff. As others have mentioned there's probably a catch, a crossover with Toriko or something!

NeonZ

Neko Majin Z isn't exactly a serious story in the world of Dragon Ball, lol.

That only makes Toriyama making new post-Z designs stand out even more though. He could just have reused the last chapter designs or gone with GT's, but he did a new set of designs for Goku's family and Uub for a two or three page cameo. I think that suggests strongly that he won't reference or try to keep continuity with GT at all if he makes some post Z work.

At the end of GT, Goku is more powerful than any God (or other being, outside of magical ones) that exists in the entire universe, and the Dragon Balls are absorbed into him. I can't imagine there's much that would challenge this Super God "I sweat Dragon Balls" Goku. Who can turn SSJ4. For there to be something new, and there to actually be danger, GT cannot be canon.

Which is awesome, because it means Vegeta will still look like Vegeta. Cutting his hair and giving him a moustache is unforgivable.

Well, GT could have never been considered canon in any context, fortunately. The movies were always "what ifs" that took place in place of canon events, and GT rides on the coattails of the movieverse by incorporating several movie villains (FROM HELL), the Sacred Water from the Garlic Jr. saga, and other bullshit.

So GT is a giant "what if" itself.

The only thing from GT that was good, was SSJ4 > SSJ3. The way I would have had it was SSJ4 was what happened when you fully mastered your powers in your monkey form.

Also, Super 17 was pretty cool.

hwalker84

I wish they rebooted the saga after Cell and gave us a new cartoon. If not reboot after the Buu saga. Just let GT die in a fire.

Visceir

Should have an intergalactic version of Tenka'ichi Budōkai with no world saving bs, those were always the best parts of Dragonball.

Fuck yes. Hell, how about a story about any fucking character that isn't a Saiyan?

It would have been so bad ass if Tien learned the Spirit Bomb by the end of DBZ. He learned the Evil Containment Wave and taught all of the Z fighters the most useful techniques (flying and the Solar Flare). His last cool moment of the entire series was slapping around stage 2 Cell.

Vyktal

I actually wouldn't mind it if they basically scrapped everything past the Frieza saga and just restarted the series. That way we could get some different and more interesting storylines, non-saiyan characters could become more relevant (i.e. give Krillin fuckin kaioken) and (for the love of god) power levels could actually maintain some kind of consistent and reasonable grounding.

The power disparity utterly ruins the franchise, such as when beings like Frieza become jokes in the later part of the series (despite this 'weakling' still having the power to eradicate planets and entire civilisations) and children being millions of times stronger than their parents when they were of the same age (how do they not destroy solar systems with their temper tantrums?).

But I know I'm just beating a dead donkey with this rant and this is all just wishful thinking. The DB series has long since become a massive parody of itself.

Edit:
Ha, just realised the last 5+ posts are saying the exact same thing as me! Good times.

Soodanim

Well, GT could have never been considered canon in any context, fortunately. The movies were always "what ifs" that took place in place of canon events, and GT rides on the coattails of the movieverse by incorporating several movie villains (FROM HELL), the Sacred Water from the Garlic Jr. saga, and other bullshit.

So GT is a giant "what if" itself.
I never thought about that before. Good.

There are some things I liked about GT, but they don't outweigh the Black Star Dragon Balls and everything to do with them.

As much I love new DB appearing, really it should have stopped after Cell. Non-canon or backstory will be fine by me.

Einhander

I'd like an entirely new Dragon Ball universe, with new characters and story. Toriyama would have to be involved.

The movie has me curious.

I actually wouldn't mind it if they basically scrapped everything past the Frieza saga and just restarted the series. That way we could get some different and more interesting storylines, non-saiyan characters could become more relevant (i.e. give Krillin fuckin kaioken) and (for the love of god) power levels could actually maintain some kind of consistent and reasonable grounding.

The power disparity utterly ruins the franchise, such as when beings like Frieza become jokes in the later part of the series (despite this 'weakling' still having the power to eradicate planets and entire civilisations) and children being millions of times stronger than their parents when they were of the same age (how do they not destroy solar systems with their temper tantrums?).

But I know I'm just beating a dead donkey with this rant and this is all just wishful thinking. The DB series has long since become a massive parody of itself.

Edit:
Ha, just realised the last 5+ posts are saying the exact same thing as me! Good times.
I think a lot of the power level disparity comes from the fact that Vegeta was originally intended to be the last villain. (DBZ was originally only supposed to be one arc) But because the series continued on, characters had to keep rising exponentially in power to raise the stakes. Personally, I just want to see the secondary characters contribute in a meaningful fashion. I wouldn't mind if Goku didn't appear at all.

Goku arriving on earth and getting raised by Songohan, or maybe Piccolo's travel and raising to become God?

Many unexplored options

That could actually be a fun idea for a collection of short films of varying degrees of seriousness. Other ideas: Krillin's adventures in the afterlife after he was killed by Frieza. Vegeta's search for Goku and dealing with Frieza's remaining armies. The wacky misadventures of the Ginyu Force. I think Dragon Ball could benefit from the Animatrix treatment.

Fularu

Banned
That could actually be a fun idea for a collection of short films of varying degrees of seriousness. Other ideas: Krillin's adventures in the afterlife after he was killed by Frieza. Vegeta's search for Goku and dealing with Frieza's remaining armies. The wacky misadventures of the Ginyu Force. I think Dragon Ball could benefit from the Animatrix treatment.

I think exploring the past (and thus, the Dragon Ball part) would be more interesting than yet a new super powerfull beeing able to eradicate life within 5 galaxies with a sneeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom